Pope Benedict Xvi Says He Will Resign On February 28 Due To Old Age

News_Editor

Pope Benedict XVI says he will resign on February 28 due to old age < br />

2013-02-11 21:23:47 GMT+7 (ICT)

VATICAN CITY (BNO NEWS) -- Pope Benedict XVI surprised the world on Monday when he said he no longer has the mental and physical strength to adequately exercise his duties as head of the Catholic Church, making him the first pontiff to resign the papal office in nearly 600 years.

The 85-year-old pope made the shocking announcement during a meeting of cardinals at the Vatican, surprising even his closest aides. "After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry," he said.

The pope's brother, Georg Ratzinger, told the dpa news agency that Benedict XVI had recently been advised by his doctor to refrain from taking transatlantic trips. "My brother wants more rest at this age," Ratzinger said, adding that the pope had been considering to resign for a number of months.

Cardinals elected Benedict XVI as pope in April 2005 following the death of Pope John Paul II, who became one of the most beloved popes in Catholic history. John Paul II remained pope until his death at the age of 84 after a long battle with Parkinson's disease and other ailments.

In his statement, Benedict XVI added: "In order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me."

The pope said his resignation will take effect at 8 p.m. local time (1900 GMT) on February 28. "I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005," he said. "The See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is."

Vatican spokesman Federico Lombardi told reporters that Benedict XVI will remain in full charge of the church until the evening of February 28. He said the decision to resign was not made because of any difficulties in within the church or because of a specific illness, but merely because of the pope's advancing age.

Benedict XVI thanked cardinals for their love and work and asked pardon for his defects. "Let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff," he said.

Lombardi said the election of a new pope is expected to take place before the end of March, but that Benedict XVI will not take part in the process. Benedict XVI is instead expected to travel to his summer residence in the Italian town of Castel Gandolfo in March before moving to a cloistered residence in the Vatican.

"I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer," the pope said.

It will make Benedict XVI the first pontiff to resign the papal office in nearly 600 years, and the seventh in the church's history. The last pontiff to resign was Gregory XII who did so in July 1415 to end a civil war within the church in which more than one man claimed to be the pope.

But at least three more recent popes had also prepared for a possible resignation, which must be voluntary in accordance with church law. Pope Pius VII signed a conditional resignation letter in 1804 before setting out for France to crown Napoleon as Emperor of the French. The resignation would have taken effect if Pius VII had been imprisoned during his trip.

Pope Pius XII also drew up a similar document during World War II. The letter said his resignation would take effect immediately if he were kidnapped by the Nazis and instructed church leaders to flee to a safe country such as neutral Portugal to re-establish the church's leadership and appoint a new pontiff.

Pope John Paul II also wrote a resignation letter in February 1989 during the Cold War. In the letter, the pontiff said he would resign from the papal office if he had an incurable disease that would prevent him from exercising his duties or in the case of "severe and prolonged impairment."

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2013-02-11

I would also agree this is a "good thing". Pope Benedict is a human being like the rest of us, and will suffer a physical decline like the rest of us. If he can recognize that he is unable to be at the helm of one of the world's largest religions, then good for him. He's taking the greater welfare of his church over whatever personal benefits he may have. Frankly the Catholic church should have done this before. Pope John Paul II (who I thought was an excellent pope) you could see his physical decline in the last few years of his life. I doubt that he had the capability of maintaining that much control over the church, due to his health.

• Like 1

So who is next? What the church needs is an Aussie Pope to show the people how to relax and have a good time. Cardinal George may just be the man. Vote Pope George Pell.

Seriously I think the next Pope will be Cardinal Turkson from Ghana, he is young by Pope standards (63) and a move away from the mainstream white popes.

post-122647-0-21383000-1360627489_thumb.

Lightning strikes Vatican after Pope resigns

Pope Benedict XVI's resignation came like a bolt from the blue overnight.

And the weather around the Vatican was eerily appropriate, with lightning striking St Peter's Basilica, one of the holiest Catholic sites, on the same day that Pope Benedict announced he would be stepping down.

http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1295382/lightning-strikes-vatican-after-pope-resigns/?src=rss

post-122647-0-00648600-1360627729_thumb.

So who is next? What the church needs is an Aussie Pope to show the people how to relax and have a good time. Cardinal George may just be the man. Vote Pope George Pell.

Seriously I think the next Pope will be Cardinal Turkson from Ghana, he is young by Pope standards (63) and a move away from the mainstream white popes.

Good call. An African Pope would be an excellent choice in todays climate. There are a lot of Catholics in Africa and they need to be reassured that using condoms is a good thing. Maybe an African pope will sway his subordinates into agreeing to change the churches' policy on this subject.

• Like 1

Good call. An African Pope would be an excellent choice in todays climate. There are a lot of Catholics in Africa and they need to be reassured that using condoms is a good thing. Maybe an African pope will sway his subordinates into agreeing to change the churches' policy on this subject.

Bad call. The catholic church is struggling in Europe, like all religions, against the onslaught of atheism. That's were the money is to maintain the apparatus. My bet is on a Frenchmen.

Bad call. The catholic church is struggling in Europe, like all religions, against the onslaught of atheism. That's were the money is to maintain the apparatus. My bet is on a Frenchmen.

I wouldn't call it a " bad call ". Just an opinion.

For all interested here is the Next pope betting odds. http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/current-affairs/pope-betting?QuickLinks

Phuket: Good riddance, sex abuse victims tell pope

US: Pope Benedict XVI did nothing to punish pedophile priests or Church seniors who looked the other way, according to US and Irish victims hoping his successor will focus on fighting sex abuse.

AFP

Tuesday 12 February 2013, 09:46AM

Photo: Tadeusz Górny.

Barbara Blaine, founder and president of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, or SNAP, called the outgoing pope's record "dismal."

"He has made lofty statements. He has not matched those statements with deed or action. Under his reign, the children remained at risk," Blaine said.

In recent years, the United States and Ireland have been among several countries rocked by successive sex scandals involving members of the Catholic clergy and Church higher-ups accused of covering up abuses.

This month, Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez was forced under court order to release files on presumed cases of pedophilia involving some 100 clergymen.

Last year, Monsignor William Lynn of Philadelphia was sentenced to three to six years in prison for having hidden cases of sexual abuse and allowing at least two predatory priests to remain in posts in which they had contact with minors.

The US Conference of Catholic Bishops says that since 1950, more than 6,100 priests have been accused of pedophilia. Some 16,000 victims have been identified, and $2.5 billion have been spent on damages or rehabilitation therapy.

"This is not a US problem, this is a global problem," Blaine said, stressing that the solution is "at the footsteps of Pope Benedict."

"Even now in these next two weeks, he could take simple measures that would have wide-ranging positive impact to protect children and our Church across the globe."

The pope, who plans to resign on February 28, could publish the names of predatory priests on the Internet, as 30 American bishops have, or order bishops to report all cases of sexual abuse to the police, Blaine said.

"I'm very happy that the pope is resigning because he really did not do very much about clergy sexual abuse," said Robert Hoatson, president of victims aid group Road To Recovery.

"The next pope has to tackle this issue. This is the most important issue because it concerns children, and it is a worldwide problem and the pope has to commission a group of expert to determine what has to be done to solve this problem.

"And if it means firing all the bishops that have covered up, so be it."

He worried that the Church will "keep everything covered up" unless it is ordered to reveal information about abuses.

In Ireland, the victims group Survivors of Child Abuse also welcomed word that the pope is stepping down.

"This pope had a great opportunity to finally address the decades of abuse in the Church but at the end of the day, he did nothing but promise everything and in the end, he ultimately delivered nothing," said spokesman John Kelly.

"The Church needs to acknowledge that all of this happened. They need to acknowledge that they allowed the devil inside and had him reside there for 50 years.

"The Church cannot move on," he added. "This pope's tenure has been plagued by scandals and that will continue unless the pope addresses the root causes and that can only start from the top."

Source: http://www.thephuket...-pope-36980.php

He has a unique chance in the next two weeks to rectify himself, blow the lid off many things, do something for humanity and go out with a bang!

Which of course won't happen and he'll slide quietly away to do what retired pope's do.......................what do retired popes do?

• Like 1

Well what George Pell, a good aussie lad and when he wins he could put on a BBQ, let the beers flow and have a good old pissup. The footy season will be underway so we could put that up on a big screen at the Vatican. Could be a great time.

• Like 1

The reviews are pouring in. Uh oh!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/benedict-xvi-leaves-the-papacy-much-as-he-found-it/2013/02/11/628719be-7477-11e2-aa12-e6cf1d31106b_story.html

IN EIGHT years as pope, Benedict XVI’s boldest act may have been his last one.

The pope presided over a faith whose demographic center of gravity has shifted to Latin America, Africa and Asia, yet he chose to focus his ministry on an attempt to revive Catholicism in Europe, including its most conservative elements. By some important measures, he failed.

He has a unique chance in the next two weeks to rectify himself, blow the lid off many things, do something for humanity and go out with a bang!

Which of course won't happen and he'll slide quietly away to do what retired pope's do.......................what do retired popes do?

Join ThaiVisa? :rolleyes:

Face Psalm !

• Like 1

I think he did give an hint of what is going on. One was his last tweet, which said: "We must trust in the mighty power of God’s mercy. We are all sinners, but His grace transforms us and makes us new." - Source: https://twitter.com/Pontifex

and then the resignation letter.

From the previous article:

the 85-year-old pontiff concluded that he lacked the “strength of mind and body” to carry out his ministry in a world “subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith.”

He also wanted to become Archivist of the Vatican's secret library.

What could have happened behind the scenes is that some powerful enough group have found evidence of his past actions which could not be put under the carpet, media files or so. He was then given a choice to resign (which itself is very powerful message) or the evidence is published to the world.

But then again, I love conspiracy theories and wonder what has happened behind the curtains :)

He's done what a lot of non-dynamic leaders do: maintain the status quo and the archaic orthodoxy of an out of touch institution. As long as he (or anyone in that sort of authoritative position ) tells his flock that condoms and all other forms of birth control are wrong, then he remains a ding dong in my estimation. The harm the Catholic Church lays upon the little people (raped girls, unwanted pregnant teenagers, and tens of millions of others) is profound. Up in their ivory towers, the Church bosses are exacerbating overpopulation and all the suffering that comes with it.

The message of the Catholic church is to have sex with the person you love only, don't twist it. The Catholics are probably the most progressive branch of Christianity, they embrace science, evolution, the big bang, and all that stuff. Their position towards modern knowledge is, let science explain everything it can, but leave the soul to us. When Ratzinger tells the catholics that condoms are wrong, he and his flock know that it's an ideal, not dogma, up to them what they actually do. Catholics believe in the separation of state and church (except perhaps in Ireland), unlike many Muslims, and protestant churches. They don't live according to the rules established by the good book, they don't take it face value, they don't try and force those rules upon people of other beliefs anymore. And if there is the occasional catholic pedophile, so be it. Not as common as in Pattaya. Ratzinger is not responsible for them anyway, not any more than is Queen Elisabeth II for a British kiddie fiddler.

Ratzinger is a good pope, maybe the best for centuries. Not a pop star like his predeccesor, but humble and wise. Wrote a lot of books I don't know what about, but read theologians were delighted. Adressed poverty, social injustice, destruction of the environment, global warming, named their true causes, called for change. Worked hard on the reconciliation with other religions.

• Like 2

Easy life to easier life.

Really? The poor guy now has to go and live in a monestry surrounded by 100 nagging females 24/7 who will never put out. What did he do that was so bloody bad. Take me out the back and shoot me.

Easy life to easier life.

Really? The poor guy now has to go and live in a monestry surrounded by 100 nagging females 24/7 who will never put out. What did he do that was so bloody bad. Take me out the back and shoot me.

I guess his biggest problem was that he didn't get along well with his boss. :rolleyes:

On one hand it's "the most progressive branch of Christianity"

Then on the other if "there's the occasional catholic pedophile, so be it."

What's that saying? Something about having cake and not being able to eat it?

Can't say I've seen too many lesbian priests - I'd say lately - but the truth is, I've never seen one :P

Join ThaiVisa? rolleyes.gif

Face Psalm !

What would be a good nick to keep him anonymous?

Age wise, he'd fit right in.

Edited by uptheos

Join ThaiVisa? rolleyes.gif

Face Psalm !

What would be a good nick to keep him anonymous?

Papasan?