British Woman Married To Thai Man- But Have Child

Hi all...I've seen quite a few threads on British women marrying Thai men and then trying to figure out what visas to get. Just so you know I have read most of the threads so hopefully you guys won't need to repeat things you have already said ...

My husband and I are both moving to Bangkok and the baby will be around 6 months old when we move. We got married in the UK and have our marriage certificate. Our baby was born in the UK and has a British passport. We want both me and the child the remain British citizens and not apply for joint nationality yet (as the school we want to get our child into prioritises British nationals and if the child has joint nationality they treat the child as Thai and therefore have to go on a long waiting list and may not get in....as many of our Thai friend's children all didn't get in. Also if the child has joint nationality they will have to take the Thai programme at the school and we would rather they don't have to as other British children don't and can just learn Thai as a minor subject. So we are trying our hardest to keep the child just British nationality until it gets into school).

So my questions are:

I am getting a non-immigrant O visa for myself and my baby to get into Thailand, on the basis I am married to a Thai man. But can the baby get a non-immigrant O visa?

I don't want to have to leave the country every 90 days as I will have to do with the O visa. So once we get to Bangkok I will apply for a marriage visa. Will this affect my nationality? and more importantly- what about my baby? what should I apply for for the baby? (without having to leave the country every 90 days or changing to joint nationality which we don't want to do yet until the child gets into school) if i get the marriage visa, will this automatically allow the child to stay? or will the child have to remain on the O visa and I will have to still go out of the country every 90 days with a baby!?

Any info would help, thanks in advance!!

Edited by susieu

non o is a marriage visa, you then get extensions based on being married to a thai. you do not need to leave the country. your child doesn't need a visa & will not be liable for any overstay until 15 years old.

• Like 1

I might be wrong and maybe someone can answer it. I always assumed that if one the parents is Thai citizen, then the child

was recognized as being a Thai citizen here in Thailand.

Maybe, if you bring the child here using a British passport and correct visa, your child might be considered as a foreigner.

I would have thought that the baby can get a Non Imm O Visa. Have a chat with The Royal Thai Consulate Hull They are quite helpful.

Once in Thailand you can get 12 month extensions based on having a Thai Husband.

For a foreign Woman this is easy to do and you do not need to show cash in the bank, unlike foreign Men.

As said your Child is Thai but will be treated as foreign if using a UK Passport.

Children are not charged overstay if 14 or under.

The baby will qualify for 12 month extensions by having a Thai Father.

Or once starting school for the reason of studying in a school in Thailand.

Child is Thai by birth and expect that will be clear to school when birth certificate is presented with fathers name on it regardless of what you may or may not do (do not expect data bases to shrink in coming years). Living in Thailand would expect it to be very beneficial in the long run to learn Thai as major program myself (but admit not in that situation) but perhaps worth another look?

• Like 2

"So we are trying our hardest to keep the child just British nationality until it gets into school)."

OP, if nothing else, you should get a Thai birth certificate from the Thai Embassy where your child was born. You'll need that when you do decide to get their Thai passport.

Terry

I'm not sure what the OP is talking about with regards to schools. The ones we've spoken to (eg Pattana) are happy to accept dual national children under their foreign passports so long as one parent is a non Thai citizen.

The OP should email the schools to check out their exact policies.

Much as you may think this is stupid at the moment, your child's fluency in written Thai Language will at some time in the future, be of immense importance professionally. I know of literally dozens of senior of executives who fight with written Thai language everyday because they studied high school abroad! The one of largest Thai Newspapers in Thailand has a CEO that can't read Thai and has to rely on trusted assistants to read documents.

And yes as your child has a Thai family name, it is going to be difficult to hide it from any school administrators.

The convenience factor for your child being Thai is a huge plus.

Also don't expect to get Thai nationality for yourself as easily as in the UK as it is a bit more complex than that!

Good luck

non o is a marriage visa, you then get extensions based on being married to a thai. you do not need to leave the country. your child doesn't need a visa & will not be liable for any overstay until 15 years old.

Wow thanks for that, I was emailed by the Thai consulate here in the UK that on a non-immigrant O visa I had to leave the country every 90 days and there was no way to get out of that. But that I should apply for the marriage visa when I landed in BKK, maybe they meant apply for an extension....I'm just going to assume that's what they meant! :)

I would have thought that the baby can get a Non Imm O Visa. Have a chat with The Royal Thai Consulate Hull They are quite helpful.

Once in Thailand you can get 12 month extensions based on having a Thai Husband.

For a foreign Woman this is easy to do and you do not need to show cash in the bank, unlike foreign Men.

As said your Child is Thai but will be treated as foreign if using a UK Passport.

Children are not charged overstay if 14 or under.

The baby will qualify for 12 month extensions by having a Thai Father.

Or once starting school for the reason of studying in a school in Thailand.

Thanks, yes I got the original info from the consulate in Hull, they were helpful. They said on the non-immigrant O visa we had to leave every 90 days, and there was no way around having to leave....and that I should apply for a marriage visa (i'm guessing they meant extension of stay as married to Thai) but that they couldn't advise me about the marriage visa as I had to apply in Bangkok and they don't deal with that in the UK....

I wish the immigration website in Bangkok had a better website...then maybe I could get more info. But thanks for your answers as it has helped a lot as I didn't know about children.

Child is Thai by birth and expect that will be clear to school when birth certificate is presented with fathers name on it regardless of what you may or may not do (do not expect data bases to shrink in coming years). Living in Thailand would expect it to be very beneficial in the long run to learn Thai as major program myself (but admit not in that situation) but perhaps worth another look?

I agree.... but when I emailed the school they said birth or surname didn't matter, they go by language ability (children who can't speak Thai will be prioritized) and passport/ official nationality. I fully agree living in Thailand children should learn Thai and if it wasn't for the school policy I would be more pro on talking to the child in Thai from birth (as I can speak Thai)...but it's actually my husband who is adamant about English as the 1st language....as we may move back to the UK and then he would want his child to not be at a disadvantage (mu husband studies in USA/New Zealand since he was 11 and so is very aware of how hard it is for Thai children to pick up good English). Also, my husband's family is actually Chinese and his parents actually want our child to go to a Chinese school in Thailand and only learn Chinese and English at school and just learn basic Thai outside of school!! haha it's all very complicated!!

"So we are trying our hardest to keep the child just British nationality until it gets into school)."

OP, if nothing else, you should get a Thai birth certificate from the Thai Embassy where your child was born. You'll need that when you do decide to get their Thai passport.

Terry

Thanks Terry, this didn't even cross my mind yet! (the baby isn't due until July... so hence I am only just starting to think about these things!) :)

I'm not sure what the OP is talking about with regards to schools. The ones we've spoken to (eg Pattana) are happy to accept dual national children under their foreign passports so long as one parent is a non Thai citizen.

The OP should email the schools to check out their exact policies.

Hello, Thanks for this. My husband did email the school and that's where I got the info from. I guess I am just worried as my family/friends with mixed children, but with dual nationality got told their children has to be put on the waiting list because they could speak Thai and were dual nationality and they ultimately got rejected from the school and not prioritized as English speaking only foreign children would.

I guess I shouldn't listen to other people's stories! and I'm sure everything will be fine smile.png My husband is extra worried as his parents tried getting him into the school and his application was also was declined as the quota for Thai nationals was full....although this was many years ago now!

Edited by susieu

Much as you may think this is stupid at the moment, your child's fluency in written Thai Language will at some time in the future, be of immense importance professionally. I know of literally dozens of senior of executives who fight with written Thai language everyday because they studied high school abroad! The one of largest Thai Newspapers in Thailand has a CEO that can't read Thai and has to rely on trusted assistants to read documents.

And yes as your child has a Thai family name, it is going to be difficult to hide it from any school administrators.

The convenience factor for your child being Thai is a huge plus.

Also don't expect to get Thai nationality for yourself as easily as in the UK as it is a bit more complex than that!

Good luck

Agreed... I fully intent to teach them Thai. As my husband and his sister both can't write Thai and I know how difficult it is for them.

Terry

Thanks Terry, this didn't even cross my mind yet! (the baby isn't due until July... so hence I am only just starting to think about these things!) smile.png

Our baby was born in the UK and has a British passport.

Terry

Thanks Terry, this didn't even cross my mind yet! (the baby isn't due until July... so hence I am only just starting to think about these things!) smile.png

Our baby was born in the UK and has a British passport.

LOL true, was trying to keep it simple at first by saying that and not giving too much info out, but then after replying just thought I'd go into explanation....

will try to edit it if i can...as its probably confusing for readers, sorry!

Edited by susieu

From my own experience, I would suggest that you get the child a Thai birth certificate and passport in the UK as soon as possible. The child can enter Thailand on UK passport if that is desired and it will be under Thai Immigration regulations. I failed to do do this early in my children's life and it complicated establishing their right to Thai citizenship when we moved back to Thailand (also more costly.)

• Like 1

Wow thanks for that, I was emailed by the Thai consulate here in the UK that on a non-immigrant O visa I had to leave the country every 90 days and there was no way to get out of that. But that I should apply for the marriage visa when I landed in BKK, maybe they meant apply for an extension....I'm just going to assume that's what they meant! smile.png

You should just get a single entry non-o visa and then extend that entry at immigration. They are trying sell you multiple entry visa which you do not need.

If your child does not enter Thailand as a Thai then you should also get a non immigrant O visa for them also and then an extension of stay.

Although children are not charged for overstay I would never advise making their stay on that basis. Not having a proper visa on entry and then an extension of stay can lead to other problems (schools and etc.).

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

From my own experience, I would suggest that you get the child a Thai birth certificate and passport in the UK as soon as possible. The child can enter Thailand on UK passport if that is desired and it will be under Thai Immigration regulations. I failed to do do this early in my children's life and it complicated establishing their right to Thai citizenship when we moved back to Thailand (also more costly.)

hi,my daughter was born in uk,she got a british passport,and thai passport in uk. when we fly from uk she uses uk passport,and use thai passport to come into thailand.it is the best thing to do.if then when you go fora school that says the thai quota is full,use the uk passport,but get that thai passport.