Baht Rise A Threat To Tourism: Kittiratt

webfact

Baht rise a threat to tourism: Kittiratt

Bamrung Amnatcharoenrit

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Tourism operators and Finance Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong yesterday acknowledged that the strengthening of the baht in the long term is a new challenge for the tourism industry, especially in its attempt to achieve revenue of Bt2 trillion in 2015.

Kittiratt said the tourism sector is similar to the export sector, which is concerned with foreign currencies. If the baht appreciates more, the tourism sector will be in danger. Clearly, foreign tourists will feel that they get less value from the currency they spent when compared to the previous day.

newsjs

He insisted on helping the baht maintain a suitable exchange rate. The issue was raised yesterday at a seminar, "Overall Perspective and Economic Policy for Thai Tourism to reach the Target of Bt2 trillion in 2015", held by the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA) and Thai Hotels Association (THA). Tourism operators gathered to discuss issues from problems to cooperation with the government in order to strengthen the industry outlook.

Surapong Techaruvichit, THA's president, said the stronger baht is still acceptable in the industry. It's not a serious problem right now. Compared to other nations in Asean, they have faced the same destiny with a stronger rate of their local currencies. Also, the Japanese yen has dropped 15 per cent so far. Eventually, he believed the foreign tourists would not abandon Thailand to travel to other nations instead.

This year, the number of foreign tourists to Thailand is projected to grow 8 per cent to 24 million, while the number of domestic travellers is expected to increase 5 per cent to 118 million trips.

Kittirat said the tourism industry is one of the key economic drivers. He agreed to cooperate with the private sector in projects initiated by operators to help boost the industry's revenue, especially foreign tourists who are the key spenders for the industry.

Regarding the Bt2 trillion revenue target in 2015, he said there were three ways it could be achieved: increase the number of foreigners visiting the country; increase the length of tourists' stay, or wooing more wealthy tourists. Tourism revenue from foreign tourists makes up 3 in 4 of the total spending.

Last year, the total tourism revenue was Bt1.46 trillion and will increase to Bt1.59 trillion this year.

Tourist safety is another concern and must be solved. Kittirat said at present Thailand is considered unsafe. He said tourism sites should be made more attractive and new sites should be opened, which will be connected with mass transport projects.

The private sector hoped an increase in room rate would help boost their revenue. By doing so, they have looked for ways to control an imbalance in demand and supply in some areas. Especially unlicensed operators, they have adopted pricing wars to attract tourists, leading to the real rate dropping. They said if its rate increases 5 per cent that means its revenue would rise by Bt300 billion.

This year, a new ministerial regulation will take effect to crack down on illegal operators.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-01

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheap food's the clincher. Ever smaller servings of food at higher prices seems to be the order of the day. Add a higher baht to this and I reckon a lot of tourists might consider not returning.

• Like 2

It would be interesting to see the tourist figures over the last 5yrs to see if he is right to worry. But I'm sure I read recently that the TAT announced record figures for last year and if so he has nothing to worry about! Five years ago one pound got you about 73-74 baht compared to 46 today and one Euro got about 55 compared to 39 today. People will still come regardless.

It would be interesting to see the tourist figures over the last 5yrs to see if he is right to worry. But I'm sure I read recently that the TAT announced record figures for last year and if so he has nothing to worry about! Five years ago one pound got you about 73-74 baht compared to 46 today and one Euro got about 55 compared to 39 today. People will still come regardless.

but you can buy currency at a cheaper rate now...Then cut ones losses a tad and not return... Tourists are always looking for better package deals and south east asia has a host of other locations...Personally I much prefer Indonesia...and 9600 Rup to the dollar makes my cost of living as a resident a lot easier..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Cheap food's the clincher. Ever smaller servings of food at higher prices seems to be the order of the day. Add a higher baht to this and I reckon a lot of tourists might consider not returning.

Perhaps the cheap whining Brits can form a chorus and sing for their supper.

• Like 1

First car buyer program, house programs, tourist programs. The land of programs welcome you to eat and stay cheap. Sorry about the Baht rise, we will start lucky draw events at the airport upon arrival and departure. If you don't come, you will miss a chance for a happy ending na ka.

Psst, wake me up when the carnival ride is over....

• Like 1

but you can buy currency at a cheaper rate now...Then cut ones losses a tad and not return... Tourists are always looking for better package deals and south east asia has a host of other locations...Personally I much prefer Indonesia...and 9600 Rup to the dollar makes my cost of living as a resident a lot easier..

Can I give you a ride to the airport. You probably can't afford a taxi.

Can I give you a ride to the airport. You probably can't afford a taxi.

Do you have a meter? Hope your work permits in order!

PAH....I'm at pains to remember the last time an Antipodean was at the head of the queue to get a round in tongue.png

Too busy shooting Germans by all accounts

PAH....I'm at pains to remember the last time an Antipodean was at the head of the queue to get a round in tongue.png

Too busy shooting Germans by all accounts

w00t.gif

Frankly speaking I'll be glad to see the THB take a bit of a hit on tourist numbers. I believe visitors with a decent level of income will continue to come even if their currencies dropped 10% against the baht. What I don't like and I don't think they bring much to the local economy is the large coach parties of Indians, Chinese and Russians on package tours who seemingly don't have a proverbial pot top p... in. You know the ones I mean, they can be seen ambling around like ducklings with hotel towels thrown around their necks, or standing outside 7-11 with a bottle of Chang in hand. They seem to be ghosted in by coach, taken to business where a kickback is paid and then ghosted out again never to be seen spending any money in the local bars or restaurants. I recently heard there are Russians arriving on package tours from Eastern Russia and paying 400 Euro for a two week holiday 'All In'!. By removing this element of tourism, it may encourage the better quality of tourists to reappear, since their numbers have declined as these low end travellers have descended upon Thailand's shores. Generally they're rude, ignorant, hate cueing, wander aimlessly in the road as if they're in Mumbai, negotiate group sex for 500 baht, share a bottle of beer and bring nothing with them. If the baht strengthened substantially agaist the Ruppee or Rouble I wouldn't shed a single tear...

on a bright note at least we dont have to listen to their whinging on the english speaking forums
  • Like 2

Cambodia, Burma and Vietnam all require paid for visa's, and are full on communist or in Cambodia's case a banana republic.

Thailand was in the right place at the right time during the boom years of the late 90s/00s, it'll take some catching up for those other nations you mention.

• Like 2

But, but but, the baht has risen all the way from 50 to the USD to 29.5 today, there is a global recession and yet the numbers are 23mn arrivals.

So is an extra few percent here or there, going to all of a sudden make the industry collapse? Pfffft.

Agreed It seems a few years back the dollar was low and rebounded. I remember when it was holding pretty steady around the 35 baht mark and it started dropping we heard the same thing yet in spite of the rising baht airport seizures and terrorist attacks on Thailand (some still continuing) the tourist numbers grew. All be it it was a different tourist.

We ex pats can't really moan about the THB can we, after all we are shipping $/£/Euro's and now Rubles here by the bucket load and with that the THB gets stronger so we have to ship even more so the THB gets even stronger. Will it stop? Sure! I think we are the last generation to enjoy this wonderful land, the next generation will be gong elsewhere.

Interesting...

Many posters have lectured me that Tourisim is an insignificant portion of the Thai GDP. (Only 7%, peanuts, Thais don't need tourists, etc., etc.)

However, the Thais seem to feel it is significant.

What do the na sayers say now? :)

PS- I vote that tourisim is indeed one of several pillars of the Thai economy and tour related employment is a big segment of the employeed :)

Frankly speaking I'll be glad to see the THB take a bit of a hit on tourist numbers. I believe visitors with a decent level of income will continue to come even if their currencies dropped 10% against the baht. What I don't like and I don't think they bring much to the local economy is the large coach parties of Indians, Chinese and Russians on package tours who seemingly don't have a proverbial pot top p... in. You know the ones I mean, they can be seen ambling around like ducklings with hotel towels thrown around their necks, or standing outside 7-11 with a bottle of Chang in hand. They seem to be ghosted in by coach, taken to business where a kickback is paid and then ghosted out again never to be seen spending any money in the local bars or restaurants. I recently heard there are Russians arriving on package tours from Eastern Russia and paying 400 Euro for a two week holiday 'All In'!. By removing this element of tourism, it may encourage the better quality of tourists to reappear, since their numbers have declined as these low end travellers have descended upon Thailand's shores. Generally they're rude, ignorant, hate cueing, wander aimlessly in the road as if they're in Mumbai, negotiate group sex for 500 baht, share a bottle of beer and bring nothing with them. If the baht strengthened substantially agaist the Ruppee or Rouble I wouldn't shed a single tear...

What a moronic, bigoted post.

It reeks of bitterness over what you may perceive as the systematic erosion of your "entitlement" as a Caucasian Westerner to visit/live in Thailand by the influx of people from countries that have recently benefited from greater economic power.

<deleted> should the TAT do? Restrict those who don't drive a Mercedes at home or, perhaps, sell vouchers at the airport that can only be redeemed at higher-end bars and restaurants? Maybe they should means-test Indians and Russians as the plane approaches Swampy?

Perhaps you should pay mind to the huge influx of Russians who bring serious amounts of money to the residential property market in places like Pattaya. Many of the businesses in Pattaya have signs outside their premises written in Thai, English and Russian in recognition of the contribution they make to the local economy.

In my experience, people who bitch about the new dynamic in Thailand's tourism are used to seeing this country as one of the last remaining vestiges of a world where the white man's dollar, pound or euro still carries weight. Fortunately, though, those currencies are and will continue to be in the shitter for the foreseeable future and the Brits, Yanks and Europeans I've seen constantly poncing drinks and cigarettes in the bars and clubs in order to preserve funds for female companionship at the end of an evening will disappear too.

I like your post. While it is true I really don't care how much the tourist dollar flows into Pattaya and Phuket. Particularly Pattaya. It would seem that the big draw in Pattaya benefits only girls and Alcohol related businesses for the most part.

I know it is impractical but it would be nice if more of the tourist dollar benefited all the poorer areas. Idle thinking.

• Like 1

Interesting...

Many posters have lectured me that Tourisim is an insignificant portion of the Thai GDP. (Only 7%, peanuts, Thais don't need tourists, etc., etc.)

However, the Thais seem to feel it is significant.

What do the na sayers say now? smile.png

PS- I vote that tourisim is indeed one of several pillars of the Thai economy and tour related employment is a big segment of the employeed smile.png

It may only account for 7% of the economy but it affects at least 29% of the work force.

My opinion only.