A Personal Story – With A Warning For Almost Everyone

David48

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough one ol' chum. Something we don't think about and sure the airlines don't advertise prevention cos they don't want hundreds of folk walking around all the time during the flight. I always try and book on a 747 and get a seat at the rear of the plane which has just 2 seats together and a longish walk way where 4 toilets are and can walk and do stuff nooooooooo problem. smile.png

• Like 1

Some interesting info here....I hate being cooped up in a window seat in economy for hours on a night flight from the UK to Bangkok.

Try to avoid it at all costs....aisle is better for walking around etc....or better turning left of course.

Maybe I will lay off the booze a bit more. Cheers David and get well soon. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Some interesting info here....I hate being cooped up in a window seat in economy for hours on a night flight from the UK to Bangkok.

Try to avoid it at all costs....aisle is better for walking around etc....or better turning left of course.

Maybe I will lay off the booze a bit more. Cheers David and get well soon. thumbsup.gif

The easy answer is to just move here ..... no more risk of DVT then.

As a side note, DVT only happens to those with a propensity for such problems.

You are born with it, or you aren't.

PS

Get well soon!

As I was told by my Haematologist - The cause of approximately 50% of DVT's remains unknown.

Some might present more risk than others due to genetic and lifestyle factors - but everyone is at risk.... Blood clots in everyone - otherwise we'd bleed to death when we have a nosebleed !

The easy answer is to just move here ..... no more risk of DVT then.

Another point - DVT's are not solely flight related. Sitting in a poorly designed office chair for 5 hours without movement could cause a DVT.

At anytime there is a prolonged restriction or period of slow blood flow in the deep veins we place ourselves at higher risk...

... i.e. wearing tight or poorly fitting clothing, knees bent for prolonged periods, sat in a poorly designed chair, laying in a hospital bed for days on end...

Sorry to hear your bad news, David, hope everything works out for you.

Actually, that's one of the reasons I always fly via the Gulf to the UK and back. A nice couple of hours to stretch your legs and break up that dreadful 11 hour slog.

I had a DVT at 36 years old, still fit and active... (it might have been from blood clot caused by a football injury).

I ended up with a Pulmonary Emolism and in Hospital for 10 days before making a full recovery after being on Warfarin for 6 months.

For anyone flying I recommend: Stay hydrated (drink lots of water), wear the flight socks (they do make a difference).

Now I inject heparin before flying long haul, I wear flight socks on any flight.

I also take baby aspirin as a daily measure.

Information I found out:

7% of Caucasians have Factor V Leiden - a hereditary blood hyper coagulability disorder... i.e. there is a high susceptibility to thrombosis.

Thats a very high % - there are a lot of people who are walking time bombs for DVT's, strokes, heart attacks and pulmonary embolism....

I was told that for 50% of the DVT's there is no traceable cause.

Take these warnings on the flights seriously !

OP: Once you come off your Warfarin and / or Heparin (Clexane) get your blood work done. Find out if you have any susceptibility to thrombosis. I had something in the region of 14 individual tests for various disorders, deficiencies and genetic blood mutations.

very similar to me,after a football injury the hospital put a tight bandage on and i got a dvt,nearly died,as the clot went from my leg to my lung,absolute agony,and hospital for 15 days.I dont use or take anything on my yealry return flight to uk and back,but i do drink plenty of water,juice,no alcohol,and excersise all the time,walk also,on the plane

Thanks for all the comments and wishes above ... warmly appreciated and all liked.

The member richard_smith237 and I have chatted a little about this before.

His comments above are valid ... but my focus is about the long haul flights that we do.

Maybe it's only every 6 months back to England/Europe, Australia or State side.

The thing is that it's not like a mosquito bite that you feel, or a headache that you know is coming. There is no stiffness or cramping or general soreness ... it sneaks up on you.

And it's not the day after you get home, mine took a week.

So, the takeout message is ...

Take the advice you are given on the aircraft, get up and walk around, drink plenty of water, and in future, trust me, I'll be wearing flight socks.

• Like 2

I'm sorry that you are suffering that, David48. I hope it clears up soon.

I always book an isle seat, wear slip on shoes which I kick off once we are airborne, do ankle stretching exercises, walk around from time to time and stand looking out of an exit door window at Afghanistan. I once got off a plane with pains in the legs and took this as a warning.

wear the flight socks (they do make a difference).

maybe but there very small.....No good for my size 13 [48] feet

. Bought years ago in the UK long elastic stocking they come up to my knees, I always wear them on all trips, by bus or plane.

Get well soon David, yes I had it many years ago, not nice at all, go to the Chemist and get some good flight socks much better than the free one on flights + last for years.

Get well soon. I find that keeping adequately hydrated is the biggest issue. I usually fly KLM when going back to the UK and buy 4 or 5 bottles of (way, way over-priced) water before boarding in Bangkok. Unfortunately, on the return fight, KLM (and Schiphol security) are totally retarded and any water that you buy in the secure 'air side' shops is confiscated at the gate. I just annoy the bejezus out of the wait staff on board to keep bringing me cups and usually they get the message and give me a big bottle all to myself!

I started wearing the support socks for flying about 3-4 years ago but reckon I should also wear them on my marathon 6-7 hour drives to and from Isaan as well.

thanks David , I guess i was lucky as I traveled back to Aus and Thailand 5 times a year , now I live here permanent. I am so sorry this has happen to suck a nice guy ....

please take care mate , and rest your clothes pegs .....

Thanks for all the comments and wishes above ... warmly appreciated and all liked.

The member richard_smith237 and I have chatted a little about this before.

His comments above are valid ... but my focus is about the long haul flights that we do.

Maybe it's only every 6 months back to England/Europe, Australia or State side.

The thing is that it's not like a mosquito bite that you feel, or a headache that you know is coming. There is no stiffness or cramping or general soreness ... it sneaks up on you.

And it's not the day after you get home, mine took a week.

So, the takeout message is ...

Take the advice you are given on the aircraft, get up and walk around, drink plenty of water, and in future, trust me, I'll be wearing flight socks.

I also inject myself with Heparin (Clexane) before a long haul flight... (back to the UK twice a year)....

For anyone who has had a DVT or has found out that they have a high susceptibility to Thrombosis they can speak with their Haematologist, or go to a hospital and discuss their concerns with a medical professional who may well be able to prescribe them with Heparin to inject prior to long haul flights.

As David48 so accurately mentions - DVT's sneak up on you (mine took over 3 weeks and it wasn't after flying long haul) - A little pro-activeness and diligence will make all the difference to a number of people who read this thread.

Attention should be paid to any dull aches in the upper calf or behind the knee or close your groin... But, symptoms may not exist or be limited to these areas. IF anyone has any doubt a simple ultra-sound can be perfumed to locate any thrombi (or the absence of).

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

I also got a DVT plus the added complication of pneumonia after returning to Saudi from Thailand (8hr flight I think). I was 38 at the time and I would also consider myself relatively fit non smoker, light drinker and being of a slim build (my opinion ).

I ignored the developing cough, sweats, chills and shortness of breath and the ache in my leg for a couple of days as I was busy with work just back from rotation. The third day I could not get out of bed in the morning and called in sick… got up some time later and was stumbled through the house and my wifes normally brownish face went white, I have never seen the woman looked so shocked in her life crying.gif , and she pointed at my leg which was now black and blue and the size of an elephants.

Called a taxi and straight to the ER… first question they asked me was I on a flight recently. Ended up staying in hospital and being bed ridden for best part of 6 weeks hooked up to oxygen supply and all sorts of drips for the pneumonia and getting the belly injections twice a day for the DVT. Was on the Warfarin for 3 months I think and the stocking thing. The lab could never identify the strain of pneumonia I had picked up in Thailand which was quiet worrying as I deteriorated quite rapidly while in there. The doctors and health care I received in Saudi was 1st class… I owe them my life. It was a truly humbling experience.

Lessons learned for me… take my daily aspirin, flight socks when I fly, and walk around the plane, never ignore coughs, aches pains etc… it’s your bodys way of telling you something is wrong.