Oops My Visa Has Expired, Now What?

Its been about a week already. I just read the article on Thai Visa that the max penalty is 20,000 so that means 100 days...

Assuming I don't come in contact with any police (a safe assumption as I've been in thailand 4 months and have never even spoken to one) is there any reason (other than the fine) that I shouldn't wait 2 months or more before I get a new visa?

I really don't care about paying the 20k baht and to be honest I wouldn't mind paying that every 4 months so I only have to leave 3 times a year. Anybody do this successfully? Any horror stories?

(I'd prefer people refrain from OVERSTAYERS ARE SCUM!) comments and such, doesn't help anybody really.

Cheers

NO EXCUSE....

Go now... sort the visa... do the visa run... and hope (pray, chant, whatever) you don't get stopped on the way to the border by police checking the buses etc.. (because they are..).. and if they do get you before you get to the border.. som num naa !

And figure on paying bt500 per day for each day over... maximum bt20000 .

I won't say you are scum.... but you're stupid ... :o

totster :D

What a 'magic' handle... :o

huh? degen is a reference to me being a degenerate gambler, i dig my handle...i've used it on probably 10 forums now

Sort your visa out and stop whinging!! If they catch you,, you are in deep shi*e!!! BTW overstayers aren't scum - they are STUPID. :D

no offense but is there a forum for young people or like people who aren't sticklers for the rules or whatever?

What a 'magic' handle... :o

huh? degen is a reference to me being a degenerate gambler, i dig my handle...i've used it on probably 10 forums now

Sort your visa out and stop whinging!! If they catch you,, you are in deep shi*e!!! BTW overstayers aren't scum - they are STUPID. :D

no offense but is there a forum for young people or like people who aren't sticklers for the rules or whatever?

Unfortunately you won't be dealing with young people's forums if you get caught anywhere but at Don Muang - you'll be dealing with the Immigration Police and they ARE sticklers for the rules. As they say in Thailand 'Up to you'

Well if you carry on like this, you won't have the luxury of using your handle on this forum too much longer.

There was a time, back in the early 70's when the Police were so respectful towards foreigners, that if they discovered you had over stayed your visa, they would doff their hats to you and smile a knowing smile - they assumed that you must ahave an important puyai taking care of you, and your visa was none of their business. Every year or so, I'd surrrender to immigration police, pay a small fine, and be out of the country that night - no sweat.

In the late 70's my then Thai employer forgot to renew my work permit. He told me not to worry, just turn up at court, pay a fine and everything would be OK. What I didn't know was that they told the judge that I had dissappeared up- country for many weeks and it wasn't their fault as they couldn't locate me to renew the work permit. Not understanding Thai, I smiled and signed the statement on the dotted line, whereupon I was seized, hand-cuffed and hauled off in a paddy wagon to the local nick. I stayed there for 3 weeks, until a laywer finally was able to obtain my release. I slept on the floor with drug addicts, and murderers, we shared a filthy open communial toilet, and the food was inedible. Not an experience to be repeated, ever.

These days I am paranoid about my visa - I will NEVER EVER let it expire.

I tell you mate, it just aint worth it - one day you may live to regret it. Get it sorted. :o

Assuming I don't come in contact with any police (a safe assumption as I've been in thailand 4 months and have never even spoken to one) is there any reason (other than the fine) that I shouldn't wait 2 months or more before I get a new visa?

Your the online gaming expert on a 5 figure sum every month, why dont you work the odds out?

You already know the score and yet your willing to overstay in the full knowledge that your doing so................i cant see the point in asking the question personally. :o

Your the online gaming expert on a 5 figure sum every month, why dont you work the odds out?

You already know the score and yet your willing to overstay in the full knowledge that your doing so................i cant see the point in asking the question personally. :o

was hoping to get some response from some people who might be sympathetic to my plight and provide tips

what i see so far is a bunch of baseless paranoia and one guy who has a horrible story about how he got screwed over by his employer

i have nobody here who even knows i'm alive much less knows my situation and would turn me in...i don't do anything that would put me in contact with the police...i really don't see why not to overstay and just pay the fine...

i don't get why you guys on this forum are so pro-rules and pounding the pavement for morals and etchics...is this board read by the thai governement or something?

@DEGENFALANG what means degen? stupid?? the price for overstay is now 500 bath everyday

DegenErate, i'm a professional poker player, its kindof a joke

i could care less about paying 500 baht a day if it means i don't have to lose a day spending it on some crappy bus and get up at 5am to go to cambodia and have 83 little kids try and pick my pocket, fine, i'll pay it

has anybody heard of any problems people have had IF they make it to the airport or border?

Its been about a week already. I just read the article on Thai Visa that the max penalty is 20,000 so that means 100 days...

I really don't care about paying the 20k baht and to be honest I wouldn't mind paying that every 4 months so I only have to leave 3 times a year. Anybody do this successfully? Any horror stories?

(I'd prefer people refrain from OVERSTAYERS ARE SCUM!) comments and such, doesn't help anybody really.

Cheers

I can only say be so polite, adapt and respect the local laws. If that does not suit you leave Thailand! :o

was hoping to get some response from some people who might be sympathetic to my plight and provide tips

Difficult to be sympathetic to your plight when you are openly contemplating breaking the law for the next 2 months.

Hardly see how you have any plight anyway , you've said in another thread that you have plenty of cash so we are basically down to laziness........aren't we?

I can understand you may not like the run to Cambodia.........h.ell i dont, thats why i fly down to Singapore every 3 months....why dont you do that?

If you make it to the airport then yes you can pay the fine and leave.................i wouldnt make it a habit though.

I not feeding you any more now........ :o

I can understand you may not like the run to Cambodia.........h.ell i dont, thats why i fly down to Singapore every 3 months....why dont you do that?

If you make it to the airport then yes you can pay the fine and leave.................i wouldnt make it a habit though.

there is some useful information, thank you

This strategy might work, but is that the best you can manage?

... the max penalty is 20,000...
If you believe that the maximum penalty for overstaying is THB 20,000, you were misinformed.

Lopburi quoted Section 81 of the Immigration Act in another thread, and here it is again, specially for you:

Section 81 : Any alien who stay in the Kingdom without permission or with permission expired or revoked shall be punished with imprisonment not exceeding two years or a fine not exceeding 20,000 Baht or both.
And now, as someone has said in this thread: “it’s up to you”.

--------------

Maestro

Do you work every day of the month? Do you ever take a rest? It would only take one day, at the most two, to fly to a nearby consulate/embassy like Singapore or Malaysia, and maybe you could play online on the internet in that other city if you're there overnight. Surely you can have 200,000 baht in small change, in a Thai bank. Still, you'd have to do that every 90 days.

But if you want to see what the political/police attitude is in a year or two, when you've overstayed that long, consider the odds that prison food will taste good. :o

I hope that helps. Aything more from me might start (another) argument.

being young has nothing to do with it.....I am 32 so dont class myself as old but you are asking a stupid question and not expecting to recieve some mild flaming.

laws are there for a reason and see how far you get when you get blacklisted try getting into other countries after that. Also the maximium fine will not include the unofficial "tea money" you may have to pay.

there are a lot of people on here who have lived here for a long time and know what they are talking about so you should listen.

Also why did you not get a multiple entry visa before you arrived then you only do a visa run every 3 months to save yourself from braking the law by becoming a illegal overstayer..

dont be stupid and do your visa run.....you should have planned better before your trip.

At the end of the day it appears that you have made your mind up to overstay and risk only having to pay a fine. Being a poker player you have probably calculated the odds and saw that they are pretty much in your favour. I knew a guy who managed to get away with it for 4 years. Got to the airport, paid the fine, went back to the UK, got a Non Im B and flew back 2 weeks later, no questions asked. I myself have been stopped a few times by the police, but they have never asked to check my passport or visa.

However you will also be aware that SOMETIMES people do get caught, and that SOMETIMES they cannot bribe themselves out of it and SOMETIMES they end up doing some time and/or getting deported. Nobody ever thinks they will get caught, but your luck will not hold forever. Read the thread on the Ranong 12 for what CAN happen.

Your basic choices are:

1) Follow the rules and leave the country as per your stamp. As suggested previously, you can fly to and from any local country within a day, or stay somewhere for a couple of days. If you play online poker I would imagine you could do it pretty much anywhere with a decent internet connection. Visa run buses are not the only option.

2) Ignore the rules, leave the country whenever you want and pay the relevant overstay fine, then come back to ThaiVisa and complain about how badly you were treated and how unfair it is when you are unlucky enough to get stopped and have your passport checked in a bar/street/whatever.

Just out of interest what visa did you enter on?

what i see so far is a bunch of baseless paranoia and one guy who has a horrible story about how he got screwed over by his employer

i have nobody here who even knows i'm alive much less knows my situation and would turn me in...i don't do anything that would put me in contact with the police...i really don't see why not to overstay and just pay the fine...

i don't get why you guys on this forum are so pro-rules and pounding the pavement for morals and etchics...is this board read by the thai governement or something?

i could care less about paying 500 baht a day if it means i don't have to lose a day spending it on some crappy bus and get up at 5am to go to cambodia and have 83 little kids try and pick my pocket, fine, i'll pay it

You're such an arrogant b...d! Do you really think you will get any sympathy or help by insulting everyone?

The point of my story was to make you aware of the consequences of getting caught, and that absolutely anyone in Thailand is capable of 'shopping' you.

So you're a PROFESSIONAL poker Player - a big shot Huh? Did you know that gambling is illegal in Thailand? So anyone could shop you, or are you one of these sad b..ds that sits at a computer screen and plays with himself?

Cambodia is one of the poorest countries in the world - your patronising and arrogant attitude to starving kids does you no credit.

I wish I could say that I hope someone shops you...but I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

Try a little humility my friend. :o:D This is a buddhist country - maybe you should study it for a while :D

If you're in Bangkok and it's in your budget, it would be better to head to Don Muang and buy an inexpensive (Air Asia, Tiger Air, Jetstar Asia, etc.) air ticket to Penang, KL, Singapore, or Phnom Penh.

This would reduce the chances of Police stopping your ground transport near a border crossing, and subjecting you to the same treatment that the 12 overstayers in Ranong endured earlier this month.

@DEGENFALANG what means degen? stupid?? the price for overstay is now 500 bath everyday

has anybody heard of any problems people have had IF they make it to the airport or border?

A couple of years or so ago, I knew a chap who was on extended overstay: let's call him 'Dick'.

It was at the time when the crackdown of the day was fake passport stamps provided by 'Visa Agents'.

Dick was something of a 'colourful' character and, for his own reasons, needed to get out of Thailand rather quickly and with minimum attention from the authorities.

Dick made it to Don Muang without incident, and proceeded to pay the ฿20,000 fine.

However, thinking he was OK, Dick was then taken to a separate room and interviewed by two officers.

They wanted to know and see evidence of how he had been funding his extended stay in the Kingdom.

Not surprisingly, he could not come up with a plausible explanation nor produce anything to that effect.

Dick was then told that he was to be arrested and detained, pending further investigation.

'Negotiations' ensued which culminated in him being allowed to leave the Kingdom, albeit minus all the cash he had on him and his genuine Cartier watch.

Of course if you were similarily interviewed, all you would have to do is show a couple of packs of cards and explain that you are a professional poker player... :o