Sue Plastic Surgeon?

Bruceybaby

Hi there,

5 months ago my Thai girlfriend underwent Rhinoplasty to make the bridge of her nose higher. She went to a clinic in Central World.

There are now 2 vertical indentations either side of her nose. We saw the surgeon today for the first time since the operation, and he said this problem is a result of her skin being too thin (which makes me question why he recommended to go ahead with the procedure in the first place, since skin thickness is probably the first thing they should check). The operation originally cost 100,000 Baht, and he said we would have to pay again to undergo revision therapy.

My question is, can we sue the bastard? It's a clear case of medical negligence and in the UK or America my girlfriend would definitely have a case. How does it work here? He's an arrogant character and wouldn't accept any blame, even though it's obvious he didn't shape the silicon correctly. I'd love to get my money back.

Any help greatly appreciated

Edited by Mario2008

Is he really a qualified plastic surgeon? this is the first thing you need to find out, there are a lot of cowboys around.

I can't find the name of the surgeon right now,

It's supposedly the best plastic surgery clinic in Bangkok and certainly the most expensive, I'm sure he's got the qualifications.

Edited by Mario2008
details removed

Is he on this list? If not he's probably neither a cosmetic or plastic surgeon.

http://www.surgery.o.../en/surgeon.php

Any MD can call themselves a cosmetic surgeon and it's buyer beware, you won't win.

Come to think of it you won't win even if he is on the list as his opinion will override yours.

I don't know his name and my girlfriend has gone to sleep so I cannot ask

From the sounds of it, I've got to fork out more money anyway

Unless there is a debilitating injury or death, the likelihood of compensation is negligible.

A word of caution. Refrain from any comments or written statements that can be accused of being slander or libel. You may find yourself served with a civil suit. In Thailand, it is not uncommon for such actions to be taken to intimidate aggrieved people.

If you want to explore legal redress you should consult a lawyer.

Sometimes just showing up for a meeting with a lawyer in tow works wonders. Doctors are usually eager to avoid the negative publicity of a lawsuit.

I don't see any likelihood of damages, you might be able to get the repair work done gratis. Whether you/she want to have any more surgery by this same doc is another matter.

personally I would accept the fact its a screw up, and choose to live with it or pay again. Either way court case will take ages and cost you probably more than getting it fixed, you would be cutting your nose off to spite your face . I prefer the noses as they are, bonus can look side ways and see with both eyes. www.yanhee.net maybe get second opinion from recognized hospitals. Did you check his background before going ahead. 100k seems a bit steep for a nose job. http://www.yanhee.ne...ures/Price List

Its Thailand not UK or USA.

(Augmentation Rhinoplasty) Standard Implant

20,000 THB that's Yanhee price. Dealing with doctors here you have to be thick skinned

Edited by marstons

Before you start going around bad mouthing said clinic/surgeon, remember this. Several years ago in Bangkok there was a woman who underwent plastic surgery at a VERY popular clinic. The results were not as expected and she started complaining about it to family, friends, the media, etc. Not sure if she got an attorney involved as i'm too lazy to look up the story on Google, but I'm sure you can find reference to it if you want to search yourself (maybe some here remember hearing about it).

Long story short, she was murdered and everyone pretty much knew who was responsible for it. Clinic is still open, surgeon is still working (i'm guessing), woman is dead. Something to think about before you make a decision about what to do next.

Edited by ZXM

Before you start going around bad mouthing said clinic/surgeon, remember this. Several years ago in Bangkok there was a woman who underwent plastic surgery at a VERY popular clinic. The results were not as expected and she started complaining about it to family, friends, the media, etc. Not sure if she got an attorney involved as i'm too lazy to look up the story on Google, but I'm sure you can find reference to it if you want to search yourself (maybe some here remember hearing about it).

Long story short, she was murdered and everyone pretty much knew who was responsible for it. Clinic is still open, surgeon is still working (i'm guessing), woman is dead. Something to think about before you make a decision about what to do next.

Yeah like I knew this person once, who was like murdered for like looking the wrong way at someone. It can like happen you know.

Yeah like I knew this person once, who was like murdered for like looking the wrong way at someone. It can like happen you know.

Indeed, I saw it happen in a pub in London.

• Like 1

I like that!

Joke all you want, but the story is true. It was all over the media a few years back. Look it up. And anyone who lives here knows that you don't go pissing off the higher ups (aka those with tons and tons of money, which plastic surgeons have a lot of).

Edited by ZXM

Joke all you want, but the story is true. It was all over the media a few years back. Look it up. And anyone who lives here knows that you don't go pissing off the higher ups (aka those with tons and tons of money, which plastic surgeons have a lot of).

Mate, I have heard all manner of stories at the pub...and on Thai visa.

personally I would accept the fact its a screw up, and choose to live with it or pay again. Either way court case will take ages and cost you probably more than getting it fixed, you would be cutting your nose off to spite your face . I prefer the noses as they are, bonus can look side ways and see with both eyes. www.yanhee.net maybe get second opinion from recognized hospitals. Did you check his background before going ahead. 100k seems a bit steep for a nose job. http://www.yanhee.ne...ures/Price List

Its Thailand not UK or USA.

I'm thinking she had it done on the cheap, and pocketed the rest.

But then, as you all know, I'm paranoid.

Can you sue ? Yes

Will you find a lawyer to take on a case? With difficulty

Will the lawyer win the case? Most unlikely

I am actually speaking from experience.

I had a shoulder surgery , cost close to 500 000 baht

Surgeon either forgot to shave something off or over looked something.

As a result pain and loss of movement .

Surgeon admitted something went wrong and offered 5% discount to do it again.

I had medical reports from docs in Australia and Singapore but could not find a lawyer to take the case.

Because they did not want to loose face suing a doctor and some claimed they do not want loose chance to may be get some work of the hospital .

Finally found one who was willing but wanted 200 000 baht upfront, promised to win the cost of surgery but no pain and suffering or loss of income as recovery takes 1 year.

My advise - find a new doctor and save the headache

Is he on this list? If not he's probably neither a cosmetic or plastic surgeon.

http://www.surgery.o.../en/surgeon.php

Any MD can call themselves a cosmetic surgeon and it's buyer beware, you won't win.

Come to think of it you won't win even if he is on the list as his opinion will override yours.

You won't win, forget about it. Spend the legal fees getting a new doctor.

i do remember a story like this in the bkk post about 2-3 years ago

• 7 months later...

I've been in and out of Thialnd for surgery, dental procedures, medical check up, shopping, and basically just to explore. when i had my nose surgery, the surgeon explained everything to me along with the possibilities, both good bad. They also asked me to sign a consent form that says disatisfaction is a possibility and they will do revision should there be a need to, and i will just need to pay hospital fees as the surgeon's fee will be waived. fortunately im happy with the result... to make it short, my point is, make sure before you file any complaint, you go back to the clinic, ask your doctor again and if you can get a copy of the consent your gf has signed, review it again, otherwise suing will be a waste of time.