Long Pants Requiard To Get Drivers Licence, What The?

wildorchid

In Dubai you'll be turned away at most bars if wearing flip-flops - now mind you inside the bar are countless hookers. In Bahrain long pants are required at most bars -

So, it's not a stretch to see long pants required in thailand. The signs say to dress respectfully. In samui where I got my license I saw the Thais were for the most part dressed smartly. Nothing wrong with dressing up once in a while. Tho at times it's more fun to complain.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I went in shorts and 45 mins later I was out with car and mc licenses in my pocket.

I can only suppose there was another issue, not just the clothes.

I witnessed some Americans dealing with Thais as they deal with fellow Americans in the states, i.e barely greeting, not smiling, not looking at them when speaking, short sentences and turning away without goodbye. In the US, this might not be considered particularly impolite, but in Thailand it's definitely a no-no.

Depends how long the shorts are, but being Thailand will vary from office to officesmile.png

Edited by simple1

Having just got my license yesterday (wearing long pants i.e. jeans) I think instead of worrying about long pants, the Govt should sort the efficiency of their govt offices out!!

After arriving at the first office (outside of Bangkok) the ladies there could not decipher my old style UK driving license. I was therefore sent to another office on Rama 2. Again here they couldn't understand my driving license. Myself and my wife showed them what categories etc I was entitled to drive and pointed out the category explanations on the license. I was told that I would have to print off from the internet category explanations and come back. Again I pointed out that the license had all the explanations that they needed. after 2 hours of deliberation they agreed to give me a license. Shock horror i didnt realise that you needed a med certificate, so i was directed to the local clinic. I walked out of the building and hailed a m/c taxi, he asked me if i needed to get a med cert, told me no problem you wait here. within 10 mins he had returned with a med cert in my name (without me going anywhere) and it cost a total of 110bht for this service.

Back upstairs to the office, sent upstairs for an eye test. Got in the queue, (you have to put your chin on a rest and a coloured dot flashes on either side of your eyes) every one in the line got the red dot on the left, green dot on the right sequence. that 10 second test finished I went to walk off but was directed to join the queue again (shock horror had I failed?) No, as I was applying for a car license AND a motorcyccle license it was deemed i had to have 2 eye tests (1 test for each license) Again after getting the red dot green dot I was sent back downstairs. After another long wait finally got to sit down have my pic taken and was issued 2 licenses (why have a seperate license for each vehicle?)

And the total cost for the Govt wasting 6 hours of my life? (and 6 hours of manpower it takes the govt to issue a license)

A grand total of 160 baht - now theres inneficiency if ever I saw it!!!

As a footnote, lots of Thais were wearing shorts.

• Like 1

Maybe the official did not get any 'nookie' the night before. Maybe PMS or whatever. Some foreigner cut the official up in traffic. Bad attitude from some foreigner earlier who was wearing shorts? ..... who knows?

All I know is a month or so ago I too turned up in shorts and T-shirt and I sat the tests in Pattaya and got my licence for the m/c.

But, if the policy at that office stays the same wear long pants for the day and problem solved.

As with many such things, a lot seems to depend on which office you go to. For example, government offices in Pattaya tend not to worry about shorts and I have certainly never been turned away from the DL place, or Immigration, or the tax office for wearing them. I suppose it's because they have seen so much worse.

complete BS...

Different countries have their own forms of BS. This is theirs. If you want to be happy here you just learn to accept it unthinkingly because you can't do a dam_n thing about it. It's easier after a few years. And consider the advantages: occasionally you do want to drive on the wrong side of the road . . . wink.png

Edited by JSixpack

As with many such things, a lot seems to depend on which office you go to. For example, government offices in Pattaya tend not to worry about shorts and I have certainly never been turned away from the DL place, or Immigration, or the tax office for wearing them. I suppose it's because they have seen so much worse.

Speedos?

Maybe the official did not get any 'nookie' the night before. Maybe PMS or whatever. Some foreigner cut the official up in traffic. Bad attitude from some foreigner earlier who was wearing shorts? ..... who knows?

All I know is a month or so ago I too turned up in shorts and T-shirt and I sat the tests in Pattaya and got my licence for the m/c.

But, if the policy at that office stays the same wear long pants for the day and problem solved.

Being you are in Pattaya i guess the Govt officials there already realise that trying to get the expat community put on a pair of trousers and a pair of shoes is too tough a task!

• Like 1

I think as mentioned...those that get 'attitude' from thais for wearing shorts....usually have other issues....so, try looking a little deeper at yourselves rather than make general excuses.

I attended the Pattaya office, all documentation correct, smiling with please can you help me etc, just refused to take the doco as I was wearing shorts, but not knee length, apparently knee length is fine, but not shorter...lesson learnt for next visit - a trivial bit of information, but can save the return trip home to change clothes

I think as mentioned...those that get 'attitude' from thais for wearing shorts....usually have other issues....so, try looking a little deeper at yourselves rather than make general excuses.

I attended the Pattaya office, all documentation correct, smiling with please can you help me etc, just refused to take the doco as I was wearing shorts, but not knee length, apparently knee length is fine, but not shorter...lesson learnt for next visit - a trivial bit of information, but can save the return trip home to change clothes

Oh I see....so you wear shorts like this ...

freak-in-tight-jeans-shorts.jpg

I can understand the issue now, I would kick you lot out also with camel toes and self inflicted wedgies happening

• Like 2

I can understand the issue now, I would kick you lot out also with camel toes and self inflicted wedgies happening

Camel toes? More like elephant ears.

• Like 1

Being you are in Pattaya i guess the Govt officials there already realise that trying to get the expat community put on a pair of trousers and a pair of shoes is too tough a task!

In this heat, yes :)

But not man Thai men wear long pants to that office either.

Also I had no issues from those at the office over the way I was dressed.

My mrs wont let me out the gate unless l wear long troooooooooosers. blink.png

I said why, she said your legs are tooooo beautiful for the ladies to see. huh.png

I said perhaps l should wear shorts when l have to go through all the visa crap.

She said, you might talk to a bloke there. w00t.gif

Do those shorts make my arse look big? :rolleyes:

Long pants is a requirement in every government office in Thailand.

If it is a requirement....where is the signs ?....and it is obviously never enforced.

Never saw a sign sayin' I can't pee in the hallways, either.

I'm a little surprised they don't have guys renting long pants at the front door, like they rent long dresses in front of the Grand Palace.

And for those who think it's sexist to make men wear different clothes than women, I'd remind you they allow men on the beach with no top on.... Kind of evens thing out.

Edited by impulse

How about amputees ??? amputated above the knee?

Long pants is a requirement in every government office in Thailand.

If it is a requirement....where is the signs ?....and it is obviously never enforced.

Never saw a sign sayin' I can't pee in the hallways, either.

I'm a little surprised they don't have guys renting long pants at the front door, like they rent long dresses in front of the Grand Palace.

And for those who think it's sexist to make men wear different clothes than women, I'd remind you they allow men on the beach with no top on.... Kind of evens thing out.

So you are saying you fail to see the difference between wearing shorts to long pants and peeing in their hallway ?

And your beach reflection is about as sensible....female and male genitals are different if you have not noticed.

You are one strange dude.