Decent Dress Code

I went to renew my 90 day permission to stay this week in Jomtien, the place was packed, I would say less than 1% had on long pants, or had bothered to make an effort from their normal attire. I felt out of place wearing long pants. Its always the same

Yeah but I for one certainly don't want to be associated with some of the assorted scruffy low-rent destitute-looking dross that rolls up at immi when I do my extension.

Edited by mca
  • Like 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This isn't about a visa run (to the border) if I understand the OP correctly, it's about going to the immigration office to get an extension of stay.

If you visit the authorities (in Thailand as well as other countries) it is recommend to wear polite dress. There is no law about it, but showing some basic respect to government officials makes things easier everywhere in the world. Yes, I can believe the report that many people who went to Pattaya immigration came in shorts and flip-flops, but do you really think that helps matters?

• Like 1

I wonder what the transgender people wear? A delightful chiffon, or a pleasing pattern?

In respect to the ladies, if they wear a dress, are they obliged to shave their legs? There was a girl in one of my classes that was anti shaving and she'd show up to class in shorts with legs hairier than most guys.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

There is, I believe, a forum section where you can ask such questions.

Poipet recently has a good few back-packers coming through who certainly are not wearing nice shirts and slacks etc but it's obvoius they are going to be on holiday in Thailand, not living here. If you are living here why not wear a clean shirt or polo shirt and a pair of lightweight slacks, if you show some respect then there is fair chance you will get shown a little bit yourself, like being waved over to the Thai passport lane instead of waiting in the line you're in. A smile and a 'thank you' is all that's required after.

Echoes of those old "What do you call a scouser.." jokes -

What do you call a shaven-head tattoed sexpat in a suit? - the Visa Applicant.

Unfortunately, it's getting more and more like this at CW.

Maybe Immi should take a leaf out of Basil Fawlty's book and put up a "No riff-raff" sign!!

whistling.gif I wear the same thing to 90 day reportng that I do every day.

A pair of long pants and a short sleeve shirt.

The reason is that i had an accident about 6 years ago that left scars on my right leg.

I'm not ashamed of it, but it does look obviouly scarred.

So just to avoid answering dumb questions about "So what happened to your leg?" I always wear long pants.

A short sleeve shirt is my normal wear.

And I alwys wear shoes and socks, not flip flops, when I go out ... simply because I also have some problems with that right leg caused by that accident .... and I feel more comfortable and stable with shoes than flip flops.

But I wear flip flops around the house .... just won't wear them on stairways or escalators when outside the house.

So I just wear my everyday "outside" the house clothes to immigration also.

I think that, when going to such places, as long as your clothes are not worn out and you pay attention to personal hygiene, for example the combination of a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops should be fine.

I think personal hygiene is probably more important than how you are dressed.

I have suffered more than once standing next to somebody in long pants and shirt that stunk to high hell.

• Like 1

I think that, when going to such places, as long as your clothes are not worn out and you pay attention to personal hygiene, for example the combination of a t-shirt, shorts and flip flops should be fine.

I think personal hygiene is probably more important than how you are dressed.

I have suffered more than once standing next to somebody in long pants and shirt that stunk to high hell.

:)

I totally agree.

Shorts and flip-flops are fine on the beach. This topic is about meeting government officals.

• Like 2

Shorts and flip-flops are fine on the beach. This topic is about meeting government officals.

I think shorts and flip-flops are totally overdressed for the beach, but as JJ suggested, fine for visiting your immigration office, or doing a visa run.

But my opinion is formed by the standards I grew up with in my home country. They are reinforced by what I have observed (in immigration and other government offices) in Thailand, together with a consideration of the climate here.

I've had occasion to be in the waiting room at the U.S. Consulate in CM on days when Thai citizens come for appointments to apply for visas to the U.S. They sure don't come in shorts & flip-flops! Their dress -- neat business clothes -- should be a clue as to what they consider appropriate dress for doing business in the office of a foreign government.

• Like 2

dress-code.jpg

Hey where did you get my college picture from? :D

I recently went on a visa run to cambodia in shorts, polo and slippers. I had no problems and most of the people were dressed WAY worse than i was.

But if you can stand to be in pants, i say do it. Why risk it?

PS, how do Thai's do long pants in TL?

I'm also giving up cotton in TL. The way i sweat, its gross.

Sorry for the ramblings :)

I think shorts and flip-flops are totally overdressed for the beach

Certainly for nudist beaches they might be!

I've had occasion to be in the waiting room at the U.S. Consulate in CM on days when Thai citizens come for appointments to apply for visas to the U.S. They sure don't come in shorts & flip-flops! Their dress -- neat business clothes -- should be a clue as to what they consider appropriate dress for doing business in the office of a foreign government.

Similar experience when the wife & I visited Regent House in Bangkok to apply for a UK visitor's visa for her in 2009. The Thai applicants were all neatly dressed - in stark contrast to the sloppy attire worn by their farang companions (Yours Truly being a notable exception of course).

I think shorts and flip-flops are totally overdressed for the beach, but as JJ suggested, fine for visiting your immigration office, or doing a visa run.

But my opinion is formed by the standards I grew up with in my home country. They are reinforced by what I have observed (in immigration and other government offices) in Thailand, together with a consideration of the climate here.

I have seen more people in proper attire in government offices than people in shorts and flip-flops. This is true for Thailand as well as any other country where I had to visit government offices.

Come on, are your personal standards really benchmarked against the lowest standard in your home country? And do you really totally ignore the fact that you are a guest here, and should follow acceptable (not lowest possible) standards here?

• Like 1

Total rolox. In your home country you can have hot weather, but you don't wear beach wear do you to meet officialdom during those hot spells. coffee1.gif

Total rolox. In your home country you can have hot weather, but you don't wear beach wear do you to meet officialdom during those hot spells. coffee1.gif

Too much coffee?

The answer is yes.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't about a visa run (to the border) if I understand the OP correctly, it's about going to the immigration office to get an extension of stay.

If you visit the authorities (in Thailand as well as other countries) it is recommend to wear polite dress. There is no law about it, but showing some basic respect to government officials makes things easier everywhere in the world. Yes, I can believe the report that many people who went to Pattaya immigration came in shorts and flip-flops, but do you really think that helps matters?

I believe there is a Thai law about proper dresscode for people visiting government buildings.

I will try to find this regulation.

Phuket Immigration has a sign outside the door about proper drescode and i noticed that sometimes people are getting asked to leave if they wearing for example beach clothes. ( bikinis, tanktops etc )

Edited by merijn
  • Like 1

Another post complains about lack of appreciation for advice so I thought I'd better show some.

I wore Cargo shorts, short sleeved shirt and shoes though a lot were wearing shorts up thier ass, chang T shirt and flip-flops.

It took 1 hour to exit Thailand, do all the formalities and be back on Thai soil at Pon Nam Rein. My only critism is the lack of info regarding what to expect at the border like where to go and wait etc but that was the fault of Five Star and it's non-English speaking driver.

How would you turn up at the authorities in your own homecountry?

There isn't a dress code for visiting authorities in the UK. You can turn up dressed however you want. Don't know why grown men have to come on here asking for advice on how to dress. How did you manage to get through life?

But in UK nobody gives a shit about anything, in LOS ''YOU'' are expected to be the superior being that the natives here think you are.

PS. That last bit is from my Thai wife. smile.png

I saw a guy last night, army issue camouflage trousers with heavy duty boots to match, wide belt with all the trimmings, T-shirt with "ARMY" in bold lettering, just in case you were not sure, and topped off with a reverse baseball cap.

Sorry he looked a right plonker