Why Do Westerners End English Sentences With Thai Words

muythai2013

It's not kop, it's krap or in some areas kap - never kop.

Are you serious? You are arguing about how to spell a word in English from another language with a completely different alphabet and sounds?

It is correct written any way as there is no standardization; although mine is the most correct phonetically (most transliterations are nonsense in this country) as the word family op; hop, pop, stop....just ask Dr. Seuss:)

So in my humble opinion...you are full of krap

If I were motivated enough I'd write it in Thai, but that's just not the case.

post-81091-0-17105900-1360924260_thumb.g

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try as I might I can't get to grip with the Thai language. So mixing up the bits I do know with English is better then nothing. I never realised this would annoy people. But then until I joined ThaiVisa I never appreciated how easily some people here get annoyed by trivial things.

• Like 2

Are you serious? You are arguing about how to spell a word in English from another language with a completely different alphabet and sounds?

It is correct written any way as there is no standardization; although mine is the most correct phonetically (most transliterations are nonsense in this country) as the word family op; hop, pop, stop....just ask Dr. Seuss:)

Now you are just being simply insulting.

I suggest that you go and get your ears checked and take your Father with you.

There is a standard transliteration system, although not ideal, it's a lot closer than the Kop that you keep writing.

The polite particle that males end a sentence with sounds nothing like Cop or Kop.

Your posts are utter nonsense.

What planet are you on? When the rau rua is dropped it sounds "precisely" like kop

And fyi; there is no standardized transliteration, just various systems with confusing rules

There is a standardized phonetic alphabet that i have never seen used in los

The only way to spell it correctly is in thai, full stop

When you see it spelled in english you know what it means, you are being pedantic

What planet are you on? When the rau rua is dropped it sounds "precisely" like kop

Took me like 5 minutes to figure out that by rau rua You, Sir, as a Gentleman and a True Scholar, meant

It can be quite confusing, when an invention is used as a common knowledge.

And again, I can't help myself:

post-81091-0-37520400-1360951995_thumb.g

And fyi; there is no standardized transliteration, just various systems with confusing rules

When you see it spelled in english you know what it means, you are being pedantic

Go to

http://www.thai-language.com/id/131341

A little down the page, next to notes you will see

"in informal everyday conversation, men may shorten this to คับ speaker_sm.gif."

If you click on the speaker, you will hear the pronunciation of this word.

If you honestly think that this sounds "precisely" like "Cop", then either you hear differently to me or you come from a place that pronounces "Cop" differently to me.

The Royal Thai Standard of transliteration writes it as Khrap, not perfect, but is the accepted general standard that you will find in most Thai-English dictionaries. Personally, I think that "Krup" is the closest, but that is only my opinion.

Thais from Chiang Mai talk differently than Thais from Bangkok and Issan. The majority of Thais can't or don't say "r"

So it is only Krup in books. In reality it is cup or kup or cop. Lo so Bangkok Thais it is cup like wat de cup.

what a load of rubbishrolleyes.gif

Chiang Mai just has a different dialect,

All Thai's can say "r" but less educated ones chose not too.

Thai Alphabet has an R, (ro ruea), so absolutely no reason why Thai can not say "R"

Every news reader says kRup

The answer is simple.

So they appear to know Thai and can come on Thai visa and proclaim that they speak enough to get by smile.png

Next time a foreigner does that reply only in Thai and stay with Thai , actually gets pretty funny.

I often get customers who feel the need to show they know a few words, I always change to Thai only( my Thai is terrible in my opinion) but leaves them standing there like dorks without a clue

Do many of these customers come back?

you tell me, you apparently speak fluent Thai as you stated beforecheesy.gif

I don't know what that has to do with it. I don't make fun of customers in any language. cheesy.gif

you have customers?whistling.gif

lets hear the latest delusionclap2.gif , hope you have not forgotten the previous ones

Thais from Chiang Mai talk differently than Thais from Bangkok and Issan. The majority of Thais can't or don't say "r"

So it is only Krup in books. In reality it is cup or kup or cop. Lo so Bangkok Thais it is cup like wat de cup.

Thai Alphabet has an R, (ro ruea), so absolutely no reason why Thai can not say "R"

and every news reader has glowing white skin, the farther north, the less Rs deep south, they roll em rrrrr, bfd.

You are right. I should amend my post to read, "newsreaders say r and krup." However the rest of the lo so Bangkok Thais don't say r so it is cup or kup or something without an r. Like Falang instead of Farang. I don't say ng very well either. Chiang Mai has many different words for common things like Gaut or Got instead of Delat. Market. Many differences but it has been 5 years since I have lived in Chiang Mai some else can speak more to the issue . Seems to me 20 baht was also different.

lets hear the latest delusionclap2.gif , hope you have not forgotten the previous ones

You said, "I often get customers who feel the need to show they know a few words, I always change to Thai only( my Thai is terrible in my opinion) but leaves them standing there like dorks without a clue."

I said, "Do many of these customers come back?"

If I wrote anything else please quote it. clap2.gif

You said, "I often get customers who feel the need to show they know a few words, I always change to Thai only( my Thai is terrible in my opinion) but leaves them standing there like dorks without a clue."

Nice try to remove your post, but here it is

I don't know what that has to do with it. I don't make fun of customers in any language.

Nice try to remove your post, but here it is

I don't know what that has to do with it. I don't make fun of customers in any language.

I don't make fun of customers in any language. Never have never will. So what? I have made enough money treating customers right to retire in Thailand.

I guess you forgot you wrote, "I often get customers who feel the need to show they know a few words, I always change to Thai only( my Thai is terrible in my opinion) but leaves them standing there like dorks without a clue."

I wrote, "Do many of these customers come back?"

Go to

"in informal everyday conversation, men may shorten this to คับ speaker_sm.gif."

If you honestly think that this sounds "precisely" like "Cop", then either you hear differently to me or you come from a place that pronounces "Cop" differently to me.

The Royal Thai Standard of transliteration writes it as Khrap, not perfect, but is the accepted general standard that you will find in most Thai-English dictionaries. Personally, I think that "Krup" is the closest, but that is only my opinion.

As I said the precise sound can not be reflected in English.

So you are saying the vowel sounds less like pop, stop, hop mop

and more like snap, flap, crap.....or cup, pup etc.....There is a coffee maker called Krups, are you saying the word sounds more like that?

You are being ridiculous.... whatever the nuances we both know what word we are talking about....

And to the guy who took 5 minutes to figure out what letter "rau rua" is.....I guess you are very new to the thai alphabet or perhaps just didn't get the right minerals from mom and pop......try soduku....might help

I don't make fun of customers in any language. Never have never will. So what? I have made enough money treating customers right to retire in Thailand.

I guess you forgot you wrote, "I often get customers who feel the need to show they know a few words, I always change to Thai only( my Thai is terrible in my opinion) but leaves them standing there like dorks without a clue."

I wrote, "Do many of these customers come back?"

You have made enough money? is that why you do not own a home and think 5000 baht is big money to make lawn?

Anyhow, back to reality and topic

Go to

and more like snap, flap, crap.....or cup, pup etc.....There is a coffee maker called Krups, are you saying the word sounds more like that?

You are being ridiculous.... whatever the nuances we both know what word we are talking about....

And to the guy who took 5 minutes to figure out what letter "rau rua" is.....I guess you are very new to the thai alphabet or perhaps just didn't get the right minerals from mom and pop......try soduku....might help

No, you are being ridiculous.

Did you go to the website and click on the loudspeaker?

If you did, do you really think that it sounds anything like Cop?

Your initial post was obviously some poor attempt at humour. When you hear "Thank you cop" you think that they are referring to you as a policeman.

If you really believe that it sounds like cop, you should clean out your Falong ears :D

• Like 1

Go to

No, you are being ridiculous.

Did you go to the website and click on the loudspeaker?

If you did, do you really think that it sounds anything like Cop?

Your initial post was obviously some poor attempt at humour. When you hear "Thank you cop" you think that they are referring to you as a policeman.

If you really believe that it sounds like cop, you should clean out your Falong ears biggrin.png

Why would one go to a web site? Why not ask a Thai person? It sounds like cup. biggrin.png

I know from my own experience while living in Germany and Portugal that a few German/Portuguese words slipped into English conversations but only because it was quicker/easier/more appropriate to use those words in that particular moment.

I have to admit, I haven't mixed English and Thai yet, maybe that's because I haven't lived here long enough. I'm sure after a few years living in a country and learning the language, it can happen that people start to mix up the languages.

It's kap down south, I hardly ever hear the r pronounced.

• Like 1

So, if I followed this thread correctly, to avoid denting sensibilities, I have to avoid using Thai words at the end of a sentence? Correct?

So, my question "Fancy a plate of Pad Thai?" has now gone to:

" Fancy a plate of stir-fried rice noodles with eggs, fish sauce, tamarind juice, red chili pepper, plus a possible combination of bean sprouts, shrimp, chicken or tofu, garnished with crushed peanuts, coriander and lime, the juice of which can be added along with Thai condiments (crushed peanuts, garlic, tomato, chives, pickled turnip, coriander, lime, spicy chili oil, chili powder, vinegar, fish sauce, sugar) and which is usually served with scallions and pieces of raw banana flower?"

Cannot see it catching on myself, but I will give it a go........

Edited by FWIW
  • Like 1

The original post was about using Thai words in a conversation in English without actually being unable to express the thought in English, using inflections like < Thai script removed > or slang words like < Thai script removed > etc. So FWIW, You would do perfectly fine using Pad Thai instead of a full recipee description clap2.gif

And as to the heated debate regarding transcription, transliteration of Thai words using regular Latin characters - being able to read Thai helps greatly, just read the letters and there would be definitely no need to re-invent Thai phonetics.

And, again, can't help myself, but:

post-81091-0-13778500-1361003656_thumb.g

Edited by metisdead
: This is the English language side of the forum, if you wish to post using Thai script, do so in the Thai language forum.

You are right. I should amend my post to read, "newsreaders say r and krup." However the rest of the lo so Bangkok Thais don't say r so it is cup or kup or something without an r. Like Falang instead of Farang. I don't say ng very well either. Chiang Mai has many different words for common things like Gaut or Got instead of Delat. Market. Many differences but it has been 5 years since I have lived in Chiang Mai some else can speak more to the issue . Seems to me 20 baht was also different.

Gat instead of Talat (market)

Sow instead of yeeseep (twenty)

Bor instead of mai (not)

BaGairw instead of farang (white foreigner)

Women say jow instead of ka

Edited by TommoPhysicist

There is standardization. The Royal Thai General System. http://en.wikipedia....f_Transcription

I don't know how long you've been here and learning(or not) the language. But it doesn't exactly take much effort to write < Thai script removed > My 6 year old kid can write it.

Edited by metisdead
: This is the English language side of the forum, if you wish to post using Thai script, do so in the Thai language forum.