Thailand's Prostitution Image Is Embarrassing

webfact

"Surprisingly, Thailand is a Buddhist country, which makes it seem strange that prostitution would be allowed to flourish. Thai women love to be prudent, yet there are a still a lot of working prostitutes."

OK, Buddhism is a religion of tolerance and unconditional happiness, if not unconditional acceptance with a mindfulness that all things lead to suffering, and subsequent feelings of love and more tolerance. I would like to point out how stupid foreigners look when they spout out crap like this article, and even worse, the Christianised derogatory tripe that I read in the comments section.

If you've ever been to Thailand, which most expats living in Thailand haven't, since they simple hang out with other old foreigners and don't even learn the language except for brief intermissions between one another when they've stopped complaining, you would notice that they get away with "immoral" things that foreigners don't, because of incredible cleverness. The way women act in Thailand would lead to being treated like a slut in a foreign country, but Thai men don't do that. Instead, foreigners come here and end up looking like complete <deleted> and the local women get branded as sluts.

I could go on and on, but first things first, don't start throwing around religion like that as mere decoration for what is clearly simply a bigoted opinion against the apparent unversal morality that all you angry fockos on this forum represent.

Some of the articles here are really good but I honestly look down on most people who comment.

Have a good one guys!

• Like 1

Prostitution exists in all countries because the amount of clients - and I agree that everyone who takes a prostitute is both condoning and supporting the idea.

I know a bunch of kids who wouldn't be in school were it for their sister(s) working in a beer bar / 'entertainment' venues.

Not condoning but pointing that there are two sides to the coin and there are different levels of prostitution / services + some people with very few options... not black/white.

Different kinds of customers too... some even end up as husbands wub.png

Some girls have independently moved their lives around as well.

not perfect, doesn't always work...

Just sayin' sick.gif (and no, not married to a bg)

Edited by hopdafru
  • Like 1

Let's be honest here, what is the difference between a ..... woman who drinks herself into oblivion and then sleeps with whoever comes first and a .... girl who does the same but takes the money for it?

One is a slut, the other is a prostitute.

Same ballpark, different game.

(nationalities removed as irrelevant to the labeling)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Do not people realize that every woman in Thailand is availiable, it just depends on what level you operate, which means how much money you have. When you read statements like I want someone to take care me, then you know where the action is. A few years ago there was an article in the Bangkok Post stateing there was 100,000 prostitutes working in thailand 60,000 in the Thai market and 40,000 in the farange market.

• Like 1

Bangkok has been known for prostitution since the 60's There is a reason the US soldiers came to Bang kok.

If they push the prostituion legality then they will drive it underground and it will still be here but the safety issues will be less. A true method would be to make them register but limit the number of shops or places you can have them.

Thailand has been known for prostitution since the 1600's. You are correct only forgot one zero and a one.

Wrong, Chinese/oriental concubism was the social acceptable form of 'prostitution' far before the 1600's and widely adopted in Thailand.

Concubines were selected in the early brothels...and were prostitutes.

These laws of concubism are still applicable nowadays in Thailand by the way.

Most posters here can not make the difference between Asian 'concubism' and Western 'prostitution'.

And now for something completely different and cetainly less embarrassing rolleyes.gif

Beauty with a purpose

Preena Shrestha,

The Kathmandu Post/Asia New Network

BANGKOK: -- If there was any implicit theme in the Miss Thailand World promotion event yesterday, it was the effort to disassociate beauty from its more common, superficial trappings.

Julia Morley, chairperson and CEO of the Miss World Organisation, certainly made this clear in her talk with the press.

"Our slogan is 'Beauty with a purpose'," Morley emphasised several times. "We're not about bringing together a bunch of empty-headed women who are only beautiful. This crown is a symbol of the quest to make a real, tangible difference in the world through real, tangible actions."

Morley was present at the event organised by BEC-Tero yesterday at the Maleenont Building. Standing next to her was the radiant reigning Miss World Yu Wenxia from China.

Yu too agreed that beauty pageants are generally misconstrued as being simply about physical perfection. "It's more to do with character," she says.

For Yu, wearing the crown for the last few months has been something she'll never forget.

The two beauties have been in Thailand since Wednesday, touring Chiang Mai and meeting Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra there before coming to Bangkok.

At the BEC-Tero event, Yu and Morley were accompanied by four former Miss Thailand World beauty queens from the years 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011 - Kanokkron Jaichean, Phongchanok Kungub, Sirirat Ruengsri, and Phatchalida Rodkongka - in promoting the upcoming Miss Thailand World pageant.

The competition will be held in April, and applications are currently being accepted. The former Miss Thailand World winners will be playing mentor to the new batch of participants.

Yu and Morley will be leaving for Jakarta on Monday. This year's Miss World pageant, the 63rd, will be held in Indonesia on September 28.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-16

Wow, concubism, prostitution, stut'ism, I am so glad there are many experts on tv to learn from.

Firstly, the sex-trade is entirely different in Thailand to elsewhere. Having a concubine, or second wife (mia noi), has been part of the Thai culture since forever. Accordingly, the Thais regard the sex-trade as an acceptable occupation and the ladies, themselves, refer to it merely as “working”.

I was hoping to hear/learn more from the 'other' experts : the usual prostitution clients...

Those who are struggling with the current Western relationship norms and the high incidence of divorce and loneliness in the west.

Those who all too often are lonely, inadequate, or find relating to women back home impossible.

Especially the older (experienced) men, who benefit from the oriental reverence for the elderly.

• Like 1

How about Thai people using the sex industry?

Isn't it easier to blame the Farangs rather than to see the whole picture?

Where do you see that they're blaming farangs? Farangs only supply about 10% of the prostitutes' customer base.

It's not about prostitution, It's about money. Find something else that pays as well, and Thai's will be on it.

There are plenty of jobs that pay better than the average hooker gets, but it requires effort, brains and morals, all 3 lacking in most Thai prostitutes.

Guess nobody in the Thai Culture ministry caught he movie Snakes on the Plane and this line "And any one of those slimy little pieces of sh*t can trip a circuit or a relay or a hydraulic and this bird goes down faster than a Thai hooker".

• Like 2

It's not about prostitution, It's about money. Find something else that pays as well, and Thai's will be on it.

There are plenty of jobs that pay better than the average hooker gets, but it requires effort, brains and morals, all 3 lacking in most Thai prostitutes.

Reasonable looking girl, nothing special about 60-90k a month

Please name those jobs that pay more!

Do not people realize that every woman in Thailand is availiable, it just depends on what level you operate, which means how much money you have. When you read statements like I want someone to take care me, then you know where the action is. A few years ago there was an article in the Bangkok Post stateing there was 100,000 prostitutes working in thailand 60,000 in the Thai market and 40,000 in the farange market.

Why pick on just Thai women?

Like the story of the man who goes to a swanky London party and asks one of the high society guests if she would sleep with him for 20,000 pounds. She replies that she would. So he then asks if she would sleep with him for 20 pounds.

Outraged, she says "What kind of woman do you think I am?"

The man replies, "I thought we'd already established that and now we were merely haggling over the price."

• Like 2

Minimum daily salary in Thailand is 300 THB/day for all Thais. (not immigrants)

This makes a mass/huge Thai population who works without using effort, brains and morals...

Edited by Thorgal

Vast majority of the girls working in the bars in Pattaya/ Phuket/ Samui can read, write, add subtract both English and Thai, at least the ones I have talked to in last 17 years. How many need 50,000 per month?, how many get 50,000 per month? Now go 30km East of Pattaya to Bowin and Pluak Dang and the the industrial estates, 100,000s of ladies earning 14-15k per month with the circumstances you describe, they prefer to work 10-12 hours per day rather than lay on their backs, or sit on their <deleted> on bars seeking out farangs. Working in factories on a production line requires speaking Thai that's about it, so simple 100,000s of non Thai speakers do it

• Like 1

Wow, concubism, prostitution, stut'ism, I am so glad there are many experts on tv to learn from.

Firstly, the sex-trade is entirely different in Thailand to elsewhere. Having a concubine, or second wife (mia noi), has been part of the Thai culture since forever. Accordingly, the Thais regard the sex-trade as an acceptable occupation and the ladies, themselves, refer to it merely as “working”.

I was hoping to hear/learn more from the 'other' experts : the usual prostitution clients...

Those who are struggling with the current Western relationship norms and the high incidence of divorce and loneliness in the west.

Those who all too often are lonely, inadequate, or find relating to women back home impossible.

Especially the older (experienced) men, who benefit from the oriental reverence for the elderly.

It's amazing how many TV posters have grandiose visions of being authorities on Thailand.

Aren't they aware that their utter lack of knowledge is readily apparent? Especially to those

whose academic (and career) area of expertise is Asian history, culture and languages.

Reminds me of the hill-billy shade tree mechanic who makes a complete fool of himself by

pretending to be a mechanical expert in front of the chief mechanic of an F1 pit crew.

Reasonable looking girl, nothing special about 60-90k a month

Please name those jobs that pay more!

Please name a place where Reasonable looking girl, nothing special about 60-90k a month works. Night after night same girls are sat in same bars all night scarping by on monthly salary and drinks tips of 30-40 baht per drink. Many now getting cut for not hitting drinks and other targets. minimum estimated working 500,000 all getting 60-90k per month!!!

The folks who think Westerners have higher morals than Asians are deeply deluded about the nature

of the human species. Stinks of white supremacy.

Even 50 or 60 years in Asia you won't learn much if your main focus is comparing your experiences

in Farangland with the sex tourist areas of Thailand. Common sense will tell you that.

The idea that Thailand has the most prostitutes in the world is a load of crap. At least 10 countries

(including several European countries) have higher numbers per 10,000 adult female population.

There are numerous surveys. Here is one: www.targetmap.com/viewer.aspx?reportId=10544

Edited by BradinAsia