Does Turning Off The Motor Save A Lot Of Gas?

DavidMavec

Hello:

I have a Honda Click and I am wondering if I am going down a big hill if it saves a lot of gas if I turn off the motor versus simply not applying the throttle at all? Or if I do not apply the throttle at all but the engine is still on am I not really using any gas?

Thanks.

Ha-ha never heard that one before.

On my PCX I safe fuel with the idle stop and I therefore use it most of the time but find it handy you can switch the idle stop off too. No need to stop the engine if the lights at an intersection change in 10 sec,

I guess you can switch the engine off down hill but do you still have lights on the bike?

On the old 2 stroke engines you had to be careful with keeping the throttle closed too long time going down hill, not enough lubricating to the engine and it could size up but you don't have that problem on a 4 stroke engine.

Hello:

I have a Honda Click and I am wondering if I am going down a big hill if it saves a lot of gas if I turn off the motor versus simply not applying the throttle at all? Or if I do not apply the throttle at all but the engine is still on am I not really using any gas?

Thanks.

No. But it does affect your control of the bike.

Hello:

Thanks.

Am curious as to how bike control is effected if merely rolling down a hill, not as though the scoot has power steering or vacuum assisted brakes.

Hello:

Thanks.

Am curious as to how bike control is effected if merely rolling down a hill, not as though the scoot has power steering or vacuum assisted brakes.

**lights**

Hello:

Thanks.

**lights**

If no lights affects your control of a bike I suggest you think about walking.

Hello:

Thanks.

You have lost the ability to accelerate out of danger.

Also don't forget it's not so simple restarting an auto bike while in motion.

In my view an extremely silly idea.

Accelerate out of what danger coasting down a hill ?

Engine off and it is nothing more than a glorified push bike.

Honestly spoonman I expected more from you. This is Thailand when is there NOT danger on the highways. I could say accelerate out of YOUR WAY :D:P

Starting an engine is one of the most juice-consuming things you can do to it other than driving around at high revs. Can't see the sense in switching it off unless you're gonna be rolling downhill for longer than three or four minutes - and that's an awfully long hill!

I've seen people turn off their engines to wait at the traffic lights for a minute presumably in an attempt to save fuel (in reality they're achieving the opposite).

Starting an engine is one of the most juice-consuming things you can do to it other than driving around at high revs. Can't see the sense in switching it off unless you're gonna be rolling downhill for longer than three or four minutes - and that's an awfully long hill!

I've seen people turn off their engines to wait at the traffic lights for a minute presumably in an attempt to save fuel (in reality they're achieving the opposite).

I disagree, why would a manufacturer like Honda make auto stop on pcx/clicks if it don't work? I also fell the difference on my pcx if I use it or not, so I use it saving fuel/money.

Edited by guzzi850m2

I disagree, why would a manufacturer like Honda make auto stop on pcx/clicks if it don't work? I also fell the difference on my pcx if I use it or not, so I use it saving fuel/money.

idle stop technology from honda is completely different from manually turning your bike off and then having to restart it

i think its a useful feauture and they claim it saves 5-7% gas in city use

it isnt on the new honda forza 300 for some reason though

The reason I asked is because I was recently on tour in northern Thailand with my bike and ran into a sticky situation where I had less gas in the tank than I expected when I set out from the last town. I was going down a huge hill (15 minutes I would guess) and turned off the engine and was able to make it to the next gas pump. It's not a situation I hope to be in again but wanted to ask and see if I was actually saving gas. I got my answer, thanks. By the way the lights were still on so I am not sure what all this talk about losing control of the bike is.

I have also heard that the belief that starting an engine uses a lot of gas is actually a myth.

Make a slight mistake with the key and you might lock the steering eh. w00t.gif

You would need move the bars to the locked position to do so and at that angle whilst in forward motion you'll be going straight over them.

Yeh, until a numnut pulls out on you eh. laugh.png

I'd agree with guzzi that auto-stop has been proven efficient but I imagined OP doing a full key stop and start for a short period only. I see now that this was a fifteen minute roll down the hill in which case there is no way it couldn't have saved fuel.

A disputable myth IMO David. Watch a trip or consumption meter on hard startup and it can show up to three times cruising consumption for a number of seconds and will often take quite a while to settle. (not disagreeing with you that some think it's a myth - I have just always believed it to be the case)

You would need move the bars to the locked position to do so and at that angle whilst in forward motion you'll be going straight over them.

Your not familiar with the locking feature of the bars on a scooter are you.

Your not familiar with the locking feature of the bars on a scooter are you.

I am when the key is turned as well as the handle bars BUT noooooooooo need to argue eh. Chill out. smile.png

The reason I asked is because I was recently on tour in northern Thailand with my bike and ran into a sticky situation where I had less gas in the tank than I expected when I set out from the last town. I was going down a huge hill (15 minutes I would guess) and turned off the engine and was able to make it to the next gas pump. It's not a situation I hope to be in again but wanted to ask and see if I was actually saving gas. I got my answer, thanks. By the way the lights were still on so I am not sure what all this talk about losing control of the bike is.

I have also heard that the belief that starting an engine uses a lot of gas is actually a myth.

i pity you.

I often roll down the hill, engine off from Doi Pui in CM to CM ........ over 20Km taking approx 30 minutes.

My new Honda Click with idle stop turns itself off after 3 seconds not moving, Honda claim it saves 5% fuel costs.

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

idle stop technology from honda is completely different from manually turning your bike off and then having to restart it

What is the difference? I really would like to know. Thanks yipyipya.

I turn my bike off at long lights to cool the engine a little but all i know you save fuel too if it is an fuel injected bike as it uses less fuel on restarting the engine.

If i know it wrong, please correct me people.

And going down the hill with engine off, you save a 50 satang maybe.

Besides, dont worry for the lights as if you turn the key on even without turning the engine on, lights will come but less powerful - battery life will be less if you do it all the time -. But lights are not the major concern.

As stated, you cannot save your a.s from an urgency if you do not have throttle.

On top of that, no throttle means no decent grip and most important of all, no engine breaking, means an easy way to go down hill on the first sharp turn:D

It is too dangerous for 50 satang and you eat your brake pads fast too.

Just go down with engine on and use throttle on turns or when needed.

I prefer to go down a hill with full throttle possible though:lol:

Edited by loserlazer

What is the difference? I really would like to know. Thanks yipyipya.

idle stop if i understand it correctly stops the piston when the bike is stationary for 3 seconds and automatically starts it again in milliseconds when you give it some gas,a better worded explanation is :

"the system detects which piston is in the best position to restart quickest, which is the one in the combustion stroke phase, where air and fuel are in the cylinder, ready to be ignited. The mixture in this cylinder is ignited by the spark plug, forcing that piston down, resulting in a near instantaneous engine start time of 0.35 seconds."

the brake lights and indicators and everything works on the bike when it is stationary using idle stop and thers no way you could be as fast as doing it manually every time as the honda technology

you cant control downhill speeds on a pcx with engine braking or clutch control anyway so it wont affect your brake pads any worse than usual

the technology isnt even exclusive to honda ,other manufacturers have got it also and its probably going to incorporated more and more in the future vehicles

http://en.wikipedia....art-stop_system

Edited by YipYipYa123
  • Like 1