Arrested For Singing The Wrong Songs At North Pattaya Country Music Concert

Rimmer

Arrested for singing the wrong songs at North Pattaya Country Music Concert

singer-1.jpg

PATTAYA:--A Popular Thai Country Singer, Mai Tai Jaidawan, was arrested by Police at a music concert in the early hours of Friday after music company officials reported to Police that he was singing songs he was not authorized to perform in public.

The case began when officials from seven separate music licensing companies went to Pattaya Police newsjsStation to report copyright violations by the popular singer who was in the process of performing at a concert held at the northern end of Pattaya Third Road which was attended by thousands of people.

Police examined paperwork and deemed the complaint to be a valid one and accompanied the copyright officials to the site of the concert where the man was performing. To avoid any public order problems it was decided to allow the singer to finish his set, at which point he was arrested and taken to Pattaya Police Station.

pattaya-one.jpg

-- Pattaya One 2013-02-01

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certifiably NUTS! Of course, in the USA famous artists sing the songs of others all of the time (form of admiration). Dylan does it, Clapton does it, Mayer does it.....on and on. Copyright laws only enter into the equation w/ regard to recordings (as far as I know).

Not at all. If you perform a song or music or piece of theatre or any other copyrighted creation in public whether for reward or not you still have to have the permission of the copyright owner, and there may be a fee payable depending on the owner. And you also have to have similar permission to record the creation, which again may be subject to payment depending on the owner.

If Dylan or anyone else sings someone else's songs in public, or records them, then he has to have permission for each occurrence and may have to pay.

• Like 2

Certifiably NUTS! Of course, in the USA famous artists sing the songs of others all of the time (form of admiration). Dylan does it, Clapton does it, Mayer does it.....on and on. Copyright laws only enter into the equation w/ regard to recordings (as far as I know).

Not at all. If you perform a song or music or piece of theatre or any other copyrighted creation in public whether for reward or not you still have to have the permission of the copyright owner, and there may be a fee payable depending on the owner. And you also have to have similar permission to record the creation, which again may be subject to payment depending on the owner.

If Dylan or anyone else sings someone else's songs in public, or records them, then he has to have permission for each occurrence and may have to pay.

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Tell that to all the musicians in central park:lol:

Dylan would be sued, not arrested

Copyright laws only enter into the equation w/ regard to recordings (as far as I know).

Not just recordings, but performances in public of copyrighted works require permission via license or other mechanisms. And before comments that the below is US law and nothing to do with Thailand, Thailand is a signatory of the Universal Copyright Convention (Geneva).

"Copyright restrictions also apply to the public performances of copyrighted works. A public performance is formally defined in copyright law as the reciting, rendering, playing, dancing, or acting of a creative work in a place or location that is open to the public, or in any place in which an audience of a substantial number of people beyond one’s immediate friends and family can see or hear the performed work, whether money is charged or not."

"Only the copyright owner is allowed to make a public performance of their work. If you want to read a book out loud in such a way that a public audience can hear it, you need the permission of the book’s copyright owner. If you read a copyrighted poem to a public audience, you need the permission of the copyright owner of the poem. If you want to show a motion picture to a public audience, you need the permission of the movie production entity that owns the copyright, whether an admissions fee is charged or not. If your theatre group wants to perform Death of a Salesman, they need the permission of the Arthur Miller estate to do so and probably must pay a royalty fee. If your rock group wants to perform the Eagles song Hotel California at one of their concerts, they need the song publisher’s permission to do so. When a disk jockey plays a music recording on the radio, the station must pay a fee to the owner of the song. Even if you play recorded music in such a way that a public audience can hear it, you need permission to do so and must pay for the privilege. "

References here

To show how remarkable these copyright laws can be, did you know that 'Happy Birthday' is copyrighted and if a bunch of families and friends start singing it in a restaurant (public audience in affect) you can be sued? biggrin.png

Same link as above.

Then there's the Girl Scouts campfire singing issues. tongue.png

• Like 1

Its all about money.. in the 60s and since so many claims to music copyright have been unfair. ( not saying this one was). example..the animals recorded House of the rising sun. When it went to release the recording co needed to know who wrote it, but it was so old that it was simply a folk song. not good enough for the company.. the forms had to be filled in..Alan Price is said to have put his hand up and said words along the lines of " put it in my name we can sort it out later'. I am told that Price drew all the composer royalties and is said to have been asked to leave band. He STILL draws from it and it has made him more money than anything.. meanwhile many of the old band were left later on the breadline.

Edited by TommyDee

do you have the notion of unwarranted arrests and compensation for that if the arrest later proofs to have been unwarranted ?

it seems to be a matter that should be resolved by the civil court system, how can they deem it was a copyright infringement to the point where an arrest is warranted... it sounds fishy ! I agree, there must be more to the story...

Bob Dylan is quite dead.

• Like 1

ASCAP and BMI - Artist associations that simply require very modest royalties be paid for performing other peoples songs and music. It has worked very well for many years... The Thai government should follow suit...

• Like 1

From a legal perspective, you can play any song at any time from any artist as long as you fill out and hand in the set list of the songs you are going to sing, to a company responsible for collecting royalties, the concert promoter usually have to pay these fees to an organization such as , APRA Australia or GEMA Germany, i don't know who that would be in Thailand, a publisher or copyright owner has the right to stop you playing any of their catalog,should they chose to do so! that's a basic explanation...

Edited by yummypizza

A ******* in a bar whilst having a beer is OK but singing '' Oh Danny Boy'' could get you in the slammer. coffee1.gif

I'm fairly sure 'Danny Boy' is too old for copyright so you should be OK with that. I think the police may have arrested this guy for singing country and western, which should be an arrestable offence in every country. Blues Brothers quote...."We have both kinds here. Country....and Western!"

There's also a big upside to this story which no one has spotted yet. If singing copyrighted music in public is an offence then......very soon the police will sieze and destroy every karaoke machine in Thailand. Excellent !

Now THAT would be fantastic news!!!

Edited by OmegaRacer
  • Like 1

Bob Dylan is quite dead.

Huh:(

When did he die? This is news to me.....

Whos that guy who will be celebrating his 72nd b-day in may?

Do some research first, genius.....

I played in a professional country band for years, played and sang songs by any singer you care to name, please remember I said singer, not Michael Jackson or Elton John, and never paid any royalties as their called, although maybe the people who paid out wages did.

A ******* in a bar whilst having a beer is OK but singing '' Oh Danny Boy'' could get you in the slammer. coffee1.gif

I'm fairly sure 'Danny Boy' is too old for copyright so you should be OK with that. I think the police may have arrested this guy for singing country and western, which should be an arrestable offence in every country. Blues Brothers quote...."We have both kinds here. Country....and Western!"

There's also a big upside to this story which no one has spotted yet. If singing copyrighted music in public is an offence then......very soon the police will sieze and destroy every karaoke machine in Thailand. Excellent !

What's wrong with playing and singing Country and Western songs? I have made a good living from it for years. I do agree with your'e last sentence though.
  • Like 1

This is all about cash, and nothing more. The record company officials appear to be upset that he was not in the mood to promote his latest album. Considering the number of real crimes being committed in Pattaya, it is a shame the toy police decided to enforce this commercial hooliganism. The record company officials are made to look like tiny minded cowards, which they most certainly are. The police could not have a worse image.

do you have the notion of unwarranted arrests and compensation for that if the arrest later proofs to have been unwarranted ?

it seems to be a matter that should be resolved by the civil court system, how can they deem it was a copyright infringement to the point where an arrest is warranted... it sounds fishy ! I agree, there must be more to the story...

There is always more to the story when the Thai Police appear to be upholding the law.