One Year Multi Entry Visa Not Good For 12 Months.

I was recently in my local immigration office to take care of several matters one of which was getting a 12 month multi entry visa. I also did my 90 day reporting. All went smoothly and I even offered to give the fellow the remaining ฿200. due me as change from my ฿4000. I could see he was hesitant about giving any change at all and I thought he had a single one hundred note in his hand to give me instead of two. My TGF thought he only was proffering ฿20. She may have been correct what with her eagle eyes compared to my failing sight

Anyway, after all was said and done, I asked the TGF to make sure the stamp would transfer to my new retirement extension which will be due this coming November. The man quickly replied that the 12 month multi entry would only be good until I need to get a new extension. I figure that to be 10 months and not 12. In my book if I buy something it seems I should get the full amount listed on the product I buy.

Has anyone managed to get the 12 month visa to transfer to a new extension or did I just get a bad hand this time around?

And yes it is about the money because i have zero interest in giving the immigration folks involuntarily one baht more than I absolutely have to. ( I realize a degree of "tea" money is required at times.)

And as a side note they grilled the living Sh*t out of me about where I would be going with the multi visa. I told them I didn't know but might be traveling to several places for holiday. I honestly don't know, but I thought the idea of the multi entry visa was to allow unlimited passage across the Thai border without impinging on one's visa status. Am I mistaken about that as i was with the 12 month (transfer) validity of the stamp?

You got what you asked/paid for. Be it a day or longer the multi re-entry permit is only valid for the current permitted to stay time. You are not talking about a visa but a TM.8 fee. The actual extension of stay for one year is valid for one year but again the cost is the same if for only a week - as the TM.7 charge is 1,900 baht filing fee.

• Like 2

You do not get a Multi entry visa at Immigration, you get a visa extension which costs 1900 baht and a multiple reentry permit for 3800 baht.

The multiple re-entry permit is only valid as long as your current visa/extension no longer, it is only used to allow you to come back into Thailand if you leave.

Example your current extension of stay is valid till 19 June 2013, you purchase a Multiple re-entry permit, you can leave Thailand and come back in as many times as you like, but on the 19th June your extension and the multi re-entry permit are no longer valid.

You got what you asked/paid for. Be it a day or longer the multi re-entry permit is only valid for the current permitted to stay time. You are not talking about a visa but a TM.8 fee. The actual extension of stay for one year is valid for one year but again the cost is the same if for only a week - as the TM.7 charge is 1,900 baht filing fee.

Thanks for the clarification. So if I understand you correctly if I plan to go to a few countries during the last month or so of my retirement visa time frame, and if I pay for a multi "reentry" permit it would not extend past the expiration of my 12 month non- O retirement visa.

Is that correct?

Edited by watcharacters

rolleyes.gif

Okay, first of all, i doubt you recieved a 12 month multi entry VISA at your local immigration office. For one thing, they don't do VISA here.

What you probably got is a EXTENSION for 12 nomths of your current VISA that brought you into Thailand.

My actual one year multi entry visa was given on October 15, 2010 from the Thai consulate in Hull, England.

My first 12 month extension was until 15 October 2011, a second extension until October 15, 2012, and I'm now on my 3rd extension until 15 October 2013.

So almost surely that's what you got ... a one year extension of your original visa .... the one that allowed you to rnter Thailand.

The extension is what you do 90 day reporting on, not the original visa.

Now, when you're on extension, and youwant to travel outside of Thailand and keep your exiension valid, you can get a exit re-entry permit.

A multi exit reentry permit is good for the period of your extension and that multi entry costs 3800 Baht, It allows you to exit and re-enter as many times as you like during that time period of that extension.In my case, because my crrent extension is until 15 October 2013, i therefore could purchase a multi exit re-entry for 3800 Baht and exit and re-enter thailand on that permit (stamped in my passport) as many times as I wanted up until 15 October 2013,

Then i would need to apply for another extension of my original visa for another year until 15 October 2014.

If i wanted to I could then purcase anothe multi esit re-entry permit which would be good until that new extension ended.

There is a difference btween the actual VISA that you got outside of Thailand and that you first entered Thailand on , and any EXTENSIONS you ecieve at your local immigration Thailand.

Many people mistakethe two things, but they are different.

wai.gif

• Like 1

You do not get a Multi entry visa at Immigration, you get a visa extension which costs 1900 baht and a multiple reentry permit for 3800 baht.

The multiple re-entry permit is only valid as long as your current visa/extension no longer, it is only used to allow you to come back into Thailand if you leave.

Example your current extension of stay is valid till 19 June 2013, you purchase a Multiple re-entry permit, you can leave Thailand and come back in as many times as you like, but on the 19th June your extension and the multi re-entry permit are no longer valid.

As above, I used the wrong term. I was of course referring to a multi reentry permit. I guess i was mislead a bit on a past post some months back when I didn't use a one time reentry permit and was told it would be valid for one year. I mistakenly figured a 12 month stamp could easily be transferred but realize it's silly to think that would be done for a falang's benefit. I'll know better next time.

Edited by watcharacters

Thanks for the clarification. So if I understand you correctly if I plan to go to a few countries during the last month or so of my retirement visa time frame, and if I pay for a multi "reentry" visa it would not extend past the expiration of my 12 month non- O retirement visa.

Is that correct?

i

It is not a visa but a permit

Thanks for the clarification. So if I understand you correctly if I plan to go to a few countries during the last month or so of my retirement visa time frame, and if I pay for a multi "reentry" visa it would not extend past the expiration of my 12 month non- O retirement visa.

Is that correct?

i

It is not a visa but a permit

Got it. My apologies for using the wrong term.

Can a Mod kindly change the thread title to correctly say Permit instead of visa? Thanks.

I've gone through and changed visa to now read permit but can't change the title. At least I don't know how to change the title.

Edited by watcharacters

As above, I used the wrong term. I was of course referring to a multi reentry visa. I guess i was mislead a bit on a past post some months back when I didn't use a one time reentry visa and was told it would be valid for one year. I mistakenly figured a 12 month stamp could easily be transferred but realize it's silly to think that would be done for a falang's benefit. I'll know better next time.

If the single entry was issued when you got your extension, it would have been good for a year. You should pay attention, you asked for a re-entry permit, not a visa, you got one. As said, it only keeps your current permission to stay valid when leaving Thailand.

As above, I used the wrong term. I was of course referring to a multi reentry visa. I guess i was mislead a bit on a past post some months back when I didn't use a one time reentry visa and was told it would be valid for one year. I mistakenly figured a 12 month stamp could easily be transferred but realize it's silly to think that would be done for a falang's benefit. I'll know better next time.

If the single entry was issued when you got your extension, it would have been good for a year. You should pay attention, you asked for a re-entry permit, not a visa, you got one. As said, it only keeps your current permission to stay valid when leaving Thailand.

You are correct I should be more careful. My mistake and I feel badly about it.

"A multi exit reentry permit is good for the period of your extension..."

I..-F, I'm still curious why you call a re-entry permit an 'exit re-entry permit'.

As you see in this topic, calling something by the wrong name often causes confusion.

The OP said; "...one of which was getting a 12 month multi entry visa."

He indicated in a later post that he was 'mislead' by the wrong terminology being used in an earlier topic he read.

Terry

Edited by TerryLH

rolleyes.gif

Okay, first of all, i doubt you recieved a 12 month multi entry VISA at your local immigration office. For one thing, they don't do VISA here.

What you probably got is a EXTENSION for 12 nomths of your current VISA that brought you into Thailand.

My actual one year multi entry visa was given on October 15, 2010 from the Thai consulate in Hull, England.

My first 12 month extension was until 15 October 2011, a second extension until October 15, 2012, and I'm now on my 3rd extension until 15 October 2013.

So almost surely that's what you got ... a one year extension of your original visa .... the one that allowed you to rnter Thailand.

Now, when you're on extension, and youwant to travel outside of Thailand and keep your exiension valid, you can get a exit re-entry permit.

A multi exit reentry permit is good for the period of your extension and that multi entry costs 3800 Baht, It allows you to exit and re-enter as many times as you like during that time period of that extension.In my case, because my crrent extension is until 15 October 2013, i therefore could purchase a multi exit re-entry for 3800 Baht and exit and re-enter thailand on that permit (stamped in my passport) as many times as I wanted up until 15 October 2013,

Then i would need to apply for another extension of my original visa for another year until 15 October 2014.

If i wanted to I could then purcase anothe multi esit re-entry permit which would be good until that new extension ended.

There is a difference btween the actual VISA that you got outside of Thailand and that you first entered Thailand on , and any EXTENSIONS you ecieve at your local immigration Thailand.

wai.gif

Nice and straightforward....

• Like 1

rolleyes.gif

wai.gif

Nice and straightforward....

I agree with you completely, Rinrada.

IMA_Falang managed to take no umbrage with my post and simply offered a concise clarification. I appreciate it. I was given the wrong understanding on an earlier thread when I was told a single unused reentry permit I paid for could be carried over past my extension deadline. I do know better now.

Edited by watcharacters

If I have a non immi "O" class multi entry vis issued in Hull

and have a retirement extension issued in Pattaya to that visa

Do I still need to apply for an exit and re entry permit to visit Laos or Cambodia?

or does the Multi entry part of my Non Immi "O" visa cover all exits and re entry's.

The reason I ask is that a friend of mine with a retirement extension regularly goes to Cambodia and Laos without any permits for re entry and without any problem

Another friend with the same visa set up goes to Immigration in Pattaya when He wants to go to another Country and buys the permits

Who is right?

Your clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by n210mp

You need a re-entry (not exit re-entry) permit even if you still have a valid multiple entry visa. If you leave and re-enter without using a re-entry permit you would get a new permit to stay date on entry which would void out the the date given by your extension.

It is possible to cross the Thai border into no mans land at some border crossings without getting stamped out of Thailand. Some issue a special border pass for this purpose.

If you have an extension of stay from immigration it will end if you exit without a re-entry permit. So even if you still have a valid multi entry visa you would only be able to obtain the allowed stay of that visa (90 days for non immigrant O).

If you have a friend not using re-entry permits he does not have a one year extension for retirement from immigration - either has a multi entry non immigrant O or O-A visa allowing 90 days or one year entry on each new entry. Or as said above does not actually enter/exit another country.