Getting My Citizenship By Descent

Hey guys,

I've been searching for hours to find a case similar to mine but have yet to found any.. So hoping that you guys could shed some light on my current situation.

I was born in Singapore to a Thai mum and a Singaporean Father. As such, I currently hold a Singapore Citizenship. Now, I've decided to move back to Thailand and would like to obtain my Thai citizenship via descent considering that my mother is Thai. I'm currently holding a Non-"O" visa on the basis that I have a Thai mum and that has been stamped on my passport by the immigration officer who issued the visa. You know, the one that says your mum is thai.

My questions are as follow:

1. My parents are now divorced, will I need to present my father's identification or they can make do with the divorce letter which have been translated and approve by the Singapore Ministry of Affairs.

2. I'm unable to return to Singapore for a very very personal reason (so please drop going back to singapore to get it done an option), will I be able to settle everything in Thailand?

3. How long will it take? And will I be issued with any document to prove that my birth cert is being issued so that I may work legally?

4. I'm renting an apartment in BKK now, is it possible to get a house registration that way?

I hope you guys will be able to shed some light on this for me.

Worriedly,

I have actually.. But the answers varies from person to person and also the time that I ask.. I also forgot to mention that I've got a document from the Attorney-General Office of Thailand backing up that I'm a Thai Citizen and enjoys the same rights as a Thai. I went to get it initially when my Mother wasn't that open to the idea.

Do you have a Thai birth certificate? You get that through the Thai Embassy/Consulate in the country you were born in. You should ask them what you will need to get the ball rolling.

Once you have that, apply for a Thai ID card and Passport.

Terry

Do you have your birth certificate showing your mother as being Thai?

Her ID card and house book?

Have your birth certificated certified by the Singapore embassy (if possible).

You will need to have your birth certificate translated to Thai and have it certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

You would then need to go to the Amphoe (with mother if possible) where your mother is registered and have your birth registered there.

At that time you be entered in your mothers house book and be issued a Thai ID card.

But by the law in Singapore you will be required to denounce your citizenship there since they do not allow dual nationality.

Do you have your birth certificate showing your mother as being Thai?

Her ID card and house book?

Have your birth certificated certified by the Singapore embassy (if possible).

You will need to have your birth certificate translated to Thai and have it certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

You would then need to go to the Amphoe (with mother if possible) where your mother is registered and have your birth registered there.

At that time you be entered in your mothers house book and be issued a Thai ID card.

But by the law in Singapore you will be required to denounce your citizenship there since they do not allow dual nationality.

Yes. My Singapore Birth Certificate does list my mother being of Thai Nationality at the time of birth. My mum does have her ID card and I have a photocopy of it with me. We are based in Bkk. House registration, say I can't get it, would they still process it or?

Two important issues.

If born in singapore from a Thai mother, you will need to get a Thai birth certificate from the Thai embassy in Singapore. You can also get this through the Thai Foreign Ministry, consular department at CW-road. (They will sent your application to the embassy in Singapore). For this you will need your Singaporean Birth certificate and docuements about your parents.

Do realize that getting Thai nationality might have consequences for your Singaporean citizenship.

It might also be that your Thai nationality was renounced, although unlikely. In that case you can get your nationality back reletively easy. But I suspect this was not done.

The duration depends a bit, but can take a few months since the birth certificate aplication must be send to Singapore and the embassy have to send it back.

You can be added to a household registration book, if on a non-immigrant visa and the home owner will allow this. (Many will not).

There have been reports of people getting the birth registration done in here in Thailand. Without having to have it sent to the embassy where child was born.

What would somebody do if their was no Thai embassy or consulate in the country where a child was born?

Edited by ubonjoe

There have been reports of people getting the birth registration done in here in Thailand. Without having to have it sent to the embassy where child was born.

What would somebody do if their was no Thai embassy or consulate in the country where a child was born?

Do you still have the source of said report? Hopefully someone whom have done so that way can enlighten me.

I suspect they would use the Embassy with jurisdiction over that location. But as said it can be done inside Thailand with MFA help. As poster says return to Singapore is not possible are we to assume Singapore citizenship is no longer required (as this may well effect that). Currently stay in Thailand on one year extensions of stay is easy.

I suspect they would use the Embassy with jurisdiction over that location. But as said it can be done inside Thailand with MFA help. As poster says return to Singapore is not possible are we to assume Singapore citizenship is no longer required (as this may well effect that). Currently stay in Thailand on one year extensions of stay is easy.

Yes. I no longer need my Singapore citizenship. I'm more than willing to burn my Singapore passport, Birth certificate and Identity card once everything is done.

Yes. I no longer need my Singapore citizenship. I'm more than willing to burn my Singapore passport, Birth certificate and Identity card once everything is done.

In the future you may find it harder to travel on a Thai passport than a Singapore passport. So make sure you've thought this through.

As said, the Thai MFA will sent it to the embassy in Singapore for processing without a problem.

While doing so, will they give me any form of documentation to prove that I'm a thai citizen?

You can ask for a paper that they are porcessing your application, this should give you a 1 year extension of stay. Long enough to obtain your Thai nationality. The birth certificate and letter you already have sould already be enough.

For getting the Thai birt Certificate you should probably contact:

Consular Department

Passport Division

Tel : 0-2981-7257-60 Fax : 0-2981-7256 Email : consular(AT)mfa.go.th

don't do this huge mistake, you're lucky enough to come from one of the two develloped countries in south east asia!!!

you can travel wherever you want and can get visa easily, don't throw this away.

if your home country was allowing dual citizen ship, why not, but in your case it looks like a rush/fear decision.

i got a .eu passport and will never trade it for a third world country nationnality.

one thing you might have forgotten is that if you're thai, then you'll be hired on thai wages....