Learn To Cook Indian Food In Chiang Mai?

nivram4491

I had a chicken korma and yogurt salad at Hinlays today and was very impressed at the quality of the food and the reasonable price. However, I would still like to learn to make tasty Indian food myself. Is there any place in Chiang Mai that teaches Indian cooking?

Korma is a mild curry lightly sweeten with raisin paste and cashew. I don't know if you can find a good instructor in Thailand, also Indian food is not very popular here Try Jamie oliver recipe, make curry paste from scratch and really easy to understand. Or you can watch varchef from youtube. Try Royal India and Chedi for awesome Indian meal.

Try Royal India and Chedi for awesome Indian meal.

I found the Royal India very disappointing, with the amount of grease they supply with every meal, you could grease up a back axle. The Chedi is entirely different - a bit of class, but pricey.

Try Royal India and Chedi for awesome Indian meal.

I found the Royal India very disappointing, with the amount of grease they supply with every meal, you could grease up a back axle. The Chedi is entirely different - a bit of class, but pricey.

Like what days and how pricey.

Agreed. The issue though is having access to the real thing, so you know if you hit it or not. There are some foods that are difficult to find good/authentic versions of, so while I can check recipes and watch Youtube vids all day long, I need a place to order the dish to know if I hit the spot.

Foods that are hard to find authentic versions of include:

* Southern American / Cajun food such as Gumbo and Jambalaya

* Spanish food

* Greek

* Arab and Middle Eastern

Has anyone tried the Indian restaurant behind Zoe in Yellow? ?

That is the Royal lndia.To me, it tastes pretty much like eating in a cheap Indian restaurant in India and is just as grimy, but the price is right. At the mouth of the same soi is Kebab House run by his brother. That is about the same quality, but maybe even cheaper. Edited by Ulysses G.

Agreed. The issue though is having access to the real thing, so you know if you hit it or not. There are some foods that are difficult to find good/authentic versions of, so while I can check recipes and watch Youtube vids all day long, I need a place to order the dish to know if I hit the spot.

* Spanish food

* Greek

The question is - Who defines what's authentic and what's not? - I can get a Chicken Madras from one restaurant and yet it will be completely different from another one. Who's to say which is the right one?

A discussion has been had on here about 2 different take away Indian foods from Rimping, One is made from a sponsor here, or maybe a former sponsor as I haven't seen him make a post for a while, and a competitor, my preference is for the latter, but that's my taste.

About a year ago I found "The taste of India" restaurant and I thought it was extremely good, unfortunately it closed down about 6 months ago!!

I now make my own curries and Onion Bhaji, not perfect yet but I'm getting there and I know what's gone into them. A friend of mine had one of the curries that I had made and he thought it was brilliant, I thought it was mediocre. Just shows that everyone has their own view of taste.

Has anyone tried the Indian restaurant behind Zoe in Yellow? ?

That is the Royal lndia.To me, it tastes pretty much like eating in a cheap Indian restaurant in India and is just as grimy, but the price is right. At the mouth of the same soi is Kebab House run by his brother. That is about the same quality, but maybe even cheaper.

kebab house used to be cheaper but its more expensive now but tastier imo. the thing about royal india is that sometimes it could be "off", imo they have some really rock solid samosa

Bollywood was, in my opinion, pretty good but of course no longer there. Has anyone tried the Indian restaurant behind Zoe in Yellow? Any other Indian eatery suggestions?

Bollywood is still there. They moved across the street. Hit or miss... never the same each time.

They did move to the place behind Jack's van but closed down a while ago.

* Spanish food

* Greek

The question is - Who defines what's authentic and what's not? - I can get a Chicken Madras from one restaurant and yet it will be completely different from another one. Who's to say which is the right one?

Right, and I understand that; almost no dish has a single accepted way to make it. However I would like a good understanding of what I'm trying to achieve. Imagine having to make Thai Tom Yam without having ever set foot in Thailand. For sure there are infinite variations, but you do need some idea of the balance between spicy, soury, salty and sweet. (knowing full well that many styles are completely NOT sweet at all, yet I want to understand the concept and the range of styles, then pick one that suits me.)

I also don't mean to say that I only want to cook something in some mythical 'authentic' way and nothing else; I'll readily vary just about anything, but want to stick to the overall concept. And never having set foot in the far American South, I have no idea where I'm going with gumbo other than that it involves Okra, celery, mixed seafood and a bit of tomato and peppers, but really don't know what to substitute for Andouille sausage (chorizo I suppose, or some kind of salami perhaps)

As for faux Indian food, I'm getting quite good at that starting with a random Thai curry paste (or even ready made from a market, though the coconut milk really is a no-no) such as Khua Kling, Massaman or Phanaeng and then adding yogurt and some more spices (cumin, turmeric, cloves, etc.) and some potato and/or veggies. Very interesting results, not to mention quick and easy, and it doesn't really bother me that it's not any specific Indian dish. smile.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Only place to find is in Warorot market, the Bombay shop or some name like that.

I've been meaning to try my hand at cooking some "easier" Indian dishes and randomly came across this recipe:

Is dried mango powder easy to find in Thailand?

kebab house used to be cheaper but its more expensive now but tastier imo. the thing about royal india is that sometimes it could be "off", imo they have some really rock solid samosa

The samosa is hard like a solid rock? Or the taste is rock solid great? thumbsup.gif