Credit Card With Scb - Great If You're Into Masochism

I've had a c.card via Siam Commercial Bank, administered by King Power (it was them or Shinawatre, those were the two choices, I picked the least distasteful). They've got a tel. number, but (surprise!) they don't answer it - or rarely. As if that weren't fun enough, they've got a Thai pop song on a tape loop. I don't know which is worse - the song or the fidelity of it, but anyone calling, is forced to listen to it for the tens of minutes that person is stuck waiting for someone to answer. After several 25 minute calls with no answer, I did amazingly get someone on the phone. She told me to got to the web site and do a verification. Didn't work, and (surprise) the web site advised I go back to the phone. Then, after several more half hour waits, I get another person. He tells me to go to the website. That didn't work, and I'm advised to go back to the phone number ......(I think you see a pattern here).

I once asked if they have an office I could go to. Response: no, we don't have an office. I'm stuck, because I actually have a negative balance. In other words, the credit card company owes me money - so I want to make a c.card purchase to even out the balance - then I can kiss them goodbye. Ahhhh, the joys of trying to do certain things in Thailand. I'd rather sleep in a nest of stinging ants.

Aftr the first time you spoke to some one on the phone and

they told you to go to web site and that did not work

I think when you spoke to person the 2nd time you should

have been sitting near a computer that was ready to complete

what you needed to do while you spoke to person on phone

• Like 1

Aftr the first time you spoke to some one on the phone and

they told you to go to web site and that did not work

I think when you spoke to person the 2nd time you should

have been sitting near a computer that was ready to complete

what you needed to do while you spoke to person on phone

maybe, maybe not. If they answer at all, which is once every several phone calls, and even then, after a loooooong wait, then they're eager to find a quick solution so they can get off the phone. If you know Thais, you know they're often uncomfortable speaking with farang about anything serious (if it's a joking conversation, no problem). Their goal: Quick solution, get farang off the phone, then they can go on to something else.

p.s. still haven't resolved this issue, even after two days and at least two hours cumulative hanging on the phone, being forced to listen to the awful pop song sounding like its coming through a cement mixer. It's the same song they've played for at least two years, because that's about how long I've been grappling with this thing.

Edited by maidu

finally, got it verified. After over a dozen phone calls and online frustrations at the SCB site - over 3 days - I finally cracked the code: The online form only works if a name is written in all caps. No one at the call line knew that. And of course, there is no mention of that anywhere on the online form or the website.

How often do you fill out an online form and write your full name in all caps, unless asked to specifically?

also; thanks McMurrey for info about citibank and KTC. Ironically, I v. rarely use a credit card - but instead like to have one for traveling, in case something goes wrong.

I maybe wrong but is not Siam Commercial Bank part of the Shin group ,so Maidu , maybe it is only same same but different.

I can only sympathize .

No, the Crown Property Bureau is the major shareholder. smile.png

Yep that's why I bank with them, they will never be allowed to go under.

• Like 1

I noticed they've started answering their service phone rather well today. It may have something to do with this thread - maybe someone on high heard of the complaint(s). I still had to call several times, and get assistance while concurrently on the internet and the phone. After awhile, I was assured that all went well, and my card was usable. Lo and behold, it wasn't. I called again. We were both flummoxed. Then I tried a slightly different way of paying online with the card, and it worked! Altogether, about 14 calls in 3 days. about 6 were answered, the others left me waiting for many minutes (before I hung up), forced to listen to an awful song the whole time. Plus, about 6 trips to their web site. Overall, a frustrating and time wasting experience. I'll be glad to move on to other things.

Welcome to Thailand... live with it, no good for complaining, do as thais do lah...

....or attempt to make incremental changes that might improve their lives (re; noise/light/trash/air pollution). They won't do it for themselves, because they've learnt from infancy to accept all sorts of annoyances .....so it's up to a few farang to speak up and try to make changes for the better. Example: Thai train car full of people. All windows closed tight. Air was smoky/stuffy and breathing was difficult. Did any Thais speak up? Of course not. It was a farang woman who went to find an authority, and wound up getting a few windows opened - to the relief of all.

I have also had a Platinum CC with SCB for nearly 2 years, and never had a problem..actually a very good service in comparison with CC companies in my home country.

Same here, SCB Platinum, had it for 2 going on 3 years, nothing but excellent service and far superior to anything I've ever experienced in my home country. Also have one with "Krung Sri" (Yellow) Bank Of Ayudhya again great service thus far.

TMB told me I couldn't have a credit card APPLICATION form because I was a foreigner!

I said thank you, give me all my money except 1 baht in cash now thank you.

WP everything, banked with them for years, bye bye...

I am very Thai like, I don't complain... cough cough.

Edited by kiwiinasia

TMB told me I couldn't have a credit card APPLICATION form because I was a foreigner!

I said thank you, give me all my money except 1 baht in cash now thank you.

WP everything, banked with them for years, bye bye...

I am very Thai like, I don't complain... cough cough.

I've found that Thai businesses, bureaucrats and even lawyers often don't know their business as well as informed farang. When the Thai biz is in doubt about a policy, they'll naturally take the most conservative angle. Not only that, they'll stick strongly by their stance, thinking that; 'because they're Thai, and it's a Thai regulation, that they must be right.' No flexibility or considering they may be wrong. More than a few times, I've been up against such thinking, and I've had to show them proof that I was right. As an example: you can take 5 Thai banks, and each will have a different opinion of 'what's allowed, and what isn't' re; farang's rights. Only one will be correct, but the other 4 will insist their opinions are correct.

Either you're pressing the 02-777-7777 wrong or you pressed the options wrongly.

I have used SCB CC for, 6 years and I'm very happy with their service. The Call Center knows what they're doing, their branch? No.

It goes for most things, "we" (Consumer) have to do our research to discover this "heavenly" truth that none seem to be aware of. When we point this out to them, the customer service just ignorantly tries to hold up their ego and be defense themselves claiming "no such thing" exist. I got fed up, and went to another branch who knows what the eff their doing and got myself what I wanted.

Tough luck, but I learned the hard way, do your own research first..

I echo previous comments. SCB Platinum card customer service is generally good - though the branch service is pot-luck - it depends on who you get. It does irk me however that you have to give them a non-interest-bearing deposit which is twice the value of your credit limit. i presume this is normal in Thailand.