Best Pub Food

Falcon01

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might want to specify a geographical restriction.

I really enjoyed my haggis neeps and tatties in Bennett's last time I was back, and Sid's sausages are tops. I've never really had pub food in Bangkok to write home about, though I'll go to Soi 7 Beer bar at lunch time for the tarts

SC

• Like 1

Around Phrong Ponng- The Londoner on suk soi 33- very good food, and surprisingly good Thai food. The dubliner used to have a fantastic fish pie which they had taken off the menu last time i checked. The royal oak- great new chicken wings with a dry rub spicy coating- delicious.

Around Phrong Ponng- The Londoner on suk soi 33- very good food, and surprisingly good Thai food. The dubliner used to have a fantastic fish pie which they had taken off the menu last time i checked. The royal oak- great new chicken wings with a dry rub spicy coating- delicious.

Thanks. That is exactly the type feedback I was looking for.

I used to like the fish and chips at Toby Jug

Had the tastiest steak & kydney pie of my life at the Toby Jug about 25yrs ago, just made it back to my g/h before my bum exploded in one of the worst sessions of the squirts I've ever had. Hope they've improved their hygiene.

Went to Hanrahan's Irish pub, Soi 4. Last night. Nice people watching. Friendly service. Happy hour prices seemed fair enough. Liked the cottage pie and chicken wings. Took awhile for the food to be served, but to be fair, it was crowded. Very cute Tiger Beer Girl. Waitresses smiled a lot and took the time to answer questions.

Had the tastiest steak & kydney pie of my life at the Toby Jug about 25yrs ago, just made it back to my g/h before my bum exploded in one of the worst sessions of the squirts I've ever had. Hope they've improved their hygiene.

Have you eaten out a little more recently?

Have you eaten out a little more recently?

I doubt it; not after that experience. My last vigorous vomiting experience, bar one, was a steak and kidney pie; specifically a Fray Bentos steak pie, thirty years ago. Sadly irrelevant, as it was home-cooked.

Anyway, we'd been for an afternoon curry session in Carnages, and a massage after, prior to the rugby in Delaneys. I went for some fishball noodles, which came up about mid-way through the first half, shortly after I'd stepped outside to sit on a fire hydrant and get a breath of fresh air. Anyway, I had a bottle of water, and went home, and in retrospect, it could've been a lot worse; I could've seen the whole match.

SC

• Like 1

Poor experience at the Robinhood Pub last night. Good music and atmosphere. Friendly welcome. Should have stuck just with a beer, which was very good. Burger tasted awful. Came on a small bun that you had to cut into quarters to hold and eat without a mess. Meat had a very strange, lingering taste. Fries over-cooked. Informed the waitress, and she took it back to the kitchen without a word. Nobody came over and asked if I wanted something else or what was wrong with the burger. Bill came with the burger charge. I calmly asked for it to be taken off. Waitress took the bill away without a word. Silence when the revised bill came back and when I left. Disappointing to say the least. The pub was not crowded and there was plenty of staff. I guess they are used to people sending food back or leaving it on the plate.

the robin hood is the singularly most soulless McPub in town.

I quite like it, because it's conveniently on the corner of the main road, they sell beer, and there's plenty of TVs showing different sports, so you're not stuck with Bloody Premier League. It's quite easy to find.

SC

I quite like it, because it's conveniently on the corner of the main road, they sell beer, and there's plenty of TVs showing different sports, so you're not stuck with Bloody Premier League. It's quite easy to find.

SC

The Thai food is pretty good in there. Not tried the Western stuff...thankfully it seems!

Spent a few hours last night at the Huntsman pub. Friendly welcome and attentive service. Filipino band was pretty good. Did not try the food, but many other customers were ordering up a storm. Fairly crowded. Looked to be a mix between locals and hotel guests. Smoking area out front. A couple of free lancers at the bar, but they did not bother anybody. Lots of folks dancing. Will go again, mostly for the music.

SC

The Thai food is pretty good in there. Not tried the Western stuff...thankfully it seems!

I also like a pub with a mezzanine. Probably my favourite pub with a mezzanine, bar the long-gone place opposite Sandy Bells on Forrest Hill Road that used to be a second hand record shop, was the bar in the lobby of Parkview Square, which used to have a three-piece blues jazz combo on top of one island bar, and a wine fairy at the other, if my recollection serves me correctly. Reading that again, that seems unlikely, and my vision may have been impaired, since, as I recall, the beer prices were eye-watering. I never dared try the food there, though, but they served nuts with the beer

SC

Watch you don't get sued.

Poor experience at the Robinhood Pub last night. Good music and atmosphere. Friendly welcome. Should have stuck just with a beer, which was very good. Burger tasted awful. Came on a small bun that you had to cut into quarters to hold and eat without a mess. Meat had a very strange, lingering taste. Fries over-cooked. Informed the waitress, and she took it back to the kitchen without a word. Nobody came over and asked if I wanted something else or what was wrong with the burger. Bill came with the burger charge. I calmly asked for it to be taken off. Waitress took the bill away without a word. Silence when the revised bill came back and when I left. Disappointing to say the least. The pub was not crowded and there was plenty of staff. I guess they are used to people sending food back or leaving it on the plate.

Is it OK to quote negative things about busineses on Thaivisa? I thought it wasn't.

I have always liked the Huntsman Pub (in the basement of the Landmark Hotel), good food - Fish and Chips is always good - and the Draft Guinness is among the best in Bangkok.

The place is especially nice now they have instituted a non-smoking policy throughout.

Never really liked the Londoner - a bit too "barnlike", and the claque of Farang sitting at the bar just inside the door can be a pain.

Food is good but their home brewed London Pride "ale" is, to me, perfumed and undrinkable.

The Black Swan, under the Asoke BTS Station is good and I would be a Regular if they started to accept AMEX!

Very dark in there too though - so watch out for the step down immediately you enter from Sukhumvit, followed by a step up a few meters later to get to the Booths - both of which you encounter well before your eyes get accustomed to the dimness in there!

The Toby Jug used to be a favourite but they moved some years ago to Sukhumvit Soi 50 - just under the Expressway - so have not been for quite a while. Owner is a very friendly Thai with lots of overseas experience.

Has anyone an opinion on "The Penalty Spot" - between Sukhumvit 29 and 31 I think - it's near where I live so might become a favourite too?

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

Falcon, thanks for the little updates on the various pubs you have been, its nice to read for the people who don't get out as much as they used to, keep it up if you can!

regarding Penalty Spot, Ive walked in a couple times to play pool and have a quick drink. Never tried the food. Staff are very friendly, atmosphere is ok, pool tables upstairs. Bunch of tvs everywhere showing everything. place for a band, but not sure when they play.

Ive always enjoyed the food at Bradmans near soi cowboy on 23. Good western mix, great bangers n mash.

Food wise I like the new Menu at Bullys. Added some alright Mexican food (never as good as Chiang Mai). But for overall good stuff I like the Game on Sukhumvit close to soi 9. Real Buffalo sauce is something a crave on my wings sometime!

The Londoners Sunday buffet is very good.