What Do Thai People Find Funny?

LionMG

I'm headed to Thailand for the first time in a couple months, and I'd like to use humor be able to make connections with Thai people more easily. I'm not talking about telling long jokes or a stand-up act, just everyday little actions and during conversations. Obviously not every Thai person is the same and will find the same things funny.

I'm more of a reserved, quiet guy who usually uses sarcasm and wit, and from what I've read sarcasm doesn't go over well in the Asian countries. So what does? Slapstick with a lot of body language? Funny faces? Silly dancing? Self-deficating? biggrin.png I'm guessing I keep it as simple as possible and use body movements because of the language barrier?

For example I'm imagining myself talking to a Thai lady I just met - she's quite beautiful of course with amazing eyes, and she asks what I think about Thai food. I say I looooove Thai food, soon I'll be so fat! (while motioning with my arms to show myself with a big belly and blowing air to puff out my cheeks).

Or if a kid is staring at me, I start doing modeling/muscleman poses, or make a funny face.

Yes I tend to overthink things. tongue.png

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Draftvader is correct, humour here is base and uncomplex. Check out some Thai tv shows.

The reality is that as you look into the eyes of the girl, so long as she knows she is getting paid, she'll smile and laugh at everything you say.

Don't worry about trying to plan this too much. You will be really popular and really entertaining. You need no chat up lines and no pre prepared jokes.

Enjoy yourselves.

"Self deficating "...? Asuming you mean -self defecating ,meaning the ability to laugh at oneself or.... to shit oneself ! Only one of which is such a good idea in public !!!

Thais love Mr Bean ....try impersonating him though and you'll get lots of weird looks and be aware that any foreigner in the vicinity ,especially any ex-pat , will most likely consider you a <deleted> !

Sorry ........

• Like 1

Tell her you have no money but are looking for some honey...always gets a laugh.

When you see a drop dead gorgeous woman look at her and say "pom puey"....chuckles all around

Anything to do with farting helps around our house..."doert farang mai men, hohm!"

Mr. Bean

Good Luck....seriously!

"Self deficating "...? Asuming you mean -self defecating ,meaning the ability to laugh at oneself or.... to shit oneself ! Only one of which is such a good idea in public !!!

Haha it's self-deprecating.

I'll need to brush up on my Mr. Bean.

Quick wit, ping-pong (not that kind) and words with double innuendo work just as well in Thailand, but the difficulty is the language barrier. It's true that sarcasm doesn't go over well with Asians, but I think sarcasm should be used sparingly as it's too easy and not very funny usually.

• Like 1

You are asking two entirely different questions. Thai people seem to enjoy that stupid slapstick crap that went out with the three stooges. However, the question being asked is how to fit in easily with Thai women. That is entirely different from slapstick humour, if you can actually call it humour. Women enjoy a man who is confident without being pushy. They like an easy smile and not a person who leers at them. Women CAN tell the difference. Once you get to know a woman then that is the time for the funny stuff and the joking. Just don't over do it. And, like most women everywhere, Thai women are jealous. You can flirt with all the women, but don't start being serious with any one particular gal unless you intend to make her the only one. Although it is alright for any woman in a bar to go with multiple men, a man can only go with one woman from any one particular bar. If he does so then there is bound to be trouble. Many men don't understand this. And, it is VERY difficult to meet Thai women outside the bar scene unless you can speak the language.

• Like 1

You are asking two entirely different questions. Thai people seem to enjoy that stupid slapstick crap that went out with the three stooges. However, the question being asked is how to fit in easily with Thai women. That is entirely different from slapstick humour, if you can actually call it humour. Women enjoy a man who is confident without being pushy. They like an easy smile and not a person who leers at them. Women CAN tell the difference. Once you get to know a woman then that is the time for the funny stuff and the joking. Just don't over do it. And, like most women everywhere, Thai women are jealous. You can flirt with all the women, but don't start being serious with any one particular gal unless you intend to make her the only one. Although it is alright for any woman in a bar to go with multiple men, a man can only go with one woman from any one particular bar. If he does so then there is bound to be trouble. Many men don't understand this. And, it is VERY difficult to meet Thai women outside the bar scene unless you can speak the language.

I have yet to meet a man that has achieved this. I don't think he exists

Why do all topics on ThaiVisa that concern Thai women end up with people posting about prostitutes? OP - ignore the comments about girls laughing at anything if they know they are being paid and only being able to take one girl from a bar. Unless you are travelling here with the specific intention of sleeping with whores, they are irrelevant.

If you are looking to meet ordinary girls, just be natural. Sarcasm doesn't go down well in most countries and with most people that I've met, for obvious reasons.

(By the way, rene123, in my early days in Thailand, when I did indeed indulge with ladies of the night, I went with five different girls from the same bar, no problems and no drama. You're the customer. They will only act like that if they think you are some daft old fool who is likely to fall in love with them)

• Like 1

I have yet to meet a man that has achieved this. I don't think he exists

laugh.pnglaugh.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gif

True!

What I meant to say was once a man and women are familiar with each other then that is the time for jokes. Not everyone enjoys joking and some people are insanely jealous if whoever they are with even looks at someone else. Stay clear of those types unless you like fighting and constant turmoil.

(By the way, rene123, in my early days in Thailand, when I did indeed indulge with ladies of the night, I went with five different girls from the same bar, no problems and no drama. You're the customer. They will only act like that if they think you are some daft old fool who is likely to fall in love with them)

Ah, then you were one of the "butterflies" that the bar girls all talk about. I think the bar girls only get jealous if the customer is considered "special" and they don't want to lose him.

Ah, then you were one of the "butterflies" that the bar girls all talk about. I think the bar girls only get jealous if the customer is considered "special" and they don't want to lose him.

Being considered special by prostitutes has never been a goal of mine. I think it's actually the money you are paying them that they don't want to lose. If you don't fall for their jealous act, they soon give up the pretence. Edited by inthepink

Talking, and gossip about other farangs as if you are not one yourself is always a good one.

To make it really good though, you must complain about farangs in thais own language..

Thammai khon ***** mehn muk muk?

Thammai khon Australia pood siang dang?

Thammai took khon phrathet England bpehn khon kee-bohn?

Thammai took khon faranset kee-niow muk muk

Thammai took farang America ouan muk muk?

ect ect

You get the drift..Basically anything that involve sentence beginning with Thammai and farang is good. thumbsup.gif

Will be sure to get big laughs as most thai have also asked many of these same questions themself laugh.png

good lord, the op is the guy that feels the need to exude wit and charm while I'm trying to buy beer at 7.

And I would avoid "Self-deficating [sic]" as it means crapping yourself. It correctly spelled defecating. I think self-deprecating is the term you are looking for.

Contrary popular belief Thais are not children, if you are not amusing at home, I doubt you will be here.

Spare us all the embarrassment.

Please.

Edited by candypants
  • Like 2

Haha it's self-deprecating.

I'll need to brush up on my Mr. Bean.

Mr. LionMG:

As a reader of your posts i strongly advice you to loosen up.

Just let it go and forget about the controlled-side of your persona during your trip..

• Like 1

Draftvader is correct, humour here is base and uncomplex. Check out some Thai tv shows.

The reality is that as you look into the eyes of the girl, so long as she knows she is getting paid, she'll smile and laugh at everything you say.

Don't worry about trying to plan this too much. You will be really popular and really entertaining. You need no chat up lines and no pre prepared jokes.

Enjoy yourselves.

perhaps before dismissing an entire nation's sense of humour as base and uncomplex it would behoove you to understand the language and some of the wordplay that occurs.

television shows aimed at the lowest common denominator are not the best indicator.

also a good idea for the OP, maybe he can practice silly sounding noises and ring stupid bells and whistles when he says the punchline

also whoopee cushion sounds work even better

• Like 1

Acting like Mr Bean is a winner, also bragging about how you love spicy food and asking for some extra hot curry should do the trick as well.

If you can do the spicy thing and keep your cool(meaning don't go to the toilet and dont wash your mounth with beer and dont break a sweat)--

--Then you really are 'the man'.cool.png

• Like 1

Enjoy yourselves.

perhaps before dismissing an entire nation's sense of humour as base and uncomplex it would behoove you to understand the language and some of the wordplay that occurs.

television shows aimed at the lowest common denominator are not the best indicator.

Yes, but it was such an easy shot as I lay there in bed about to go to sleep (which, as you might be able to tell, hasn't happened!).

This thread has been pretty entertaining and informative so far, thanks - If you see some crazy young white guy making silly noises and faces in BKK/Chiang during April, don't be afraid to say hello!

I'll just be myself, leaving out the usual sarcasm and dark humor.

• Like 1

Talking, and gossip about other farangs as if you are not one yourself is always a good one.

To make it really good though, you must complain about farangs in thais own language..

Thammai khon ***** mehn muk muk?

Thammai khon Australia pood siang dang?

Thammai took khon phrathet England bpehn khon kee-bohn?

Thammai took khon faranset kee-niow muk muk

Thammai took farang America ouan muk muk?

ect ect

You get the drift..Basically anything that involve sentence beginning with Thammai and farang is good. thumbsup.gif

Will be sure to get big laughs as most thai have also asked many of these same questions themself laugh.png

Assuming that the OP doesn't understand Thai language, I very much doubt that he would get your drift.

Your suggestions would just appear as gibberish.

As your post, insulting various nationalities, breaks forum rules, I would expect a mod to remove it soon as well as this reply. :)