Thai Airways Website Is A Nightmare

UbonOz

They are now listed as an unsafe airline

An unsafe airline as listed by who? The FAA, CAA or EASA? AFAIA, TG still operates to all ports covered under these agencies jurisdictions.

I was going to apply for a Citibank account to get the Royal Orchid Visa card. It allows one to use the Thai Air airport lounges anytime he flies (provided the airport has one)

Not quite anytime you fly, allowed 2 visits annually to the Royal Silk Lounge at Suvarnabhumi, it's not really that attractive when you look at it.

All airlines have issues with their websites, look at Singapore Airlines for example. They re-launched their website in May 2011, to this very day they are still having issues with it! Singapore Airlines! One of Asia's premier airlines suffering the same simple issues Thai Airways is facing! Perish the thought! No it's true their website is also a shambles.

Personally haven't had issues with TG's website, their hard product, had plenty (aircraft swaps, delays, meals etc etc etc) all part of the experience that is Thai Airways.

Would a technical glitch on a website prevent me from flying that airline? Not really, in this day and age, plenty of alternate means of getting what you want on the airline you want to fly. But that's me personally.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I book only TG for all internal flights...have done for four years, and never had a single problem.

I am suspicious that some other airlines' trolls are encouraged to bash Thai Air from time to time.

Last Monday, on Thai Smile, I was on a very new B 777 from Bkk to CM. So, no problem with planes, no problem with website.

The real plus in booking with Thai is that you know precisely, right at the beginning, what you are going to have to pay, taxes included.

I am certainly not any airline's troll.

I am a paying customer who expects a certain level of service when parting with my hard earned cash.

If I do not get that service I certainly make it known that I am not satisfied.

In this instance I have been treated badly. I still do not know if the funds have been returned to my credit card or when it is likely to happen.

I have done nothing wrong, I just want to fly from A to B, I still do not have a ticket, this saga has been going on since Wednesday. How long should I wait and how long does it take to get a ticket for a seat on an aircraft?

Before I retired I was in business, I always, always, ensured if a customer had a grievance for whatever reason I would rectify the problem at my expense, not say bad luck you have to re-book again. They should fix the problem.

Just one other item, Thai Smile do not have any B777, they only have A320, it would have been a Thai Airways B777.

Yes, it was Thai Airways, but every time I book CNX-BKK, a pop-up interrupts to say something along the lines of "This is a Thai Smile flight".

They are now listed as an unsafe airline, the planes are old and i hate the Airbus 346 they use, the company is in a mess since sacking the President. Because of this I took the decision to look for a long term reliable airline for all my flights to LHR so now always fly Eva and became a cardholder. Prices are slightly cheaper than thai, same direct flights, comfortable Boeing 777 planes and good flight times

Please supply the reference where they are classed as an unsafe airline? If this was really the case they would be banned from EU and US airspace, put up or stop trolling.

I am sure this breaches forum rules and is slander

Good point, but it would be Libel ? / Slander is 'oral defamation'. As for breaching 'forum rules' - now that IS a can of worms if ever really opened !

• Like 1

The only beef I have got with the Thai service is bonus points system, you have to be in the group checking in.

Having amassed quite a few Royal Silk loyalty points over the years, I went to book a flight for my kids from London to Bangkok before Xmas. When we got to the point where you pay the tax for the flight, I was told that the credit card holder ( i.e. me ) had to be with the group when they checked in. I told them that I would be meeting them on arrival and was then told I had to find another way to pay. So had to phone back another day repeat the process giving my son's credit card number which is not an ideal or secure way to do it.

Are your children listed down as "nominees" i.e you can redeem your points for their travel - if not, do so.

Your credit card verification issue can be alleviated by downloading said form from the Thai Airways website when you make the booking, take it to your nearest Thai Airways office and have them verifiy your credit card.

I find online booking a breeze but try call them and it has taken upto 1 week of phoning several times a day to get through to an operator.

Now i just phone the thai office in bkk and dont bother to try the aussie line

I dont know why they would not have a manage your booking on the website.

Edited by stegser

In Australia I get to the part where I have to put in CC details just doesnt work.They have a 1300 nubber I have to ring in Brisbane they do the booking there for the internet booking price.This might happen 4 times a year.Take me in wheelchair to plane at Brisbane,have some waiting at other end get my luggage and through immigation outside to car.If Thai put up there price $200 I would go with them,they go direct BNE-BKK,

Have just checked the Thai Smile site again, it loads very slowly.

Ubon Ratchathani(UBP) does not appear. As mentioned before it did the other day.

It is Thai Smile aircraft which are used BKK/UBP/BKK.

I think I will send an email to Thai Airways with a link to this topic on this forum. Will be interesting to see if they reply.

As I say in my profile - "As long as people accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it".

last week I booked on the site, received quiq answer from them with confirmation of the frigth a hour later received my tickets by e-mail

I consistently have problems with their 'system'. It times out at least once per booking. And I've had them take the money but not make the booking; have had to get the bank on the phone with them to sort it out. To boot, when you need to make changes to a flight (still in booking process) you have to start all over. Frustrating.

Can't book Thai Air via Expedia.. believe me, I wish I could.

I only book domestic.. and Nok is cheaper but Thai has better baggage allowances and the wife always checks bags.

I am also having problems with the site. I can't get the dropdown menu for departure or destination cities to work at all. So I booked my flight on Singapore Air instead.

One thought for the techies in the forum (I am not one) is that this started shortly after the issue of Java security came out. Could it be that our computers are disabling Java applets that the Thai site relies on?

I book only TG for all internal flights...have done for four years, and never had a single problem.

I am suspicious that some other airlines' trolls are encouraged to bash Thai Air from time to time.

Last Monday, on Thai Smile, I was on a very new B 777 from Bkk to CM. So, no problem with planes, no problem with website.

The real plus in booking with Thai is that you know precisely, right at the beginning, what you are going to have to pay, taxes included.

I always refuse to deal with any company who cannot state the full price for their services up front, some airlines and hotels, ie Agode, are notorious for this.

I went to the Thai Main ticket office in Silom road to buy a ticket for someone else from Montreal to Bangkok. Mission impossible. I never understood why. I then got (a much cheaper) ticket one stop via Qatar on the internet. Thai offered no service at all and the lady behind the counter had an attitude problem that does not exactly make me want to go back. I have been a loyal Thai customer for years and years, but am getting fed up with their prices and poor service.

Edited by ekkamai
  • Like 1

I've been a fan of China Airlines for years. Their website is easy to navigate, the cabin service for international flights is very good, and I've changed my itinerary several times at no charge. The only quirk is that to do bookings, you CANNOT use Firefox, it must be completed with IE. You can browse and do most things with Firefox, but to complete a credit card transaction, it will choke on Firefox. No added 3% with credit card purchase from their website.

They probably got a new management - from a competitor. Thai have a Premium Economy it is not on the home page, so EVA Airlines is a fine choice and cheaper, EVA will be a Star Member in 2013 they have a fine Premium Economy.

BKK-HKG-BKK do they want to close that connection ? With Ethiopean B 9.800 and Thai B !5.700 both Star Alliance. There are other connections to HKG all to much lower prices. They probably operate a A 380 that has a better economy.

Homepage is made by a competitor I normally look at Eticket, there I can select Business Class but not Premium Economy and see what airline to select from the prices mentioned.

Thai Airways have their loans in Yen so they could adjust prices a little down, as the Yen is down.

I've flown near a hundred flights at varying times both international and domestic paying with my UK amex card and haven't had any issues.. not saying they don't exist but I have been quite happy with the service over the years..

Kurt

I've flown near a hundred flights at varying times both international and domestic paying with my UK amex card and haven't had any issues.. not saying they don't exist but I have been quite happy with the service over the years..

Kurt

I did try with my UK AMEX, homepage did not accept it !

Danbit,

The only time you will get the PE on TG is when you fly BKK-LAX as it's only available on this route. Obviously when TG stop this route these aircraft will be deployed elsewhere on the network.

FWIW PE is displayed as a choice on the homepage when selecting a fare choice - it's simply adjacent to the Economy selection i.e Economy/Premium Economy..

Hello,

As a retired airline manager I am astounded by the web site. It is really disfunctional. Slow, prone to time out and unreliable.

We just returned from a trip to Sapporo on TG. Check in took 35 minutes due to the low number of staffed positions. Outbound the 777-300ER cabin was worn and tired looking. The cabin crew seemed pleasant enough but it is a short, overnight, trip so there isn't much interaction with passengers. The return flight had a newer aircraft but the crew was barely civil. Passive agressive behavior. The food was poor and the cost quite high. I am finished with flying on paid tickets on Thai. It is my (purely subjective) impression that the CEO coup has damaged Thai.

I flew their non-stops to LAX. I knew that they were doomed due to the lousy economics of the A340-500. singapore has stopped their non-stops for the same reason. Seems a shame when the B777-200LR can fly the route with a full playload 75% of the year.

I am still trying to recover the charged amount on the credit card which Thai Airways say they never collected.

Email I received yesterday, quoted under, indicates it is not their problem.

"Dear Sir,

Thanks for your review.

As I have checked , there are 3 transactions actually but they were not completed and those amont weren't collected by THAI airways.

After you get the email about release credit blocked from THAI airways department ( BKKNC) ,kindly check this problem with your credit card issuer bank on the department of payment autorization not call center .

They will make you be clearer and they will return your money which might take time depends on your bank process.

We insist that we didn't collected your money ."

I have not re-booked as I want the funds credited first.

I will not book with Thai Airways again as I am not confident the same problem will not happen again.

I only ever use them for internal flights. Their international cabin service is awful and they are overpriced.

Any examples, complaints made to the airline or just Thai bashing?

Last time I used them to London was a couple of years ago. Old tired aircraft London- BKK- London. No seat back entertainment, terrible service and on the return overnight leg the staff just wanted to serve the meal as quick as possible and then disappear.

Maybe OK by your standards Rab but light years away from Emirates.

Can someone please explain why Thai insist on serving the ridiculous packed meals on short domestic sectors? Most are taken away by the passengers in bags and I'd rather have money knocked of the ticket than get a packaged meal on a 50 minute flight.

Edited by Jay Sata

Last time I used them to London was a couple of years ago. Old tired aircraft London- BKK- London. No seat back entertainment, terrible service and on the return overnight leg the staff just wanted to serve the meal as quick as possible and then disappear.

Maybe OK by your standards Rab but light years away from Emirates.

The good news about the recent pay rise must have trickled down to the check-in staff at Suvarnabhumi and cabin crew on TG610 last Sunday, Bangkok to Heathrow. Truly, excellent service at check-in with a fast-moving conga line taking all of 15 minutes to check-in. Onboard, there were choices for main course at dinner AND breakfast, loads of extra passes through the cabin with coffee, tea, bread rolls, wine, beer, etc.. Frequent passes with water and juices through the night and just as frequent picking up of empty cups... I wish the OTHER airlines would clean up the cabin as they go! The toilets were cleaned frequently and were as pristine after 10 hours of flying as it was just after take-off. Smiling and attentive service with attendants that actually help boarding customers put bags in the overhead. Two empty seats next to me at the back of Coach and I reckon the seat pitch was around 36" on this A340. On-time push back and early arrival over England but circled until the slot was free for an on-time arrival that gave me enough time to change terminals AND have a pint! My checked bag passed all the way through to Aberdeen as well.

Another hugely satisfied THAI flyer.

Can someone please explain why Thai insist on serving the ridiculous packed meals on short domestic sectors? Most are taken away by the passengers in bags and I'd rather have money knocked of the ticket than get a packaged meal on a 50 minute flight.

You have choices. You can refuse the box set... or take it home.

But if it is truly the costs that you are concerned about and despise THAI so much, you could fly AirAsia... or Nok Air. No packed lunch, cheaper fare.... and NO whining. Bonus!

• Like 1

Back on topic: I haven't experienced any recent issues with the THAI website. I did have the situation where a domestic booking 'hung' for several minutes and I pondered what had happened. I waited about 30 minutes, then checked online with the charge card and saw no activity and then called THAI and they confirmed that the booking never happened and suggested I try again. It worked! But that is only one buggered up online booking out of a couple of hundred over 5 or 6 years.

However, I will agree that their website and particularly their booking engine is really old technology and could do with a better interface and more online options like changing bookings and check in.

Apart from the fact that the TG website has the aesthetic appeal and functionality of a secondary school HTML class project, I just tried to book a domestic flight and the departure and destination pulldowns didn't load the cities. No way to select cities without that and I was in a bit of a rush, so I went over over to the Bangkok Airways site and booked a flight. I never have a problem with their site, and it looks great too.

Back on topic: I haven't experienced any recent issues with the THAI website. I did have the situation where a domestic booking 'hung' for several minutes and I pondered what had happened. I waited about 30 minutes, then checked online with the charge card and saw no activity and then called THAI and they confirmed that the booking never happened and suggested I try again. It worked! But that is only one buggered up online booking out of a couple of hundred over 5 or 6 years.

However, I will agree that their website and particularly their booking engine is really old technology and could do with a better interface and more online options like changing bookings and check in.

I've had exactly the same thing happen many times. After getting through all the flight and passenger details and putting in my credit card and clicking next, everything just hangs. So after all that, I have to call reservations since the booking may or may not have been successful and charged my card. And then I am told by the phone agent that the fare I just tried to book was an internet only fare, and they was only able to offer a more expensive fare. "But I tried to book it on your site and it hangs, how can I get the lower fare", to which the agent invariably replies "Sorry, sir". And this to a TG Gold member of more than ten years!

My experience yesterday was trying to book a flight to HKG, but all the flights on that day were fully booked. Keeping in mind that one "benefit" of TG Gold is a guaranteed economy seat on any flight, even if it is full. I called TG to attempt that, was put on hold for around five minutes, then the agent came back and said "Sorry, sir, that flight is VERY full, so we cannot get a seat for you". Now what is the difference between a bit full and "very full"? But more importantly, how can Thai advertise the benefit of a guaranteed seat, but then deny that benefit when the flight is "very full".

I have really just about had it with TG. I travel business class about 90% of the time, and the same old cheaply done food has become so boring, I usually just skip it if the flight is long. Most of the business class seats are sub-par and aircraft interiors are getting old and shabby. I have been flying Emirates a lot lately, and what a world of difference they are compared to TG, right through from the web site to the lounges and the inflight experience.