Thai Tour Bus Accident Kills Five, Including French Tourist

webfact

Thai tour bus accident kills five, including French tourist

The Nation

CHUMPHON: -- Five people including a French tourist were killed when a tour bus overturned Wednesday en route to a beach resort in southern Thailand, police said.

Chumphon Police Colonel Narudaet Ingkhajan identified the French casualty as Delphine Jofette Raene Kiesser, 23. newsjs

Sixteen passengers including six foreign tourists were hospitalized with injuries, among them one British man who lost his leg in the crash, Narudaet said.

The accident occurred about 4 am on the highway to Chumphon, 380 kilometres south of Bangkok.

"We think the accident was caused by a tyre blowout," Narudaet said.

The driver fled the scene.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-06

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mini bus ??? or should I say sardine tin on wheels ??? RIP to those who lost their lives and a safe recovery to the injured...very sad...

I believe it to be a regular tour bus.

Five passengers were killed and 38 others injured when a Bangkok-Chumphon bus overturned in Chumphon's Tha Sae district early this morning, police say.

The old my tire blew out excuse. I read this excuse every time somebody is killed in a van accident

Does that mean it can't happen or Thai tyres are just poorly made?

tire accidents are common in general, just more common here in Thailand. I don't think the quality of tire is poorly made,

usually the threads are worn to the bone but rather the maintenance is neglected.

• Like 2

Anytime boarding a bus in Thailand it's like playing Russian roulette .....

Far more car and ute accidents than buses, I see the smashed up remains parked outside the cop shop here ususlly about 4 a week and thats just in a small part of the road.

Have you ever looked at the white marks on the roads into BKK where they have have marked the places where vehicles have crashed? Cant remember ever seeing marks the size of a bus.

I use buses all the time and in the years I have been in the country I have travelled all over and only ever been in one bus which has had any sort of an accident and that was when a driverless car backed out of a showroom in BKK and hit the bus, no fault of the bus driver and no he didnt run away.

Bus accidents get publisised while car accidents dont.

Edited by Robby nz
  • Like 2

I've had several visitors lately and I tell them to never take buses here... and yet, they still do to save a few bucks or time (as opposed to train). I guess it's the "it won't happen to me" attitude. There seems to be no end to the people willing to fill these buses despite the risk.

According to 'The Other Paper", the bus was carrying about 38 people of whom 5 were killed and approx 16 hospitalized. The Nation story states the drive fled the scene while "The Other Paper" gives his name as Kamron Laila-iad, 34.

Not a mini bus or a scene fleer apparently.

• Like 1

Would never of guessed whistling.gif the driver fled the sceen bah.gif

The BANG from the blowout made the driver flee--he thought it was a bomb, isn;t it amazing that most do a runner, is it that no matter what he says happened, they will do HIM, someone will have to get the blame, How about looking at the tyre, that blew ???? we do not know if 1 driver in the bus, hours of driving between stops ??? bus company record ??? horific the young French lass-and the brit who lost his leg, and the rest. TAT will still be rolling out the figures-of record tourists though.

Can't even begin to imagine the pain of his family, and so many other families that are faced with similar tragedy. So many of these deaths are unnecessary.

Which part of the fact the fact that the victim was female did you you not grasp?.... Delphine is a ladies name.

• Like 1

According to 'The Other Paper", the bus was carrying about 38 people of whom 5 were killed and approx 16 hospitalized. The Nation story states the drive fled the scene while "The Other Paper" gives his name as Kamron Laila-iad, 34.

Not a mini bus or a scene fleer apparently.

Sounds like there were 2 incidents in the same area, (according to the papers) amazing...lets have an UPDATE please on what type of bus, give us facts please, unless this topic was correct ???

We drove up to Isaan last month, and many buses we saw were driving very dangerously - overtaking with oncoming vehicles hurtling towards them, etc. I was amazed that we didn't see a serious accident.

But this isn't a developed country, so you can't expect the same standards as back home. That's just life. Doesn't mean they shouldn't improve, but these things take time. USA/UK didn't have wonderful standards while they were developing either.

• Like 2

Can't even begin to imagine the pain of his family, and so many other families that are faced with similar tragedy. So many of these deaths are unnecessary.

Which part of the fact the fact that the victim was female did you you not grasp?.... Delphine is a ladies name.

Am not too fussed with 'pronouns' so long as the msg is clear.

Delphine is a proper noun, and not a pronoun. clap2.gif

-mel. rolleyes.gif

his as quoted is a pronoun clap2.gif

• Like 1

We drove up to Isaan last month, and many buses we saw were driving very dangerously - overtaking with oncoming vehicles hurtling towards them, etc. I was amazed that we didn't see a serious accident.

But this isn't a developed country, so you can't expect the same standards as back home. That's just life. Doesn't mean they shouldn't improve, but these things take time. USA/UK didn't have wonderful standards while they were developing either.

USA/UK didn't have wonderful standards while they were developing either. That's right but that was 80-90 years ago 'although the realm is a slow learner'

Sixteen passengers including six foreign tourists were hospitalized with injuries, among them one British man who lost his leg in the crash, Narudaet said.

Sad story. My thoughts are with the families and friends of the deceased. A friend of mine had lost his leg in a motorcycle crash, needless to say that this guy's life will never be the same. Hope the others will have a speedy and fully recovery.--wai2.gif

Please tell that to the victims, families, friends and the TAT.----wai2.gif