River Market Review

LawrenceChee

What is meant by "fusion" in this context? A fusion between what and what? I don't think that the food at the Riverside is a fusion of any two styles, I think that it's just toned down Thai food. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I suspect that it might be very popular with first time visitors to Thailand whose previous exposure to Thai food was at "Thai" restaurants in their home country.

I'd be interested to hear Dave's description of the menu but it's not just 'toned down' (less hot) Thai food. 'Fusion' implies a mix of cultural cooking styles and/or a menu to please diverse palates... Chinese, Indian, Korean ... whatever

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is meant by "fusion" in this context? A fusion between what and what? I don't think that the food at the Riverside is a fusion of any two styles, I think that it's just toned down Thai food. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I suspect that it might be very popular with first time visitors to Thailand whose previous exposure to Thai food was at "Thai" restaurants in their home country.

I'd be interested to hear Dave's description of the menu but it's not just 'toned down' (less hot) Thai food. 'Fusion' implies a mix of cultural cooking styles and/or a menu to please diverse palates... Chinese, Indian, Korean ... whatever

Sure, but I don't notice any Chinese, Indian, or Korean influences in the food there.

Edited by AngelsLariat

" A fusion between what and what?" good question. Best fused food I have had was in Kona, Franco-Nippon seafood, i second the request for "Dave" to tell us his take on fusion, confusion, fission and cold fusion.

My favorite restaurant that I like that I would consider to be "fusion" (or various Asian styles) is the The Mix restaurant on Nimmenhaemin Soi 1.

I've visited the River Market 3 times now, the first 2 times it was excellent all round.

The third visit, we chose a large table on the veranda to the left.

We were politely asked to move as there was only 2 of us on a big table.

The staff showed us to a very nice table overlooking the river in a deserted part of the restaurant.

We were happy with the new location, but before we could even order a drink we were asked to move again.

I explained that we had been moved already & we were not prepared to move again,

also that area was deserted, what was the problem ?

A different member of staff came over & said no you have to move !

We left the restaurant, will I go there again ? time will tell.

Edited by Pond Life

" A fusion between what and what?" good question. Best fused food I have had was in Kona, Franco-Nippon seafood, i second the request for "Dave" to tell us his take on fusion, confusion, fission and cold fusion.

My favorite restaurant that I like that I would consider to be "fusion" (or various Asian styles) is the The Mix restaurant on Nimmenhaemin Soi 1.

I found the Mix to be good and inexpensive. It's a very good choice for Asian fusion food.

I found the Mix to be good and inexpensive. It's a very good choice for Asian fusion food.

I think that The Mix is an excellent value for what you get but I suspect that the people who take offense at the River Market because each of their dishes is 3 or 4 times as expensive as at a food court would similarly take offense at The Mix. Usually we spend about the same amount of money at The Mix as at the River Market or The Duke’s. Don't get me wrong, I love the mix, but most of their clientele are moderately affluent Thais and probably the majority of ThaiVisa people would be more comfortable at Mad Dog's.

Edited by AngelsLariat
  • Like 1

I think that The Mix is an excellent value for what you get but I suspect that the people who take offense at the River Market because each of their dishes is 3 or 4 times as expensive as at a food court would similarly take offense at The Mix. Usually we spend about the same amount of money at The Mix as at the River Market or The Duke’s. Don't get me wrong, I love the mix, but most of their clientele are moderately affluent Thais and probably the majority of ThaiVisa people would be more comfortable at Mad Dog's.

That's just not true

The Dukes produces first class food. Expensive but worth it.

The River Market produces second rate food. Expensive but not worth it.

Mad Dog produces plates full of grease. Disgusting at any price.

The Mix ..... no idea.

Probably the food quality is directly attributable to the chef in each establishment.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

That's just not true

The Dukes produces first class food. Expensive but worth it.

The River Market produces second rate food. Expensive but not worth it.

Mad Dog produces plates full of grease. Disgusting at any price.

The Mix ..... no idea.

Probably the food quality is directly attributable to the chef in each establishment.

Try the Mix and then tell me what you think. Just going from what you wrote, I don't think that we have any substantial disagreement.

• Like 1

"Probably the majority of ThaiVisa people would be more comfortable at Mad Dog's." Wow, why do you think the "ThaiVisa People" would be more comfortable at Mad Dog's? There are a lot of people who comment on this site daily or weekly who dine at many of Chiang Mai's finer restaurants. I would suspect many are regular customers at Dukes for sure. Actually, what is a ThaiVisa person? sad.png

Hiring, training, and retaining staff to establish and maintain restaurant's style is tough enough.

Creating - on purpose - 'fusion' foods falls into two categories: 1) Creative authorship. This is what we find in highly regarded three-star restaurants. Goodness knows who decides these things, but if it's done hereabouts, it's probably achieved at Man' Oriental or 4 Seasons or someplace where we drop 5,000 baht eating alone, soberly.

Generally, though, 'fusion' foods are those adapted to the tastes of a different nation - Indian in the UK, for example, where experts in fish and chips define good Indian food (not a few live here). For Dave and River Market, it must be an enormous challenge. In effect, he's trying to please folks who have not quite accepted spice and unmentionable frog parts, let alone the best local dishes involving whole dead fish, complete with eyes. The recipes are necessarily experiments, and we will determine which succeed and which will be refined or dropped.

So what? It's early days. Neither Rome nor River Market was created in a day. Our job is to go and vote with our teeth - or not, and test other places instead by checking out their hamburgers, or pizza, and voting that way.

Edited by CMX
  • Like 1

I like River Market and have had a few dishes that are memorable such as the ribs. I went there right in the beginning and liked it and have returned to find some of the growing pains have been sorted. Sure there are a few things I'd personally change such as a dish's name should represent the main ingredient in the dish for an example but going into a place where a non-regular is greeted by the owner by name sure is a wonderful change of pace than the usual feeling that one is bothering the staff or at least indifference when entering an establishment here. I do not consider it fusion food where the Chef would need to have an understanding of each cuisine incl. it's history to combine them for a pleasing result but there are some inventive dishes that work. A very nice room in a pleasing location serving real good food. As for the other places recently mentioned, walked by Mad Dogs the other day and saw someone eating something gray between a bun, nuf said, Dukes by the river is good, enjoyed a nice steak and am a regular for Thanksgiving etc. and have to try the pizza one day but did not enjoy it at the Night Bazaar location but I will chalk that up to an off night as it was a busy Mother's Day and all our food was below acceptable standards which can but shouldn't happen. I believe the Mix might have an upscale clientele as the time I dined there I was the only customer and received no service and had to get up continuously for bad attitude to go along with the bad service (don't even remember the food so that says something). But back to the River Market I also appreciate Dave's efforts to put in the extra effort for such events such as 4th of July when it appears nobody else is willing. So when I'm feeling in the mood for something a bit nicer and dining I'll go back and enjoy again.

• Like 1

I started the thread and since my review has brought my parents there and like most who are in agreement sans price parents love the decor, the commanding beauty of the symmetrical building by the river, the cleanliness of the place and most importantly the food.

They had a great night an that for me was priceless ..

• Like 1