Thai Bank Visa Credit Card/ On Retirement Visa, Obtainable?

I would just use my ATM debit card. As long as you have the cash in the account it will work.

Isn't it easier to get ripped off if you use a debit card. In UK there are stricter laws for refunding against credit card fraud than against debit card fraud. I would never use my UK debit card online. Not sure what the situation is with Thai cards though.

I would just use my ATM debit card. As long as you have the cash in the account it will work.

I cant use my physical debit card online and it has privileged member on it and not my name. I have a kasikorn virtual credit card which works online but then there is no physical card to present at check-in.

I end up using a travel agent in the UK that trusts me, he uses the virtual credit card number and keys it in manually but he is more expensive than most online booking companies.. It adds up when you fly regularly in business class.

So I am also looking to get a credit card, Ive been told I should be able get one easy enough with Kasikorn based on Salary and work permit with no bond being held (which is usually double the card credit limit)

I cant use my physical debit card online and it has privileged member on it and not my name. I have a kasikorn virtual credit card which works online but then there is no physical card to present at check-in.

I see. It's been several years since anyone asked to see my credit card for an e-ticket (purchases via Opodo). It may be worth checking to see if this is still a requirement.

Isn't it easier to get ripped off if you use a debit card. In UK there are stricter laws for refunding against credit card fraud than against debit card fraud. I would never use my UK debit card online. Not sure what the situation is with Thai cards though.

There is indeed a legal difference in the UK but my UK bank guarantees me against all losses due to fraud when using my debit card, on top of the UK legislative protection that covers credit card use. In Thailand I suspect that there is little or no protection on either debit or credit cards, except what Visa may choose to give you.

I see. It's been several years since anyone asked to see my credit card for an e-ticket (purchases via Opodo). It may be worth checking to see if this is still a requirement.

I guess it is up to the check-in agents, I wouldn't have thought it would be a huge issue as long as the name on the card matches the name of the traveller.

Bangkok Airlines gave me a lot of grief once and made me pay again, and refund the credit card.

All Airline websites say you must present the card at check-in.

I'm not sure about the likes of Expedia and Opodo etc.

1. can a retiree get a Visa credit card at all? Against blocked deposit

Yes, but the credit limit will be set by how much you have on deposit to cover that card

2. Does it make sense, cost wise?

Depends, sometime when buying major electrical items some stores / manufacturers will give you a % discount for using a Thai Bank credit card.

For instance Power Buy is currently offering 8% off for Daikin Air Conditioners if a Kbank, SCB, or Bankgkok Bank credit card is used

3. Do you use Thai or mail order from abroad?

Most Thai mail order companies charge extra for a credit card, Thai or Forgeign. I wouldn't bother to use is for mail order abroad since most overseas vendors want a CC issued in their country

Depends, sometime when buying major electrical items some stores / manufacturers will give you a % discount for using a Thai Bank credit card.

For instance Power Buy is currently offering 8% off for Daikin Air Conditioners if a Kbank, SCB, or Bankgkok Bank credit card is used

I got 6% off my TV for purchasing with a Visa debit (ATM) card. They would not give me any discount for paying with the cash that I actually had in my pocket so I went down the street to the bank, paid in the cash, went back to the shop and paid with the card.

Most Thai mail order companies charge extra for a credit card, Thai or Forgeign. I wouldn't bother to use is for mail order abroad since most overseas vendors want a CC issued in their country

I find that most European online vendors these days dont care if the card used comes from the same country as its billing address or the delivery address. Amazon etc certainly dont, and it has never been an issue for any flight ticket I have bought (I lived for decades in mainland Europe but always used a UK-issued card for all online purchases).

US online vendors are probably more fussy.

It should be really possible to get a credit card without work permit but against a fixed deposit, shoul´nt it?

No one, not even Citibank??

I know of a couple of retired people who have an Amex Card without having a Work Permit or being required to lodge a deposit.

You can use a Kasikorn Bank Debit Card for online purchases, and you then have a pysical card to show at check in.

You can even order a Debit Card with your name on it rather than Privileged Member.

http://www.kasikornb...ngbyKDebit.aspx

• Like 1

I guess it is up to the check-in agents, I wouldn't have thought it would be a huge issue as long as the name on the card matches the name of the traveller.

Bangkok Airlines gave me a lot of grief once and made me pay again, and refund the credit card.

All Airline websites say you must present the card at check-in.

I'm not sure about the likes of Expedia and Opodo etc.

If you book directly via the airlines website, then you need to show the card used to purchase the ticket, unless you are really lucky. Most carriers make the point on their websites and many specifically say that virtual cards are not acceptable. Airlines claim this is to prevent fraud.

If you book via an agent, including Expedia and Opodo, then there is no such requirement as the agent carries the risk, they wouldn't have issued the tickets unless they knew their money was safe.

1. can a retiree get a Visa credit card at all? Against blocked deposit

Yes, but the credit limit will be set by how much you have on deposit to cover that card

well I have a Mastercard issued by SCB with a deposit and I regulary use it with Amazon and Allibaba express, Dealxtreme none have ever refused the purchase but Amazon deliverys only on selected items to Thailand, also bought air tickets with LH,Emerites,and BA.

Edited by akampa

It should be really possible to get a credit card without work permit but against a fixed deposit, shoul´nt it?

No one, not even Citibank??

I know of a couple of retired people who have an Amex Card without having a Work Permit or being required to lodge a deposit.

Yes, I was offered a Thai Platinum AmEx card (it is a credit card). I had no work permit (I was working offshore), lady stated that it would be no problem as I'm old enough to have a retirement visa, I didn't follow through at the time.

I do now have one (this time I have a WP), quite painless application and a sensible credit limit.

I am on a Non-O (Thai wife ) extension but live on pensions and investments. I have applied at many banks in Bangkok and been refused because I have no WP. My wife (a Thai) also has been refused because she depends on my income and has no record of employment (retired.) It was suggested we make monthly deposits to her account (20,000 TB was suggested) and then she may be considered for a card and I could get a supplemental card. This has not worked for her either. We just use our Capital One card for airline and large purchases since the do not charge foreign currency fees. I doubt any Thai bank will issue a Thai credit card to a retiree without a secured deposit.