Tough Guy's In Thailand

nietzche

Spend most of my working life in one type of blue suite or other and can usually pick who is for real is not. Real ones are not picking fights in bars.

Some crazy people out there that are just mean bad asses, but they spend most of their time in prison. Jim

unfortunately some good fighters do pick fights, i know a pro boxer who goes out looking for fights evey weekend, I know him but i certainly dont hang with him.

Then he will spend a lot of time in prison. Know guys who like to have a good bunch up, come from a family of boxers. Didn't mind a bit of a punch on myself when younger, but like many, put on a uniform to make it legal.

Brother is probably the best unarmed combat and weaponless control instructor in Southeast Asia [ you can Google him, Kevin Collister ] You want to be involved in violence, join the army, French foreign legion, police or prison service.

Think they will not be looking for bar fights, the others will end up doing time. Jim

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He could also be having a bad day.

You could have offered to buy him a beer and see what his troubles were.

Maybe he just gave up smoking ?

whatever the reason, why would i care enough to find out? especially at he cost of a beer and, worse yet, my time

So selfish

• Like 1

I do recall my first days in Bangkok, back in the early '70's, before the era of cheap flights and sex tourism to Thailand. Patpong was just about the only place to go. You'd not find many tourists then - mostly, (apart from a few backpackers), everyone seemed to have a reason for being here. Vietnam was winding down, but there were plenty of US military and ex-military, spooks, 'construction and demolition' civilians, mercenaries, oil and gas workers, chopper jockeys, Air America pilots and so on. I remember being surprised by the lack of violence, given the multi-national mix of folk and professions, and asking an old hand, (probably in the Grand Prix, Butterfly, Flying Machine or Madrid), why this might be.

He maintained that it had to do with the fact that a) the booze was cheap, cool.png there were more than enough girls to go round and c) if someone bar-fined the girl you'd fancied, why, there were heaps more available so, what's to fight about?

That's changed rather, with the import of folk bringing their unsavoury jealousies and violent dispositions here. Becoming a tourist paradise is not always a step forward, in my opinion.

Edited by richardjm65

He could also be having a bad day.

You could have offered to buy him a beer and see what his troubles were.

Maybe he just gave up smoking ?

whatever the reason, why would i care enough to find out? especially at he cost of a beer and, worse yet, my time

So selfish

it serves me

It is the alcohol. For some strange reason it affects some people differently. A perfectly sane, level headed person can turn into a raving imbecile when they've had too much to drink. My parents had an elderly friend who was always as nice a person as you would ever want to meet, but my father told me that he became ugly, obnoxious and mean when he drank... which fortunately, was seldom. I've had girl friends who turn into sobbing sisters when they drank. Another turned horny and wanted to sleep with any man who was nearby. I finally gave up trying to help her. She got into one mess after another, but only when she drank. Some people know that about themselves and try hard not to drink at all. Others just go for it and wind up with problems continually.

I do recall my first days in Bangkok, back in the early '70's, before the era of cheap flights and sex tourism to Thailand. Patpong was just about the only place to go. You'd not find many tourists then - mostly, (apart from a few backpackers), everyone seemed to have a reason for being here. Vietnam was winding down, but there were plenty of US military and ex-military, spooks, 'construction and demolition' civilians, mercenaries, oil and gas workers, chopper jockeys, Air America pilots and so on. I remember being surprised by the lack of violence, given the multi-national mix of folk and professions, and asking an old hand, (probably in the Grand Prix, Butterfly, Flying Machine or Madrid), why this might be.

He maintained that it had to do with the fact that a) the booze was cheap, cool.png there were more than enough girls to go round and c) if someone bar-fined the girl you'd fancied, why, there were heaps more available so, what's to fight about?

That's changed rather, with the import of folk bringing their unsavoury jealousies and violent dispositions here. Becoming a tourist paradise is not always a step forward, in my opinion.

Agree with you about Patpong. Tony Po, Pat Landry, Jack Shirley et al were great fun, usually at Madrid. Those days are missed but some of the old guys are still around. We talk often and get together when I go down to Pattaya. Many of them moved there for the golf, as did I originally.

Talking about tough guys, I am reminded about a guy named Jimmy the Belgian. Ex- Foreign Legion, mercenary and advisor to the Thai army (true). A few years ago he opened a bar on Soi Post Office and called it The Legionaire. Jimmy was not one to be taken lightly, yet as the story goes, one night a young British hooligan came in looking for a fight. Jimmy asked the guy to leave and the guy asked Jimmy what he would do if he, the hooligan, wouldn't leave. Jimmy told him he would break his leg and throw him out on the street. The hooligan didn't....and Jimmy did.

I ran the Grand Prix for Rick when he went on vacation in the early 80's. Had a great time and free booze. Not one bit of trouble back then.

Things have changed

I can never understand these people,who gives some one a warning,that will certainly put the opposition on guard

That's what I thought. I was also thinking "Go outside where?" This is a busy area with many bars and a mall across the street.

I was very polite to the guy, but after I left he kept on staring at me while I was sitting with my friends?

Everyone else was having a good time anyway.

Hope it wasn't an open air bar as his proposition to step outside would have come across as laughable.

I can't help my self but laugh at these situations even when not involved. Being caught smirking has actually gotten me in trouble a few times. Idiots who goes out to fight?

• Like 1

It is the alcohol. For some strange reason it affects some people differently. A perfectly sane, level headed person can turn into a raving imbecile when they've had too much to drink. My parents had an elderly friend who was always as nice a person as you would ever want to meet, but my father told me that he became ugly, obnoxious and mean when he drank... which fortunately, was seldom. I've had girl friends who turn into sobbing sisters when they drank. Another turned horny and wanted to sleep with any man who was nearby. I finally gave up trying to help her. She got into one mess after another, but only when she drank. Some people know that about themselves and try hard not to drink at all. Others just go for it and wind up with problems continually.

There used to be a common classification for drunks that was referred to often... Bellicose drunks - war like, Melancholy - sobbing - crying in their beer, Happy drunks - laughing at every breath until they pass out - become comatose :)

I had an "incident" last year, was working on an island, the bar at the resort had a weekly free food buffet, while loading a plate, i made some friendly banter with a Ruskie also getting food, he must have misunderstood and became verbally abusive. he then challenged me to fight, I declined and ignored him. He later saw me talking and hanging out with the locals, southern dudes, he must have thought he was going to get dealt with later because he came groveling over later to say so sorry, please don't have me beaten and all that. An interesting cultural lesson. I had no intention of escalating the situation.

Edited by daoyai

Very well done, Mr. Nietzche!

Unfortunately, that kind of things happens everywhere when there are drunken idiots who think fighting is a fun event for their night... seen that in Walking street Pattaya, in Temple Bar Dublin or in Niederdorf Zurich... fortunately only seen so far and never been directly involved

Alcohol and immaturity; regardless of age = self-delusion. Oh these barroom stories spark my sense of gratefulness for being 69 and close to 32 years clean and sober. Met some marvelous people at AA in BKK on my last two trips. If all goes well I shall reconnect Feb or March. Highly recommend..... wai.gif

P.S. May be a case of suicide by drunk - by provoking a 6'-2" youngster into stomping worthless butt into oblivion. cheesy.gif

Edited by IBoldnewguy
  • Like 1

Agree with you about Patpong. Tony Po, Pat Landry, Jack Shirley et al were great fun, usually at Madrid. Those days are missed but some of the old guys are still around. We talk often and get together when I go down to Pattaya. Many of them moved there for the golf, as did I originally.

Talking about tough guys, I am reminded about a guy named Jimmy the Belgian. Ex- Foreign Legion, mercenary and advisor to the Thai army (true). A few years ago he opened a bar on Soi Post Office and called it The Legionaire. Jimmy was not one to be taken lightly, yet as the story goes, one night a young British hooligan came in looking for a fight. Jimmy asked the guy to leave and the guy asked Jimmy what he would do if he, the hooligan, wouldn't leave. Jimmy told him he would break his leg and throw him out on the street. The hooligan didn't....and Jimmy did.

I ran the Grand Prix for Rick when he went on vacation in the early 80's. Had a great time and free booze. Not one bit of trouble back then.

Things have changed

Things have changed

If I've got the right guy, the Belgian was a fixture in NEP, Cowboy and Patpong - he had an abrasive manner, usually had a younger Thai male in tow, and had a voice like gravel being thrown on a corrugated tin roof. Other than his loudness, I never saw him actually pick a fight, though he would go on angrily and at length about the people he hated - Germans particularly, but anyone else who could not claim to originate from Belgium. We avoided him like the plague and I wondered whatever became of him.

Then there was Tiger, holding out at Lucy's Tiger Den - remember him? I last saw him in Manila in his bar (Yellow Brick Road) and understand he lost his legs due to diabetes and died in the late '80's. Jack Shirley, who liked his corner stool in the Madrid, was the guy who insisted that teaching English to BG's was a simple matter of teaching them to say, "Good idea" to any suggestion that a punter might make.

No night market in Patpong in those days either.....

Things have changed

If I've got the right guy, the Belgian was a fixture in NEP, Cowboy and Patpong - he had an abrasive manner, usually had a younger Thai male in tow, and had a voice like gravel being thrown on a corrugated tin roof. Other than his loudness, I never saw him actually pick a fight, though he would go on angrily and at length about the people he hated - Germans particularly, but anyone else who could not claim to originate from Belgium. We avoided him like the plague and I wondered whatever became of him.

Then there was Tiger, holding out at Lucy's Tiger Den - remember him? I last saw him in Manila in his bar (Yellow Brick Road) and understand he lost his legs due to diabetes and died in the late '80's. Jack Shirley, who liked his corner stool in the Madrid, was the guy who insisted that teaching English to BG's was a simple matter of teaching them to say, "Good idea" to any suggestion that a punter might make.

No night market in Patpong in those days either.....

Sounds like you got him. The first time I ever met Jimmy was one day I was playing cards at Chicken Divine with Cliff and another when this Thai army jeep pulled up on Patpong 2 beside the floor to ceiling windows with a farang in uniform driving. He reached into the back seat, pulled out an automatic weapon and aimed it at us. I hit the floor but, of course, nothing happened. They were all long time friends. He didn't pick fights but wouldn't avoid one either. Jimmy died a few years ago in Pattaya from liver problems.

Udom Patpong used to come in Chicken Divine from time to time and regale us with his tales. A really interesting man and fun to talk to.

Shirley also died in Pattaya a few years ago.

Sure, I remember Tiger. He eventually sold his bar on Suriwong and moved back to the Philippines where he passed away. He was a legend, as were most of the other guys.

A different day, long since gone.

Don't make the mistake of trying to pick a fight with me.

My wife will kick your ass for sure!

My wife has a 38 S/W I don't argue with her. Jim

Uhoh, a catfight! Someone get me a beer and a nice viewing chair! biggrin.png

Don't worry, my wife is tougher than his wife.

Lanna beats Issan every time.

• Like 1

I had a friend who was dating a Marine pilot, a guy about 30, about 6'3", and rather muscular. He got into some sort of argument late at night in the drive-thru lane at a 24-hour taco place. He got out of his car to abuse the small, old Hispanic guy in the car in front of him. From what my friend said, the small guy ignored him until he reach in the car and slapped the guy's female companion. The guy got out of the car, which is what the pilot wanted, and when he squared off to fight, the little guy knocked him out and put him in the hospital. My friend called me in the morning to pick her up at the hospital.

You never know when that guy you can absolutely take turns out to be able to handle you quite easily.

Fighting is pretty stupid unless there is absolutely no option, and even then, it will have negative effects. Three things can happen. You can punch the other guy, and in the morning, your hand hurts. Or he can punch you, and in the morning, your nose hurts. Or you can punch each other, and in the morning, both your hand and your nose hurts.

99 times out of a hundred, if not more often, it is just better to walk away.

Precisely true. I doubt many people have had a fight that they did not regret the next morning.

I got arrested when I was 18 for fighting with another guy outside of a bar in NY. It ended with both of us being charged with assault.

After spending $5,000 in lawyers fees, the charges were dismissed.

First and last time I ever got into a fight as an adult. There is never any upside to such behavior.

No white man want's to spend the weekend in central booking in NYC. I was processed and released immediately (lucky). The place is full of gang-bangers and murderers.

Heard stories of guy's (always white guys) getting beaten unconscious in those cell on a regular basis.

I have a blackbelt in Karaoke and Origami, so no-one messes with me. But I did leave a friends club late one night and asked a regular tuk tuk driver to take me home. He spent a few minutes trying to wake up two backpackers who'd done the usual of drinking until they were trashed and had decided to use his tuk tuk as a bed. They ignored his pleas, but when I politely asked them to move so the bloke could earn a living, they came straight at me.

They got about two yards towards me before security spirited them away down a dark alley like the bad guy in the movie "Ghost".

Nothing more was heard. Then we all went about our business as usual.

Youngsters and piss do not mix.

• Like 1

From memory, this kinda thing happened to me only once here in BKK about 8 or 9 years ago in Hard Rock Cafe Siam Square. Some dumb ass agressive (western) prick was itching to fight someone for reasons only he understood. I unfortunately sat on a bar stool next to him to have a drink and listen to the band. He then muttered some agreesive thing at me and then he got up and moved away. Anyhow 30 minutes later I also move with a friend to the other side of the bar and unfortunately passed by this asshol_e again, as I was on the way to the toilet he said some agressive coment again and at that point, I lost it a little and shouted at him to meet outside. After I came out of the toilet, he had gone.....I was relieved and went about enjoying the evening.

This kinda thing is fairly common in my home country and Thai males are guilty of this on the odd ocassion. I think some males are just born <deleted> and deserve a shitty life for making other peoples lives unnecessarily unpleasant. A pox on en all.

I had a european guy try so hard to wind me up, I don't know what his problem was but he had it in for me.

I was with my muay thai instructor and my Brazilian jujitsu instructor, he had no idea who we were, we went and drank elswhere.

He was quite old to,

oooooohh so you're one of these tough guys in thailand? training for an MMA fight? what a tough guy you are, I hope I don't run into you in a bar...LOL