Moving To Bangkok

Silleck

How easy will it be for me to find a job?

Where is the best place to rent a short term apartment for when I arrive?

Are there any get togethers you all do?

I've been living in Moscow, and a few other countries, what should I except from Bangkok?

1. If you are young and look nice and presentable it will be easy to get a job teaching. If you have qualifications then even easier.

2. Try to rent a room near the BTS (skytrain) or MRT (underground subway). It will be easier for you to get around the city that way as a newbie. Once you've lived here long enough to figure out the bus, motorcycle, boat system then you can venture out in search of cheaper places.

3. Haha, i've never seen large groups of foreigners hanging out together unless they've actually come here together on vacation. If you want the company of other foreigners go to Khao Sarn Road or something, that is if you don't mind hanging out with backpackers/university students on holiday.

4. Expect the unexpected. Leave all preconceived notions behind on how things should be done and just go with the flow.

Good luck and welcome to the City of Angels (or devils, depending on how you look at it).

Is there a large Russian community in Bangkok?

Anyone know the average price to rent a scooter per month?

1. Not really. If you want to hang out with fellow Russians then your best bet would be to move to either Pattaya or Phuket. There's a ton of them there.

2. About 2,000 to 3,500 baht a month, depending on if you want a manual or automatic and the brand/age of the motorbike. But word of advice, driving a scooter in Bangkok is dangerous, especially for people who aren't used to the way Thai people drive. Plus you would need a motorcycle license and insurance if you wanted to "legally" drive on the road, and if you get caught in an accident without those two things then be prepared to cough up a substantial amount of money. The public transportation system in Bangkok is good enough and really goes everywhere you would need to go. If you move down to Pattaya or Phuket then a motorcycle rental might be a better option as the public transport is not so developed there, plus some of them rip off foreigners. Two words of advice, never get into a taxi who refuses to turn the meter on, and if you are going to take a motorcycle taxi or tuk-tuk negotiate the price before you accept the ride (actually you could avoid tuk-tuks altogether, they always charge foreigners more).

Edited by ZXM

How easy will it be for me to find a job?

Where is the best place to rent a short term apartment for when I arrive?

Are there any get togethers you all do?

I've been living in Moscow, and a few other countries, what should I except from Bangkok?

1. If you are young and look nice and presentable it will be easy to get a job teaching. If you have qualifications then even easier.

2. Try to rent a room near the BTS (skytrain) or MRT (underground subway). It will be easier for you to get around the city that way as a newbie. Once you've lived here long enough to figure out the bus, motorcycle, boat system then you can venture out in search of cheaper places.

3. Haha, i've never seen large groups of foreigners hanging out together unless they've actually come here together on vacation. If you want the company of other foreigners go to Khao Sarn Road or something, that is if you don't mind hanging out with backpackers/university students on holiday.

4. Expect the unexpected. Leave all preconceived notions behind on how things should be done and just go with the flow.

Good luck and welcome to the City of Angels (or devils, depending on how you look at it).

Is there a large Russian community in Bangkok?

Anyone know the average price to rent a scooter per month?

1. Not really. If you want to hang out with fellow Russians then your best bet would be to move to either Pattaya or Phuket. There's a ton of them there.

2. About 2,000 to 3,500 baht a month, depending on if you want a manual or automatic and the brand/age of the motorbike. But word of advice, driving a scooter in Bangkok is dangerous, especially for people who aren't used to the way Thai people drive. Plus you would need a motorcycle license and insurance if you wanted to "legally" drive on the road, and if you get caught in an accident without those two things then be prepared to cough up a substantial amount of money. The public transportation system in Bangkok is good enough and really goes everywhere you would need to go. If you move down to Pattaya or Phuket then a motorcycle rental might be a better option as the public transport is not so developed there, plus some of them rip off foreigners. Two words of advice, never get into a taxi who refuses to turn the meter on, and if you are going to take a motorcycle taxi or tuk-tuk negotiate the price before you accept the ride (actually you could avoid tuk-tuks altogether, they always charge foreigners more).

Thanks a lot for your help!

I really want a scooter, for doing trips, like to Pattaya, and grocery shopping, not to cruise around town. It's like a back up mode of transportation.

I was thinking of living in Pattaya, I lived in Phuket for a few months loved it. but I need a big city, and with Pattaya being only a hour or so away. I believe I could get away with weekend trips. What are the job possibilities in Pattaya?

Thanks a lot for your help!

I really want a scooter, for doing trips, like to Pattaya, and grocery shopping, not to cruise around town. It's like a back up mode of transportation.

I was thinking of living in Pattaya, I lived in Phuket for a few months loved it. but I need a big city, and with Pattaya being only a hour or so away. I believe I could get away with weekend trips. What are the job possibilities in Pattaya?

Well driving a motorbike in Phuket is not the same as driving a motorbike in Bangkok. But when you get here i'm sure you will figure that out and if you still feel brave/confident enough then have at it. One last thing to mention though, most insurance policies become null and void if you are driving without a license (illegally). If you really want to drive one in Bangkok, I suggest you do it legally, which means getting your motorcycle license (easy, you can do it on a tourist visa no problem, unless you already have a motorcycle license in your home country then you don't have to worry about getting one here) and getting the proper insurance to cover for accidents/medical/3rd party liability/death/dismemberment/etc.

Jobs in Pattaya? Don't really know, ask over in the Pattaya forum and you might get some good (or bad) ideas. tongue.png

Edited by ZXM

I grew up in Taiwan, where scooters are everywhere and have been driving them since a little kid. However, I would not recommend them for long distance driving. The small wheels and small wheelbase can make them pretty uncomfortable on uneven roads, etc. And, depending upon the size of the motor, they can be kind of slow for highway driving.

OK, Made it to Bangkok, within 2 days I got my apartment, and a job already. I'm going to rent a scooter today 3,000 baht and a 2,000 baht deposit. I live at BTS Bearing, I was told it's far but after living in Moscow, and using it's metro system, Bearing seems very close. 6,000 rubles a month for a very nice furnished 1 bedroom apartment.

So far so good!

Enjoy figuring Bangkok out. When i first started making trips to Thailand I used to see how quick I could get away from Bangkok. 5 years ago I moved there and will never look back. Try to lean the basics of the Thai language and learn how to pronounce where you live right away. I never learnt that and spend quite a while looking how to get home on my first adventure

So, are you looking to teach English as a Foreign Language or teach at an International School?

Most international schools are recruiting now for a late August start. But you might be considered local as you are already here so depending on the school you might not get all the overseas recruitment perks like flights and accommodation.

Keep an eye on the TES for vacancies, good luck!

cheers for responding to recommendations in this thread Silleck! Too many times posters make an OP and then never come back to the thread or respond..

Yeah, I know the feeling, I was a mod on the largest expat site for Russia, and we had it constantly as well.

Enjoy figuring Bangkok out. When i first started making trips to Thailand I used to see how quick I could get away from Bangkok. 5 years ago I moved there and will never look back. Try to lean the basics of the Thai language and learn how to pronounce where you live right away. I never learnt that and spend quite a while looking how to get home on my first adventure

I bought a nice book from America Learning Thai for dummies..so far I'm picking up the basics :D I'm excited about the city, and a new adventure. I took on Moscow and came out alive, now I'll try my luck with Bangkok :D

So, are you looking to teach English as a Foreign Language or teach at an International School?

Most international schools are recruiting now for a late August start. But you might be considered local as you are already here so depending on the school you might not get all the overseas recruitment perks like flights and accommodation.

Keep an eye on the TES for vacancies, good luck!

I'm not really worried about flights, as I get them for free anyways, do the international schools pay better? What is TES? Newspaper?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Talked to one of my friends, decided to run to Pattaya and rent a scooter. The lady who rented it to me, had no problem with me taking it to Bangkok, gives me a good excuse to go to the beach once a month for a weekend to pay for it! Much cheaper there, than in Bangkok to rent one.

Ratchyothin Area is great lots of 1 and 2 bedroom places for 8 - 12 k. Cleaner than most and not so far from the MRT. PhahonYothin. Down side is PhahonYothin can have some stupid trafic after 5pm. But google places to rent in Bangkok most will ask a price range. G'luck

Ratchyothin Area is great lots of 1 and 2 bedroom places for 8 - 12 k. Cleaner than most and not so far from the MRT. PhahonYothin. Down side is PhahonYothin can have some stupid trafic after 5pm. But google places to rent in Bangkok most will ask a price range. G'luck

I got my apartment at BTS bearing, about 5 minutes from the BTS 6,000 baht, really nice new building and new apartment..fully furnished.

I got my apartment at BTS bearing, about 5 minutes from the BTS 6,000 baht, really nice new building and new apartment..fully furnished.

Very good deal. Far out of the city but the BTS is smooth and fast. Hope you enjoy your stay and may it all work out for you.

• Like 1