Shoulder Injury

mek

Lemoncake, I would say you were unlucky more than I was lucky. There are professional athletes that have rotator cuff surgery and return to their sport a year or so later. That's at the professional level so they can't return unless they are 100%. I was running in my sling a little more than 4 months after surgery. My surgery was inexpensive compared to yours but I assure you that my surgeons were the best. My Indian surgeon worked on professional cricket players and my Thai surgeon studied and worked at John's Hopkins. the passive motion machine really worked well for me. If you have the surgery here in Chiang Mai at the University hospital, using the passive motion machine is standard procedure and really helps getting the range of motion back quickly. Since my surgeries I have made some modifications to my workouts - no more overhead presses or weight work with a straight bar - but I have no problems with push-ups, pull-ups or heavy dumbbells.

Edited by fearless1
  • Like 1

Lemoncake, I would say you were unlucky more than I was lucky. There are professional athletes that have rotator cuff surgery and return to their sport a year or so later. That's at the professional level so they can't return unless they are 100%. I was running in my sling a little more than 4 months after surgery. My surgery was inexpensive compared to yours but I assure you that my surgeons were the best. My Indian surgeon worked on professional cricket players and my Thai surgeon studied and worked at John's Hopkins. the passive motion machine really worked well for me. If you have the surgery here in Chiang Mai at the University hospital, using the passive motion machine is standard procedure and really helps getting the range of motion back quickly. Since my surgeries I have made some modifications to my workouts - no more overhead presses or weight work with a straight bar - but I have no problems with push-ups, pull-ups or heavy dumbbells.

Might be different part of the cuff or something else, because i was in a sling for only 4 weeks

Did you have an open surgery or arthoscopic? and do you have any staples?

Doctors fees alone for me were 135K Plus all the instruments, theater, hospital etc., was done at BKK Hospital by Dr Mamanee who has also worked at John's Hopkins in US as well as being a head of shoulder group of Asia(or something like that) so not really a newbie.

I was assured 100% recovery, but as i said, something went wrong and 100% recovery did not happen.

Anyhow, at least now OP has 2 sets of accounts of what to expect or possible outcomes

• 4 months later...

I just found this thread, as I am about to get the surgery done myself for a minor rotator cuff tear. I was hoping someone could provide recommendations for a doctor at the less expensive hospitals in Bangkok. I am sure there are good doctors out there. My surgery is not so serious and to pay out 300,00Baht+ is just difficult to accept.

ok! just to sum up. I went to BNH hospital and had a MRI scan yesterday. Saw the doc today and was told the bad news. Completely torn rotator coff. Only one way. Surgery. Going to see doctor Somsak Kuptniratsaikul tomorrow about whats gonna happen.

My greatest concern at the moment is about the outcome of operation and following recovery and how long time all this is gonna take. Should have been back to work next week (not far from the northpole)

Thanks for advice

Mek

I blew out a rotator cuff a few years ago and after much diagnosis, they scoped me and stapled it back together, then cleaned out some spurs in the socket. It was out-patient surgery. I was back to work the next day wearing a sling. It takes a while to get full range of motion again. It took me a year before I was 100% and didn't think about it when pressing myself.

Edited by Loptr