Opposition Dumps Thaksin's Election Plans

Felix Lynn

As somone who welcomed the protests against various aspects of recent governmental behaviour I have been somewhat shocked by the reaction to the snap elections. The boycott concept really just smacks of people who are interested in grabbing power, who know they cannot do it be the democratic method set out in the consitution and therefore declare they won't play ball by standing in the elections and demand constitutional reform on the basis that they are acting for the people in a manner that they (the minority) demand. Thailand may be far from the perfect democracy at present (indeed I don't believe one has ever actually existed) but it does seem to have been moving in the right direction. To me these type of actions take it dangerously close to going very much in the opposite direction. Much as I have disliked some of Taksin's actions of late I am really dismayed by these recent developments - no wonder he is confident of winning reelection if this is the calibre of the people he is standing against.

I don't accept those posters who have suggested that Taksin hasn't put out any policies (eg poster 14) - read the newspapers. You may or may not agree with the policies but TRT have been setting out policy stances for the new election. I've seen less in terms of policy from the opposition parties though other than down with Taksin and reform the constitution in an undemocractic way.

Nor am I impressed by arguments that it is unfair to call such an election at such short notice. Firstly, the parties should have known it was a possibility and have been ready. Secondly, if they are any good they should have set out their policies, etc alread, election or not - there should be little need for massive campaigning. Thirdly if its in compliance with electoral laws and the constitution TRT are entitled to do this in the same way that the opposition parties would have been entitled to do had they been in power. The argument that its unfair because TRT MPs don't have time to switch parties in time seems a bit limp. If these guys were so dissatisfied with TRT what on earth were they still doing in the party anyway - why hadn't they moved already?

Whilst one feels safe expressing these views today one worries that the case may not remain so in future if recent events signal the shape of things to come. :o

That ignores the fact however that Thaksin has so undermined the democratic processes and associated checks and balances that for the opposition to continue to play along with them would infact legitimise everything that TRT have done. There is no independent:

- judiciary

- civil service

- regulators (telecoms's etc)

- Thai media - the ones who truely count

Anyone else who tries to speak out is gagged and bankrupted - Lee Quan Yu style

Samran - on the contrary - it does not ignore it. It explicity recognises that Thailand is far from the perfect democracy - hence my welcoming recent protests against the TRT government. Though I do think you overstate the facts (who was it who eventually put an end to the EGAT privatisation - the judiciary), who was it who did confirm securities regulations by Taksin's family (the regulator - the SEC) and are the media currently completely pro-Taksin (of course not).

Definately these institutions could do to be given a lot more teeth and independence and more democratic input be injected into the system. I acknowledge that there are serious defects. The question how to do that? Do you do it by boycotting the democractic process taking place in accordance with the constitution because you think you will lose or do you do it by taking part in the elections and respecting the will of the people expressed in the ballot box? What takes democracy further most? Why don't the opposition get off their backsides and run a decent campaign based partly around putting into effect the reforms you mention above? If I could vote it would attract my vote. Running home with the ball because they are losing the game certainly doesn't. To me this all smacks of the tail trying to wag the dog.

PS Posters references to what their friends in Bangkok express is hardly strong grounds to support a stance against the constitution. The views of all Thais should be taken into account and there is a clear way to do this - in an election.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All he needs to do is grant their initial and most important demand and that is to resign...

It's easy to get Thaksin out as the PM. Beat him and TRT in an election form a new government and have a new PM. Ohhh.... I forgot.... they are boycotting an election because they don't have a hope of beating the TRT, forming a government or supplying a new PM. There is much smoke and mirrors on both sides. It's time they all thought about what is best for Thailand rather than follow their own agenda, TRT, Democrat or whomever..

The joint opposition leaders need a reality check and to realize that they are beginning to loose credibility with their non wavering stand. They ask for something and when it is granted they ask for something else, sometimes you have to cut your losses and run with what you have gained or you may loose it all.

On the contrary, it's Thaksin who lost all credibility. He changes his mind daily, and even on a hour to hour basis.

He has only one agenda : to buy time. It's crystal clear now.

It's too easy to say : "okay, let's postpone 2 weeks elections" or "OK don't boycott my elections and I promise you that we will set after a comittee to review what we can do to amend the Constitution" etc.

The guy is a player.

The only way to "play" with him is to stand straight and to boycott elections. I believe that the opposition has understood that.

The way to 'play' him is to play by the rules. Respect the democratic system and use his weaknesses and failings to assist the opposition to win the election. A competent, sensible political party with integrity should be able to defeat TRT in an election given all these acknowledged weaknesses and failings. Isn't the problem here twofold - one a ruling party and leader with acknowledged failings and two a very worrying opposition?

All he needs to do is grant their initial and most important demand and that is to resign...

It's easy to get Thaksin out as the PM. Beat him and TRT in an election form a new government and have a new PM. Ohhh.... I forgot.... they are boycotting an election because they don't have a hope of beating the TRT, forming a government or supplying a new PM. There is much smoke and mirrors on both sides. It's time they all thought about what is best for Thailand rather than follow their own agenda, TRT, Democrat or whomever..

Here, here!

PS are the Democrat party going to change their name to more acurately reflect their current stance?

It's all quantitative... :o

TRT Party smoke and mirrors:

TRTsmoke.jpg

TRTmirror.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Opposition smoke and mirrors:

Oppositionsmoke.jpg

oppositionmirror.jpg

A competent, sensible political party with integrity should be able to defeat TRT in an election given all these acknowledged weaknesses and failings.

PS are the Democrat party going to change their name to more acurately reflect their current stance?

You said the magic words "competent & sensible" and that description seems to let the major opposition parties off the hook as being any type of opponent to TRT.

DemoChartMaHaveThaiChowOnBoycottCoalitionConspiracy Party has a nice ring to it.

It's all quantitative... :o

tantrum.jpg

When dealing with temper tantrums, the job is two-fold:

1. To rid the child of the behavior and convey that tantrums are not acceptable;

2. To teach children how to ask for things in an appropriate way.

The same can be said for politicians that act like children, no matter what party they represent.

Senators will ask premier to step down before invoking Article 7 of the Constitution.

A group of senators is preparing to submit a letter demanding that the Prime Minister resign to end political crisis, adding that if the premier agrees to step down, Article 7 of the Constitution can be invoked to request a cabinet from His Majesty the King.

Representing 30 senators who came to discuss the issue yesterday, Bangkok senator Sak Kosangrueng (สัก กอแสงเรือง) expressed concern over the current political chaos, especially the major rally planned by the People’s Alliance for Democracy on March 5. He said that the senators will submit a letter to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinnawat, asking him to resign to ease the current crisis before Article 7 of the Constitution can be applied, adding that more than 50 senators agreed with this approach.

The senators also discussed how Article 7 of the Constitution can be applied if the premier agrees to step down. Section 7 states that customs and conventions practiced under the constitutional monarchy will be applied in situations not covered by the constitution. The senators believe that an impartial interim cabinet appointed by His Majesty the King can work to solve the crisis and lead the country toward political reform and finally a fresh election.

Bangkok senator Chirmsak Pinthong (เจิมศักดิ์ ปิ่นทอง) said that invoking Section 7 is not in any way bypassing the constitution since the constitution itself has come to a dead end. Meanwhile, Bangkok senator Seri Suwanpanon (เสรี สุวรรณภานนท์) warned the government against issuing the Emergency Executive Decree to solve the current tension, as it will worsen the situation.

He also warns the ministry of Natural Resources and Environment against bringing officials from Forestry Department to get involved in the rally, as the police are already responsible for providing safety for the people attending the demonstrations.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 March 2006

Looks like it will be easy now - :o

The latest I heard on the news this morning was that there is a letter being sent to HRH to ask for a temporary Prime Minister.

Thai Rak Thai suggests ways for the constitutional amendments.

Deputy Thai Rak Thai party leader Pongtep Tepkarnjana (พงษ์เทพ เทพกาญจนา) insisted that the party is willing to accept proposals by the opposition, while proposing two possible ways to amend the Constitution.

Mr. Pongtep commented during a program on Channel 11 that the Thai Rak Thai party has tried its best to negotiate with the opposition to push for constitutional amendments. As for proposals for neutral parties to amend the charter, Mr. Pongtep said that the party agrees with the idea and said that there are two possible ways for the constitutional amendments: the Constitution Drafting Commission or the National Assembly.

From the previous post:

"Bangkok senator Chirmsak Pinthong (เจิมศักดิ์ ปิ่นทอง) said that invoking Section 7 is not in any way bypassing the constitution since the constitution itself has come to a dead end."

Personally, I can't see that a "dead end" has been reached...seems to me that things are rolling right along towards an election which has been called following the constitutional requirements perfectly...no dead end here except maybe for the big three parties who have decided that they don't want to be part of the next parliament.

No conclusion has been made on the election date postponement.

Deputy Prime Minister and Secretary to the cabinet consulted with the Election Commission to postpone the election date, but no conclusion has been reached.

Deputy Prime Minister Wisanu Krua-ngarm (วิษณุ เครืองาม) and the cabinet’s secretary-general Bawornsak U-wanno (บวรศักดิ์ อุวรรณโณ) went to discuss with the Election Commission (EC) on the possibility of postponing the election date. Mr. Wisanu revealed after the meeting that it is possible that the EC will postpone the election date, as it will provide convenience for political parties which need more time to prepare for the election. He added that the postponement will also aid the work of the EC, adding that legal provisions provide room for such delay, by issuing a decree canceling an earlier decree which set April 2nd as an election date.

Mr. Wisanu said that the election date should be changed as academics have voiced concerns about the political situation. However, he said that the government does not have power to ask for opinions from other political parties, and asked the EC to do so.

Meanwhile, EC chairman, General Wassana Permlab (วาสนา เพิ่มลาภ) said that he cannot say whether the election date will be postponed, as the EC members need to consult over the matter first. He said that the EC will see whether political parties need to be invited for a discussion over the matter.

From the previous post:

"Bangkok senator Chirmsak Pinthong (เจิมศักดิ์ ปิ่นทอง) said that invoking Section 7 is not in any way bypassing the constitution since the constitution itself has come to a dead end."

Personally, I can't see that a "dead end" has been reached...seems to me that things are rolling right along towards an election which has been called following the constitutional requirements perfectly...no dead end here except maybe for the big three parties who have decided that they don't want to be part of the next parliament.

Thats exactly the way I see it as well.

Today the Electoral Commission said that they did not think there was any need to extend the election to a later date and the election should go as scheduled.

PM invites all Thais who want to support the government to send postcards expressing their opinion to Government House.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra invites all Thais who want to support the government to send postcards expressing their opinions to PO.Box 88 at the Government House.

At around 9PM, Prime Minister Thaksin showed a billboard stating the address of Government House. He invited the people to express their love for democracy and peace, so that violent clashes will not occur. He said that all postcards will be assembled in front of the Thai Khu Fah (ไทยคู่ฟ้า) building to demonstrate that most people want peace and democracy in the nation, adding that he wants the people to send their opinions as quickly as possible or before March 5. He said that he resorted to the use of postcards because he does not want the people to travel to Bangkok, as they can cause traffic problems, adding that the method is not aimed at surveying the Government’s popularity. He said that the postcards will provide a channel for Government supporters to express their opinions.

As for the rally planned for March 3rd, the Prime Minister said that he will speak out on all issues that have been accused by the opposition. He expressed his belief that the rally will not break election law. As for the opposition’s boycott of the election, the Prime Minister said that he does not know what else he can do, as the government has done its best to solve the situation.

Thaksin calls for letters of support

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra launched a new campaign today to mobilise public support, calling on people who wanted to see peace and democracy to send letters and postcards to PO Box 888, to be put displayed in front of Government House.

Thaksin announced his latest campaign this morning by holding up a big signboard before reporters at Government House showing the postal address where public expressions of support could be mailed.

“If you love peace and democracy, you should come out and say it by sending postcards to this PO Box,” Thaksin said, adding that all the letters and postcards will be piled up in front of Government House.

The embattled caretaker prime minister’s latest campaign represents part of his last-ditch effort to push ahead with the snap election despite the opposition alliance’s boycott and mounting calls for him to resign to get the country out of the current political impasse.

The decision to push ahead with the election came after a tense meeting at Thai Rak Thai party headquarters last night. Among other things, the meeting decided that the party should hold a major public rally at Sanam Luang on Friday during which Thaksin would try to fend off allegations against him.

Source: ThaiDay - 1 Mar 2006

Supreme Commander says it's 'decision time'

Dissolution of the Lower House is not a solution to the current problems facing the country and it is now time for the prime minister to make a decision to end the political crisis, Supreme Commander Gen Ruangroj Mahasaranont was quoted as telling Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra during a lunch meeting at Government House yesterday.

A source said Gen Ruangroj's remarks represented his analysis of the current political situation. Gen Ruangroj was accompanied by army chief Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin, navy chief Adm Sathiraphan Keyanont, air force chief ACM Chalit Phukphasuk and national police chief Pol Gen Kowit Wattana. Nobody suggested Mr Thaksin resign, the source said.

Gen Sonthi suggested the only way the situation could improve is if the two sides in conflict stepped back. However, the source said Mr Thaksin seemed determined to persist with the polls on April 2.

The source said Mr Thaksin called the swift and unexpected meeting with top brass as he was uncertain as to the stances held by Gen Sonthi, Adm Sathiraphan, ACM Chalit and Pol Gen Kowit, who were all students of Class 6 of the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School.

The sense of uncertainty came about following a personal meeting between Gen Sonthi and Gen Pallop Pinmanee, deputy director of the Internal Security Operations Command and a classmate of Maj-Gen Chamlong Srimuang, a leader of the anti-Thaksin protest, in Class 7 of the Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy. It was rumoured that Gen Pallop had asked Gen Sonthi to side with the anti-Thaksin movement.

Gen Sonthi, however, said afterwards that Mr Thaksin did not mention the planned March 5 rally but expressed concern over soldiers' welfare. ''The prime minister did not ask about coup rumours. He probably knows we are career soldiers,'' he said. ''I can assure you that soldiers will not interfere in politics or stage a coup. I want to make it clear that our stance is neutral,'' said Gen Sonthi, who had been rumoured to have been asked to lead a coup to bring down Mr Thaksin. He said it was normal for those in conflict to spread rumours to confuse and damage one another, including the rumours regarding a coup.

''I don't see why I would have to do so. I don't believe anyone would dare do it. I can assure you that we soldiers are disciplined,'' Gen Sonthi said.

Gen Sonthi also ruled out the possibility that officers who were classmates of Mr Thaksin in Class 10 of the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School would come to the aid of the prime minister.

Another source, who was a member of the pre-cadet school's Class 10, said judging from conversations with his former fellow classmates the officers were split into three distinctive groups. However, he declined to identify them.

The source said that officers in the first group insisted on standing by the prime minister not only because they were his friends but also because they had received good support from the prime minister throughout his five years in office.

Those in the second group were undecided. But if Mr Thaksin was to blame for the country's problems, they would stand by the people. The third group could be described as believing that: ''In the end, we must perform the duties of soldiers under His Majesty the King.''

Gen Sonthi admitted he invited some officers from Class 10 who commanded armed force units for talks on Monday night. He played down speculation that Class 10 officers were preparing to come to Mr Thaksin's aid, including commanders of the 1st Army Division and 2nd Cavalry Division. He said that those who chose to do so stood to be ''losers''.

Another source from Class 10 said Lt-Gen Pornchai Kranlert, assistant army chief and a Class 10 leader, and other officers commanding army units in Bangkok, set up a task force headquarters to monitor the situation on Sunday night at the Anti-Aircraft Artillery Division's officers' club at Kiak Kai intersection, under the jurisdiction of Maj-Gen Ruangsak Thongdee, the division commander. Gen Sonthi heard about it and became suspicious, so he told AAA Division soldiers to withdraw from army headquarters on Monday, replacing them with a company of Special Warfare Command soldiers.

- BP

The army to dispatch military officials to help with elections.

The second region army commander Lieutenant-general Sujet Wattanasuk (สุเจตน์ วัฒนสุข) said the army is ready to dispatch military forces to participate in safety operation and vote counting in request from provincial election commissions.

Lieutenant-general Sujet said that the second region army is ready to support the election on April 2nd, adding that in the past, soldiers have helped with vote counting and provide safety at polling booths. He said that if the army is requested by provincial election commissions in areas under its responsibility, the second region army will provide officials to support the election, but so far he said that there have been no requests yet.

The second region army said that soldiers have been told to stay neutral when there is an election, adding that they will be punished if found siding with any parties.

Thaksin has lunch with top brass

Amid rumours about possible military coup, acting Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra today had a working lunch with the top brass at Government House.

Seen enjoying their meals were Supreme Commander General Ruengroj Mahasaranont, Army chief General Sonthi Boonyaratklin, Navy chief Admiral Satirapan Keyanont, Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal Chalit Pukbhasuk and Police chief General Kowit Watana.

Also accompanied Thaksin at the lunch table were his deputy Chidchai Vanasatidya and Defence Minister Thamarak Isarangura.

“I come to eat lunch,” Sonthi said, sidestepping a direct question on possible military takeover.

He dismissed speculation about an unusual military movement on Monday night, saying soldiers remained their barracks.

He said the military would not get involved in politics, ruling out the possible stray of key commanders from Military Preparatory Class 10 who were classmates of Thaksin.

Following lunch, Ruengroj said Thaksin wanted to check on the welfare of military and police officers assigned for peace-keeping duty.

He expressed confidence that the planned anti-Thaksin rally on March 5 would not spiral out of control.

He also denied that soldiers from the special warfare units had been deployed in Bangkok.

Source: The Nation - 1 March 2006

I think one possible dead end’s is if the TRT party (and all the other minor parties that do participate in the election) are unable to fill sufficient seats in the April election.

It has been very interesting watching this unfold. I can see the points that both sides are making. I am not a Thaksin supporter – while I think he did more good than bad for Thailand in his first term. I think he has lost touch with what is best for Thailand and the Thai people, and may not be the best thing for Thailand at present.

One thing that does surprise me is that my wife and her family have significantly changed in their views towards Thaksin. Just prior to the last elections they were 100% behind him, and now they are anything but Thaksin supporters – and they are from Issan.

I am a supporter of Democracy and the rule of law. Thailand is a fledgling Democracy, and however this finally ends I only hope that Democracy in Thailand is not the ultimate victim. I think both sides have done damage to the idea of Democracy in Thailand, and I hope that which every group comes out on top works towards repairing that damage.

I would like to see the election date pushed back to allow 90 days for members of the TRT to leave the party if they would like (and still participate in the election). I am not sure if any or how many of the TRT would depart. But I think that something along these lines (in combination with agreement from all parties to participate in the new elections) would be best for Democracy to play a role in the future of Thailand – with or without Thaksin.

Mr. Pinit denied report that TRT party has granted money to its members to run the election

Wang Paya Nark(วังพญานาค) faction leader Pinij Jarusombat(พินิจ จารุสมบัติ) dismissed reports claiming that Thai Rak Thai party has offered up to 3 million baht to all its MPs to run for the general election. Mr Pinij said that the TRT leader will give a clearer explanation to the people to avoid misunderstandings.

Mr. Pinit insisted that TRT party has no such policies to give money to its member. He said a speech will be delivered by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on the 3rd of March at Sanam Luang(สนามหลวง).

He disclosed the premier will inform all the facts to people and said that PM Thaksin has always followed the rules and regulations.

As for tomorrow (02/03/06) which is the first day for the registration of part member list, Mr. Pinit confirmed that TRT party will propose 100 names for 400 zones. He insisted there are no conflicts between the members.

He denied giving comments over the decision of the opposition not to field its members for the upcoming general election.

TRT core figures indicated that the ongoing political conflicts are due to misunderstandings

Mr. Phumtham Vechayachai (ภูมิธรรม เวชยชัย), the Deputy Secretary of the Thai Rak Thai Party, spoke about the measures to solve the current political situation.

At the Thai Rak Thai Party head office today, Mr. Phumtham said the executives of the party are trying to find the best solution under the democratic rules and regulations. He views that the current political conflicts have occurred because of certain misunderstandings between different parties.

The Thai Rak Thai Party Committee, Mr. Sutham Saengprathum (สุธรรม แสงประทุม), admitted that he has contacted his old friends from the Democrat Party. He said the majority of them would like Democrat Party Leader Abhisit Vejjajiva to change his decision and field the party members for the upcoming general election.

Turmoil leads to drop in public's confidence

It comes as no surprise that the political confidence index dropped to an 11-month low in February, following the dissolution of Parliament.

Sukhum Chalueysap, chief statistician at Rajabhat Suan Dusit University, said Wednesday afternoon that the poll – commonly referred to as the Suan Dusit Poll – surveyed a random sample of 8,296 people from February 20-28, and found the index had dropped 3.58 percent compared to January to 94.05 points. An index below the neutral level of 100 points indicates the public has a negative short-term outlook on Thailand’s political situation.

It is the lowest the index has been since the Thai Rak Thai party won elections last year, according to Sukhum.

Pollsters discovered that the dissolution of the House, anti-Thaksin demonstrations and party politicking significantly undermined confidence.

“The index clearly shows the confidence in politics has plunged into crisis following the dissolution. Differences of opinion between political groups has forced the index lower on the unity of people in the country to an unprecedented low,” Sukhum said in statements to the press.

Source: ThaiDay 1 March 2006 15:41

PM affirms that he will not resign from his post

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has affirmed that he will not resign from his post, while stating that he will continue his duty until the new government has been designated. He has also requested people to use their discretion in obtaining certain news reports as a number of them are just rumors.

The premier disclosed that a rumor on his resignation has spread in the Stock Exchange of Thailand. (See also this thread)

The Prime Minister has once again confirmed that his resignation will not happen. Although Dr. Thaksin is currently the acting Prime Minister as the parliament has already been dissolved, he has insisted that he will continue his work. He said he will perform his duty under the framework of democracy. He has also denied the rumor claiming that he has asked for a meeting with the Chairman of the Privy Council and Statesman, General Prem Tinsulanon (เปรม ติณสูลานนท์).

Meanwhile, the Thai Rak Thai Party Committee, Mr. Sutham Saengprathum (สุธรรม แสงประทุม), has demanded all political parties to implement any action in line with the democratic regime.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has affirmed that he will not resign from his post, while stating that he will continue his duty until the new government has been designated.

At this point, I don't really see what his resignation would accomplish. There still needs to be an election since Parliament has been dissolved. TRT wins the election, Mr. Big is then once again nominated for the Prime Minister position.

It is not only possible, but absolutely essential for the safety and peace of the kingdom that this situation is resolved urgently.

This will end peacefully and with Thaksin the victor.

Opposition has to convince its support base, about 10% of the population consisting mostly of middle-class people, to topple a legally democratically elected Thaksin government which has the support of his military buddies and 90% of the population including the poor who have everything to lose. Not likely to happen.

This will end peacefully.

Edited by gurkle

The views of all Thais should be taken into account and there is a clear way to do this - in an election.

Let us know when the first honest election comes. Where it's truly the politically educated masses that knowingly chooses between their options in the booth.

PM invites all Thais who want to support the government to send postcards expressing their opinion to Government House.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra invites all Thais who want to support the government to send postcards expressing their opinions to PO.Box 88 at the Government House.

He said that the postcards will provide a channel for Government supporters to express their opinions.

This evening's TV3-News reports 2 sales, of 20,000 & 30,000 postcards, at a post-office in Chiang Mai.

I guess some Government supporter, in this largely Thaksin-supporting area, must have an awful lot of opinion to express ?

Uninformed people might draw the mistaken impression that the feedback is being rigged. Surely not. :o

At least the post-office will make money on the stamps ! :D

This evening's TV3-News reports 2 sales, of 20,000 & 30,000 postcards, at a post-office in Chiang Mai.

I guess some Government supporter, in this largely Thaksin-supporting area, must have an awful lot of opinion to express ?

Uninformed people might draw the mistaken impression that the feedback is being rigged. Surely not. :o

At least the post-office will make money on the stamps ! :D

Perhaps some entrepeneur is making an artificial shortage of post cards at the post office and is busily selling them to people who feel a need to support the gov't.....if you sell them for 1 baht more than you paid for them and you sell 10,000 per day then that's a pretty good little money maker......I doubt it....though it is possible.

Edited by chownah

I was thinking of an interesting scenario - what if Thaksin resigned and then went campaigning again and was re-elected? :o

That's exactly what I would do if I were him now. It would totally catch the opposition (both parliamentary and the street mob) off guard. Of course, his ego may be too big to countenance such a move.

:o

Wasn't this topic titled : " Opposition Dumps Thaksin's Election Plans"?

In what I've quoted above, not a single word relates to this topic...

Ahhh that's because you did not know that the CIA has obtained a secret report that they can't show you but that you have to believe and which say that TS was linked to Al Qaeda and Saddam through common shares in a laundrette on Kao San Road !!!

:D

Edited by Roger_JG

If Taksin is elected by the people, then as they said in the USA when Jr. was elected, "deal with it". The very vocal minority should just SHUT UP. Sore losers are just that-losers.

'elected' ? Errrrrr...yes. Florida....Florida....Florida.

The guy did NOT win the election fairly.....period.

Jem

If Taksin is elected by the people, then as they said in the USA when Jr. was elected, "deal with it". The very vocal minority should just SHUT UP. Sore losers are just that-losers.

'elected' ? Errrrrr...yes. Florida....Florida....Florida.

The guy did NOT win the election fairly.....period.

Jem

Actually he did, and has no bearing here!! :o