Thailand Pushes Back 200 Rohingya Boat People: Navy

webfact

What a lucky day for the refugees !!!!!! Better to be floating around on the ocean instead of being sold into

slavery by the police/army team in Ranong. I suppose the refugees do not have internet access so are not

aware of the slave fate of the refugees that preceded them....whistling.gif

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets take a moment to look at this is perspective. The rohingya are in reality economic refugees. They do not have citizenship in Myanmar and cannot own land. Basically they're in the same situation as Falangs in Thailand.

Contrast what has happened in history. The Jews were systematically rounded up and sent to concentration camps for extermination by Nazi germany. The Bosnian Muslims were systematically executed and Muslim women raped by Serbians during the Yugoslav wars. In Rwanda, the Tutsis ethnicity was systematically exterminated by the Hutu tribe. Is what is happening to the rohingya he same thing? Are there mass executions and extermination camps of the rohingya in Myanmar? No. They're not escaping death, they're escaping poverty.

Do I like that the Thais are sending them back to sea? No but I don't see what else Thailand can do. There's already 130000 refugees in Thai camps. If Thailand takes them in then they have to care for these people. If Thailand toes the boats to either Malaysia or Myanmar the it causes friction between the countries (neither country will be happy about Thailand dumping all these people on their shores).

Lets take a cue from the us. Cuba is a communist country. Congress enacted a law that those people escaping from communist countries were entitled to political asylum. People from Cuba come in boats trying to reach the United States. When the us coast guard intercepts these boats what do they do? The us coast guard takes these people to Guantanamo bay to prevent them for reaching us shores and claiming political asylum. Thailand is really just doing what other countries are doing. It just doesn't have an offshore military base like Guantanamo bay.

Except we have now basically lost Florida to the Cubans that live there. Perhaps Thailand wishes to avoid the same mistake.

Well, in reply to Simple1. "Thailand has no obligations.......UN Conventions". They never ever cared about UN Conventions. In December 2009 more than 4.700 Lao H'mong refugees have been forcefully deported back to Laos from their cramped camps in Petchabun and Nong Khai. That was under the Abhisit government and between X-mas and NY. Despite all diplomatic protests and UNHCR upset, they kicked the officially recognized refugees out anyway. Thailand toppled down on the Human Rights Watch list of 'civilised' countries, but did they care?

It is not about obligations, it is about human attitude. If a Government exposes such a crime against Humanity to their own civilians, what can we expect?

If you are born in the Isan, dark skinned, in school you are being taught that your career perspectives are very limited and you are 'less' than a normal Thai. The minority complex is seeded from a young age. In the big city you will be judged and ranked on your skin color. Within Thai society racism is clearly present.

No wonder the racism will expose itself even harder when it comes to refugees. Poor people on th escape in a boat. Or with their last belongings crossing the Mekong. There a less than dogs.........

Just to underline the activities of Western countries. The U.S. admits approx. 30.000 Karen & Karenni refugees p/year for re-settlement. Australia & Canada are as well very supportive in offering refugees a safe haven.

Pushing a boat back on sea with its passengers has nothing to do with UN obligations, religion, Buddhism or 'not knowing what to do with them'. It is deep rooted racism. And it is a shame.

• Like 1

Lets take a moment to look at this is perspective. The rohingya are in reality economic refugees. They do not have citizenship in Myanmar and cannot own land. Basically they're in the same situation as Falangs in Thailand.

Contrast what has happened in history. The Jews were systematically rounded up and sent to concentration camps for extermination by Nazi germany. The Bosnian Muslims were systematically executed and Muslim women raped by Serbians during the Yugoslav wars. In Rwanda, the Tutsis ethnicity was systematically exterminated by the Hutu tribe. Is what is happening to the rohingya he same thing? Are there mass executions and extermination camps of the rohingya in Myanmar? No. They're not escaping death, they're escaping poverty.

Do I like that the Thais are sending them back to sea? No but I don't see what else Thailand can do. There's already 130000 refugees in Thai camps. If Thailand takes them in then they have to care for these people. If Thailand toes the boats to either Malaysia or Myanmar the it causes friction between the countries (neither country will be happy about Thailand dumping all these people on their shores).

Lets take a cue from the us. Cuba is a communist country. Congress enacted a law that those people escaping from communist countries were entitled to political asylum. People from Cuba come in boats trying to reach the United States. When the us coast guard intercepts these boats what do they do? The us coast guard takes these people to Guantanamo bay to prevent them for reaching us shores and claiming political asylum. Thailand is really just doing what other countries are doing. It just doesn't have an offshore military base like Guantanamo bay.

What about the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, another Lampedusa in the making.

Its a shame that Thailand is so self centered.

As a farang, I know what it feels like not being wanted in Thailand.

I hope the boat people find a better place to stay

Wow. Downtrodden farangs and Rohingya. Brothers in arms .... both just trying to get by in a loveless world. My heart goes out to you, the poor displaced farang...

• Like 1

Perhaps better to study some more about the Lao H'mong history for you. They fought shoulder to shoulder with the U.S. against the Communists in the '60's and '70's. The older generation (and many of those refugees were) were convinced the actual Communistic Lao Government would kill them upon return. Before you become a recognized UNHCR refugee, research has been done, I can assure you.

Hundreds of those, in 2009, forcefully deported Lao H'mong; nobody knows where they are now. The Lao Government states they are located in new development villages in the jungle area. But no visitors allowed. It will take some time before the Genocide becomes clear.

Of course Thailand is entitled to preserve its cultural heritage and protects its area. If the figure is right that 130.000 refugees are now located on Thai soil, that is less than a small city. Refugee camps do not cost the Thai society any money. It comes from Western organisations. In contrary, approx. 40.000 re-settlement a year when only looking at the Myanmar problem makes x 10.000 Thb. p/p.

The Rohinya's that arrive, locate them in camps, ask help from international organisations and as a country you do a good job.

• Like 1

As a Farang that has been here awhile I have yet to feel "not being wanted in Thailand" no matter which part I've been to or who I have dealt with - anywhere...............My guess is if this is happening to some there is some sort of reason for it whether it be perceptual or behavioral.

If there is something that does not agree with you about Thailand then the choice is yours, either stay - or go. In my experience the people that cannot seem to agree or get-a-long ususally don't do well no matter where they are.

The Thai's are protectionist about their country. It is their country - we are guests. If they do not wish to open the floodgates to a vast number of people it is their choice. There are a lot of countries beset with huge problems caused by entry of hordes of people that would gladly turn back the clock if they could.

Personally I am thankful they are watchful over this - my birth country did not and is suffering the consequences. And, my birth country is not alone in this.

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 2

The Rohingya are not economic refugees despite what some quasi-racists here say. They are persecuted, many living in refugee camps in Burma, attacked by their ethnic Burmese neighbours - they are fleeing persecution. I have some sympathy for Thailand being on the route that these refugees take but pushing them back to sea is not the right attitude.

This is the military mindset at work & that's the problem. Both this & the last government have deliberately ignored the problem & left it to the military. It is pathetic to hear Yingluck attempting to excuse her government by conspiracy rhetoric.

It is a world-wide problem - people fleeing conflict whether it was Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Egypt, Tunisia & Syria in recent years. Jordan is currently facing a similar problem but they don't turn refugees away. The only way is to work with the UN and at least provide them with temporary shelter & food. It's far from perfect but it's the only way to help those in real need

The Rohingyas are Refugees. They are a persecuted minority. They are considered to be the most persecuted group on earth.

How are we defining oppressed. I don't think that denying them citizenship and land ownership is the same level of oppression the nazis showed to the Jews. In china hey had a one child per couple rule. I guess that is oppression of a basic human right, then they should have been allowed to come to the USA or uk. How about the status of women in India? Here subject to being raped while going on a bus. All Indian women should be allowed to immigrate to Australia. How about the Egyptian who is facing a prison sentence for converting from Islam. She is oppressed to. My thoughts are that there is a lot of oppression in this world and different levels of oppression. Despite their lack of status in Myanmar they're not being systematically killed like the Jews in World War II.

• Like 1

Forcibly deported people back to Laos? Well what great persecution were the laotians fearing? Ethnic cleansing? Extermination camps? No the Laotians wanted to be in a country that has better economic prospects then their home country. Sending people back to a stable government where they are not in fear of persecution apparently amounts to Inhumane treatment.

And obviously Thailand is a racist and Inhumane country because Thailand already had hundred of thousands of refugees along border camps already. Great the USA and uk take 30,000 refugees per year...Thailand takes much more and has less financial resources.

Sure, play the racism card. The fact is Thailand doesn't want to take people who don't share the same culture and have no connection to the Thai people. Why is that? Because the Thais want the country to keep its culture and wants to preserve resources for its own people. Maybe the uk, oz, and USA should take lessons from Thailand.

A bit of a disconnect. Thailand hosts refugees until settlement in third party countries can be facilitated. The countries you refer to accept them as permanent residents

Why thailand should host them? There is nothing common between them. In fact, these rohingyans follow a religion that orders to kill all non-muslims, no questions asked.

They belong to Bangladesh, where they come from. They should have fleed to Bangladesh, but they don't want to go back.

Exactly! What a refreshing humanitarian take on the situation. Meanwhile whenever Thailand suffers any political or natural disaster be sure to keep your hands outstretched to the EU, US and China...

Thailand only wants wealthy foreigners on it's soil or slave labour to order, smuggled in via the recognised Thai channels where the Thais can reap their fees every step of the way and then deny them any basic human rights while they work here for peanuts. Even the wealthy foreigners are denied any rights to live in the country long term and are only tolerated because of the many and varied opportunities to tax them and ensure that their funds keep flowing into and not out of Thailand.

Rohingya? Pffft, these people are fleeing persecution, have no money, no opportunity for the Thais to earn (unless of course they follow the established route of selling them into slavery to their neighbours).

The absurdly xenophobic and distinctly un-Buddhist ways of the Thai people rear their ugly head again... meanwhile shock horror, an Australian pet store has used the word Buddha in their advertising/ branding, now that's something worth getting worked up about, Rohingya who?

So what you are saying is that you would be willing to take them into your own house right?
  • Like 1

Someone should alert the united nation so they can aid the Falang people. Poor Falang. They're a stateless people. Thailand won't give them citizenship. They had to flee their homeland due to oppression (oppression being unable to find sexual partners 20 to 30 years younger than them in falangland). They've been herded into ghettos/refugee camps along sukhumvit. Clearly the u.n should intervene and help these poor oppressed people in being resettled to third countries, maybe like Cambodia or Laos where their pension benefits will last longer. If resettlement doesnt work we can always tow them out to sea. wink.png

The government should issue them food stamps to buy beer also...you've seen what happens when ....oh, nevermind
  • Like 1

Why thailand should host them? There is nothing common between them. In fact, these rohingyans follow a religion that orders to kill all non-muslims, no questions asked.

They belong to Bangladesh, where they come from. They should have fleed to Bangladesh, but they don't want to go back.

Exactly! What a refreshing humanitarian take on the situation. Meanwhile whenever Thailand suffers any political or natural disaster be sure to keep your hands outstretched to the EU, US and China...

Thailand only wants wealthy foreigners on it's soil or slave labour to order, smuggled in via the recognised Thai channels where the Thais can reap their fees every step of the way and then deny them any basic human rights while they work here for peanuts. Even the wealthy foreigners are denied any rights to live in the country long term and are only tolerated because of the many and varied opportunities to tax them and ensure that their funds keep flowing into and not out of Thailand.

Rohingya? Pffft, these people are fleeing persecution, have no money, no opportunity for the Thais to earn (unless of course they follow the established route of selling them into slavery to their neighbours).

The absurdly xenophobic and distinctly un-Buddhist ways of the Thai people rear their ugly head again... meanwhile shock horror, an Australian pet store has used the word Buddha in their advertising/ branding, now that's something worth getting worked up about, Rohingya who?

So what you are saying is that you would be willing to take them into your own house right?

Quite clearly that was not what I was saying but personally if I was ever put into a situation where my deliberate inaction would cause the death of others I would take action. If that meant housing some "illegal" Rohingya then fine, what a small price to pay. They'd have to work out with the family of Burmese and our Isaan workers who sleeps where though as we're already pretty pushed for space.

Perhaps some of the wealthy 100+ rai of land owning Thai family next door would be willing to help out... doubtful given that they have a strong aversion to all that aren't 100% Thai (whatever that is meant to mean... I guess 50% Chinese/ 50% Malay) and are as tight as a ducks @rse but they are good practising Thai Buddhists the lot of them... in between the adultery, boozing, child molestation, scams and self adulation that is...

Your post does raise some interesting food for thought given that only Thais are allowed to own land in Thailand... Just imagine if foreigners were allowed to buy up chunks of Thai land legally and foreign companies were treated equally to Thais by law, I'm pretty sure that a refugee camp would be erected in no time and jobs created for them by foreign developers sensing an opportunity to capitalise on some hard working cheap labour, currently a myth in Thailand unless you employ either Burmese or one of the last few Isaan families that remember how to do a full days work.

Edited by Ferangled

Let's be quite clear about one thing - this is a problem created by Myanmar. Why is nobody from the Thai government telling the Burmese to sort their own problems and stop pushing them onto their neighbours? Isn't this what ASEAN is for?

Perhaps there are more important considerations.

• Like 2

The Rohingyas are Refugees. They are a persecuted minority. They are considered to be the most persecuted group on earth.

How are we defining oppressed. I don't think that denying them citizenship and land ownership is the same level of oppression the nazis showed to the Jews. In china hey had a one child per couple rule. I guess that is oppression of a basic human right, then they should have been allowed to come to the USA or uk. How about the status of women in India? Here subject to being raped while going on a bus. All Indian women should be allowed to immigrate to Australia. How about the Egyptian who is facing a prison sentence for converting from Islam. She is oppressed to. My thoughts are that there is a lot of oppression in this world and different levels of oppression. Despite their lack of status in Myanmar they're not being systematically killed like the Jews in World War II.

The term I used is persecution and it is definable under UN guidelines. Oppression is not quite the same thing. Some of the groups/people you refer to would be refugees, if they fled their country. Lots of people, and lots of groups suffer from discrimination, but discrimination doesn't usually amount to persecution. Women in India--and a lot of countries--are discriminated against, but as a group they are not persecuted.

The Rohyinga are refugees because, among other things, they meet these criteria:

1. They are members of a specifically targeted group: They are denied the most basic of rights by the government, including the right to work, travel, education and most importantly citizenship and documentation within the country of their birth.

Here is the broad definition of a refugee:

"Any person who, owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group, or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality, and is unable to or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country"

The country of first asylum for these people is Thailand and it is here where they should remain pending full screening and resettlement in a third country, or returned to their home country if the situation causing them to flee can be adequately addressed.

Thailand is under no obligation to resettle them here.

Here is

• Like 2

Sadly this topic is quickly degenerating with the usual stereotypes emerging.

EDIT (apologies to the above commentator as I am not referring to you ... we posted at the same time)

Does Thailand not have a Sovereign right to declare those who should be allowed to enter the Kingdom?

Before making disparaging comments on the 'humanity' of Thailand ... maybe some research based on the number of refugees currently being cared for by the Thai Government as part of the nations population.

How does that figure compare to say Brazil, Kenya, China, Switzerland or New Zealand for example.

Indeed ... what countries are more 'compassionate' then Thailand when it comes to accepting refugees.

Edited by David48

Let's be quite clear about one thing - this is a problem created by Myanmar. Why is nobody from the Thai government telling the Burmese to sort their own problems and stop pushing them onto their neighbours? Isn't this what ASEAN is for?

You are quite right about who created the problem but the Thai government won't act for a number of reasons.

This country needs Burmese workers to do the jobs that Thais are too lazy to do. There's Tavoy which Thai companies are falling over themselves to get a piece of the action. And ASEAN is toothless when it comes to human rights.

There was an article in the business section of the other paper a week or so ago about a Thai company (can't remember which one) looking for a few thousand Bangladeshi workers. Wouldn't the Rohingya fit the bill?

Actually they should be citizens where they were born, but as they are considered stateless, it is difficult. Those born in Burma are Burmese, as those born in Thailand are Thai.

America is often criticized for it's attitude toward illegal immigration, but no country in th world has taken more refugees - 20 Million Vietnamese now call the USA 'HOME'... That doesn't count the thousands of Hmong, Cambodians, Lao, or Germans, Lebanese, et.al.

These boat people have drifted into Thailand, so naturally Thailand should take responsibility fo their safekeeping.

Just proper manners to take care of your fellow human beings.

Thailand

Country Population - 63,389,730

Refugee Population - 89,253

Natives per refugee - 710

World

Population - 7,062,900,000

Refugee Population -10,395,553

Natives per refugee - 679

Pakistan

Country Population - 177,918,500

Refugee Population -1,702,700

Natives per refugee - 104

Source

So, if you accept that that the world refugee table is broadly correct (despite some obvious anomalies) ... Thailand is ranked almost 1/2 way on the 'world compassion scale as indicated by the 'Natives per refugee' ... not better or worse ... just average.

No attempt whatsoever to "belittle the plight of these people and their treatment by the Thai authorities" ... as mentioned above.

EDIT ... in referance to the above comment ... we posted at the same time.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

You are quite right about who created the problem but the Thai government won't act for a number of reasons.

This country needs Burmese workers to do the jobs that Thais are too lazy to do. There's Tavoy which Thai companies are falling over themselves to get a piece of the action. And ASEAN is toothless when it comes to human rights.

There was an article in the business section of the other paper a week or so ago about a Thai company (can't remember which one) looking for a few thousand Bangladeshi workers. Wouldn't the Rohingya fit the bill?

Wouldn't the Rohingya fit the bill? No because they don't have a country to return to, or any of the credentials associated with citizenship. guest workers are expected to go home.

BTW Thailand has plenty of workers, but they are tied up in inefficient and uneconomic industries supported by subsidies. Stop the subsidies and they might seek other employment.

It's all so

FORMER Indonesian vice-president Jusuf Kalla has criticised key elements of the Australian opposition's border protection policies, including Tony Abbott's plan to turn back asylum-seeker boats.

Read more: http://www.news.com....4#ixzz2JREIRg6d

Hey tuky.

Why doesn't Indo take in all those refugees in question?

They pass through the country ,don't they?

..and last time I checked Indo is a 'stable' country

Hypocrisy of the highest order.

It's all very complicated, and no doubt difficult for the Oz Government not to totally p..s off the neighbours. As I understand it, the Australian govt paid for a large Immigration detention centre in Jakarta, but the illegals manage to slip out of this quite easily, and then mysteriously reappear a few thousand km away in the eastern islands, where they are able to pay large amounts of money to charter old wrecks of boats, and somehow manage to get to Christmas Island.

For some reason they are not keen to stay in Malaysia or Indonesia. They are not terribly welcome by most Australians, but there is a humanitarian aspect to be considered.

Thailand is already a host over 130,000 illegals/stateless people in refugee camps. If some people on this board had their way the entire country would be a refugee camp where everyone and anyone would be free to move into Thailand. A kin try protecting its citizens and culture by limiting immigration: why the utter nerve.

For all of those clamoring that Thailand should accept the rohingya why don't you write the embassy of your home country demanding that your home country take in the rohingya? Yeah I didn't think so. Given a choice the rohingya would prefer uk, oz or USA over Thailand anyways. And it is absolutely true the rohingya have no connection with the people or culture of Thailand. Why should Thailand have to accept them?

Why should Australia, US or the UK?...same argument...no cultural affinities whatsoever.