Upsurge In Retirement Visa Extensions

george

MANAGEMENT LESSON?

So, this rich European came to Thailand 10 years ago with a nice amount of Euro's. (Note that English is not his first language)

Then, exploiting the housing market he multiplied this amount quite a few times and now the properties and land are valued at around 9 figures in Thai Baht.

However, he is completely stressed and they drive him nuts with the Yearly VISA application and he finds the 400.000 baht regulation very unfair because he sometimes has a Cash Flow problem.

This man thinks that because of "his good works", employing people in Thailand and paying taxes he should be treated as a special case regarding his Visa and for some unknown reason, he is unwilling to apply for citizenship.

He whines about his misfortune - but he still loves Thailand?

MANAGEMENT LESSON ONE:

A turkey was chatting with a bull. "I would love to be able to get to the top of that tree," sighed the turkey, "but I haven't got the energy."

"Well, why don't you nibble on some of my droppings?" replied the bull. "They're packed with nutrients."

The turkey pecked at a lump of dung and found that it actually gave him enough strength to reach the first branch of the tree. T he next day, after eating some more dung, he reached the second branch. Finally after a fourth night, there he was proudly perched at the top of the tree. Soon he was promptly spotted by a farmer, who shot the turkey out of the tree.

Management Lesson:

Bullshit might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there

MANAGEMENT LESSON TWO:

A little bird was flying south for the winter. It was so cold; the bird froze and fell to the ground in a large field. While the bird was lying there, a cow came by

and dropped some dung on it. As the frozen bird lay there in the pile of cow dung,

it began to realize how warm it was. The dung was actually thawing him out! He lay

there all warm and happy, and soon began to sing for joy. A passing cat heard the

bird singing and came to investigate. Following the sound, the cat discovered the

bird under the pile of cow dung, and promptly dug him out and ate him!

Management Lesson:

1) Not everyone who drops shit on you i s your enemy.

2) Not everyone who gets you out of shit is your friend.

3) And when you're in deep shit, keep your mouth shut!

Sorry Mods but really - this is a joke? giggle.gif

Nice post and quite true. I have seen guys come and go for many years. Some of them come here for a couple of weeks of fun. Some of them are serious about starting a life here with their lady. Occasionally one shows up telling everyone how rich he is and tries to impress the locals. But very seldom is there one who actually tries to impress the foreigners here with their bullshit. Now I hope the OP is rich as George Soros, good for him. That is all I will say about this.
  • Like 1

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is something that I've been thinking about , who the hell cares if the number of people on retirement visas increases or decreases, or if the most of the applicants r britishers or russians, they, they are not the real problem, the elephant in the room is the huge number of foreigners( of all nationalities and colors) that hav thai families( married to thais, or that have thai husdband/wife) and don't even have the right to earn a living in this country unless you hav a bachellor degree, or lots of money in the bank. we r thousand of people in this situtatuion, and it seems that no one in teh goverment care about us or about the well-being of our thai relative who in most of cases depends on us, at least give us the chance of work freely, eliminate the income requirements to our visa or make it equal to the normal income of a thai 15000 bath/ month ( 400,000 yearly = 33,333/month), and pleace lower the income requirements for pr and citizenship as well, we r human beings and our thai families too.

Nonsense. You didn't have a Thai family when you arrived here. You knew the rules when you created a Thai family and now you think you are special because you entered into the situation you don't like voluntarily.

Hardly fair to those of us who did the actual work to come in to Thailand and call it home legally.

You have no idea how sorry I feel for you.

Perhaps you are like the other poster who figures he is so good he shouldn't have to do what the rest of us do.

I don't quite understand what do mean, I don't think that I am special, what I think is that like in most of other countries, if you have a blood relationship with the country that you have come to(husband/wife son/oughter etc) immigration rules should be easier in relation to those that don't have any other connection than work, investment or something like that, I do work hard to stay here, with my family, and you can save your pity for yourself, I don't need it.

Do you know what you are saying there? I know quite a few hard working tax paying falang who have been here for years or even decades. They don't have a family, by any official definition that is. So basically what you are saying is that they don't deserve what you deserve. The irony is that these people, unlike you, have accepted the limitations of this country. They outweighed the pros and cons and accepted the Thai reality. Most of them don't even visit this forum to complain. And if they wouldn't like living here anymore they'd simply pack and leave. A simple reality I accepted as well.

As has been said numerous times before. You know the rules before settling down here so don't complain later. Remember you came as a guest and when you accept the fact you will always be a guest it's a lot easier to handle your own situation fair and honest to yourself and others.

What'd happen ,you reckon if they increased the cost of a yearly visa from 1,900 baht to $1,900? That ought to clear out some of the excess but at the same time boost revenue. Would you pay $1,900?

• Like 1

At Jomtien, I have ALWAYS had to wait until the next day to collect my passport. It might be different for people starting in the morning. My last extension just took a really long time compared to the past. I was seen promptly enough for the initial meeting, but then for the second stage where a staff person does some processing there was a large stack of passports, a large crowd and a wait well over an hour simply to get the plastic number thingie to collect the passport the next day.

I dont follow this.

When I did my extension I got a number ticket at reception and shortly afterwards I saw a person on the very front row of desks. That person quickly checked my photocopies and took them and my passport and my money, giving me a plastic tag. The next day I sat briefly in front of a person further back in the room, who rapidly gave me my updated passport in return for the plastic tag. And that's it.

You seem to have had an extra stage as well as discussions, neither of which I had. Not that I'm complaining.

8 pages of comments but no one seems to have mentioned the simple fact that whilst for a retirement extension they want you to demonstrate that you have a certain (fairly small) amount of money available to you, no one actually requires you to spend any of it.

Other countries that do retirement visas are not so generous.

At Jomtien, I have ALWAYS had to wait until the next day to collect my passport. It might be different for people starting in the morning. My last extension just took a really long time compared to the past. I was seen promptly enough for the initial meeting, but then for the second stage where a staff person does some processing there was a large stack of passports, a large crowd and a wait well over an hour simply to get the plastic number thingie to collect the passport the next day.

I dont follow this.

When I did my extension I got a number ticket at reception and shortly afterwards I saw a person on the very front row of desks. That person quickly checked my photocopies and took them and my passport and my money, giving me a plastic tag. The next day I sat briefly in front of a person further back in the room, who rapidly gave me my updated passport in return for the plastic tag. And that's it.

You seem to have had an extra stage as well as discussions, neither of which I had. Not that I'm complaining.

Not only me. A large crowd of people. Yes there were two steps. The meeting with the officer. Then all the paperwork was passed to a desk directly in back of that desk. Then the LONG wait and a long queue for another officer to review all the paperwork and only then give the plastic tag (to get the passport back the next day). Edited by Jingthing

8 pages of comments but no one seems to have mentioned the simple fact that whilst for a retirement extension they want you to demonstrate that you have a certain (fairly small) amount of money available to you, no one actually requires you to spend any of it.

Other countries that do retirement visas are not so generous.

It's not quite that simple really.

Each retirement visa country has their own policies.

Most of them have no bank account only option at all!

For people who can only do the bank account thing, Thailand is a TOP choice because there are so few OTHER choices.

Then for the more typical INCOME requirements, some require it must be a pension, some do not.

Then some require annual IMPORT of ALL the annually required monies, some do not.

As far as requirement to SPEND an actual amount annually (as opposed to IMPORT) please refresh my memory as I am not aware of even one retirement visa offering country that tracks SPENDING as you imply.

Also then there are countries which have annual import requirements but who offer a quick and easy path to PERMANENT RESIDENCE, ending any such annual requirements.

Edited by Jingthing

I have this VISA sh.t luckily only once a year and call it in my case unfair. I'm married with a wonderful Thai woman for close to 10 years. Together we are proud and happy parents off our daughter. Yearly I have to proof myself again. I entered years ago nice amount off Euro's and multiplied this amount quiet a few times thanks to good, property, investments. Our property-evaluated by 2 banks (I paid them both for taxation report just out off curiosity). The properties and land is evaluated at around 9 figures in Thai Baht before the decimal! But Immigration/ Thai authorities doesn't give a sh.t about this. Because we keep investing and always improving our properties. We do have sometimes Cash Flow shortage. If I have this around new Yearly VISA application I'm completely stressed and they drive me nuts with this. This gives then again a huge blow to our normally happy family.

This 400.000 baht regulation is very unfair to people like me. I provide many Thai laborers/families most construction people year after year with an above minimum wages income. I have staff on and around my properties and our land. We feed many families and provide a lot off help to a village in Isaan. i keep investing to secure my wife and kid, for when I pass away (15 years elder then my partner and weak health but fairly good brains) but sometimes Immigration rules are unfair (and always their; "It is Up to You Remark". Thailand should treat us and give us the same opportunities as Thai's get in foreign country's.

Check article 17.1 & 17.2 UN Manifest for Human Rights!

See where wealthy Thai's own easily and legally private property abroad (Thaksin as an example), but many wealthy Thai have the same. Many Thai's working abroad (Europe, US and so on) can buy and OWN.

China is open for foreign investment, even Cuba, Cambodia, Malaysia and so on, but Thailand is still old fashioned and over-protective. A limitation on maximum land-sizes and property could be understandable for security off food supply.

But current Visa & Ownership rights is out off time.

This only beneficiary to the wealthy Thai, many from Chinese origin (Shinawatra family). They "passed the test off time". I keep "wrestling and struggling" knowing that my beloved daughter & if they ever come my Grandchildren will not face the same unfair treatment. They will be Thai. But for me and my wife the system has been really unfair.

I still love Thailand!

In a few weeks it will be my VISA turn again. And it looks this year more easy for me. Currently I'm Bank-book wise in the Safe-zone.

Edwin

A rather confusing post. You have over 100 million baht's worth of property and you are struggling to show a measly 400k to get your visa renewed. It sounds like you are running a business but you are apparently working illegally without work permit which would enable you to get NON-Imm B visas without having to worry about the 400k.

With a significant investment in Thailand and a some sort of business employing many Thai staff for 10 years I don't understand why you haven't done it properly with work permits and paying income tax, so you could have applied for permanent residence which you probably would have got by now. From 2008 onwards with a Thai wife you could also have applied for Thai citizenship.

Edited by Arkady

"Although there are more British applicants than any other nationality, there is a noticeable growth in the number of Russian applicants. If the trend continues, more than 45,000 such visas will have been issued by the end of the 2013."

The financial requirements for retirement and marriage extensions must be about the lowest in the world without any requirement to actually spend anything in Thailand. The Thais know that but up until now they have been more focused on achieving successive annual targets for zillions more tourists. However, with these kind of numbers there is likely to be some pressure to increase them to get more higher value added retirees and lose the bottom end of the low margin mass market business. Many of the Immigration fees and qualification thresholds have not been raised for quite a few years. For example the fee for permanent residence suddenly went up from B50k to about 180k (half for those with Thai spouses).

They are already getting quite panicked about what the AEC agreement is going mean a few years down the track when they will be forced to make it easier for ASEAN nationals to invest, live and work in Thailand. Within 5 years there will almost certainly be a major revamp to Immigration rules for non-ASEAN nationals who come to retire and under 50s coming to live without a work permit with thresholds and prices raised substantially. Hopefully they will reduce some of the mind boggling red tape for those who still qualify and give more benefits such as 5-10 year extensions and ability to own a plot of land and import household effects and a car duty free. Dream on!

The financial requirements for retirement and marriage extensions must be about the lowest in the world without any requirement to actually spend anything in Thailand.

That is simply not true. There are a number of countries with lower or similar requirements and I don't know of even ONE country in the world that tracks retiree SPENDING. In a few cases, MUCH LOWER. Though some do require the full required amount be IMPORTED annually, that doesn't mean it needs to be SPENT.

Also worth noting, the majority of countries in the world that have any retirement visa program at all are in Latin America.

Edited by Jingthing

Well, this is something that I've been thinking about , who the hell cares if the number of people on retirement visas increases or decreases, or if the most of the applicants r britishers or russians, they, they are not the real problem, the elephant in the room is the huge number of foreigners( of all nationalities and colors) that hav thai families( married to thais, or that have thai husdband/wife) and don't even have the right to earn a living in this country unless you hav a bachellor degree, or lots of money in the bank. we r thousand of people in this situtatuion, and it seems that no one in teh goverment care about us or about the well-being of our thai relative who in most of cases depends on us, at least give us the chance of work freely, eliminate the income requirements to our visa or make it equal to the normal income of a thai 15000 bath/ month ( 400,000 yearly = 33,333/month), and pleace lower the income requirements for pr and citizenship as well, we r human beings and our thai families too.

Nonsense. You didn't have a Thai family when you arrived here. You knew the rules when you created a Thai family and now you think you are special because you entered into the situation you don't like voluntarily.

Hardly fair to those of us who did the actual work to come in to Thailand and call it home legally.

You have no idea how sorry I feel for you.

Perhaps you are like the other poster who figures he is so good he shouldn't have to do what the rest of us do.

Every forum has em "if you dont like it here go back to your own country mob" Give the poster a break for all you know when he came here the visa requirements were 200k which is only slightly above the 15000 per month he is requesting. I sense some desperation in his message and may require some advice which you as ' Im alright Jack' is not capable of providing. Yes I agree there should be certain jobs we can do here that dont require degrees. What they are I dont really know. I would suggest a visa for running a business online in most cases does not effect Thais as long as you pay your taxes

I wonder how much longer it goes before Thailand will have to make the immigration system equal to what we find in Europe/USA to avoid being a refugee camp for Westerners!

Indeed If Westerners were subjected to the same standards to enter Thailand that the Thais are to enter there country there would be a lot less expats here. But they would be happy because they could go any where they wanted and not let the government know where they are.

An admirable goal worthy of there efforts. Maybe they could get together and p-lan write in campains and hand out leaflets. Hold peaceful demonstrations.

The term wanke_rs comes to mind.cheesy.gifgiggle.gif

• Like 1

Is there a price increase comming?

Sounds like it, doesn't it? Maybe not such a bad idea to get rid of all the riff raff.

I would disagree with you for two reasons.

1 Are you saying riff raff is determined by money not charictor

2 Many of the people you consider rif raf can not meet the existing qualification so they lie about them or borrow the money for the bank statement. Currently it is a 65,000 baht minimum on the guaranteed income. That is a lot of money for a single person.

I do feel that they missed the boat with the 40,000 baht for a marriage visa. My wife cost me that much she dosen't save me any money.sad.png

Not only me. A large crowd of people. Yes there were two steps. The meeting with the officer. Then all the paperwork was passed to a desk directly in back of that desk. Then the LONG wait and a long queue for another officer to review all the paperwork and only then give the plastic tag (to get the passport back the next day).

Maybe they just like my face? smile.png

I will be interested to see whether my experience will be any different when I renew this year.

Then some require annual IMPORT of ALL the annually required monies, some do not.

As far as requirement to SPEND an actual amount annually (as opposed to IMPORT) please refresh my memory as I am not aware of even one retirement visa offering country that tracks SPENDING as you imply.

Well, if the difference is important to you let's put it another way. Many other countries require you to keep importing fairly large amounts of "new" money every year, whereas in Thailand they just want to know that you have it available for your use if needed, and if deposited the same sum of money can be re-used year after year.

This seems much more generous to me.

What'd happen ,you reckon if they increased the cost of a yearly visa from 1,900 baht to $1,900? That ought to clear out some of the excess but at the same time boost revenue. Would you pay $1,900?

Grudgenly

Thailand is worth it.

I'm not so sure. If they put the retirement visa fee up by so much I would look much harder for another retirement destination, though as I would probably have trouble finding one that allows me to save so much tax I would more than likely end up staying here and paying the USD1900. I certainly wouldn't be paying it because I love Thailand though. Countries just aren't so wonderful.

Edited by BlackPuddingBertha

Well, if the difference is important to you let's put it another way. Many other countries require you to keep importing fairly large amounts of "new" money every year, whereas in Thailand they just want to know that you have it available for your use if needed, and if deposited the same sum of money can be re-used year after year.

Thailand has a good offer. Having a bank account option is very unusual. Many is a vague word. Some countries require the annual import and some do not.

Thailand has a good offer. It is not the best in the world if you're only evaluating visa offers, which in real life, is only one factor. Having a bank account option is very unusual. Many is a vague word. Some countries require the annual import and some do not. The biggest downside of Thailand's program is no path to permanent residence. Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Thailand has a good offer. It is not the best in the world if you're only evaluating visa offers, which in real life, is only one factor. Having a bank account option is very unusual. Many is a vague word. Some countries require the annual import and some do not. The biggest downside of Thailand's program is no path to permanent residence.

I couldn't agree more, having overstay fines and the need to make 90 day reports always in your mind is a drag at times.

I'd like to spend the winters in Thailand and the summer in Spain - following the sun biggrin.png

Of course, this type of life style is quite expensive, the need to have the resources to live in both locations, plus travel costs for two, however, this is my choice and I spend my money with no regrets. There are no pockets in a shroud.

I love the Thai way of doing things where family comes first, second and last smile.png

Whilst the Thais, generally, are not rich in a monetary sense, they are rich beyond belief in their ability to "take care" in a family sense and I honestly feel that those riches are Priceless "to quote Mastercard!".

Any BS that has to be endured with the arduous travel, (I have a 7 hour train journey, an overnight wait in Madrid airport, 14 hours of flying in two stints with a couple of hours to change planes at half way), or with immigration in order to stay here is trivial when compared to the sheer joy of being here.

However, if the immigration was simplified, think of all the ex-pats that I would never have met whilst waiting for the paperwork to be completed.coffee1.gif

In every cloud there is a silver lining.clap2.gif

What would be a blessing is if the Farang Whingers started to love and enjoy their time here and started to look for the good in anything and everything.

It's a choice, you can choose to be happy or not.crazy.gif

Have a little Google

Here's a link that might help

http://www.csulb.edu/~tstevens/

• Like 2

Yes, true. Thailand is I think in the middle range. Indonesia income requirement is $1500 USD a month for retirees and can become a citizen rather easily, but has many restrictions in mean time (abt how much to pay for rent, etc). Ecuador it is $800 plus all rights of a citizen except to vote. Panama it is around $600 I think. Argentina $1500.

But the problem is they are not Thailand, and Thailand is the country I love, where I want to live. If the USD keeps declining maybe I will have no choice, but I love Thailand - the country, the people, the culture...

It's a great place to be in the world.

:)

The financial requirements for retirement and marriage extensions must be about the lowest in the world without any requirement to actually spend anything in Thailand.

That is simply not true. There are a number of countries with lower or similar requirements and I don't know of even ONE country in the world that tracks retiree SPENDING. In a few cases, MUCH LOWER. Though some do require the full required amount be IMPORTED annually, that doesn't mean it needs to be SPENT.

Also worth noting, the majority of countries in the world that have any retirement visa program at all are in Latin America.

• Like 1

Thailand has a good offer. It is not the best in the world if you're only evaluating visa offers, which in real life, is only one factor. Having a bank account option is very unusual. Many is a vague word. Some countries require the annual import and some do not. The biggest downside of Thailand's program is no path to permanent residence.

I couldn't agree more, having overstay fines and the need to make 90 day reports always in your mind is a drag at times.

I'd like to spend the winters in Thailand and the summer in Spain - following the sun biggrin.png

Of course, this type of life style is quite expensive, the need to have the resources to live in both locations, plus travel costs for two, however, this is my choice and I spend my money with no regrets. There are no pockets in a shroud.

I love the Thai way of doing things where family comes first, second and last smile.png

Whilst the Thais, generally, are not rich in a monetary sense, they are rich beyond belief in their ability to "take care" in a family sense and I honestly feel that those riches are Priceless "to quote Mastercard!".

Any BS that has to be endured with the arduous travel, (I have a 7 hour train journey, an overnight wait in Madrid airport, 14 hours of flying in two stints with a couple of hours to change planes at half way), or with immigration in order to stay here is trivial when compared to the sheer joy of being here.

However, if the immigration was simplified, think of all the ex-pats that I would never have met whilst waiting for the paperwork to be completed.coffee1.gif

In every cloud there is a silver lining.clap2.gif

What would be a blessing is if the Farang Whingers started to love and enjoy their time here and started to look for the good in anything and everything.

It's a choice, you can choose to be happy or not.crazy.gif

Have a little Google

Here's a link that might help

http://www.csulb.edu/~tstevens/

Not only do I like it I completely agree with it. I don't have the money to maintain a residency in two countries and not sure I would if I did. But what you said about the Thai richness in families is so right on. A fact so easy to over look for many expats in there drive for material possessions. Sadly there are way to many of them here and slowly the Thais are looking towards materialism.sad.png

My wife and her family are Thai through and through to the point where if the food is not Thai it is no good a cording to my wife. (you can imagine traveling outside the country with her) I pay 5,500 baht a month for her mothers lodging. I had to put in some improvements such as a western toilet which the wife's brother traveled 100 Kilometers to do plus other repairs before she moved in. I looked over the premisses and told the wife that if she wanted I would spend more for her mother. For me with my western upbringing it was a dump but to the Thai way of thinking it was very nice and the family chipped in to make it more accommodating for her.

This is a way of life that we don't see that much of in the western world. There is some of it like my brother who is always looking for projects he can do for the family as he loves doing that sort of things and he has run out of them at his own house. It is his form of relaxing. But you don't see a lot of that in the Western world.

I am not a big fan of the reporting system here but it is a very minor issue and as you say I have met some very interesting people in my waiting at immigration.wai2.gif

• Like 2

Every forum has em "if you dont like it here go back to your own country mob" Give the poster a break for all you know when he came here the visa requirements were 200k which is only slightly above the 15000 per month he is requesting. I sense some desperation in his message and may require some advice which you as ' Im alright Jack' is not capable of providing. Yes I agree there should be certain jobs we can do here that dont require degrees. What they are I dont really know. I would suggest a visa for running a business online in most cases does not effect Thais as long as you pay your taxes

Well honestly, if I didn't like it here and if all I could do was insult the country, its people and other aspects of life here, why should they stay and why should Thailand encourage them to. If they don't love Thailand they should find another country to live in. If it ever comes to the point I cannot satisfy immigration requirements I will look at alternatives for staying here, if I cannot manage that I will find another place, but I will never say bad things about Thailand. I think there is no better country in the world to be in...

Too, I believe those here when the requirements were lower still only need to meet that.

(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively

permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in

a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of

no less than Baht 20,000.

(7 ) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed

income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht

500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000.

Edited by granuaile
  • Like 1

Yes, true. Thailand is I think in the middle range. Indonesia income requirement is $1500 USD a month for retirees and can become a citizen rather easily, but has many restrictions in mean time (abt how much to pay for rent, etc). Ecuador it is $800 plus all rights of a citizen except to vote. Panama it is around $600 I think. Argentina $1500.

But the problem is they are not Thailand, and Thailand is the country I love, where I want to live. If the USD keeps declining maybe I will have no choice, but I love Thailand - the country, the people, the culture...

It's a great place to be in the world.

smile.png

A friend of mine is trying to take up a permanent residency in Bali. He says the visa is easy once you know where to leave an envelope of money.

• Like 1