Domino's Pizza Is Back In Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Coconuts Bangkok website, which is often posted here by the mods for news, has a new review of the new Domino's Pizza shop in BKK...

The verdict: not good.

http://www.coconutsb...ck-to-thailand/

You'll never get a pizza here as good as you can in America. But, as far as Bangkok goes Domono's isn't bad and beats most of the others. Comparing them to what you find in America isn't a fair review.

Edited by pmarlin

Why not, burger king is similar, KFC bears a resembalnce, Mcdonalds is much the same.

They opened a White Spot here that had me back in Canada growing up with every bite.

I can go to the german on soi 11 and get an very decent schnitzel.

Why should we not expect Dominos to have even one or two choices on their menu that vaguely approximate the product that the brand is based on?

And in my experience with Dominos, it wasn't any better than the available corporate pizzas

Some strange news here...

I couldn't get out today, so I decided to call Domino's and give them a first try for delivery of their pizza...

After getting an English speaking manager on the phone (after a Thai speaking staff member first answered), I was told that their store will ONLY deliver to areas basically between about Sukhumvit Sois 8/11 (Nana BTS) to about Suk Soi 24 (Phom Phrong BTS).

When I asked what if someone lived farther out toward On Nut, for example, the guy I was speaking with on the phone said they're going to be opening a new store out that way soon... but indicated his store wouldn't deliver there (or anywhere else outside their designated zone).

Likewise, since I hadn't see the info elsewhere, the guy told me they have a standard 35 baht add-on delivery charge for the areas they do deliver to. No minimum amount for their orders.

BTW, I don't believe either the deliver charge or the limitation on their delivery areas is mentioned on their website at present.

I asked if his Domino's shop was doing anything with 3rd party delivery services like Chef's XP or FoodByPhone, and it seemed he didn't know, which I presume means no.

Ended up spending 1 minute to place my pizza order. But about 5 minutes with me giving the guy my address and delivery directions, him repeating it back to me, sometimes getting it wrong, having to repeat, etc etc etc.

They have a place on their website to register your address and ordering info, which I had done prior to calling today. But the guy I spoke with on the phone didn't seem to be able to call up that info. So perhaps they'll begin using that once they get their online ordering module up and running via their website, which currently shows it as "coming soon."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Yep, I got my Domino's order this afternoon, as follows:

(BTW, correcting a mention above, they do have the info about their 35 baht delivery fee buried in the "About Us" and then "Guarantees" section of their website. But nothing I saw on the Menu or Ordering parts of their site.

I ordered a 7 in. Ultimate Pepperoni and a 7 in. Veggie, 99 baht each, plus the 35 baht delivery charge, for a total of 233 baht. Motorcycle guy arrived within the 30 minute guarantee, and had a keep warm box on the back of his moto. Handed me the two small pizza boxes, each having a little plastic bag attached containing a napkin and small packets of oregano and chili pepper powder.

post-58284-0-36501800-1360830651_thumb.j

Each of the individual pizzas was decently warm and cut into quarter slices. The pizza bread/crust was in good condition, as in, not soggy or moist or cracker hard. Had a decent consistency, soft but firm and chewy.

The Pepperoni Pizza had just slices of pepperoni and a modest amount of some kind of cheese. It certainly didn't pass the "pulling cheese" test wherein you take a bite of a pizza and then some strings of cheese pull between your mouth and the pizza slice.

The Veggie Pizza had sprinklings of white onion, bell pepper, black olive and yellow corn. Both had a tomato sauce base, but I couldn't really make out any taste, nor could I make out any taste from the cheese. Mainly could just taste the pizza bread and a bit of the toppings.

All in all, I'd say MEHHHH..... Haven't eaten any Domino's pizza from the States in many years, so I'm not comparing it with that. Not as bad as the Thailand Pizza Co. varieties that come with mayo cream and junk like that. But certainly not anything that I'd call a good or appealing pizza...

I guess the best thing I can say is the pizza bread itself wasn't bad, so if I kind of think of the order as pizza-flavored bread instead of an actual pizza, then it works out OK. Maybe they're more generous with the sauce and the cheese on the larger size and more expensive pizzas...

I haven't ordered a lot of delivery pizzas in Thailand, and those I have ordered/received have all been thin crust. But I'd rank all of those -- being Via Vai, Scoozi and Pizzanotti -- as being better pizzas... apart from the difference in crust.

Ultimate Pepperoni

post-58284-0-85941000-1360830652_thumb.j

post-58284-0-40579700-1360830652_thumb.j

post-58284-0-93964000-1360830651_thumb.j

Veggie

post-58284-0-44978500-1360830653_thumb.j

post-58284-0-00389100-1360830654_thumb.j

Well despite the fact that they had delivered to me twice before ( i wrote a review of my experience in the other dominos thread ) I got refused delivery service last night. They said BTS thong lo is too far away (its 1.5 bts stations away!! - literally 5 min on motorcycle). So i guess they are being hardcore about their sukh 8-24 delivery range.

Hmm.... in thinking about this...

If you're going to do a thin crust pizza, then perhaps you can get away with going lighter on the sauce and the cheese, since the bread portion won't be so overpowering.

But if you're going to do a thick crust pizza, and you still go light on the sauce and the cheese, then the bread really becomes the dominant (Domino's smile.png ) element.

Re the delivery area limitation, I guess I can understand that -- given that they're promising to get the pizza to you in 30 minutes or less, or give you the pizza for free, which they obviously don't want to do a lot (if ever), and also have to make allowances for different levels of traffic at different times of the day.

Although as best as I can see there's ZERO mention of the area limitation on their website...perhaps because it'll be the same website when future stores open in other locations, based on the way the website has been designed.

Also, about the size issue someone cited above, as I mentioned, I ordered the 7 in. pizza...and I just got out my ruler and measured, and the interior of the pizza box (which the pizza filled side to side) measures exactly 7 in.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I should have added, my 7 in pizza delivery came with a flyer, one for each pizza, that included a coupon for 20% on the order of any future 9 or 12 in. pizza, valid through the end of March. Doesn't seem to say anything about whether or not that's also valid for dine-in. So I guess I'll try one of their larger ones at some point, just to see.

Yuck...pizza with a 3 inch thick spongy crust.

And mushrooms, the most disgusting vile substance on the planet. I'd rather die eating arsenic, it would taste better and I would not have to suffer as long.

They also have hardly any tomoato base on the pizza, my rule of thumb - the less tomaoto base the worse the pizza tastes.

Your post is very subjective. I like mushrooms...and found the tomato sauce to be perfectly adequate. Also the base is nowhere near three inches thick.

In addition they offer a thin crust base which I have not tried as yet.

Look you are just plain wrong, just like my mother & father, you are wrong!! - mushrooms are disgusting!

But thin crust is so fundamental that I dont consider a thick crsut ot be anmyre than "food"- its not pizza.

Next time you order a pizza (no fungus I hope) as for extra tomato base and see if you like it better - try it (no I wont try mushrooms I will vomit before they get that close to my mouth).

For the record: My paretns never made me eat them . They relaised that the vomit + me running out of the house (at the foul smell of them cooking) that it was not worth contemplating asking me to eat them.

Edited by fire and ice
  • Like 1

Look you are just plain wrong, just like my mother & father, you are wrong!! - mushrooms are disgusting!

But thin crust is so fundamental that I dont consider a thick crsut ot be anmyre than "food"- its not pizza.

Next time you order a pizza (no fungus I hope) as for extra tomato base and see if you like it better - try it (no I wont try mushrooms I will vomit before they get that close to my mouth).

For the record: My paretns never made me eat them . They relaised that the vomit + me running out of the house (at the foul smell of them cooking) that it was not worth contemplating asking me to eat them.

I had a cousin would eat nothing but chips and beans and he's turned out OK. Carry on avoiding mushrooms on toast with roasted garlic tossed on em and a sprig of parsley.

All the more for me! clap2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Domino’s Pizza Initiates Dividend After Strong Q4 Earnings Beat Wall Street Views (DPZ)

February 28th, 2013

Before the bell on Thursday, quick service pizza chain Domino’s Pizza, Inc. (DPZtiny-fullstar.giftiny-fullstar.giftiny-fullstar.giftiny-halfstar.giftiny-blankstar.gif)
reported strong fourth quarter results, with both profit and revenue
rising and beating analysts’ views. Because of these strong financials,
the company announced that it has initiated and declared a quarterly
dividend.

The Ann Arbor, Michigan-based company said its fourth quarter net
income was $37.6 million, or 64 cents per share, up from $30.9 million,
or 52 cents per share, in the year earlier period. According to analysts
polled by Thomson Reuters, DPZ was expected to earn 60 cents per share
in the quarter.

Total revenue for the quarter was $539.65 million versus revenue of
$501.75 million in the prior year. This also topped the consensus
analyst view of $532.55 million. Domestic same store sales in the fourth
quarter grew 4.7% versus the year earlier, while international same
store sales grew 5.2%.

Due to the company’s strong financial performance and consistent cash
flow, it has initiated and declared a dividend to be paid to
shareholders. The quarterly dividend will be 20 cents per share, making
the annualized dividend payout 80 cents per share. The quarterly
dividend will be paid on March 29 with an ex-dividend date of March 13.

Domino’s Pizza shares were inactive during pre-market trading on Thursday. The stock is up +41.05% over the past twelve months.

The Bottom Line

Shares of Domino’s Pizza (DPZtiny-fullstar.giftiny-fullstar.giftiny-fullstar.giftiny-halfstar.giftiny-blankstar.gif)
will have a dividend yield of 1.71% based on last night’s closing price
of $46.83 and the company’s annualized dividend payout of 80 cents per
share.

http://www.dividend.com/news/2013/dominos-pizza-initiates-dividend-after-strong-q4-earnings-beat-wall-street-views-dpz/?utm_source=Dividend.com+-+Expired&utm_campaign=15db1da1da-Dispatch_expired2_28_2013&utm_medium=email

headline-icon.jpg MOST POPULAR ARTICLES ON DIVIDEND.COM

Went by yesterday around 1130 am to puck up a pizza on the way home from the bank. The place was closed because of some private function. No signs on the door stating this, Found out from the pizza delivery guys, no walk ins but still doing delivery. So I went down Soi 22 to the new pizza place next to the Admiral suites side soi, next to the 7-11. That was a good move better pizza at a better price. I'm done with Dominios.

hey patrick what was the name of that place on 22? would like to try it

Pizza something but you can't miss it. on the right side of soi 22 heading down from sukumvit. They also have other goodies like meatballs, all kinds of pasta etc. The lasagna is great.
  • Like 1

I often eat in that new pizza place on Soi 22. I think it's called Pizzaeli.

It's on the right, past Admiral Suites and the 7-11 and it's just before the New Cowboy Bar. The food is nice and it's reasonably priced. I really like his Greek salad.

The owner seems like a nice guy.