Recommendations For Live-Aboard Dive Holiday...or Not

bangkokpoppys

I am not a diver however have some friends visiting in November who wish to do a 3 day dive trip liveaboard.

Should I be telling them not to bother and to save their bucks for Liyang-Liyang, Maldives, Borneo...or is there a really good diving in Thailand waters?

hoping for some good suggestions...thanks

Fanastic diving off the coast near Khao Lak. Several great areas to choose from including the Similans and the Mergui Archipelago. Even the Andaman and Nicobar islands are reachable, though quite a trip. Great diving there.

Let's try this over in the Dive forum and see what others have to say.

Topic Moved.

"who wish to do a 3 day dive trip liveaboard."

Most important: tell your friends to do a 4 days liveaboard. The 3 day trips in general don't visit all highlights like Richelieu Rock. There are a few exceptions, but that means nearly no choice of boats plus trips that are much more rushed.

• Like 2

Similan Islands, yes. Did 4-day liveaboard there and it was fantastic. On the other side of the ithsmus, in the Gulf of Thailand, is Koh Tao, which is now pretty much a single-industry island for divers. Especially great deals there for courses, long-term stays, etc., and the diving is none too shabby. Closer to Samui is Ang Thong Marine National Park, which I have been wanting to visit for a long time, supposed to be some spectacular stuff. Thailand definitely has it for the diver.

"who wish to do a 3 day dive trip liveaboard."

Most important: tell your friends to do a 4 days liveaboard. The 3 day trips in general don't visit all highlights like Richelieu Rock. There are a few exceptions, but that means nearly no choice of boats plus trips that are much more rushed.

@bangkokpoppys, I agree with stevenl. Have them add in the extra day. The won't regret it. About a year ago, I did a 4-day with http://www.similan-diving-safaris.com/index.html and had a great time. I am heading back next week to do a 5-day trip with them for diving off the Burma coast. They run a great boat and I would highly recommend them to your friends.

Davis

Hi Newbie, I would agree with most about the South Andamans being much nicer these days than the Similans which have been very over dived. I've come back from 2 trips there on different liveaboards, the best way to see the South Andamans with some photos here:

https://www.facebook...06518079&type=3

Beautiful pictures!!

• Like 1

Hi Newbie, I would agree with most about the South Andamans being much nicer these days than the Similans which have been very over dived. I've come back from 2 trips there on different liveaboards, the best way to see the South Andamans with some photos here:

https://www.facebook...06518079&type=3

I was going to book a liveaboard around the Similans, its a shame to hear they are over dived. The dive sites visited are Elephant Head Rock, Breakfast Bend, Shark Fin Reef, Anita's Reef, East Of Eden, West of Eden, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai Plateau, Rechelieu Rock. Do these dive sites fall into the dive site that have been over dived.

I was going to book a liveaboard around the Similans, its a shame to hear they are over dived. The dive sites visited are Elephant Head Rock, Breakfast Bend, Shark Fin Reef, Anita's Reef, East Of Eden, West of Eden, Koh Bon, Koh Tachai Plateau, Rechelieu Rock. Do these dive sites fall into the dive site that have been over dived.

Hi Simon1985,

only some of the sites are degraded...not all...

Elephant Rock & Richelau is still great dives I've heard this year...Basically i've heard that the further north you go, the less degraded the sites!

But overall, the life seems to be better in the South Andamans.

Cheers,

Alex

Edited by LawrenceAlexWu

Any boat giving out such a detailed itinerary does that only to sell the trip (East of Eden is still officially closed BTW). It should be that a general itinerary is set, but the exact divesites are decided on the boat, depending on diving conditions, marine sightings, other boats at divesites, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned last Wednesday from the 5-day live aboard in the Mergui Archipelago in Burma. Sailed on the M/V Dolphin Queen run by Similan Diving Safaris. I dove with them back in November 2011 and they still have all the same crew. It is an efficient and well run boat. I would highly recommend them to anyone wanting to do a live aboard. I am trying to decide if I want to go back in April or wait until November for next season.

During the 5 days we were in the archipelago, we saw only one other dive boat. According to Burma immigration in Kaw Thaung, there were only 4 other boats total in the archipelago so your are not going to have any dive site overrun with divers.

If you are interested in seeing a bit of what we say, you can check out the images in my portfolio. http://portfolio.davidkuenleyo.com

David