What Do You Love, Hate And Worry About Living Full Time In Thailand?....

krisb

Love the cats, Thai cats are so lovable, and the geography and weather where I am at. Love cheap food that is fantastic.

I love the country but cannot say the same about its people.

Hate the lying and officious touting of the culture as being in line with western ethics such as honesty, when lying is more than acceptable-it is expected. That goes double for safety concerns

The totally acceptable practice of lying, cheating, whatever it takes to get what you want,..all the whole, smiling-that is the worst aspect; FakeLand

Worry that the govt is inept, unable to function in capacity of guardian of resources and is way worse than I think.

• Like 1

Love - Relatively low cost of living, the food, the fact that foreigner status can elevate me above the rules & regulations that restrict the locals, the Thais treat me extremely well

Hate - The fact that the country doesn't provide sufficient opportunity to dissuade local women from entering the sex industry, the fact that much of the foreigner-oriented entertainment is built on promoting excessive alcohol consumption

Worry - Nothing comes to mind

Love - Relatively low cost of living, the food, the fact that foreigner status can elevate me above the rules & regulations that restrict the locals, the Thais treat me extremely well

Hate - The fact that the country doesn't provide sufficient opportunity to dissuade local women from entering the sex industry, the fact that much of the foreigner-oriented entertainment is built on promoting excessive alcohol consumption

Think you forgot theres no welfare system here and so employment anywhere brings in some cash for the family.
  • Like 2

Think you forgot theres no welfare system here and so employment anywhere brings in some cash for the family.

I didn't forget anything but I'm not going to turn this thread into a debate about prostitution's drivers.

My main concerns about living in Thailand, in order of precedence:

1. As I get older, the likelihood of having any major health problems, the lottery of where to go for decent health care and the expense.

2. Being involved in a major road accident or sustaining serious injuries, again, the lottery of where to go for decent emergency care and the expense.

3. Any member of my family having any major health problems or being involved in a major road accident or sustaining serious injuries

4. Thai society breaking down, civil war, conflicts and political strife.

I didn't forget anything but I'm not going to turn this thread into a debate about prostitution's drivers.

My main concerns about living in Thailand, in order of precedence:

1. As I get older, the likelihood of having any major health problems, the lottery of where to go for decent health care and the expense.

2. Being involved in a major road accident or sustaining serious injuries, again, the lottery of where to go for decent emergency care and the expense.

3. Any member of my family having any major health problems or being involved in a major road accident or sustaining serious injuries

4. Thai society breaking down, civil war, conflicts and political strife.

Perhaps you should give it more thought. coffee1.gif

I worry that ThaiVisa "likes" are the only credits that I will be able to take with me into the next life.

I hate that a Thai smile has a thousand meanings, only some of which are friendly.

I love that a Thai smile has a thousand meanings - it keeps me on my toes.

T

• Like 1

I hate the cat bringing live snakes in the house and dropping them beside me as a 'gift'.

Love my baby scrounging food off me ...... most of the time.

Oh boy the number of live baby KC cobras I've swept out of the house. One of our cats had a bite on his foot last week. His foot was the size of a new born kids fist.

Not biting, mate. Enjoy your evening

I agree with that, especially on the health and accident issues.

As we get older in Thailand and if intending to stay for the rest of our natural, it is wise to do some research into where to obtain the best medical care and treatments, estimating what it would all cost if the worse does happen and having some funds placed aside for a rainy day, so to speak.

I know that Thai visa does have Health, mind and body forums and I bet that these are the least visited by members on Thai visa. But it is something, as you rightly say; Perhaps should be given more thought and more interest shown in these matters.

Love:: my wife, the kids and general life in Thailand (apart from the odd hiccup)

Hate;; having to leave every 5 weeks for work

Worry;; the health of my parents being so far away from me, also any possible future visa changes

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2