Dems Anxious To Ramp Up Sukhumbhand Campaign: Thai Analysis

webfact

ANALYSIS

Dems anxious to ramp up Sukhumbhand campaign

Thanatpong Kongsai

The Nation

30199285-05_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Two weeks after gubernatorial candidates stepped up campaigns following their registering to run in the poll, the competition for the Bangkok governor's seat remains a two-horse race. Several pollsters say Pheu Thai new-face Pongsapat Pongcharoen enjoys the highest approval rating, with the Democrat Sukhumbhand Paribatra trailing.

Concern that Sukhumbhand may not be able to win again has prompted the Democrats to adjust their campaign strategy.

newsjs

This has already been done although Ong-art Klampaibul, the campaign manager, said earlier the party would not change anything but adhere to its original plan.

Ong-art said Sukhumbhand had an identity that was unchangeable as he has been like that throughout his life. The cam?paign manager was confident Sukhumbhand would capture the lead in the last lap of the race because the party would continue to present him as the one serious in his work, with practical policies - not daydreams.

Initially, the Democrats were happy with Sukhumbhand having an image different from Pongsapat, a party source said. Sukhumbhand is not good at speaking in public while Pongsapat is a talker and can draw laughter when on a campaign stage and audiences love him.

But now, the Democrats have changed Sukhumbhand's campaign style. As part of the changes, Sukhumbhand has been stepping up his campaign to highlight that Bangkok developments could move forward immediately if he is re-elected. The campaign theme now focuses on the key words "moving forward immediately" without the governor having to waste time learning his tasks.

The theme also highlighted that Sukhumbhand would counter the national government's power for the sake of Bangkokians. The Democrats focused on this aspect after it saw that the "seamless cooperation" theme helped to boost Pongsapat's popularity.

Earlier, Sukhumbhand was seen as a royal descendant who was not down-to-earth while Pongsapat could express himself very well to the grassroots. Now, the Democrat campaign staff are keen to get Sukhumbhand to be down-to-earth and cast away any airs and graces. So, he has been seen sitting on the ground among local residents to post for photos with them.

Earlier, the Democrats feared that Sukhumbhand's No 16 could be hard for voters to remember. Now, the party has tried various tactics to get the number frequently mentioned and remembered. So, they have Sukhumbhand buying goods in lots of 16 - buying a lottery ticket with "16" as the last two digits. Sukhumbhand also posed for photos with a vendor who sold vegetables for Bt16 per a kilo.

In another strategy, the Democrats mobilised provincial MPs to help in the campaigning like what Pheu Thai is doing. This work by provincial MPs will be divided into two parts.

First, 26 Democrat MPs from the Central provinces will help with former Democrat candidates to push Sukhumbhand's campaign in outer areas, such as Don Mueang, Bang Plad, and Thawee Wattana. This team is lead by Democrat deputy leader Alongkorn Pollabutr, who is in charge of the Central provinces. The second team is led by Issara Somchai, another deputy leader. It will campaign in areas with people from the Northeast who have already moved their home registrations to the capital.

Key Democrat leaders realise Sukhumbhand's handicap in getting his messages through, so they have enlisted help from MPs who are good at speaking from the Northeast, central, northern and southern regions. They include the party leader and deputies and executives, as well as Bangkok councillors and district councillors.

The Democrats also plan major rallies around the capital. For example, the party has held rallies at Kosum Market in Don Mueang, at Lumpini Park and Wong Wien Yai. The last rally will be held at Benjasiri Park on March 1. During the rallies, key speakers will attack Pongsapat's weak points, such as promising beyond the governor's authority and could attack his personal life.

After seeing Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra play a leading role in begging support for Pongsapat, the Democrats will follow suit. It has mobilised key leaders such as Korn Chatikavanij and Apirak Kosayothin, to help. When the campaign moved to shopping malls, Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva himself stepped in to help. The closer the election day draws near, the more key leaders will step up efforts to help Sukhumbhand in all areas.

Another card the Democrat may unveil to improve Sukhumbhand's situation is to announce a team of deputy governors.

Democrat leaders still believe its network of Bangkok and district councillors and Sukhumbhand's ability to continue his work, plus his realistic policies will help him gain momentum.

The party will also focus more on living conditions and life security, such as taking care of the elderly, and launching mass transit lines to deal with traffic problems caused by the central government's first-car policy.

These are strategies that the party will use all-out to help the former governor recapture his seat as the party has more than the seat of Bangkok seat at stake. If Sukhumbhand is beaten, it could mean that the Democrats would fail to prevent Pheu Thai from intruding into its key stronghold, Bangkok.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-04

Apart from the atrocious editing of this piece of journalism, the point is, Sukhumband has the track record as well as some noted achievements, and stands his ground against this corrupt government. PTP's candidate is simply another populist mouthpiece with empty promises. Glad to see the 'marketing team' now understand how to use his strengths in the right way. But there still are issues such as traffic management and town planning, compounded greatly by the Government and then laying blame on Bangkok governance i.e. thousands of cars added under their populist BS and then saying the Governor is mismanaging. Let's hope the votes reflect rejection of populist politicians.

While that may be true, the dems are doing precisely what they did back in the prime minister elections -- NOTHING. Their ad campaign is crap and they aren't extolling all the good deeds they've done. People in this country forget oh so easily. It's part of their upbringing that makes them such upstanding voters. The dems are being arrogant pricks thinking they're going to automatically win. They screwed up the PM race, and now they're screwing up the BKK race.

Apart from the atrocious editing of this piece of journalism, the point is, Sukhumband has the track record as well as some noted achievements, and stands his ground against this corrupt government. PTP's candidate is simply another populist mouthpiece with empty promises. Glad to see the 'marketing team' now understand how to use his strengths in the right way. But there still are issues such as traffic management and town planning, compounded greatly by the Government and then laying blame on Bangkok governance i.e. thousands of cars added under their populist BS and then saying the Governor is mismanaging. Let's hope the votes reflect rejection of populist politicians.

Populist he maybe. But he going to win. Maybe the Dems should trying being popular.

• Like 1

A bit unfair to have the PM standing next to the Pheu Thai candidate as in "this candidate has 'our' approval and full coopration for the good of all and you Bangkok people as well". Bangkok people might be tempted to be somewhat pragmatic. Mind you, that could give problems when the choosen candidate cannot deliver ermm.gif

While that may be true, the dems are doing precisely what they did back in the prime minister elections -- NOTHING. Their ad campaign is crap and they aren't extolling all the good deeds they've done. People in this country forget oh so easily. It's part of their upbringing that makes them such upstanding voters. The dems are being arrogant pricks thinking they're going to automatically win. They screwed up the PM race, and now they're screwing up the BKK race.

Well on the PM election the dems screwed up when they were in power. A lot of strong supporter didn't go for the vote or voted no. That cost them a lot.....

Can you outline his noted achievements?

The Dems and Sukhumband really need to up their PR teams to be able to compete. There is no point complaining about the machinations of the PTP's campaign, they have to bring in some innovative thinkers to start driving their campaigns properly. Its this lackadaisical attitude and seemingly their belief of their divine right to win elections which in my opinion has in part got to shoulder some of the blame for PTP being as strong as they are now.

• Like 1

I particularly loved this bit "When the campaign moved to shopping malls, Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva himself stepped in to help."

Of course we all know the love affair he has with shopping malls, he's more than willing to spill blood to protect them, as long as it's not his.........

Well, my dear mutt, didn't take you long to move from the topic, now did it? I'm perfectly willing to discuss with you the not-so-peaceful protests/riot/terror in March - May 2010 (would only be the second or third time this year rolleyes.gif ) Still, not in this topic.

Here we discuss the Democrats supporting their candicate for Bangkok Governor, just like the Pheu Thai party support their candidate. The difference (of course) is that k. Abhisit is party leader and Ms. Yingluck is not. Ms. Yingluck is the real PM representing all Thais. Therefor I for one see it as a bit of 'faux pas' to have PM Yingluck showing off her candidate, and don't think there's a problem with k. Abhisit showing off his candidate. IMHO that is wai.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

Far be it from me to even suggest a little collusion on the EC/Democrat front in the General Election but wasn't there some new rule brought in about having to register with their home town once and then have to go back again a week or so later for the actual election vote because postal voting wasn't allowed. Thus disenfranchising a large amount of upcountry traditionally PTP voters (working in Bangkok and environs) who couldn't either afford it or get / afford the time off work to do so? Maybe the dems are hoping for the same thing in the democrat vote or that those PTP voters who work/live in Bangkok are still registered in their home towns and thus ineligible to vote in the Governor elections. I could be wrong but wouldn't put it past the democrats to do such a thing.

"wasn't there some new rule brought in about having to register with their home town once and then have to go back again a week or so later for the actual election vote"

No.

Either way,.when the votes are counted, it would appear that bangkok is quite a small town. The total registered constituents is maybe 50% of the adult population.

Please feel free to correct me if i am wrong, but i just remember this as a figure from a while ago.

Far be it from me to even suggest a little collusion on the EC/Democrat front in the General Election but wasn't there some new rule brought in about having to register with their home town once and then have to go back again a week or so later for the actual election vote because postal voting wasn't allowed. Thus disenfranchising a large amount of upcountry traditionally PTP voters (working in Bangkok and environs) who couldn't either afford it or get / afford the time off work to do so? Maybe the dems are hoping for the same thing in the democrat vote or that those PTP voters who work/live in Bangkok are still registered in their home towns and thus ineligible to vote in the Governor elections. I could be wrong but wouldn't put it past the democrats to do such a thing.

"wasn't there some new rule brought in about having to register with their home town once and then have to go back again a week or so later for the actual election vote"

No.

Either way,.when the votes are counted, it would appear that bangkok is quite a small town. The total registered constituents is maybe 50% of the adult population.

Please feel free to correct me if i am wrong, but i just remember this as a figure from a while ago.

In the 2009 election, there were 4,150,000 registered voters of which 2,120,000 voted.

Can you outline his noted achievements?

The Dems and Sukhumband really need to up their PR teams to be able to compete. There is no point complaining about the machinations of the PTP's campaign, they have to bring in some innovative thinkers to start driving their campaigns properly. Its this lackadaisical attitude and seemingly their belief of their divine right to win elections which in my opinion has in part got to shoulder some of the blame for PTP being as strong as they are now.

Sukhumbands achievements:

1) No corruption

2) at the flooding the city Bangkok and Democrats were the only one who helped, sometimes even against the government. And that I can judge because I was in the middle of it...

Sukhumbands achievements:

1) No corruption

2) at the flooding the city Bangkok and Democrats were the only one who helped, sometimes even against the government. And that I can judge because I was in the middle of it...

"No corruption"

:cheesy:

Surely you're not that naive.

• Like 1

A bit unfair to have the PM standing next to the Pheu Thai candidate as in "this candidate has 'our' approval and full coopration for the good of all and you Bangkok people as well".

Don't be silly.It's entirely normal and expected that a PM should strongly back a party member campaigning for mayor in a nation's capital city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17736705

A bit unfair to have the PM standing next to the Pheu Thai candidate as in "this candidate has 'our' approval and full coopration for the good of all and you Bangkok people as well".

Don't be silly.It's entirely normal and expected that a PM should strongly back a party member campaigning for mayor in a nation's capital city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-17736705

But that party member only became a party member 1 day before running :blink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-17736705

But that party member only became a party member 1 day before running blink.png

The law, inconvenient sometimes, but the law. What can one do? Mind you, the Pheu Thai candidate is known to associate with known criminals and fugitives. At least jayboy wrote so (in a different topic), so it must be true. Now that, the known association that is, might not be common in good, old England. Some told me however, that lots of (business) people in the city (of London) are criminals. Maybe jayboy is on the right track after all wink.png

Edited by rubl

"... The theme also highlighted that Sukhumbhand would counter the national government's power for the sake of Bangkokians. The Democrats focused on this aspect after it saw that the "seamless cooperation" theme helped to boost Pongsapat's popularity..."

I personally would prefer to vote for the candidate who says he wants to work hand in hand with the government, rather than for the one who openly says that he will counter the government's power. Awkward strategy...

In my opinion there is no way that Sukhumbhand can win this election.

• Like 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-17736705

The law, inconvenient sometimes, but the law. What can one do? Mind you, the Pheu Thai candidate is known to associate with known criminals and fugitives. At least jayboy wrote so (in a different topic), so it must be true. Now that, the known association that is, might not be common in good, old England. Some told me however, that lots of (business) people in the city (of London) are criminals. Maybe jayboy is on the right track after all wink.png

I have no idea what this is all about.Back to the point, it is entirely normal that the PM provides support to her party's mayoral candidate.

Basically the bangkok middle and upper class better get out and support Sukhumbhand or once again another fake .all promises,smiling peau thai deception on the gullible will slip into power as yingluck did.

Democrats have strong lower income group support in Bangkok.Without this Sukhumband could never have won.There simply aren't enough upper class and middle class voters.In any event PTP has very strong support from the aspiring lower middle class.But whoever wins must attract lower income

votes in large numbers.

Your recipe sounds very much like that of Governor Romney, ie depending on groups that cannot by themselves win the election thus allowing Obama to "slip by" using your rather foolish expression.

Basically the bangkok middle and upper class better get out and support Sukhumbhand or once again another fake .all promises,smiling peau thai deception on the gullible will slip into power as yingluck did.

Democrats have strong lower income group support in Bangkok.Without this Sukhumband could never have won.There simply aren't enough upper class and middle class voters.In any event PTP has very strong support from the aspiring lower middle class.But whoever wins must attract lower income

votes in large numbers.

Your recipe sounds very much like that of Governor Romney, ie depending on groups that cannot by themselves win the election thus allowing Obama to "slip by" using your rather foolish expression.

Oh dear .cant read? There still needs to be big turnout from middle and upper class and you have this "lower middle class"who you suggest will support the PTP placeman.one wonders what they aspire to supporting Pong.

The Romney comment displays who is ignorant and foolish.

votes in large numbers.

Oh dear .cant read? There still needs to be big turnout from middle and upper class and you have this "lower middle class"who you suggest will support the PTP placeman.one wonders what they aspire to supporting Pong.

Yes that mysterious lower middle class that puzzles you so much, the group that every aspiring Thai political party must win over to win power - and it's growing all the time.

I would thought the Romney analogy was absolutely on the money.You deny it but appear to lack the wit to explain why.

votes in large numbers.

Yes that mysterious lower middle class that puzzles you so much, the group that every aspiring Thai political party must win over to win power - and it's growing all the time.

I would thought the Romney analogy was absolutely on the money.You deny it but appear to lack the wit to explain why.

What is the income range for lower middle class??

I have no idea what this is all about.Back to the point, it is entirely normal that the PM provides support to her party's mayoral candidate.

Sometimes a bit dense by choice, I think dear jayboy. The 'level of support' given by the Thai PM reminding people that a choice for her candidate is a choice for Thailand with Bangkok better integrated and profiting from (Pheu Thai led) government measures which no other candidate can even hope to offer. Not as explicite as a previous PM (who just happen to have the same family name) who clearly said 'if you're not voting for me, you are against me and you'll feel sorry for yourself'. Obviously not only does every other PM elsewhere do the same, but Thailand leads in this as the hub of 'political incorrectness'.

votes in large numbers.

What is the income range for lower middle class??

As jayboy was talking about the "aspiring lower middle class", he might means those who are just above the 300B/day, 15000B/month level. Mind you I'm originally from the Netherlands, we don't have a clear class system as the one jayboy seems familiar with, the English version I guess. Clearly you must have studied to be able to put people in their correct entry of the class system. wink.png

votes in large numbers.

I leave the Romney fellow americans "wit"to the inhabitants or descendents of the country