Maximum Sentence

Mosha

We have just had my sister in law here. My wife's only full sibling. A nephew by an half brother is currently locked up with a friend. They are being charged with rape, The nephew is in his early 20s. His dad his going round the family looking for bail guarantors, but he has not been a great example as a father. My gut feeling tells me the young man his guilty. My sister in law will not help, and I've told my wife, if they ask here, the answer is no. What sentence can he expect if found guilty? That's if they don't sell land to pay compensation.

...That's if they don't sell land to pay compensation...

Here we have a point to look at... if the land to sell is still owned by one of the common parents from your wife and the half brother your wife should make sure that only the half brother's share is sold...

This is not looking good.

If the family are persons of little wealth, cannot afford a reputable lawyer who maybe have a few tricks up his sleeve, or be able to negotiate with the alleged victim, then the lads are at the mercy of the police and the courts.

I have no doubts that sometime along the way, the family will approach you (the rich farang brother-in-law) for some financial help. This has to be left up to your own discretion, but personally, if it were me, I would cry poverty, the $ and the £ no good, so unfortunately I am unable to help.

Unless these boys can acquire access to a good lawyer, or money to pay off the girl and her family for their apparent pain and suffering or be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they are innocent, then the chances are that they’ll have the book thrown at them.

This is the system in Thailand.

Wishing your family good luck and hope you get a desired result, for what is going to be a nightmare.

...That's if they don't sell land to pay compensation...

Here we have a point to look at... if the land to sell is still owned by one of the common parents from your wife and the half brother your wife should make sure that only the half brother's share is sold...

Lucky only 2 daughter, may be a chance that the land aint hocked already ( usually hand title over for 100,000 )

& i bet your bottom dollar they will go where the money is YOUR GIRLFRIEND / WIFE (hope she stcks with sister)

This reminds me of my family (as in finding money), So your wife will be pressured by MUM (inwhich my MIL decided to give her son money i lent her & not pay me back )

KEEP an eye an all assets that can be hocked , you may get a surprise

• Like 1

The whole bunch up there are yobs. My wife and her sister are decent people. The issue fathered by her step father, are a different matter, They only come here to beg money from my wife. All smiles until they learn she isn't in. Then scowls and bottom lips out. The only one that works, is my Mother-in law. and she's nearly 80. Any money the acquire goes on booze and fags. As I said in my OP I'm not helping him..

Ex's brother in law shot and killed a neighbour and was out in 3. Made up a story he was beating his mum, didn't spend money on a good lawyer but a fresh out of Uni type trying to make a name for himself.

Personally though I hope he gets the time he deserves.

knowledgeable posts from posters above, if a "compromise" cant be made, it will be 4+ years.

a pair of goons,from near my wife's home area, were charged in a similar way, similar process, some members of the family asking all and sundry to help with bail money, none forthcoming, so into remand and then jailed after they were convicted.

perhaps the craziest thing about the case was, the grandfathers of the rapists, came and saw my fil (ex-bib) about helping with the bail, which he refused to do, was that my brother in law and a cousin were two of the arresting officers.

She has no time for her step dad, she says he doesn't care for her mum. Most of the things I care about, re household items are too heavy to carry easily. Most of our money is tied up in long term accounts.

She has no time for her step dad, she says he doesn't care for her mum. Most of the things I care about, re household items are too heavy to carry easily. Most of our money is tied up in long term accounts.

Good luck to ya man but stay alert I haven't met a Thai girl yet who doesn't care for her mom even if they are C#%^ts

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Mosha. You said your gut feeling is the guy is guilty and he is basically a yob. Removing the emotions I have regarding the act of rape, do you think this guy would have the moral fibre, strength of character to actually attend the trial / sentencing if he was to be released on bail? Whoever puts bail money up here is running a fair risk of losing it, IMO.

• Like 1

Mosha. You said your gut feeling is the guy is guilty and he is basically a yob. Removing the emotions I have regarding the act of rape, do you think this guy would have the moral fibre, strength of character to actually attend the trial / sentencing if he was to be released on bail? Whoever puts bail money up here is running a fair risk of losing it, IMO.

IMHO? He'll run

Good luck to ya man but stay alert I haven't met a Thai girl yet who doesn't care for her mom even if they are C#%^ts

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Her mum's a diamond, the arsehoes up there (husband, son, daughter) have been pressurising her to sell for months. She has always said no up to now. I suspect this may tip the scales..

As in every country I'd say if guilty he's in a lot of trouble with a long sentence looming.

Well you don't monitor Europe....now very short sentences, and some can stay at home with this electronic thing on their leg.