Bangkok Taxi Drivers Face Harsher Penalties For Rejecting Passengers

webfact

Such penalties would definitely be useful against Baht Bus drivers in Pattaya that refuse to pick up individual passengers along the second road. Last night was a prime example. I stood in front of Central trying to flag down a baht bus, I kid you not, I watched more than 10 pass me because they only wanted individuals or groups willing to pay 300 baht. There would have been a drastic reduction in baht buses last night which would have allowed traffic to flow instead of what it was, a twisted mess of wheels, feet, smoke and lights. Bring on the penalties and the enforcement, or better yet, regulate the volume of taxis and baht buses allowed to be on the roads.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1. I've seen too many Farang get in a taxi with the guy from Isaarn and say go ..... Because they don't speak English, it is quite often refused on that basis, all about loss of face or they simply realise they can't understand you. It it is something simple like "Sukhumvit" they understand, but don't try the phoenetic as per the OP unless you can speak some Thai. Appreciated post but very few will have a hope in hell of trying that on...
  2. Easy way around the refusal is simply get in and close the door then give them the destination, or better yet - just tell him "pbie". Go. Then explain where you want to go and it's a bit late once the meter is ticking and he's travelling.
  3. By and large, I usually have the iPhone out and on the rare occasions where I have had a refusal I immediately click on his ID, the door tab with the number and as I am getting out say 'yim' and pop the drivers photo. Scares quite a few of them.
  4. Be friendly with cabbies, it goes a long way and I always tip them so they know Farang are a good bunch and not kene_ow like Thai's. They are more likely to get used to picking up Farang and you do us all a favour.

• Like 1

Good, these taxi drivers have been far too fussy and rude for too long. You cant drive around rejecting people just looking for the perfect job combining distance, time and money which is what they do. I have even been in taxi ranks erected outside shopping centres where drivers are saying no to people. But come the early hours of the morning they are begging for your business.

2 problems with taxi drivers in Bangkok. First is they are driven by Thais, which means natural laziness and need to get the most money for the least effort. I know this cant be changed but its a factor. Second is because in my opinion the rate per KM is too low. You get into a cab and it starts at 40 baht but then you can get quite far and it ends up at only 90 baht or so for example. That journey could of taken up to 15 minutes. So compared to a short trip of say 5 minutes they haven't made much more plus more likely to be in more traffic. There is no incentive to go further and longer on the meter. What these drivers go for and want is either lots of 5 -10 minutes short trips because the start price is 40 baht or negotiated long trips.

So make the start price less and increase the per KM rate.

Anyway this is not controllable so its all talk anyway but at least it makes the Thai people think the politicians are working !!!

Edited by rinteln

@DiNiro - That's really strange - I have stayed at Soi 18 numerous times, and have never had a problem getting a metered taxi. Here's a tip for people heading to the airport - use a little Thai - always puts the driver in a good frame of mind. If you use 'bpai sanaam-bin Suwanapoom leh [rising tone] chai [rising tone] tang-duwan khrab'[i'm going to Suvanabhumi Airport, and please use the toll road] - you're likely to get a prompt 'dai' [can]. When you pronounce 'leh' and 'chai', use a rising tone (falling tone 'chai' = 'yes', rising tone = 'use').

If the taxi driver has inadvertently not started the taxi meter, ask him to do it:

'kor-toht [the 'toht' is a long and falling tone sound], khun chai [rising tone] mii-dtur, dai mai khrab?' [sorry/excuse me, can you use the meter please?]

If he won't - just get out. Say:

'yoot tii-nii khrab' [stop here please] - and just leave. In the process of opening your door, the meter will likely be turned on. I've never had to do this - but this might help if you ever need to push the point.

bpai = go

sanaam-bin = airport

kor-toht = sorry/excuse me

leh [rising tone] = and

chai [rising tone] = use

tang-duwan = toll road/highway

yoot = stop

tii-nii = here

Hope this is helpful ...... smile.png

Seriously doubt that that would be of any help at all to anyone who doesn't know a little Thai.

I took the advice of a fellow TV member and started leaving their doors open in traffic if they refuse.

It's funny to see how angry they get when you're passive aggressive back at them.

You guys should try it, it's good for a laugh while you wait for the next taxi!

You should try it until they take their gun out, as happened to a couple of us last week on Nana, outside Omni. Bravado is all well and good, but in this country it can get you in deep sh*t.

I took the advice of a fellow TV member and started leaving their doors open in traffic if they refuse.

It's funny to see how angry they get when you're passive aggressive back at them.

I have been doing the door open thing off and on for some time now. I have had a couple close calls whereby I thought things were going to get violent though (and I can handle myself). I can see this and even just the snapping of a pic and the threat of reporting them leading to some gang beatings by the taxi mafia and some news clippings on here eventually. Stand up for yourself but BE CAREFUL.

Agree and keep in mind that many taxi drivers have a system with their buddies that when one of them is in trouble they send out a distress call and all of a sudden you have four drivers to deal with.

Without talk about the overpriced limousine service at the ground floor. The taxis are available only at underground floors ! It's not fair to make tired passengers searching for taxi meters at levels they don't know it existing but propose them directly the extra charged swindle limousine THB 800.- for downtown !

I had one time a taximan who refused to put the counter after I asked it, I didn't sit and immediately gone out of it ! But the most are nice and respectful. It's happily not a mafia and you dare to complain not same as PSI (Phuket Sins Island) !

But after complaints I would know how much % of complaints will results in driving licenses suspensions. I think not a lot, as the law is always not good enforced for minors infractions.

Edited by Westaurel

I live in an area - not downtown - with many txi pickups. I have observed that Thai people always asked the

driver whether or not he is willing to go to X. If the driver says no, they close the door and wait for the next Taxi. No problem. It only appears to be a a problem for foreigners who insist on their "Rights" .

Relax people, this is the land of the Thais ! when in Thailand do as the Thai do..........

• Like 2

Can only think of one time in my years in this country when a BKK taxi has refused to use the meter and that was fairly late after a show, just got the next one in line no problem.

To my way of thinking there are many reasons why a taxi driver should have the right to refuse a fare, things like:

A drunk

A very dirty person

Someone who is smoking.

Someone with an animal

Someone who is eating,

All of the above could lead to him having to clean his cab before he can take another fare

An abusive person

No money today pay you tomorrow

Someone who wants to do a long trip when the driver has been driving for most of the day or night, would you want to do a three hour trip with a driver who has already been driving for 8 hours?

Must be a <deleted> of a job driving in that traffic do your bit to make their job easier and see if attitudes improve.

Pay the meter fare and if it is a few baht short of a round number dont ask for the change.

Always thank the driver, same goes for buses and Tuk tuks, it costs you nothing and see how much they appreciate it

• Like 1

what a load of old <deleted>, they tried this a few months back and taxis complied for all of about a week, then it was back to normal.

rinse, repeat.

Agreed. The previous attempt seemed successful for a about a month for me. No refusals. Now seems to have gotten worse than before, coming into and out of central Bangkok.

Hope this is enforced.

Here's a few taxis that didnt stop - pay more than the meter usually has a result ....market forces...

Dumb waste-of-time video that proves only that the one girl, by sitting down like that, is too dull to realize she's basically communicating to oncoming taxis "Go ahead and reject me because I've already been rejected by 90 other taxis".

• Like 1

me thinks a lot of bangkok traffic problems are caused by taxi driving around with no customers seeking a good catch fo fleece

it is the ones sitting still that ar looking for someone to fleece.

Personally, in a place where there will be 5 taxis by in the next 2 minutes, i really dont mind closing the door and trying on the guy behind him.

It is rare it actually causes me any great delay. given the pittance they make in the face of ever rising costs, they should be allowed some discretion. It is their car, their time and ultimately their income.

I would much rather try two or three taxis on, and get a driver who is willing to take mee where i want to go, than sit for 20 minutes behind a disgruntled peasant who is shaking his head, audibly sucking his teeth and opening the door to punch up a lung in displeasure.

if i want to feel truly entitled to a ride somewhere i will arrange transportation ahead of time.

What we expect from those drivers that are mostly ex farm workers and at best seasonal taxi drivers,

those guys, mostly with the very basic schooling, has no work etiquette or even know the

meaning of to give service, much less caring about the passenger's wishes and needs,

on a brighter side, taxis are mostly modern and clean and the fare is very reasonable, though

the drivers could be more attentive,

i have seen much worse in my traveling to other countries, so i for one, will no complain,

It's time they learned.

Nice that you've made it out of Bangladesh. Please save your magnanimity for a country that isn't A) highly dependent on tourism and B ) still well below yet aspiring to Singaporean and/or Hong Kong standards of service.

Edited by seminomadic

I always thought in Bangkok it was easy ... if a taxi doesnt want to bring you anywhere ..take another one .... this practice from taxi drivers who prefer not to use meter or not want to bring customers too far or too close is the key problem ... I think the Bangkok airport taxi issue is bigger than that ... still so many drivers refuse to put meter from Airport to town. I guess with the help of some airport officers for sure. Well when money is involve ...

I am at the airport a lot and have never once had a taxi want to go off-meter when I boarded at the public taxi stand, where you get the written note with the taxi number on it and fair rules? Are you boarding somewhere else to avoid the 50 baht surcharge, or is that happening to you at the taxi stand?

Agreed...........never once have I had any refusal to use a meter from the public taxi rank.

Perhaps laurentbkk is just being a 'cheap charlie' for 50 baht savings by looking on the top floor.

Edited by Phatcharanan
  • Like 2

what a load of old <deleted>, they tried this a few months back and taxis complied for all of about a week, then it was back to normal.

rinse, repeat.

Actually, I think it was worse than normal... my theory is that the taxi drivers got chatting at the ranks and decided in an osmotic fashion to dig their heels in and show that they won't be pushed around.

On the other hand, Bangkok traffic has gotten so bad in the last year, since the "first car assistance plan" by this vote-buying government, that taxi drivers must find themselves just sitting in traffic, all too slowly racking up one of the cheapest fare rates on the planet. In the last 20 years, fares have increased by about 20% - one single increase in two decades - while petrol prices have gone up from 8 baht a litre to 40... they may act like dicks, but they have legitimate complaints.

• Like 2

You should try it until they take their gun out, as happened to a couple of us last week on Nana, outside Omni. Bravado is all well and good, but in this country it can get you in deep sh*t.

They won't shoot their own taxi. Plus, since I'm not getting taxis in places like Nana, I think my chances are cut down. That sucks though, I think I'd snap a pic.where I'm from is a pretty rough place, more guns and crazy people than here. They won't risk shooting their window out. I think I'd have taken a pic and called the police

I have been doing the door open thing off and on for some time now. I have had a couple close calls whereby I thought things were going to get violent though (and I can handle myself). I can see this and even just the snapping of a pic and the threat of reporting them leading to some gang beatings by the taxi mafia and some news clippings on here eventually. Stand up for yourself but BE CAREFUL.

Agree and keep in mind that many taxi drivers have a system with their buddies that when one of them is in trouble they send out a distress call and all of a sudden you have four drivers to deal with.

Do you think they would be that distressed over a door. NothIng negative has happened yet. You should try, it's fun!

A friend got a taxi at the airport. The driver never turned on the meter and then ripped him off big time. We complained and provided a description (the driver was some old dwarf-like looking guy) and had his license plate and number. Nothing, nada happened - - -

now what do you all expect when you call in refused service complaints?!?

Any statistics about how such complaints are handled / how many fines have been imposed?

Try getting a taxi from Sapan Lek to Bangbon. It's an efin joke. I tried for more than an hour with my 10 year old son and my shopping. I ended up on the bus which we had to stand crunched up all the way. About 1 and half hours.

Taxi drivers are the scum of Bangkok and most of them don't know where they are going.

No if or buts, "they are scum"

I will always use the bus as a first option. Buses are frequent, cheap and usually faster than taxis. Given their size they tend to negotiate traffic better. Taxi is often a better option if I am going a longer distance. Then there's the BTS and MRT which I use in combination with buses.

You'd have to be mad to consider owning and using a car in central Bangkok given the traffic. Sold both my vehicles when I moved back into the city centre and with them went the stress and hassle. Never looked back.

People using a vehicle then complaining about traffic? Sum num na.

A friend got a taxi at the airport. The driver never turned on the meter and then ripped him off big time. We complained and provided a description (the driver was some old dwarf-like looking guy) and had his license plate and number. Nothing, nada happened - - -

now what do you all expect when you call in refused service complaints?!?

Any statistics about how such complaints are handled / how many fines have been imposed?

I very seldom have a need to go to Bangkok so I don't have much input to this issue. But I used to go there a lot and I always ask for the meter before I get into the taxi. No meter no go.

I used to live in Manila and if you think it is bad here just go there. There guys leaving the airport would turn on the meter and then turn it back off after they started driving. I would simply open the back door all the way until they turned the meter back on.