Rebuilding A Fox Rlt 100 Shock

T_Dog

I'm considering rebuilding my RLT100 front fork myself as I have a rebuild kit coming from Enduro. Their aftermarket seals are better than Fox's. TCA in Chiang Mai doesn't seem to be able to get the parts anyway even though they are a Fox supplier, but their technician would be quite capable of doing the work.

Have any of you rebuilt a high end Fox shock? I've rebuilt Manitou shocks before and do service my own Fox rear shocks, but I am not sure what special tools I might need for the front fork which is a bit complicated. Any experience out there?

• 3 weeks later...

Brought the shock to TCA here in Chiang Mai and in just a little over an hour, it was overhauled with new seals, wipers, and oil. Should be good for a few more years, but next year will put in an Enduro seal kit. Total cost was a reasonable 1200 baht. Checking out the front end, the Chris King headset is still as smooth as silk after 8 years and over 8000 miles of rough Clydesdale riding. Can't beat Fox, Hope, and Chris King up front.

8492128858_b77fafe8a5.jpg8491028069_3f04c290d7.jpg

• Like 2

I am pretty happy with what I have so no plans to upgrade. Most of the riding is very similar to the Pony Canyon Ride that we rode with you. No huge drops or crazy stuff. This 100 RLT is so much better than any other shock I have ever had so I don't want to mess with success. I am pretty much a retro-grouch through and through.

Ha ha! Owning a full suspension mountain bike cannot possibly equate to being a retro grouch.

How long has it been since you last serviced your shock? I am wondering when I should do mine, or if I just wait until the shocks get cranky.

Ha ha! Owning a full suspension mountain bike cannot possibly equate to being a retro grouch.

How long has it been since you last serviced your shock? I am wondering when I should do mine, or if I just wait until the shocks get cranky.

Fox recommends some ridiculously short service periods. ( http://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=bike&ref=servicehome ) My first service last year was after seven years and TCA admonished me for waiting for so long as the oil was very dirty. They recommended annual service. If you follow Fox's guidelines, you would have to get service every month or two as you ride a lot!

Fox recommends some ridiculously short service periods. ( http://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=bike&ref=servicehome ) My first service last year was after seven years and TCA admonished me for waiting for so long as the oil was very dirty. They recommended annual service. If you follow Fox's guidelines, you would have to get service every month or two as you ride a lot!

Yikes! 30 / 100 hours!

Annual sounds reasonable enough though. Thanks Tdog.

Yikes! 30 / 100 hours!

Annual sounds reasonable enough though. Thanks Tdog.

And when you get the shock back, don't forget to inflate it back to your normal riding pressure. I just got back from a ride and had a good endo I am going to blame on low shock pressure rather than a skill deficit! I haven't hit the dirt like this in a long time.

The oil side on the Fox Forks stays pretty clean as long as its not run in horrible conditions and the dust seals and stanchions kept reasonably clean.

On the air chamber side is the Float fluid which gives the fork rapid response. The Float fluid seems to lose its magic after a few months and the Floaty soft feel is lost until the fluid is changed.

I suppose you could just change the Air chamber Float fluid every 6 months and oil/seals side every year.

Mine is 2011 100mm RLC F Series 32

I imagine the newer models have improved that issue. The fancy stanchion coating seems a great improvement.

Here's the "before" photo that was also in Tonto's ridge line thread. Three hard rides on the rebuild so far and not a trace of oil leaking out. TCA did good. Riding in Thailand is tough on equipment as if it isn't dusty, its muddy8419833416_b26d1ea30f.jpg.

Jutaphoom the TCA owner told me I should replace seals and oil every 6 months.

TCA seem to be stocking the parts now and the price and turn around are great. If you ride a Fox then TCA is a real asset.

Imagine running odd ball like Magura etc and trying to get a rebuild.

Another trick that works for all forks is to spray silicon or lemon pledge type stuff on the stanchions and seals and dirt does not stick as easy.

It's old motor racing trick.

• Like 1