Why Old Cars Have No Power When Aircon Is On?

Sandman77

Is there a technical way , to fix the problem that the car has less power when aircon is on, for example a stronger battery?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Get the air on serviced. Get the car serviced.

oh dear!...the aircon when on enables a clutch to a pump which has it's own belt from the engine...ie uses your engine power...open a window instead maybe?

Older cars have less power generally so add to that the power consumed by the A/C and...

In Indonesia 1.5 or 1.6l Kijangs are notoriously asthmatic. To get a bit of extra ooph for overtaking it is common to temporarily turn off the A/C. Some guys fitted switches like those used in the old days for Overdrive to turn off the A/C when passing or going up long hills.

Is there a technical way , to fix the problem that the car has less power when aircon is on, for example a stronger battery?

oh dear!...the aircon when on enables a clutch to a pump which has it's own belt from the engine...ie uses your engine power...open a window instead maybe?

Yes and it has been proven that if both the engine and air are operating properly then the power decrease will be minimal power reduction :)

How olds the car ?

Aircon compressors used to be multi piston which really did use a lot of engine power, as the engine via a belt drove these multi pistons, different now, thats how small cc cars can have aircon.

If the system is over gas pressure it will take more engine power to run it. Get it pressure tested.

Yes and it has been proven that if both the engine and air are operating properly then the power decrease will be minimal power reduction smile.png

I guess it depends on the car. A/C uses about 4hp so if it is like an asthmatic Kijang that is about 5% of the engines output.

Its benzin 91 for 36,5 bath one liter in the city and 38,5 here in the Isaan country!

Drive your car with RED colored signs promoted 91 REAL Gasoline, costs about 44 - 46.- ? Baht a Liter, that is the right Gasoline for your old car!

But that 91 Gasoline RED without mixing of Ethanol is getting rare, but try!

Even the 95 Gasoline with Ethanol is better that the 91 Gasoline with Ethanol, look to find 91 RED! No Ethanol in that kind! Same in the good old days!