Best Pub Food

Falcon01

If we are talking about Bangkok, the Black Swan is hands down the most-pub like in both food and atmosphere.

the fish and chips are MASSIVE as ar most portions. I have never had a bad meal there.

http://www.blackswanbkk.com/food.htm

Does this place have any real ales?

Define "real"

Real ale is unfiltered and unpasturised. It is also known as cask ale, as it always remains in a cask. If you see the waitress having to 'pull at the tap' multiple times while pouring your pint (excuse the innuendo), rather than just pulling it down once and leaving it there, then it's a real ale!

I can just imagine drinking a pint of cask-conditioned, unfiltered, unpasteurised British beer after its sea journey from that many-sceptred isle. Maybe not the whole pint. But I can't imagine being able to keep it down. Not from my limited knowledge of microbiology.

Pasteurised, kegged ale was what made the Scottish brewers (later to become Scottish Brewers Limited) great - at one time in the late 19th century every beer drunk by a British soldier serving abroad was brewed in Scotland. Struggling for capacity, Messrs Younger and McEwan said "We could brew this pish anywhere" and the McEwans yellow-label 80/- "Scotch Bitter" was born under Scottish and Newcastle Breweries - and Younger & McEwan discovered that the initial premise had been entirely wrong, and no matter how bad a beer Tartan Special might be considered, you could always get worse.

India Pale Ale in a can, "McEwans Export" was their apology to the serving soldier, an attempt to deliver a consistent product, from wherever it was brewed, to wherever it was drunk, whether behind the bike sheds in Dalry or the bleakest North-West Frontier outpost in Tuen Mun.

SC

* The above could well be true, in parts, but no worse a story for that

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are talking about Bangkok, the Black Swan is hands down the most-pub like in both food and atmosphere.

the fish and chips are MASSIVE as ar most portions. I have never had a bad meal there.

Define "real"

Real ale is unfiltered and unpasturised. It is also known as cask ale, as it always remains in a cask. If you see the waitress having to 'pull at the tap' multiple times while pouring your pint (excuse the innuendo), rather than just pulling it down once and leaving it there, then it's a real ale!

I can just imagine drinking a pint of cask-conditioned, unfiltered, unpasteurised British beer after its sea journey from that many-sceptred isle. Maybe not the whole pint. But I can't imagine being able to keep it down. Not from my limited knowledge of microbiology.

Pasteurised, kegged ale was what made the Scottish brewers (later to become Scottish Brewers Limited) great - at one time in the late 19th century every beer drunk by a British soldier serving abroad was brewed in Scotland. Struggling for capacity, Messrs Younger and McEwan said "We could brew this pish anywhere" and the McEwans yellow-label 80/- "Scotch Bitter" was born under Scottish and Newcastle Breweries - and Younger & McEwan discovered that the initial premise had been entirely wrong, and no matter how bad a beer Tartan Special might be considered, you could always get worse.

India Pale Ale in a can, "McEwans Export" was their apology to the serving soldier, an attempt to deliver a consistent product, from wherever it was brewed, to wherever it was drunk, whether behind the bike sheds in Dalry or the bleakest North-West Frontier outpost in Tuen Mun.

SC

The taste is divine and British beers use the best hops and malts.

Define "real"

SC

The taste is divine and British beers use the best hops and malts.

After the voyage from Masham, W. Yorks. to Samutprakarn docks, it could be made from Andrew's liver salts and milk of magnesia and it would still come up quicker than it went down.

But in the interests of staying on topic, amongst the best pub food I had was the Scotch Eggs in JBs, Shi Da Road - not so convenient for Thai residents, but probably the outstanding feature of Ian's scotch eggs was the Belhaven Stout with which they were washed down

SC

I would second that but boy, do they get some bad reviews on Tripadvisor. Mostly to do with the unfriendliness and lack of attention of the staff. With that, I would agree. Last time I was there, I had to go to the bar every time I wanted a beer as the staff were too busy chatting.

If the owner could get that sorted out, it would really be an ace place.

I would second that but boy, do they get some bad reviews on Tripadvisor. Mostly to do with the unfriendliness and lack of attention of the staff. With that, I would agree. Last time I was there, I had to go to the bar every time I wanted a beer as the staff were too busy chatting.

I third it.

The black swan is like a sanctuary of sorts, you go in when you are alone and want to just relax with food and something to read. i love the dark atmosphere and the wood everything...feels homely, shiply, britishy. ive always liked the food and the bathroom upstairs, if you survive the harrowing walk up the winding staircase, is exceptionally clean. The waitresses do lack customer service skills.

• Like 1

I third it.

The black swan is like a sanctuary of sorts, you go in when you are alone and want to just relax with food and something to read. i love the dark atmosphere and the wood everything...feels homely, shiply, britishy. ive always liked the food and the bathroom upstairs, if you survive the harrowing walk up the winding staircase, is exceptionally clean. The waitresses do lack customer service skills.

Going up the stairs is one thing. It is the coming back down that is scary. Especially after 5 pints of IPA....

• Like 1

No one mentioned the Queen Vic on Soi 23 has it gone downhill ? I enjoyed their Breaky before i lnow the owner had a face like a twisted boot and the staff never seem to smile but it seemed okay for a few pints.

I'm in the mood for a night out and posted in the BKK forum if Toby Jug on soi 50 was still open, after reading these I think it will be the Black Swan

@Rinrada

Soi 50...so that's where the Toby Jug is/was ...is it still.

Used to go quite a lot when it was in Silom and Paddy pubs were only a gleam in an Irishmans eyes.

He had a doubled fronted shop to begin with but suppose due to trade cut it down to single unit.

Steak and chips were always OK and the pub was nice enough to hide away for awhile from the madness that was Silom on a Friday night....before the Sky Train came along.

Bobbys in the car park ,,,Pats place..... always did good nosh but now its just another sad hang up gin joint.

Would agree about the Mucky Duck ..good .big portions but see the size of most of their customers...Yai...One meal would keep me going for 2 weeks.

Monday night promo Heinee @100 bt is ...dee mak.....

@Rinrada

I'd never been to Toby Jub...but I'd heard about it and wanted to go.

So lately, I had time to spare in the Soi 50 neighborhood, and went looking. Couldn't find it.

Walked all the way from Tesco at the main corner of Suk Road all the way up the soi to where the expressway crosses over, and didn't see anything.

Is it gone, or hiding in plain sight?

I was at a bit of a disadvantage because I didn't know exactly what or where I was supposed to be looking.

@Rinrada

I'd never been to Toby Jub...but I'd heard about it and wanted to go.

So lately, I had time to spare in the Soi 50 neighborhood, and went looking. Couldn't find it.

Walked all the way from Tesco at the main corner of Suk Road all the way up the soi to where the expressway crosses over, and didn't see anything.

Is it gone, or hiding in plain sight?

I was at a bit of a disadvantage because I didn't know exactly what or where I was supposed to be looking.

Maybe you did not go quite far enough.

It's literally under the Expressway where it crosses Soi 50, in a detached house on the main road - on the left as you come from Sukhumvit.

Not at all sure if it's still open though!

Patrick

Toby Jug in the BKK forum one poster says still open and the other says closed for over a year.

Had a hard time finding it the first time as well, when you are under the expressway coming from Tesco there is a tiny soi on the left with 3 houses on it and Toby jug is in the middle, it has a Call box in the garden the place is/ was really nice.

I'm determined to find out if it's still in operation and will head up there sometime this week and report back, I looked quickly for a phone number but couldn't find anything.

Just did a search on the "Jug" and found a couple of things ...First shows it at Soi %0 and under the expressway as discussed (with map)

The Second is a short u-tube thing someones posted from ....1980.....inside the pub....

Unfortunately my DTAC aircard is too slow for UT Vids but will watch it asap...

Can you remember Silom Rd in 1980...

No Skytrain,Very few Taxis,Not a lot of Air Con and the only beer was bottled Sing.Klosters and draft Amarit at about 10 bt a throw.....

anyways looks interesting albeit a bit dated....

Might be back down in Bangkok end of next week so may try and get down that way.Soi 50 KT under the ...etc..for old time sakes...whether open or shut...

https://foursquare.com/v/toby-jug-british-restaurant/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rrFWWk0YcM

Personally I find the food on offer at Bradman's bar on Soi 23 (right hand side entering from Suk about 100 meters into the soi), to be nothing short of excellent, I have never had a bad meal there and the menu is extensive. Thomas is a great host and the regular customers there always welcome new customers. Smoking is only on the front patio area where there is also a large flat screen TV displaying the sport of the day. Staff are attentive and the bills are never padded.

Personally I find the food on offer at Bradman's bar on Soi 23 (right hand side entering from Suk about 100 meters into the soi), to be nothing short of excellent, I have never had a bad meal there and the menu is extensive. Thomas is a great host and the regular customers there always welcome new customers. Smoking is only on the front patio area where there is also a large flat screen TV displaying the sport of the day. Staff are attentive and the bills are never padded.

+1 their pie and chips was really good

+1 their pie and chips was really good

No one mentioned the Queen Vic on Soi 23 has it gone downhill ? I enjoyed their Breaky before i lnow the owner had a face like a twisted boot and the staff never seem to smile but it seemed okay for a few pints.

I'm in the mood for a night out and posted in the BKK forum if Toby Jug on soi 50 was still open, after reading these I think it will be the Black Swan

I had the best Chritmas dinner ever in there (don't tell me mother), but was in for the roast beef a few months back - it was fatty n chewy and the yorkshire pud was soggy - not nice at all!

And i don't care much for some of the staff in there (i suppose it comes with the location whistling.gif)

post-13-0-21798800-1374905079_thumb.jpgpost-13-0-54059600-1374905281_thumb.jpg

Fellow "Juggers"...took a wander down Soi 50 the other night and found the old/new Toby Jug but looks like its days are over.

Its built on the front of a house just under the flyover but rather dark and "eery"

Place next door has a couple of guards dogs that I would prefer not to try and make friends with...unless you have an ak or summit.

Anyway looks like the end of another old symbol that was one of Bangkok original gin joints...last orders

attachicon.gif2013-07-25 19.51.36.jpgattachicon.gif2013-07-25 19.51.48.jpg

Fellow "Juggers"...took a wander down Soi 50 the other night and found the old/new Toby Jug but looks like its days are over.

Its built on the front of a house just under the flyover but rather dark and "eery"

Place next door has a couple of guards dogs that I would prefer not to try and make friends with...unless you have an ak or summit.

Anyway looks like the end of another old symbol that was one of Bangkok original gin joints...last orders

Thank you kindly for the update (sad) you saved me a trip.