Computer Nightmare

johnmcc6

My faithfull hp computer was factory loaded with windows 7 home premium. After getting a bad virus from an email I trusted the machine went balistic. So I took into computer store {out of town} to have it fixed.

Big mistake! When I got it back they had removed the virus but just about everything else as well. They didn't do a backup but fortunately I had most things on my external H D. The disk these fools used in reformating was an unauthorised Windows Pro. Can anyone tell me who I can trust to clean it out and start again? I have the product key to the original windows 7 home premium. I have searched hi and low to find out how to change the product key only to be referred to programs that want a lot of money and will also attach unwanted tool bars etc. I am in Chiangmai and need someone who can speak enogh English so I can feel assured of their compentence. Any help greatly appreciated.

Its Best to have Malwarebytes, or Hitman Pro installed on your computer at times,

like that, they are free and work very well at cleaning your computer when it gets

infected,

Thats all they do at most repair shops,just wipe everything clean and install a copy

of Windows, not sure if its because they are lazy and thats easy way to fix, or they

just dont know what they are doing,

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

I noticed once that the insides of my pc tower were covered in dust and grime. Took it to computer shop and told them to clean it.

Sure enough, they wiped the hard drive slicken clean as a whistle. I learned to be more specific after that.

• Like 1

Does anyone know of a computer repairman who makes housecalls?

Chi Chang. Authorized HP service center. 600 baht for a house call. Earlier this year, my HP hard drive was damaged and I had no back-up. Chi Chang used data recovery software and successfully saved all my data.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Johnmcc6,

First, I'd like to recommend you re-post on the ThaiVisa forum: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/17-internet-computers-communication-technology/ where you can get the possible benefit of a wider response.

... hp computer ... with windows 7 home premium ... bad virus from an email ... (3rd party) ,.. removed the virus but just about everything else as well. They didn't do a backup but fortunately I had most things on my external H D.

disk ... used in reformating was an unauthorised Windows Pro. ... I have the product key to the original windows 7 home premium.

I have searched hi and low to find out how to change the product key only to be referred to programs that want a lot of money and will also attach unwanted tool bars etc.

Before calling in a bomb-squad technician, you may want to clarify, here, a little further what your current actual problem is. A few questions:

1. are you saying the place you took it to re-formatted your hard-drive, and then installed a possibly bogus copy of Win 7 Pro, which you can't validate ? That would imply that all your personal data, and installed applications were erased.

2. are you saying that you now wish to re-format the drive again, and re-install your "legal" Win 7 Home Premium, for which you have both the original disk and the key.

Note that both the above scenarios would imply your drive was, or will be, reformatted, and you will have to re-install of all your 3rd, party software, and restore of any data you have backed up.

3. are you saying you believe there is a way you can take the now installed, possibly bogus, copy of Win 7 Pro, and by changing its key, somehow change it back into Windows Home Premium where you could then use your legal key ?

If you are assuming #3 above, I seriously question this is possible. But, if you have a few months of spare time, you can research the topic: "how to downgrade from windows 7 pro to windows 7 home premium" here: https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+downgrade+from+windows+7+pro+to+windows+7+home+premium&aq=0&oq=downgrade+from+windows+7+pro+to+windows+home+&aqs=chrome.1.57j0l3j62l2.15690&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I would strongly advise you from taking a possibly altered, hacked, Win 7 Pro install, and trying to do anything with it !

I you must return, you feel, to your original legal Win 7 Home Premium, to just "bite-the-bullet," and re-format the hard-drive again, then boot-from your original Win 7 Home Premium disk, and re-install the OS. Enter your key again, and validate.

Then, the first thing you should do, when you can boot, is make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on, then connect on-line, and download and install an anti-virus program, like the free MSSE from Microsoft. Then proceed to fully update your machine via Windows Update (which may take a long time and require multiple re-boots to get you up to date with all the latest security patches, updates, etc.), then re-install all your 3rd. party applications, and then restore all data you have saved.

Another alternative you may consider is purchasing an OEM copy of Win 7 Pro: It's no longer sold by the major Thai computer mail-order stores (Thanni, InvadeIt, etc.), but you might find some OEM packages in Pantip Plaza here at the better computer shops; I'm guessing they may be inexpensive now. But, in that case, too, you're going to need to re-format.

Unless you are a real tech-head, I would strongly advise against upgrading to Windows 8 at this time, even if your computer hardware supports Win 8.

good luck, ~o:37;

Thanks everyone for your advice re my computer hassles. I will give a call to the home service guys first and see what they think. If that fails I will be glad to join Zippy at the sausage king for lunch lol

It would probably be easier on your nerves and pocketbook.smile.png

Thanks everyone for your advice re my computer hassles. I will give a call to the home service guys first and see what they think. If that fails I will be glad to join Zippy at the sausage king for lunch lol

It would probably be easier on your nerves and pocketbook.smile.png

The lunch can't be more than 600B, can it? rolleyes.gif

It's possible your pc might have a hidden recovery partition with the OS on it, and that it's still intact following the installation of the dodgy windows. If you know what size your HD is meant to be, you can check the size reported by windows, and if it is more than about 10% less than the advertised size you may have that partition. If so you can then look at restoring your pc to its as new state.