Family Works On Pardon For Kamnan Poh

webfact

Family works on pardon for Kamnan Poh

Piyanuch Thamnukasetchai,

Jeerapong Prasertphonkrang

The Nation

30199432-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Less than a week after the notorious former godfather Somchai Khunpluem was arrested and sent to jail, his family has begun to seek a Royal pardon for him.

The plan comes after the 76-year-old convict was moved from a prison to a hospital in his hometown and political stronghold, Chon Buri. The Chon Buri Prison approved the transfer citing Somchai's need for medical treatment.

newsjs

"We are going to ask for a Royal pardon. We will be proceeding in line with laws and an appropriate timeframe," Culture Minister Sonthaya Kunplome, one of Somchai's sons, said yesterday. "I am doing my duty as a son."

Observers say that thanks to Somchai's business and political influence, his children have had a smooth, successful ride in politics.

Somchai, widely known as Kamnan Poh, went on the run only after he was convicted of corruption and then of a murder. He had been in hiding for about seven years before being arrested late last month in Bangkok.

Sonthaya yesterday shrugged off a suggestion the Khunpluem family would run into trouble for illegally sheltering Somchai during the past many years.

"My father has moved around on his own. He goes wherever he wants," Sonthaya said. He also believed his father's case would not affect his political status.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung also dismissed a suggestion Somchai had enjoyed preferential treatment.

"When an inmate is ill, he can get treatment," he said. On the move to ask for a Royal pardon, Chalerm said any inmate had the right to request one.

Crime Suppression Division commander Maj-General Supisal Pakdeenareunart, meanwhile, said police would summon the director of the Samitivej Hospital's Srinakarin branch for questioning.

Records showed Somchai had received treatment at the hospital, sometimes as an inpatient and sometimes as an outpatient, for over a year. Suspicion is growing among officials that someone there might have intentionally provided treatment for Somchai without alerting the authorities, despite the fact he was wanted on murder and corruption charges.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-06

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Records showed Somchai had received treatment at the hospital, sometimes as an inpatient and sometimes as an outpatient, for over a year. Suspicion is growing among officials that someone there might have intentionally provided treatment for Somchai without alerting the authorities, despite the fact he was wanted on murder and corruption charges.

Looks like someone is planning to pass the buck.

I could be wrong about this, but recalling the past debates about a potential Royal pardon for Thaksin....

I'm recalling that a couple of points were part of any pardon discussion:

--the individual involved has to have served some meaningful portion of their sentence.

--those convicted of corruption typically aren't eligible.

Convicted of corruption and murder and then on the run for seven years with no time served.

A now a royal pardon. On what grounds exactly?

Am I missing something here. Oh yes, I forgot.

Power, influence, money, supreme arrogance and the appropriate connections, which in Thailand, are all above the law.

Pass me a bucket someone... quickly.

royal pardon are selected by the government, or? So where is the problem? They are in power at the moment.

Convicted of corruption and murder and then on the run for seven years with no time served.

A now a royal pardon. On what grounds exactly?

Am I missing something here. Oh yes, I forgot.

Power, influence, money, supreme arrogance and the appropriate connections, which in Thailand, are all above the law.

Pass me a bucket someone... quickly.

on the grounds of being too old and unhealthy

He's doing what all old folks do, when they see themselves shuffling off the mortal coil soon. Finding God and asking forgiveness to try to get into heaven lol.

Being a "good" Buddhist,whistling.gif Somchai will, when he's dead, first burn at the Wat, then be reincarnated as a soi dog.

• Like 1

He's doing what all old folks do, when they see themselves shuffling off the mortal coil soon. Finding God and asking forgiveness to try to get into heaven lol.

Being a "good" Buddhist,whistling.gif Somchai will, when he's dead, first burn at the Wat, then be reincarnated as a soi dog.

He would only deserve to be a gnat on a flea on soi dog.

• Like 1

I could be wrong about this, but recalling the past debates about a potential Royal pardon for Thaksin....

I'm recalling that a couple of points were part of any pardon discussion:

--the individual involved has to have served some meaningful portion of their sentence.

--those convicted of corruption typically aren't eligible.

All very correct. However, those were the stipulations placed on any pardon being sought for Thaksin. It would be very naive to think that these would easily apply in this case. However, if political horse trading (and money bunged in the right places) makes these restrictions go away and KP gets his pardon, then the precedent has been set for Thaksin to get in line for his. It is only a matter of time anyway.

You only have to look at the glowing example our dear beloved DPM and his sons act to know the justice system is a mockery. I thought the agenda of the current government and their red friends was to stop these double standards.