Bangkok Taxi Drivers Face Harsher Penalties For Rejecting Passengers

webfact

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always thought in Bangkok it was easy ... if a taxi doesnt want to bring you anywhere ..take another one .... this practice from taxi drivers who prefer not to use meter or not want to bring customers too far or too close is the key problem ... I think the Bangkok airport taxi issue is bigger than that ... still so many drivers refuse to put meter from Airport to town. I guess with the help of some airport officers for sure. Well when money is involve ...

If you live in the upper Sukhumvit area and want to go anywhere other than the airport or the upper Sukhumvit area it can be a nightmare. I've been refused by over 10 successive taxis in the past. I can't see it changing in that area as the driver's there will assume foreigners don't know who to complain to. Not to mention they are more aggressive/nasty than your average Bangkok driver to start with.

• Like 1

I always thought in Bangkok it was easy ... if a taxi doesnt want to bring you anywhere ..take another one .... this practice from taxi drivers who prefer not to use meter or not want to bring customers too far or too close is the key problem ... I think the Bangkok airport taxi issue is bigger than that ... still so many drivers refuse to put meter from Airport to town. I guess with the help of some airport officers for sure. Well when money is involve ...

Gotta say I have never had any real probs with the taxis from the airport I use the rank on the ground floor only thing I get is that they try and get me to go to Pattaya other than that no probs...............now picking one up in town is a different story!

I am at the airport a lot and have never once had a taxi want to go off-meter when I boarded at the public taxi stand, where you get the written note with the taxi number on it and fair rules? Are you boarding somewhere else to avoid the 50 baht surcharge, or is that happening to you at the taxi stand?

• Like 2

I wonder if those department stores they claim to have spoken with includes Siam Paragon. No sign saying that taxis can't refuse passengers there. Actually, there is a Paragon employee at the taxi rank area with a loudspeaker, announcing passengers' desired locations, while the taxis either accept or refuse. It's sort of like a taxi destination auction, with the Paragon employee leading the bidding. I stood there while I refused about five times by taxis, while they accepted people behind me in the queue. Why are Paragon management encouraging and facilitating taxis to selectively accept passengers?

I agree it's a joke at Paragon. They should take the first fair they get or be told to leave. I have boarded a taxi many times at Sombat Tour's location in bangkok and they always have taxis waiting and have never seen someone refused. I'm guessing if they refuse someone they aren't allowed back.

I never expect to get the first taxi that stops. Or the second. Actually, I'm surprised when I get a cab now.

I am, however, sick of the gladhanding. Oops...I missed the stop (when there is a trunk full of groceries), and the cabbie laughs and apologizes but he doesn't turn off the meter after missing the stop and the fare doubles.

Bring exact change to the baht, my friends.

Don't give them a tip. Ever.

Edited by KhunHehe
  • Like 1

While I have no doubt there are problems, I think perhaps there is not enough nuance in the understanding of this situation. Having once upon a time been a cabbie in the West, allow me to raise two issues.

1. The biggest problem of scammers, to me, are the guys who park on the sois and simply won't use the meter but instead focus on hassling passers-by into their cars, at which point even if they said they would use the meter, they won't, or will continuously whine about the cost of gas and why you should give them 100 baht more. The guys who are on the road being flagged or who are at the taxi rank at the airport always use the meter in my experience. (Caveat - I speak reasonable Thai so am less likely to be the target of a savvy scammer).

2. Taxi drivers most often refuse to give rides during shift change. Unfortunately, this often occurs during rush hours around 5 PM, when more people are trying to get cabs. The reason you're being refused is that the cabbie needs to get to his dropoff point so the next driver can start his shift. If you take him away from there, he's going to be late and get docked a fine by the cab owner, or have to compensate the next guy who is renting his cab if he's the owner.

So these points need to be kept in mind, to my mind. If you don't mind.

• Like 2

Twice in the last month I found myself on Khaosan Road. To find a cab home, I walked towards the river and tried to flag a cab among people being dropped off and a hoard of gawking police, I had to flag about 15 cabs before I could find one wiling to take me to the Sathorn area. This is also the case on Sukhumvit and Silom. If they see a foreigner, its no meter and pick and choose.. The problem multiplies exponentially when its RAINING.. Lets try calling the hotline and see if anybody can even get thru...

Just looked at the video above. People need to remember that only taxis showing the red-lit word 'wang' = 'free' are available for hire!

There's no point trying to flag down an unlit taxi ...... It also helps to stand near a parking bay/driveway entrance, not kerbside on a busy street, where if a taxi stops, they are going to close one lane of a very busy road ....

I just called the 1584 taxi complaint line. The recorded message is Thai 100% and does not even offer to press 2 or 9 for English. How do they expect a tourist to lodge a complaint if this is all they are offering? As from a previous article here on TV a couple weeks ago from Phuket, there was some discrepancy with which number was to be used. I started calling them and was finally directed to 1155 which is tourist police. I just had my gf call the 1584 number and asked how to get service in English and she was also directed to 1155 tourist police. Why don't they just put the correct number on there to start with? TIT !!!

• Like 2

Katipo -- "I can't see it changing in that area as the driver's there will assume foreigners don't know who to complain"

How was your experience with the agency when u complained? Was it a simple phonecall or did u need to complete a complaint form?

Laws and penalties are all very well but it depends on enforcement, or lack of, and too many policemen and general officialdom use the law to offer a simpler deal with discounted fine and no receipt

Will the legislation include any provision to ban drivers who repeatedly offend ? In any case they will probably continue to drive illegally and pay even bigger fines when caught

This is a good step forward alto I personally worry about reporting a taxi violation here. You never know what those "ex-farm workers" might do ... but I do not agree that they are "mostly ex=farm workers", etc. and therefore incapable of being courteous or having manners or understanding the concept of customer service.

And I do tip as long as I'm not being ripped off, like being taken for a ride by someone who 'claims' to not know where he's going. I do NOT get in taxi that won't use the meter ... but then, just last week I had to go thru 7 taxis before one would take me, on Sukhumivt at Nana, going to Ratchatewi. Odd tho, not one asked for the typical "100 baht" or "200 baht".

Yes, do use some Thai language - it might help.

And yes let's demand that department stores refuse to let such taxis pick up. If MBK can do it, so can the upscale places like Paragon and Central Chitlom, where it happened to me only 2 weeks ago. And when I started to get out, with all my bags, in the car park, the driver put on the meter. And then proceeded to ridicule me to the guards and the parking lot attendants as he drove out.

Taxis are very cheap, yes. In fact, the government should raise the dam_n rates and it's why I now tip pretty generously. But the no good deadbeats that pull this crap do need to be dealt with, too. It's a shame how they feed on innocent tourists and non-Thai speaking Asians.

The only times in my life when I am happy to see a cop is when a stupid taxi driver rejects me: I just tell the cop and instead of getting 100 Thb from me the driver has to give 100 Thb to the cop !!! SOM NAM NA ! Hate all these farmers on wheels !

• Like 1

I took the advice of a fellow TV member and started leaving their doors open in traffic if they refuse.

It's funny to see how angry they get when you're passive aggressive back at them.

You guys should try it, it's good for a laugh while you wait for the next taxi!

• Like 2

Such penalties would definitely be useful against Baht Bus drivers in Pattaya that refuse to pick up individual passengers along the second road. Last night was a prime example. I stood in front of Central trying to flag down a baht bus, I kid you not, I watched more than 10 pass me because they only wanted individuals or groups willing to pay 300 baht. There would have been a drastic reduction in baht buses last night which would have allowed traffic to flow instead of what it was, a twisted mess of wheels, feet, smoke and lights. Bring on the penalties and the enforcement, or better yet, regulate the volume of taxis and baht buses allowed to be on the roads.