Pattaya Vs Phuket

britmaveric

But reflecting on my recent trip down to Phuket, I have to wonder about the pearl of the Andaman. So much is made of Phuket being the premier destination in Thailand. Sure, it has a lot going for it, but I have to admit getting rather sick at the snootiness shown by many of the Phuket locals towards Pattaya. Truth be told, Pattaya kicks Phuket's ass in many ways. First of all, the prices for just about everything are astronomical in Phuket. Most things in Pattaya are much more reasonably priced. In terms of choice of hotels and affordability, again Pattaya is hard to beat. As far as food goes, I reckon that once again Pattaya is the pick, although this is somewhat subjective I must admit. For bars and nightlife there is little doubt where is better. In fact, apart from natural beauty and better beaches, Pattaya is a very real alternative

-Stickman

26 Feb 2006

I think its like comparing apples/oranges, but interesting that Stick has been this vocal about his preference. :o

I think its like comparing apples/oranges, but interesting that Stick has been this vocal about his preference. :o

Must have been ripped off during his trip there :D

One thing I noticed while I was working in the 'stan. We had a lot of people visit Thailand on their holidays, from the average working stiff all the way to the big boss himself.

People that wanted to lay on a beach, see some nice scenery and enjoy a bit of nightlife, went to Phuket.

People that wanted to enjoy a lot of nightlife, and maybe a little time on the beach, went to Pattaya.

People that wanted to look like respectable tourists (families/couples), went to Koh Samui or Koh Chang.

I was talking to one guy who was going to Phuket. I told him I usually go to Pattaya. He said he wouldn't ever go there, as Pattaya was "Sin City". As though there was no "sin" to be had in Phuket !

The funny part is, he fell in love with the 3rd or 4th BG he went out with on his first trip to Thailand !

(long story, but basically he ended up quitting his job, marrying the BG, who divorced him later as he had no source of income. Sound familiar ?)

I have heard that prices in Phuket are nutty compared to Pattaya (this from a BG that used to live in the same building as me). She went there to work and was telling her friends back here about the crazy money she was making, trying to convince some of them to come work with her.

Oddly enough, she is now back in Patters working. Guess business took a downturn, or she needed a break from "working" too much ?

No-one has menioned accessability. For me one of the big reasons (but by no means the only) reason I opted for Pattaya was the ease of getting to Bangkok and Don Muang, and a greater part of central and North East Thailand.

To me living in Phuket would be a bit like living in Cornwall or Devon in England - very beautiful scenerey, but even these days still quite cut of from the rest of England, as is Phuket from the rest of thailand - except the deep South - but who wants to go there?

This accessability thing is not just for me, but also for friends and family when they come to stay. 2 hours or so after landing at Don Muang they can be lounging by the pool. I think this is a big plus. When the new airport eventually opens - even quicker.

Don't get me wrong, I also think Pattaya has also a lot of other pluses which have been referred to in other posts, and is no more a sin city than most other large conurbations in Thailand. :o

Ok for me :-

Beaches- Phuket, hands down

Prices- Pattaya, hands down. Phuket has to be jsut about the most expensive place in Thailand

Resteraunts- Well tough one this, but I'd go with Pattaya as it has a wider choice and probably better "Falang" resteraunts, but Phuket is better for sea food IMO

Bars/nightlife- Well I'll go against the crowd and say Phuket by a whisker:D I just find the bars there more fun(might just be because I know more people down there). Ok Pattaya has a lot more of them but most are just clones of each other.

Shopping-Pattaya more avalibility of just about everything and cheaper

Accesability- well for me Pattaya but for most people coming on holiday there's nothing really in it as you just fly down to Phuket 1 hr instead of the 2hr drive to Pattaya. For me I'd have to drive 2 hrs to get the flight anyway or about 12hr drive to Phuket as oppased to about 3.5 hrs to Pattaya

Hotel's - Well just depends on what you want Phuket has some very good top end resorts, but you pay the price where Pattaya has more choice and a very good range of "medium" hotels at affordable prices.

Just a few other points there are not the really annoying tailors in Pattaya but you do seem to get more hawkers around the bars, taxi's (tuk tuk's song treows, bhat busses motercycle taxi's) are much better in Pattaya even if you pay the "falang" price

At the end of the day it's each to their own, but both have their good and bad points

RC

Well, if you want to relax and enjot the beach and some peace and quiet, Phuket is better...

you can relax enjoy the beach have peace and quiet in pattaya too,and if you want nice beaches jump on the ferry to koh larn,or take a trip down to koh samet or koh chang for a few days.

pattaya wins habnds down.

anyone noticed more couples are frequenting pattaya lately,in falang land are they pushing pattaya as a family resort now.

they seem to be enjoying themselves so no reason pattaya cannot be for everyone.

with new airport opening soon i think more package tours will be offered for pattaya.

anyone noticed more couples are frequenting pattaya lately,in falang land are they pushing pattaya as a family resort now.

they seem to be enjoying themselves so no reason pattaya cannot be for everyone.

I'm 100% family man and enjoy going to Pattaya. After initial discontent about the dirty beach (Jomtien is filthy by Oz standards and would have been closed by authorities if it were there) I found places to go and love it now.

A family from upcountry joined us once and just before their departure they asked "where are the sins Pattaya is famous about?". They could not tell they just spent 5 days in the sex capital of the world.

Accessibility, facilities, hospitals...facilities in the first place....if that water park was in Khorat, I would be going there for holidays.

I also agree with Stickman. I find Phuket to be overpriced in every aspects of living except for the beaches.

However, one thing that I really dislike about Pattaya is the low quality of both Thais and Farangs. Granted there are really nice expats and tourist but it also attracts crooks and criminal from the rest of the world. No wonder they have permanent Interpol(International Police) stationed in Pattaya.

Ok for me :-

Just a few other points there are not the really annoying tailors in Pattaya but you do seem to get more hawkers around the bars, taxi's (tuk tuk's song treows, bhat busses motercycle taxi's) are much better in Pattaya even if you pay the "falang" price

At the end of the day it's each to their own, but both have their good and bad points

RC

The transport pricing issue is an interesting point.

In Pattaya there are endless complaints by farang having to pay 10 baht on the Songtaows compared to the locals paying 5 baht.

In Phuket there were reports that over the New Year holiday period that the minimum fare on a tuk tuk was 100 baht.

In Pattaya there are endless complaints by farang having to pay 10 baht on the Songtaows compared to the locals paying 5 baht.

Don't you hate this complaint? (not digging at you cobber :D )

I hear this all the time and its nonsence, its their bloody country besides the fact that your average farang is alot better off then most of the thai baht bus travellers. :D

5 baht - 10 bht come on, 5bht - 50bht ok fair enough piss take.

Cheap charlie brigade. :o

Edited by davethailand

Don't shoot the messenger but one get's the feeling Phuket doesn't want cheap charlies and is quietly happy to dissuade them without actually stating it in brochures. Hua Hin wants wealthy retiress, Samui wants families, etc, etc. Fair enough. Thailand's going that way. Pattaya is starting too. Just reality.

FOR the record, Pattaya & area has alot more to offer than just soi 8 etc but some like to paint it with one brush. Just show's the ignorance (or preference) of those who make the assumption. Gotta run, have to be off to cheap charlies bkk on soi 11 for happy hour... before it disappears :o

For me Pattaya wins hands down on all aspects except the beach. But then again a 20 baht ferry ride to Koh Larn will give you white sandy beaches with crystal clear water. Nobody has even mentioned the weather, it rains a hel_l of a lot more in Phuket than it does in Pattaya and I hate the rain as does my Thai missus.

The transport pricing issue is an interesting point.

In Phuket there were reports that over the New Year holiday period that the minimum fare on a tuk tuk was 100 baht.

The reports are correct. Last January after 3 weeks in Pattaya we spent 5 days at The Holiday Inn Patong to finish off our holiday with a bit of luxury. The cheapest my Thai wife could negotiate the baht bus drivers down to was 100 baht for a short trip. After spending 5 to 10 baht in Pattaya she was not impressed.

Another annoying thing for her was food. The first night she just felt like fried beef with chilly and some fried noodles (cannot remember the thai name but a common dish from the small street venders in Pattaya). I said no problem, write it in thai and I will get some. Well I could not find a thai restaurant within 15 minutes walking anywhere near the Holiday Inn. All establishments were selling expensive farang meals. Finally I found some massage parlours and figuring the girls must eat somewhere asked for help and was directed up a small soi to a restaurant the actually sold thai food in thailand.

Well I returned feeling happy that I had actually found her food only to get into trouble for taking so long. You do not mess with a hungry thai lady. :o

pattaya drives me crazy 6 mos a year and esp in high season. im at my wits end now. but the longer you live here you learn to avoid the downsides. that sadly will end i think with so much building

sad truth is everywhere looks pretty much like the ugly same old place so why bother to go all way to phuket/samui - UNLESS you go out into the nature.

sadly, everyone has now 'found' pattaya :-)

We love travelling and always look for unique experiences. We love local “thainess”, not import western culture. We don’t drink and we hate bars!

Phuket is overcrowded and underserviced. It has problem with rain and frequent flooding. But I still love the air, the beaches, but not the local people – both thais and farangs. Phuket definitely wasn’t the ideal destination, but it was ideal for diving so we decided to ignore the rest and go anyway. Unfortunately everything we’d heard was true and Patong really is as bad as the reputation which proceed it. I hate being surrounded by tourists and I hate resorts.

Other parts of Phuket is still worth every minute. Phuket Town…we thought it was actually quite nice.

But I could see the deterioration of the tourist industry in both Pattaya and Phuket over the years. More quantity tourists but less quality. In both places, the local people became greedy, all because of the chase after the mighty tourists money. Well they won't see me again.

So my conclusion is…

Avoid Patong but enjoy the greater Phuket……same go for Pattaya: Avoid Pattaya itself but enjoy the greater Pattaya.

Another annoying thing for her was food. The first night she just felt like fried beef with chilly and some fried noodles (cannot remember the thai name but a common dish from the small street venders in Pattaya). I said no problem, write it in thai and I will get some. Well I could not find a thai restaurant within 15 minutes walking anywhere near the Holiday Inn. All establishments were selling expensive farang meals. Finally I found some massage parlours and figuring the girls must eat somewhere asked for help and was directed up a small soi to a restaurant the actually sold thai food in thailand.

Well I returned feeling happy that I had actually found her food only to get into trouble for taking so long. You do not mess with a hungry thai lady. :o

"No darling, honestly - I only went to the massage parlour to buy you some noodles !"

I'll choose Phuket any time, I like the natural beauty of the island, the beaches and nature in general, please remember there are more to Phuket than Patong.

I admit that Phuket is more expensive than most other places in LOL, but you only live once, and you can't take it with you, enjoy life now. :o

No-one has menioned accessability. For me one of the big reasons (but by no means the only) reason I opted for Pattaya was the ease of getting to Bangkok and Don Muang, and a greater part of central and North East Thailand.

To me living in Phuket would be a bit like living in Cornwall or Devon in England - very beautiful scenerey, but even these days still quite cut of from the rest of England, as is Phuket from the rest of thailand - except the deep South - but who wants to go there?

This accessability thing is not just for me, but also for friends and family when they come to stay. 2 hours or so after landing at Don Muang they can be lounging by the pool. I think this is a big plus. When the new airport eventually opens - even quicker.

Don't get me wrong, I also think Pattaya has also a lot of other pluses which have been referred to in other posts, and is no more a sin city than most other large conurbations in Thailand. :o

Accessability? ... Fly direct to HKT International ..... or fly from BKK to HKT ... (one hour flight roughly)

Phuket is far more beautiful, the beaches are far nicer, there is more to see and do. Scuba? good golfing? fun side trips? But for cheap cheap hotels and short time entertainment Pattaya wins hands down! Nothing like going to Pattaya Beach after a heavy rain! The smells ... the flotsam!! A very special day indeed! Virtually an olfactory smorgasbord !

All that being said ... I still hop down to Pattaya more often than phuket ... but hel_l ... saving the airfare from BKK is what sells me for a weekend of drinking!

[

Accessability? ... Fly direct to HKT International ..... or fly from BKK to HKT ... (one hour flight roughly)

One hour flight? Come on now. What about check intime, check out time, and very expensive taxi time from Phuket airport to your destination?

All that being said ... I still hop down to Pattaya more often than phuket ...

QED I think :o

For me, my Thai family, and my overseas family and friends, Pattaya is a lot more accessable, and we have cars to drive around in when we're here instead of having to rely on the notoriously expensive Songtows etc that operate in Phuket.

And we can pop over to Bangkok or wherever for the day - not too many places to go outside of Phuket without risking getting shot by insurgents.

I could, but won't argue about the beaches and other stuff - I'll give you that. :D

We flew there last month ... ok .. call it 2 hours .. check in 30 mins early and all ....

Meter taxis at the airport now ... cost me 260 baht to the hotel in AC comfort :-) (that was with a nighttime surcharge)

Rented a car ... what great driving around the island ... (all new roads along the seaside.

Still if I were a tourist and picking a place based on beauty and relaxing ... Phuket would be it even though I'd end up renting a car.

Not being a tourist and having a car in BKK ... yeah I drive to Pattaya and park it :-) ((Or even take a bus down sometimes))

Face it though ... Pattaya aint so nice anymore ... don't know if it ever was! But for a weekend of drunken debauchery .... Pattaya just can't be beat!

Phuket is having an excellent high season, Pattaya a very disappointing one.

I guess the tourists know best.

Pattayas high season has been very busy, most hotels were completely full.

The only bad season has been for gogos and beer bars etc as there are more and more families etc coming now.

I've had the best high season in 5 years. :o

Phuket is having an excellent high season, Pattaya a very disappointing one.

I guess the tourists know best.

Pattayas high season has been very busy, most hotels were completely full.

The only bad season has been for gogos and beer bars etc as there are more and more families etc coming now.

I've had the best high season in 5 years. :D

That's exactly what I thought, Dave.

Where are you getting your stats from, Sir Burr? :o

• 2 weeks later...

In my next Thai vacation I thought about combining both Pattaya and Phuket.

Last time in Pattaya I heard something about Pattaya actually have a small Airport?

Does anyone know anything about that?

And if so - are there flights from Pattaya Airport to Phuket?

Utapeo to Phuket w/BKK Air. Only problem is price is over the top compared to say Asia Air going from BKK To Phuket.

Thanks for the info britmaveric.

And the price for a one way ticket is 60 Euros, thats less than I pay for a taxi from my home to copenhagen airport :-)