Caltex 95 Gold

Sojourner

We've been watching all the majors taking 91 gasoline (benzene) off the market lately. Now by surprise Caltex has added 95 Gold on top of their 91 and 95 gasohol. I asked one of the kids doing the pumping if it was benzene or gasohol and he said benzene. The price...47.9 baht per liter. Ouch! Anyone with confirmation this is truly gasoline?

My local Caltex was suddenly out of Benzine 91 and it was replaced with this 95 gold stuff. They said it was benzine, but at 47.9, it feels a little more like extortion.

I have an awesome fuel map for my ER. It develops maximum power without knock in the power ranges of TP and RPM and gives great fuel economy in the cruise ranges. Since benzine and gasohol have completely different optimum AFR's, I guess I will have to remap the system to gasohol if I don't want to break the bank.

This is one thing not much discussed in the benzine vs. gasohol debate. While a machine may run on both, they have different optimum air-to-fuel ratios, and factory ECU settings usually just split the difference, which is the reason one can get such great improvement by adding a programmable after market fuel injection control unit like the Power Commander V. Only then can you tailor the AFR to the exact fuel you use.