Renting A Place To Live In Chiang Mai

Celcius

I had a couple questions about renting in CM. I'll be moving there in a couple months with a tourism visa (90 days to start, hopefully extend it as needed.)

I was hoping to find a place online. Any suggestions? Are there any laws, rules, or regulations I need to follow to rent a condo? Any common scams that I should be aware of?

If anyone had some recommendations for a nice place to rent. Two bedrooms needed. That would be fantastic.

Thanks, I look forward to being an active part of this forum as I move forward with this adventure.

Cheers.

Edited by Celcius

Why don't you just google Chiang Mai real estate rentals. Here you will find many real estate agencies that deal in home and condo rentals. Other than a hotel room by the day I would not lease anything on line sight unseen.Pictures may look fantastic but when you get there the place is a dump or in a very undesireable location. Even if the location is good there could be a bar beside it that blares deafening music until 1 or 2 AM.

• Like 1

You might wan to check your visa since tourist visa's are 2 months only but you can extend them by one month

Not sure about now but when I first came over I got my visa in Vancouver. It was three entries each one for 60 days. You can then get a 30m day extension on each one giving you 270 days. Perhaps that visa is no longer available or it was only available in Canada.

Check with the local Embassy or subsidiary where you live.

You might want to give a few more clues as to what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay. For instance I pay for the location and the view. The place is not exactly wonderful but I have been here six years and still enjoy the view of the river with the mountains in the background. I could afford twice what I pay but then I would be unhappy with the location. Are you planing on getting a vehicle of one type or another that to can influence where you go. Are you looking for the yuppie scene. Chiang Mai has just the area for you complete with a university.

What ever you do I am sure you will come to love are little village other than in the smokey seasonsad.png

Be sure to do as previous posters have said do not book any thing on line. They always look far better than the reality and they could be 50 feet away from a karioke bar. Come and check in to a hotel or guest house then get out and do a hands on inspection of your own. Study as much as you can about Chiang Mai and you might have an idea of the area you want to locate in.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

You might wan to check your visa since tourist visa's are 2 months only but you can extend them by one month

Thanks, you're right. I made a mistake

Not sure about now but when I first came over I got my visa in Vancouver. It was three entries each one for 60 days. You can then get a 30m day extension on each one giving you 270 days. Perhaps that visa is no longer available or it was only available in Canada.

Check with the local Embassy or subsidiary where you live.

You might want to give a few more clues as to what you are looking for and how much you are willing to pay. For instance I pay for the location and the view. The place is not exactly wonderful but I have been here six years and still enjoy the view of the river with the mountains in the background. I could afford twice what I pay but then I would be unhappy with the location. Are you planing on getting a vehicle of one type or another that to can influence where you go. Are you looking for the yuppie scene. Chiang Mai has just the area for you complete with a university.

What ever you do I am sure you will come to love are little village other than in the smokey seasonsad.png

Be sure to do as previous posters have said do not book any thing on line. They always look far better than the reality and they could be 50 feet away from a karioke bar. Come and check in to a hotel or guest house then get out and do a hands on inspection of your own. Study as much as you can about Chiang Mai and you might have an idea of the area you want to locate in.

Thanks for the great advice! I think I am looking around the Chang Phuak area, or a little more south/east of there. What is that area called? I am looking to pay as cheap as possible, like 10-20k depending on what I get. I like the idea of finding a place to rent for a short time while I look.

I'm thinking something around this area -- how is this area? http://goo.gl/maps/IOETG

Edited by Celcius

You'll be here during low season, so there won't be a problem with availability. If you book online or in advance, you might end up beside a construction zone. Did you know, for example, that in the center of the area you indicated, there's a massive new development underway - Maya shopping center. You wouldn't want to be close to that until at least next year.

Get a hotel room for 2 or 3 days somewhere central and make enquiries when you arrive. There are lots of places in the area you mentioned whose business is to rent month to month places - but there's a lot of construction, and who knows where they'll break ground in a few months time. Landlords generally want 6month rentals, but they might be more flexible if you're renting 3 months in the off-season. Choose some places online to view the week before you arrive, but don't agree to anything until you've seen them.

I'm thinking something around this area -- how is this area? http://goo.gl/maps/IOETG

You've circled three areas

Bottom half ...... Nimanhymen, yuppy and pricey

Top Left ....... Jet Yot, cheap, rooms around the Lanna College can be had for 2k/month

Top right, Santhitham, loads of places around 5k/month

Emporium residence in Santhitham road is fairly good at 5k/month, right in the center of students

http://www.emporiumchiangmai.com/

Loads of other places in the same road.

You'll be here during low season, so there won't be a problem with availability. If you book online or in advance, you might end up beside a construction zone. Did you know, for example, that in the center of the area you indicated, there's a massive new development underway - Maya shopping center. You wouldn't want to be close to that until at least next year.

Get a hotel room for 2 or 3 days somewhere central and make enquiries when you arrive. There are lots of places in the area you mentioned whose business is to rent month to month places - but there's a lot of construction, and who knows where they'll break ground in a few months time. Landlords generally want 6month rentals, but they might be more flexible if you're renting 3 months in the off-season. Choose some places online to view the week before you arrive, but don't agree to anything until you've seen them.

I didn't know about the construction, thanks! Also the low season, that should help.

You've circled three areas

Bottom half ...... Nimanhymen, yuppy and pricey

Top Left ....... Jet Yot, cheap, rooms around the Lanna College can be had for 2k/month

Top right, Santhitham, loads of places around 5k/month

Emporium residence in Santhitham road is fairly good at 5k/month, right in the center of students

http://www.emporiumchiangmai.com/

Loads of other places in the same road.

Thanks for that link, it appears it's quite possible to get a nice place for a good prices as long as you know where to look. I can't see how many bedrooms some of those suites offer, it just says comfortable for 4-5 people.

Are there any other places similar to that, I wouldn't even mind paying a bit more in the Nimanhymen area.

Thanks for that link, it appears it's quite possible to get a nice place for a good prices as long as you know where to look. I can't see how many bedrooms some of those suites offer, it just says comfortable for 4-5 people.

Are there any other places similar to that, I wouldn't even mind paying a bit more in the Nimanhymen area.

My friends and I have stayed at Emporium and several other places in that area.

The single rooms are very nice ....... Thais all sleep in the same bed.

Get a single room for a week or a month, look around the area.

In that area you have highlighted, there are literally loads and loads of places.....in Santitham expect to pay 5k per month for a room with TV, fridge and aircon. If you want something better, then an apartment in Nimmanhaemin two rooms and/or living area expect to pay 9k-15k?

Generally, 3 months is minimum.

Quite like the look of this place but bit of building going on next door at mo.

http://goo.gl/maps/Epb2F

This place is now finished, I checked out rooms small but nice and now has a vibrant little area going on, coffee shop downstairs, 7-11 close, few nice little Thai places to eat opposite.

http://goo.gl/maps/BAwTU

I have lived in Santitham area on and off for years, I like it. Just be aware if you want peace and quiet, you do not want to be in the rooms overlooking Santitham Plaza, it is quite loud at night!

Edited by kjhbigv

My friends and I have stayed at Emporium and several other places in that area.

The single rooms are very nice ....... Thais all sleep in the same bed.

Get a single room for a week or a month, look around the area.

That sounds like the way to go. Find a place for a bit until I can find something else a little more permanent.

In that area you have highlighted, there are literally loads and loads of places.....in Santitham expect to pay 5k per month for a room with TV, fridge and aircon. If you want something better, then an apartment in Nimmanhaemin two rooms and/or living area expect to pay 9k-15k?

Generally, 3 months is minimum.

Quite like the look of this place but bit of building going on next door at mo.

http://goo.gl/maps/Epb2F

This place is now finished, I checked out rooms small but nice and now has a vibrant little area going on, coffee shop downstairs, 7-11 close, few nice little Thai places to eat opposite.

http://goo.gl/maps/BAwTU

I have lived in Santitham area on and off for years, I like it. Just be aware if you want peace and quiet, you do not want to be in the rooms overlooking Santitham Plaza, it is quite loud at night!

Thanks, I wish I had the names of those places. I guess I'll just have to look around when I arrive!