U K Parliament Backs Gay Marriage Bill

webfact

A request for those who have repeatedly expressed their opposition to same sex marriage in the sincere hope that I can understand: could you answer, as directly and simply as possible, these two straightforward questions with reason (as opposed to emotion or 'that's just how I feel')...

How will allowing gay marriage destroy or even affect heterosexual marriages?

Why must "marriage" be strictly between a man and a woman (leaving aside the simple fact that that is o longer true in some places)?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

• Like 1

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A request for those who have repeatedly expressed their opposition to same sex marriage in the sincere hope that I can understand: could you answer, as directly and simply as possible, these two straightforward questions with reason (as opposed to emotion or 'that's just how I feel')...

Why must "marriage" be strictly between a man and a woman (leaving aside the simple fact that that is o longer true in some places)?

Cannot, against forum rules. sad.png

You what?! 'Fraid I find that exceedingly hard to believe.

What do you think it says about you when you go on and on about your stance but when asked to explain the reasons for it, refuse to?

maybe not some of you Brits will return back home.

And maybe some of you non British will sort out your own backyard before presuming to do it in ours.

Oh, so now we shouldn't express opinions on another country until our owns are perfect or what?

Do you plan to adhere to that (and do you normally do so)?

From Post 260 above:

Someone should accept because of "fundamental mechanical and biological differences" in their sex lives/relationships, they will never have the same rights, titles, opportunities or privileges as a huge number of other people with a vast array of differences in sex lives and relationships among them.

You mean to say I have mischaracterized or distorted your position in that summation? I absolutely and with total sincerity apologize if I have; I would NEVER deliberately do that with anyone as I value the fact that I can certainly not always claim to be right but I can claim to always strive for intellectual integrity.

Apology accepted, let's move on.

What do you think it says about you when you go on and on about your stance but when asked to explain the reasons for it, refuse to?

Try using your loaf and read the forum rules about stuff. Love to write here but........

From Post 260 above:

Someone should accept because of "fundamental mechanical and biological differences" in their sex lives/relationships, they will never have the same rights, titles, opportunities or privileges as a huge number of other people with a vast array of differences in sex lives and relationships among them.

You mean to say I have mischaracterized or distorted your position in that summation? I absolutely and with total sincerity apologize if I have; I would NEVER deliberately do that with anyone as I value the fact that I can certainly not always claim to be right but I can claim to always strive for intellectual integrity.

Apology accepted, let's move on.

So you aren't going to reply to the rest of the post?

Try using your loaf and read the forum rules about stuff. Love to write here but........

I've read them. I don't believe there's anything there that would prevent you from answering.

Anyway, UK gay people are in a good position. If you win this, that's great, if you lose this, you've still got a choice much better than most gay people in the world.

BTW, favoring gay marriage equality is not the same thing as advocating that people, gay or straight, actually get married.

The issue is about full equality of choices, not forcing or even encouraging gay people into traditional heterosexual boxes if they don't wish to go there.

Many gay people want this full marriage equality for themselves and many or most probably will never enter into either civil unions or marriage. I think people of good will would want to grant the wish for full marriage equality under the law to those to wish for it. It doesn't take anything away from the heterosexually married.

Very true. I do not understand why this is such an issue.

I assume most of the posters live in Thailand where pretty well everything goes and is accepted. If we can deal with it here then why care about this new law in the UK?

All it means is people can have an option earlier denied. It does not impact my life one iota.

People should be able to have the same rights irrespective of there sexual persuasion.

It is called equality.

They have the same rights. Just using a different name. It's called equality

No. It's called a separate institution. We have a fundamental disagreement here that won't ever go away. Separate but equal is NEVER equal in my opinion and also in the opinion of the advocates for same sex MARRIAGE equality in the UK.

To those who assert, this is just a triviality over a word. Why fight for use of the same word and the same institution? That argument is bogus because if it is such a nothing, just this word, why guard it like a Medieval maiden with chastity belt? If words don't have great power and meaning, why are the opponents of full equality for gay people so stingy with sharing their precious word?

Beyond that, it actually is more than a word. Different words and different institutions for different classes of people. You're either single, married, or in a civil union. All different.

Edited by Jingthing

Anyway, UK gay people are in a good position. If you win this, that's great, if you lose this, you've still got a choice much better than most gay people in the world.

BTW, favoring gay marriage equality is not the same thing as advocating that people, gay or straight, actually get married.

The issue is about full equality of choices, not forcing or even encouraging gay people into traditional heterosexual boxes if they don't wish to go there.

Many gay people want this full marriage equality for themselves and many or most probably will never enter into either civil unions or marriage. I think people of good will would want to grant the wish for full marriage equality under the law to those to wish for it. It doesn't take anything away from the heterosexually married.

Very true. I do not understand why this is such an issue.

I assume most of the posters live in Thailand where pretty well everything goes and is accepted. If we can deal with it here then why care about this new law in the UK?

All it means is people can have an option earlier denied. It does not impact my life one iota.

People should be able to have the same rights irrespective of there sexual persuasion.

It is called equality.

They have the same rights. Just using a different name. It's called equality

No. It's called a separate institution. We have a fundamental disagreement here that won't ever go away. Separate but equal is NEVER equal in my opinion and also in the opinion of the advocates for same sex MARRIAGE equality in the UK.

That's because you as a gay person are a separate institution to a heterosexual . Interesting isn't it

That's because you as a gay person are a separate institution to a heterosexual . Interesting isn't it

Please explain what you mean. Gay or straight are not institutions. They are sexual orientations.

If you're suggesting that full gay marriage equality just can't be done, well it can be done, and is being done in several nations now. Hopefully, the UK is next.

As far as the language used in marriage ceremonies and how people's brains might explode making the language work for a situation with gay marriage equality. They won't explode. It is EASY. Again, this is already being done successfully with no social problems in several countries. Is there something about the UK that makes it incapable of coping with this small change?

Edited by Jingthing

Please explain what you mean. Gay or straight are not institutions. They are sexual orientations.

If you're suggesting that full gay marriage equality just can't be done, well it can be done, and is being done in several nations now. Hopefully, the UK is next.

As far as the language used in marriage ceremonies and how people's brains might explode making the language work for a situation with gay marriage equality. They won't explode. It is EASY. Again, this is already being done successfully with no social problems in several countries. Is there something about the UK that makes it incapable of coping with this small change?

What on earth does ''straight'' mean in your context ?

Heterosexual

I sometimes forget not everyone is a native speaker here.coffee1.gif

Edited by Jingthing

The C of E is part of the backbone of the UK it does not mean that every one is religious. It probably will not create any major problem. I am expressing my personal belief.

Edited by thaicbr

The C of E is part of the backbone of the UK it does not mean that every one is religious. It probably will not create any major problem. I am expressing my personal belief. I

The C of E won't be performing any gay marriages. We've covered this already. People can get married without any religious involvement. Heterosexuals now. Homosexuals hopefully later.

So it is your "belief" that gay people are an institution? I am sorry. That doesn't make any sense at all. That's why I asked you to clarify before but if you don't wish to, up to you.

Sure anyone can assert totally illogical things, such as I think Thai people are a separate species from outer space, and that is my belief, but generally people will want such "beliefs" to be clarified.

Edited by Jingthing

Heterosexual

I sometimes forget not everyone is a native speaker here.coffee1.gif

Sorry but the word straight has nothing to do with ones sexuality, it means eeer straight, as in road. SAY what you mean. sad.png

Sorry but the word straight has nothing to do with ones sexuality, it means eeer straight, as in road. SAY what you mean. sad.png

Yes it does. But it's fine with me if you use heterosexual/homosexual. Sorry to break it to you, but many or even most words have MULTIPLE meanings. In the context of this thread, OBVIOUSLY straight is about sexuality and gay isn't about being jolly.

2. Straight

. heterosexual

http://www.urbandict...p?term=straight

Yes, Oxford too:

7 informal (of a person) conventional or respectable: she looked pretty straight in her school clothes

heterosexual.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/straight

Edited by Jingthing

Yes it does. But it's fine with me if you use heterosexual/homosexual. Sorry to break it to you, but many or even most words have MULTIPLE meanings. In the context of this thread, OBVIOUSLY straight is about sexuality.

2. Straight

. heterosexual

http://www.urbandict...p?term=straight

Hmmmmmmmmm, so why do Homosexuals call themselves gay and not bent or right angles. Hmmm, my meaning of gay is a girls name or folk that are doing happy stuff.

Sorry, off topic. smile.png

Ridiculous semantic time-wasting - you had no problem when other STRAIGHT people on the thread used the term in the same way.

OXFORD has among a whole long list of meanings the word "heterosexual".

• Like 1

The C of E is part of the backbone of the UK it does not mean that every one is religious. It probably will not create any major problem. I am expressing my personal belief. I

The C of E won't be performing any gay marriages. We've covered this already. People can get married without any religious involvement. Heterosexuals now. Homosexuals hopefully later.

So it is your "belief" that gay people are an institution? I am sorry. That doesn't make any sense at all. That's why I asked you to clarify before but if you don't wish to, up to you.

Sure anyone can assert totally illogical things, such as I think Thai people are a separate species from outer space, and that is my belief, but generally people will want such "beliefs" to be clarified.

I used the wrong word. My apologies. About Thais .... you may be right :)

The solution to this is very easy: Abolish all subsidies and tax breaks to the church.

Weddings bring in a whole load of cash, they'll be begging the usually affluent gay community to come to them.

And while you are at it, kick those 26 unelected misogynist dinosaur bishops out of the legislature, they do not belong there. Separation of Church and State!

• Like 2

We can use same sex or homosexual if you like. I am not married to the word gay myself.giggle.gif

Perhaps you could have a civil relationship with it. wink.png Just trying to lighten this agonising thread.

As far as I can tell, there is no suggestion yet that homosexual marriage will become law in the UK in the foreseeable future. There's been a poll and the PM has muttered some politically correct words on the subject. It's possible that it will simmer down to nothing. At the very least, a whole host of religious leaders will be on his doorstep with their own opinions.

Other than for my view which has been deemed off topic, few normal people seem to give a dam_n about the matter. The more hysteria is generated by homosexuals, the more likely there is to be a reaction against a change in the law. Just calm down, boys.

The solution to this is very easy: Abolish all subsidies and tax breaks to the church.

Weddings bring in a whole load of cash, they'll be begging the usually affluent gay community to come to them.

And while you are at it, kick those 26 unelected misogynist dinosaur bishops out of the legislature, they do not belong there. Separation of Church and State!

So your anti religion then.

It will become law if the House of Lords doesn't stop it from becoming law. That's pretty foreseeable in my book.

Again, what's this heat about religions? Religions aren't being forced to do same sex marriages. That's their choice except C of E which has no choice but not to do them. Again, this is about equality under the LAW.

Edited by Jingthing

Oddly no. I was first married in a Church of England. Got divorced and my new lady wanted to get married in a Church of England church. No can do cos I was divorced. sad.png

Oddly no. I was first married in a Church of England. Got divorced and my new lady wanted to get married in a Church of England church. No can do cos I was divorced. sad.png

Yes you can just change church. It's up to the vicar. Find one that will marry you.

It will become law if the House of Lords doesn't stop it from becoming law. That's pretty foreseeable in my book.

Again, what's this heat about religions? Religions aren't being forced to do same sex marriages. That's their choice except C of E which has no choice but not to do them. Again, this is about equality under the LAW.

You starting to sound like Judge Dredd:D

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM&desktop_uri=/watch?v=itmNiTwHOsM

Edited by thaicbr