Thai Airways Board Approves 6.77% Average: Salary Increase

webfact

Thai Airways board approves 6.77% average

Bamrung Amnatcharoenrit

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The national carrier's board of directors yesterday approved extra financial incentives and an increase in salaries as requested by the Thai Airways International Union, ending a dispute that started last month.

Thai Airways International's board, chaired by Ampon Kittiampon, agreed to increase salaries for employees at Levels 1-7 by 7.5 per cent on average, while Level 8-10 workers will enjoy an increase of 5.75 per cent and those at Level 11 will get a 4-per-cent rise. Overall, the average increase in salaries is 6.77 per cent, effective last month.

newsjs

The board also approved an additional Bt300 million to distribute to all employees equally. Currently, THAI employs 26,000, so on average, each staff member will receive more than Bt12,000 from the incentive package. The sum is partly aimed at compensating those who were hit by the flood crisis in 2011. Another objective is to narrow the salary gap caused by an imperfect KPI (key performance indicator) system, said company president Sorajak Kasemsuvan.

Previously, the board approved a one-month bonus at the end of 2012. It also approved Bt200 million for KPI incentives. Sorajak said the board's move yesterday was aimed at increasing staff morale. The company hopes all employees will work together to achieve 12-per-cent growth in revenue this year.

He said the company would also appoint a coordinator to improve relations between management and the labour union. He is willing to talk with the union to solve any problem, especially unfair practices.

The stronger baht has had a slight impact on THAI. To deal with this, it plans to set up a committee to manage cash flow, inviting professionals from financial institutions to be members.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-09

• Like 1

Strike one for the unions. Future problems will now compound as no business can raise salaries by this amount and survive long term if held to ransom for wage rises at this level annually. The unions having succeeded this time will push again next year. Thai have created a rod for their own back and very hard to reverse it. Som Num Na.

• Like 1

Thai Airlines is the most expensive airlines in the asia would. The Thai's in other countries that visit their families use this airline. They will pass this employee increase to the customers...The salaries for flight attendents are not cloose to the flight attendents in the airline industry!!! Maybe $300.00 per month...

Thai Airlines is the most expensive airlines in the asia would. The Thai's in other countries that visit their families use this airline. They will pass this employee increase to the customers...The salaries for flight attendents are not cloose to the flight attendents in the airline industry!!! Maybe $300.00 per month...

Suggest you recheck the salaries of Thai cabin crew, it's a lot more than US$300 per month, a lot more, plus allownaces.

Quote:

... It also approved Bt200 million for KPI incentives. ... In other words pay for performance aligned to agreed KPIs.

At a seminar I once asked a senior Thai HR manager how they check / monitor performance.

His answer: 'Ohh we don't need to check performance because most of our staff have a masters degree'.

• Like 1

I seem to remember reading on here a little while ago that Thai Airways is making a profit. I don't see how if they have pay increases like these. The fares are very high and there seem to be a lot of complaints about them as well. It doesn't seem to add up to me.

I've used them twice to go from BKK to Khon Kaen. Quite expensive but happened to be the easiest option for me. I must admit the planes seem pretty new and I can't fault the service. They sent me a survey to fill out but I gave up when I realised it was impossible for me to complete as it was so badly done so if you hear them going on about their feedback being very positive don't believe them.

'The stronger baht has had a slight impact on THAI. To deal with this, it plans to set up a committee to manage cash flow, inviting professionals from financial institutions to be members.'

Don't they already have people to manage cash flow. Finance directors and accountants and people like that?

Edited by kimamey
  • Like 1

The salary of a Thai Airways senior FA is about 100k Bt (3.300 USD) per month plus allowances. New recruits earn about 30k Bt (1.000 USD) plus allowances.

Family/business connections, and/or cash payments help to land a job. Many 'Hi-So' families’ girls/sons in this club.

Strike one for the unions. Future problems will now compound as no business can raise salaries by this amount and survive long term if held to ransom for wage rises at this level annually. The unions having succeeded this time will push again next year. Thai have created a rod for their own back and very hard to reverse it. Som Num Na.

Thai fares up up up!!! Thai are so expenssive and now no specials any more. I fly around 3 times a year New Zealand-Thailand

I wish there was another airline with direct flights.

That 6.77 problem isn't the problem of TA. They hire way too much staff because someone is the relative of someone who know some politician.

Politics is messing in the board of directors with Thaksin involved at Air Asia.

All the former Board Members and their families can fly for free in the business class. There are reports that it happened that the complete business class was full without one customer paying.

That 6.77 problem isn't the problem of TA. They hire way too much staff because someone is the relative of someone who know some politician.

Politics is messing in the board of directors with Thaksin involved at Air Asia.

All the former Board Members and their families can fly for free in the business class. There are reports that it happened that the complete business class was full without one customer paying.

When companies did some due diligence to consider buying it after 97, the benefits were a lot more than that. Corporate cards that paid for weddings at the oriental for example.

If a skilled, professional management team were to run Thai free of political interference they would be able to remove most of the free airline tickets given to those who do not really deserve them, thus the company could make a lot more money, pay staff according to merit & incentives for good service, get rid of much of their tired old fleet, get rid of the influence of the air force, etc etc. Once upon a time Thai Ariways was one of the best in the world but allowing it to be run by cronies has been its downfall.

The good news must have trickled down the the check-in staff at Suvranabhumi and cabin crew on TG610 last Sunday, Bangkok to Heathrow. Truly, excellent service at check-in with a fast-moving conga line taking all of 15 minutes to check-in. Onboard, there were choices for main course at dinner AND breakfast, loads of extra passes through the cabin with coffee, tea, bread rolls, wine, beer, etc.. Frequent passes with water and juices through the night and just as frequent picking up of empty cups... I wish the OTHER airlines would clean up the cabin as they go! The toilets were cleaned frequently and were as pristine after 10 hours of flying as it was just after take-off. Smiling and attentive service with attendants that actually help boarding customers put bags in the overhead. Two empty seats next to me at the back of Coach and I reckon the seat pitch was around 36" on this A340. On-time push back and early arrival over England but circled until the slot was free for an on-time arrival that gave me enough time to change terminals AND have a pint! My checked bag passed all the way through to Aberdeen as well.

Another hugely satisfied THAI flyer.

Edited by NanLaew

A Thai F/A with 22 years of service makes Baht 22,000/month. Forget that Baht 100,000/month nonsense. If in doubt, ask them.

Did you ask them? I guess not because you are not even close.

Apart from years in service and performance grades the income for a THAI cabin attendant will vary from month to month according to the routes flown & total hours worked.

Their after tax annual income is in the range of 1.2m - 1.8m per annum.