I Paid My Narawat Bridge Police Tax Today.

rene123

If you see a printed sign hanging off the post near the traffic light.

It almost certainly says "No left turn on red light".

Forget rolling stops, or any other such nonsense.

dam_n, I always thought those blue signs said that it was OK to turn left on a red there! Well it's always better to be lucky than smart.

When in Rome.....

But when in Thailand, don't - they're most likely doing it wrong whistling.gif

• Like 2

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just think you helped the police fund for they new pickup or flat screen telly

That is probably true, but I've come to understand how things are done here in Thailand and it doesn't bother me. In Canada we pay a large portion of our income in taxes of all kinds, both hidden and obvious. The efficient Canadian police system is paid for through taxes. The police get paid a good wage but that comes out of my income whether I like it or not. In Thailand, the police get paid a pittance in wages which they have to supplement through bribes and those road stops. If you learn and follow the rules, and pay the least amount of attention, you won't get stuck paying the bribes very often. When it eventually happens all you can do is laugh and pay up.

There was a whole string of farangs laughing about the situation. Everyone was guilty of something. Most were ticketed for not wearing helmets. The rental bikes all supply helmets, If people choose not to wear them then paying the occasional fine is the result.

In Canada we are over regulated, and the law makers keep adding more regulations to try and prevent stupidity. I'm sorry, but more laws won't prevent stupid people from doing dumb things. I kind of enjoy the freedom that Thailand offers. If you do something really stupid then it might cost you your life. If you learn to expect the unexpected then you can be reasonably safe in Thai traffic.

This is very sensible and I wish everyone had the same attitude as you. I can honestly say that I've been stopped a few times in Thailand and was guilty every time. Did pay the fine, which was a pittance compared to what it would have cost me in the USA.

I agree. It IS hard to pick up on the signs limiting turns, however. They are in Thai, of course, very small and easily missed.

post-47107-0-78661200-1359637360_thumb.j

Many signs, especially the newer ones, do tell left-turners to wait, but some say "liaw sai pan talod" or turn left at any time (see eg attached).

• Like 1

dam_n, I always thought those blue signs said that it was OK to turn left on a red there! Well it's always better to be lucky than smart.

Many do, like in the above post. Just read what it says.

(Never quite understood why anyone would be happy to remain illiterate. For a two week tourist: sure. But living here, sometimes for years or more, it becomes more puzzling.)

(Never quite understood why anyone would be happy to remain illiterate. For a two week tourist: sure. But living here, sometimes for years or more, it becomes more puzzling.)

Yes I know and I can, thanks. (Congratulations on your ability to read Thai so quickly; it took me years to even learn all the letters. Unfortunately the perception of sarcastic humor in a written language often eludes even its native speakers).

The problem with trying to read signs in Thailand is you should NEVER take your eyes off the ROAD. Just a split second looking in your mirror is enough to have an accident. Even when signs are in big letters in English I hardly ever look at them. And, because Thai riders and drivers pay no attention to signs anyway, it is easy to fall into the habit of going with the flow... just as the Thais do. If I did the things in Canada that I do every day in Thailand I would have my license taken away and I'd be locked up in a mental institution.

I've had a few narrow misses, but so far I've managed to stay upright on my motorbike. I just expect I'll have to pay a fine every once in a while and I'll just chalk it up as a road tax. I don't take risks (other than riding a motorbike in the first place) and I try to read what is happening well in front of me, and anticipate what other vehicles MIGHT do. I check my mirrors constantly and TRY to pay attention to what is gaining on me from behind, but that's not always possible when I'm in heavy traffic.

• Like 1

When I got busted at the same corner as the OP, the officer who gave me my ticket told me, in English, that my offense was not turning left on a red, but not stopping first, before doing it.

• Like 1

When I got busted at the same corner as the OP, the officer who gave me my ticket told me, in English, that my offense was not turning left on a red, but not stopping first, before doing it.

He must have been telling the truth. You can always trust a Thai policeman.

• Like 2

He must have been telling the truth. You can always trust a Thai policeman.

Evidently I am not quite as innocent and trusting as you, TommoPhysicist, because I do not share your confidence in that regard, but I did think it interesting that he volunteered that information even though I had not challenged or questioned, by deed, by look or by thought, their stopping me and issuing me a ticket. smile.png

Well a vote of thanks as it might save some of us some baht.I was not aware ,not being able tor read Thai,that you actually had to come to a complete stop before turning left. I have never noticed any other motorist do so. So much for the driving licence testsmile.png

• Like 1

It's death-defying to try and read all the signage while driving, but that particular sign (simply requiring a stop and look before turning on red) is pretty easy to spot.

It's small, rectangular, and text-only. While the Thai writing goes on too long for anyone who's not literate, there's a clue stuck on the end, and that's all I look for:

ไฟ.

Edited by anselpixel
  • Like 1

It's death-defying to try and read all the signage while driving, but that particular sign (simply requiring a stop and look before turning on red) is pretty easy to spot.

It's small, rectangular, and text-only. While the Thai writing goes on too long for anyone who's not literate, there's a clue stuck on the end, and that's all I look for:

ไฟ.

Thanks for that, anselpixel. I'll look for that sign and see if I can recognize it.

In the case of my ticket I DID stop at the red light because I was right behind 2 stopped motorbikes of farangs with no helmets that seemed to be talking to each other. I rode around them and turned left. That is when the policeman came running out. The other policemen ran out and stopped the farangs with no helmets.

I can't believe nobody has pointed out it's Nawarat Bridge, not Narawat.

( Named after King Nawarat, the last Lanna King who ruled until 1939. http://en.wikipedia...._Keo_Naovarat )

That's not pedantry by the way, that's having basic primary school knowledge and respect for the place you live in.

Thanks for that, Winnie. I've only heard people speak the name and it sounded like Narawat to me. I'll try to correct myself in the future. The map I have is only written in Thai. I STILL don't know if I spell Nimmenhaemin correctly. At least people understand where I mean.

• Like 1

The problem with trying to read signs in Thailand is you should NEVER take your eyes off the ROAD. Just a split second looking in your mirror is enough to have an accident. Even when signs are in big letters in English I hardly ever look at them. And, because Thai riders and drivers pay no attention to signs anyway, it

Sorry, but this is just silly. As it happens I was at that very spot on the OP yesterday, and there is a RED sign stating that traffic should wait for the traffic light. It's quite different from the blue sign indicating turning left on red is allowed. But what makes the statement silly is that when you are turning left on red into traffic, you are of course going very slow. Or likely even stop completely as you wait for traffic on the road your turning left on to clears. That means plenty of time to look at the sign. Or even to just stop and wait for the light, if in doubt.

I also checked on Google Street view and I believe the current sign is even clearer (may even have English) but looking at the overal traffic situation it would be one of where you're at a complete stop anyway, as you evaluate if turning left might be possible. But even before it really did not resemble the blue sign with the arrow indicating that a left turn on red is allowed: http://goo.gl/maps/wy03h

I must admit I've stopped using the Nawarat bridge and its junction with Charoen Prathet Rd completely. There is a red left turn light -but everyone ignores it. The police are almost always out in force there and can always find something you are doing wrong as a driver. The good thing about the local police is that they aren't terribly imaginative and as long as you have a good knowledge of the city its quite easy to avoid the main 'traps'

ไฟ.

Maybe that's why you are required to stop 1st, so you can read the bloody sign.

ไฟ.

Maybe that's why you are required to stop 1st, so you can read the bloody sign.

You need to stop so you have a look around the corner for "the rozzers" wink.png

Although I don't really disagree with Winnie, it is easy to fall into the habit of riding or driving like the Thais do... not paying any attention to signs, rules, or traffic lights. I'm scared I might bring back my bad habits to Canada, and the way I ride here. There will be no more riding down between the stopped vehicles, or into oncomming lanes to get to the head of the line at the lights. No more zipping in and out between moving cars either. I think they call that dangerous driving in Canada

Although I don't really disagree with Winnie, it is easy to fall into the habit of riding or driving like the Thais do... not paying any attention to signs, rules, or traffic lights. I'm scared I might bring back my bad habits to Canada, and the way I ride here. There will be no more riding down between the stopped vehicles, or into oncomming lanes to get to the head of the line at the lights. No more zipping in and out between moving cars either. I think they call that dangerous driving in Canada

Also, I got the impression that people make space for ambulances in Canada. Interesting, but kind of sensible when you think about it.

That is probably true, but I've come to understand how things are done here in Thailand and it doesn't bother me. In Canada we pay a large portion of our income in taxes of all kinds, both hidden and obvious. The efficient Canadian police system is paid for through taxes. The police get paid a good wage but that comes out of my income whether I like it or not. In Thailand, the police get paid a pittance in wages which they have to supplement through bribes and those road stops. If you learn and follow the rules, and pay the least amount of attention, you won't get stuck paying the bribes very often. When it eventually happens all you can do is laugh and pay up.

There was a whole string of farangs laughing about the situation. Everyone was guilty of something. Most were ticketed for not wearing helmets. The rental bikes all supply helmets, If people choose not to wear them then paying the occasional fine is the result.

In Canada we are over regulated, and the law makers keep adding more regulations to try and prevent stupidity. I'm sorry, but more laws won't prevent stupid people from doing dumb things. I kind of enjoy the freedom that Thailand offers. If you do something really stupid then it might cost you your life. If you learn to expect the unexpected then you can be reasonably safe in Thai traffic.

Does "do something stupid then it might cost you your life" cover riding a motorbike without a crash helmet?

My wife was hit by a motorbike when starting from a set of traffic lights. The other rider sped through a red light. My wife's crash helmet was smashed, but thankfully her injuries were minor. No crash helmet and she would have been paying the cost of "doing something stupid".

Does "do something stupid then it might cost you your life" cover riding a motorbike without a crash helmet?

My wife was hit by a motorbike when starting from a set of traffic lights. The other rider sped through a red light. My wife's crash helmet was smashed, but thankfully her injuries were minor. No crash helmet and she would have been paying the cost of "doing something stupid".

I always wear a helmet, and not just for protection from the police. I don't want to turn into a vegetable from a simple whack on the noggin. Breaks and scrapes I can live with, but not scrambled brains. There is an old truism... You either have already fallen off a bike or you are GOING to fall off a bike. You just hope it's not too serious.

• Like 2

Yes I know and I can, thanks. (Congratulations on your ability to read Thai so quickly; it took me years to even learn all the letters. Unfortunately the perception of sarcastic humor in a written language often eludes even its native speakers).

It shouldn't be too difficult to understand without having the language skills

A blue sign means : allowed / designated

A red sign means : forbidden

It's like that in most parts of the world.

and a sign with red and blue means? Wait ..........., let me think ........., oh, up to you. ;)

and a sign with red and blue means? Wait ..........., let me think ........., oh, up to you. wink.png

I've never seen a sign like that, since you seem to have knowledge of them, maybe you can post a picture.

• Like 1

That is true enough, but have you ever seen the majority of Thais follow the "rules of the road"? Stand at just about any traffic light and watch what happens. Riders continually jump the light before it turns green for them. Riders and drivers go through red lights LONG after they should have stopped. Tell me you DON'T see riders and drivers tailgating too close behind other vehicles and I'll say you are blind. People park in no parking zones all the time. They also park and block entire lanes of traffic, and they park too close to intersections making it difficult for traffic to flow.

The subject was just that I knowingly went through a notorious police check point and got caught doing something I didn't realize was illegal. I pulled up behind two motorbikes stopped at a red light. The riders on the bikes obviously knew each other and where having a conversation. I stopped behind them and then moved in front and went around the corner in an open lane. Unfortunately for me there were police flagging people down for whatever infractions they could think of. I should have taken a different route to the Worowat market.

That is true enough, but have you ever seen the majority of Thais follow the "rules of the road"? Stand at just about any traffic light and watch what happens. Riders continually jump the light before it turns green for them. Riders and drivers go through red lights LONG after they should have stopped. Tell me you DON'T see riders and drivers tailgating too close behind other vehicles and I'll say you are blind. People park in no parking zones all the time. They also park and block entire lanes of traffic, and they park too close to intersections making it difficult for traffic to flow.

The subject was just that I knowingly went through a notorious police check point and got caught doing something I didn't realize was illegal. I pulled up behind two motorbikes stopped at a red light. The riders on the bikes obviously knew each other and where having a conversation. I stopped behind them and then moved in front and went around the corner in an open lane. Unfortunately for me there were police flagging people down for whatever infractions they could think of. I should have taken a different route to the Worowat market.

Indeed I've seen all of what you describe above, in fact I see it each and every day over and over again.

But because Thai road users ignore every traffic sign, doesn't change the purpose and meaning of those signs.

It is a law for I think 14 years now that a motorider has to wear a helmet, yet the majority of Thais still ignore that law and get caught every day to pay a fine of almost a daily wage.