Difference Of Values, Thailand Still Surprises After 10 Years

canuckamuck

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with eating animals, and I used to hunt when I lived in a land that had abundant wildlife. My issue is about the killing of a loyal and longtime pet for a small amount of money. An animal that, without a doubt, would have defended my father in law with its life.

Unthinkable in my culture but a non-event here in the village.

Your wife and father and law should be locked up.

Most Thais I know would agree.

If my wife sold my dog for food she would no longer be my wifeblink.png

Most Thais that I know would not agree.

I would think that every family in this Isaan village has exchanged dogs for a bucket or a bowl, knowing full well that they are headed for somebodys dinner table.

Mind you most of them say that they will not eat dog.

Not had any of the pick-ups around for a year or so now, so nobody collecting the dogs anymore.

Dog population has increased, but a fair few dissappear when they get older. Wonder where they go. I guess that the owners either kill them or leave them on a busy road somewhere.

Thats because the people you hang around are Isaan, not Thai.

Thais don't eat dogs.

I would think that every family in this Isaan village has exchanged dogs for a bucket or a bowl, knowing full well that they are headed for somebodys dinner table.

Not had any of the pick-ups around for a year or so now, so nobody collecting the dogs anymore.

Dog population has increased, but a fair few dissappear when they get older. Wonder where they go. I guess that the owners either kill them or leave them on a busy road somewhere.

Thais don't eat dogs.

Last time I looked at a map, Isaan was still part of Thailand.

What country does Isaan belong to now?

Whether Thais eat dogs or not, I don't know. I only know that Thais probably wouldn't admit to eating dogs even if they did.

Thais don't eat dogs.

Last time I looked at a map, Isaan was still part of Thailand.

What country does Isaan belong to now?

Whether Thais eat dogs or not, I don't know. I only know that Thais probably wouldn't admit to eating dogs even if they did.

Thai by nationality, ask any Thai person and they will happily tell you that people from Isaan are Lao, not Thai. Laotians eat dogs, Thais don't.

This is not my opinion, it is the predominate thinking and attitude of the Thai people.

Do your research, you will see. Again, Thai people don't eat dogs, Lao people do. Isaan are Lao, not Thai.thumbsup.gif

Despite the fact that Isan is Lao in all but name (and international relations), plenty of Isan people will tell you that they are Thai owing to the nationalist propaganda onslaught waged by Bangkok for over half a century.

Isan itself is a name that was contrived for the region by Bangkok in order to give them a popular identity that wasn't Lao. At some point in the past Bangkok went even further and completely eschewed all use of 'Isan' in official correspondence in favour of 'The North-Eastern Region'.

Edited by Trembly

Read the OP again. It wasn't his dog, it was his Father-in- Law's dog and legally his to do with as he pleased, unfortunately.

Horrid treatment of living things. No excuse.

you married into the wrong family.....

I understand the comment, Father in law is a piece of work for sure. Regardless, My wife is a treasure and the best decision I have made in life. Living on the land she inherited is a separate issue, and it comes with challenges such as the OP.

Very nicely stated.

While i believe your family does not need defending from the comment,

your response was very nicely done!!

Sakon nakhon is a well known area for eating dog. It's kinda of a guy thing from what I've seen - you know botlle of low kow with barbecued dog - ahh good times. Where I'm at is a small village but far from being hill people.

I don't get too attached to the dogs. We have the same dogs for 3-4 yrs now but I've seen the pups sold for ???

The story I was told was that Cambodians used to come through the village and exchange buckets for dogs. I live in a Lao speaking village but the Cambodian border is not too far, the language frontier is 20 km away. Seeing as they eat frogs, scorpions, grubs, cow pooh pooh (yes they do, and very good it is too), bile, placenta, small birds, storks, rats ... you don't need to be surprised that dogs are also occasionally on the menu. As far as I can see, it is the aggressive, unpleasant animals that disappear the first, which accounts for the generally placid character of most village dogs around here.

Very sorry for the OP, you learn about keeping cool here every day or you go mad or go home.