Social Order' Takes The Life Out Of Night Life

sabaijai

I have been in Thailand now for about 2 years. From the headline of the article, I was afraid something new was happening in Bangkok. I was in Bangkok last month. Everything looks the same to me. Patpong was still alive and well too.

Maybe the reason these places closed was because they could not depend on Thai customers comming enough to keep it open.

The income of the average Thai person is not that great and prices in some of these places were higher than normal because they thought enough farangs comming would help generate a profit.

The only places that seem to have lasted since I have been here are the ones frequented by farang tourist. The income of the average farang tourist comming to Thailand is much higher.

These places also keep their prices realistic. Keep the prices to where the local Thai population can come and a place might last. Raise them because you think you will have farangs comming in to make you rich and your place will probably fade away.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No "news" in this article :-) The author speaking/understanding Thai should have still been able to be out at fun wild discos until at least 6am.

Without being restricted to sidewalks or second stoty black curtained .....

But nothing compared to the good ol' days right? In fact a lot of these late night discos are bars are just plain crap, and even then nights happen when no booze is allowed. Even Ratchada soi 6 was closed down for 2 nights the other week.

MOS is dead from zoning problems and terrible choices of DJs; it was fairly unwise to open in the same street as senators and politicians wanting to get sleep. 87 closed from being pants. All of these places ran up against zoning issues, which is not quite the same as 'maintaining social order'; rather it is about getting people to stop opening night clubs in residential neighbourhoods. Urine checks in Soi 4 and closing at 1am in the zone or 11pm outside it - that is social order. The crazy enforcement of no dancing was social order. But it is hard to have sympathy for clubs outside the zones.

Besides which how many Thai teenagers did you ever see at any of these clubs? These clubs (excl. Mystique because I didn't go there so cannot comment) were the domain of the Spasso, Rivas, Angel Disco type clubber crowd; hardly the genuine expat clubber! I suppose they did move the prosititutes out to other places, and there might be a few teenagers among that group...maybe.

87 is not closed. there was an aussie band playing during january and it was packed when i went. i was there again last week during bollywood night (i love banghra!) and it was chockas.

i hear Mystic has re-opened in the ex-MOS building.

Zouk is over-rated.

QUOTE(jef @ 2006-03-02 06:33:35)

Bangkok a dead town at night??? Are you joking????

Well compared to how it used to be, it certainly is.

Seems like a lot of people are crying about the good old days. You sound like my granddad. Maybe you just don't like the noisy sounds coming from those big black boxes. All the clubs in Bangkok are crap and full of yuppie wannabe ar*eholes anyway. You can always have a good night out in Bangkok like any other city unless your one of these types who just goes to the most expensive clubs and stands at the bar trying to look cool.

QUOTE(jef @ 2006-03-02 06:33:35)

Bangkok a dead town at night??? Are you joking????

Well compared to how it used to be, it certainly is.

Seems like a lot of people are crying about the good old days. You sound like my granddad. Maybe you just don't like the noisy sounds coming from those big black boxes. All the clubs in Bangkok are crap and full of yuppie wannabe ar*eholes anyway. You can always have a good night out in Bangkok like any other city unless your one of these types who just goes to the most expensive clubs and stands at the bar trying to look cool.

Point of fact is if I want to play pool on a decent table I can't play as long as I used to, and that annoys me. If I go Suan Lum for a few nice beers, then at 12:30 its last orders, that annoys me too.

If you can recommend me a place where I can get a nice draught pilsner and place some pool on a decnt table at 3-4 am in the morning then I'll concede my point, but there just isn't is there.

You can always have a good night out in Bangkok

The point is, which it seems you are missing entirely, is that later opening hours were better.

And if you read the article properly you might have noticed the bit about lack of foreign investment in clubs and bars out here because of these regulations, and that's one way to restrict the growth of better bars, clubs and music scene in this city.

VanZam Today, 2006-03-03 14:58:22 Post #5

Fun can still be had in Bkk... its just further away from farang eyes behind closed doors.

And here lies the problem. If we cant find it then how are the visitors going to. Asking the taxi driver is not a good idea, as we all know and even the concierge is likely to get his cut. The big problem is the way things have changed in the last few years. Yes it is still there but if you are in Bkk for a one or two week vacation you are not likely to find the action.

Like many things that are misguided this government seems intent on its own agenda rather than what is good for tourism in general. Pattaya and Phuket has seen the high seasons get shorter and the tourists that are wanting to spend their money get fewer. We do have more Asians with less cash to spend per capita but talking to them there is not enough to keep their interest for a second or third trip to LOS. Even they it seems are getting fed up with being told what time they should be tucked up safely in bed each night.

If things keep going this way then I agree that it will be places like Singapore with attitudes that are more liberal to its visitors that prosper and then Thailands beautiful, not, Gulf Beaches will revert again being the deserted paradises that they once were. I will now shut up.

Point of fact is if I want to play pool on a decent table I can't play as long as I used to, and that annoys me. If I go Suan Lum for a few nice beers, then at 12:30 its last orders, that annoys me too.

If you can recommend me a place where I can get a nice draught pilsner and place some pool on a decnt table at 3-4 am in the morning then I'll concede my point, but there just isn't is there.

Clearly you like playing pool. I thought the focus was more on the nightlife regarding night clubs rather than pool halls. I was on Silom 2 last Friday night, Tapas and the other place opposite went on til around 1:30 to 2:00. If one hour really bothers you then go out an hour earlier.

The point is, which it seems you are missing entirely, is that later opening hours were better.

And if you read the article properly you might have noticed the bit about lack of foreign investment in clubs and bars out here because of these regulations, and that's one way to restrict the growth of better bars, clubs and music scene in this city.

Agreed later opening hours are better. You can't change them though and those no point harping on about the good old days. Times change, learn to have fun under the new circumstances. You believe everything you read fo you. Lsck of foreign investment has little to do with I feel. Would you invest in Bangkok? It's simple Hong Kong and Singapore, for example, are more westernised and more lucrative markets and as such are a far better target for a westernised nightlife and music scene which is effectively what you are talking about. Have you noticed that it is often the under-20 Thai's who are most keen on this type of music (house, drum & bass etc.), i.e. the RCA crew. In fact I was reading an article recently which is predicting a boom in Bangkok's nightlife over the next few years due to the interest shown in these forms of nightlife and music by the younger generation.

Clearly you like playing pool. I thought the focus was more on the nightlife regarding night clubs rather than pool halls. I was on Silom 2 last Friday night, Tapas and the other place opposite went on til around 1:30 to 2:00. If one hour really bothers you then go out an hour earlier.

Agreed later opening hours are better. You can't change them though and those no point harping on about the good old days. Times change, learn to have fun under the new circumstances. You believe everything you read fo you. Lsck of foreign investment has little to do with I feel. Would you invest in Bangkok? It's simple Hong Kong and Singapore, for example, are more westernised and more lucrative markets and as such are a far better target for a westernised nightlife and music scene which is effectively what you are talking about. Have you noticed that it is often the under-20 Thai's who are most keen on this type of music (house, drum & bass etc.), i.e. the RCA crew. In fact I was reading an article recently which is predicting a boom in Bangkok's nightlife over the next few years due to the interest shown in these forms of nightlife and music by the younger generation.

Hardly any under-20's in RCA nowadays. You need to be 20 or over to get through the door for every big club and bring ID - no exceptions.

The crowd there nowadays is generally 20's to late 30's.

Hardly any under-20's in RCA nowadays. You need to be 20 or over to get through the door for every big club and bring ID - no exceptions.

The crowd there nowadays is generally 20's to late 30's.

Not true. My wife's sister and her friends go there all the time. They're 18, all there friends from school are there too. Same like many things in Thailand. It's about who you know.

Somehow I don't think people will be turning up in droves in Singapore.

After a quarter of a century of repression Singapore is relaxing it's entertainment laws...they know where the money is....and Bkk? Well thyt seem to be going in the opposite direction...they will of course lose their tourists in the end if they continue down this road. This article is particularly disturbing as it is from a foriegn paper so the news is getting out.

Lets hope they don't turn their attentions on Pattaya too much!

Edited by wilko

Yes and commies should live in China and anyone moaning shoud "go home"....just because 2.00am is OK for you it doesn't mean it suits everyone....

I'm sure my customers would be somewhat perlexed if I went out an hour earlier as I work till 9.30 most nights. add to that going home ,changing, eating, showering and there's not a lot of time left. The point about long or 24 hr opening is that it gives you a coice of where and when. The article is interestng because it is written from a foeiegn and therefore potential tourist point of view. The point being that the effects of the draconian restrictions is now being felt abroad and this cannot bode well for tourism in Bkk.

Clearly you like playing pool. I thought the focus was more on the nightlife regarding night clubs rather than pool halls.

Best pool tables and pool players in Bangkok are found in bars, and thus fall under the same nightlife regulations.

You believe everything you read fo you. Lsck of foreign investment has little to do with I feel. Would you invest in Bangkok?

Do you disbelieve everything you read? I know a few people that will not invest in the nightlife scene here because the opening hours are so precarious. And yep, I'd invest in Bangkok, but not in the nightlife scene because of the troubles it has.

In fact I was reading an article recently which is predicting a boom in Bangkok's nightlife over the next few years due to the interest shown in these forms of nightlife and music by the younger generation.

Not if the next step is closing at 10pm. :o

I think to be honest, after a period of time, the entertainment zones will gradually get later licenses and the situation will improve, much like it has done in Singapore. So that article may be right.

If one hour really bothers you then go out an hour earlier.

You are going to hear people say this a lot when this kind of thread comes up but it's not so simple if you are not on holiday here but actually live and work in the city.

For example, it's Friday night now, my gf will be coming home from work at about 8pm. If we decided to go out tonight then by the time she has some food, gets washed and dressed and we get ourselves to a bar or club it'll be 10 pm, leaving us 3-4 hrs to enjoy ourselves (in a choice of bars I mean, not just the late night joints that stay open, coz lets face it, most of them are crap). As such, no point going out tonight really, but if the bars and clubs were open until 4-5 am then we have much more freedom to go out no? :D

I'm sure my customers would be somewhat perlexed if I went out an hour earlier as I work till 9.30 most nights. add to that going home ,changing, eating, showering and there's not a lot of time left. The point about long or 24 hr opening is that it gives you a coice of where and when.

Well said, precisely my point, the nightlife laws as they stand effect the people that live here much more than they do tourists.

Ok bkkmadness. I'm going to concede the point here. I can't go any further coz I actually agree with almost everything you said, I just felt like an argument. Don't know why (had a few beers this afternoon - possible explanation), call me an ar*ehole if you want. Later opening hours are better and there is no possible argument to suggest otherwise. :o

PS I'm not being sarcastic I really mean this.

I don't know I think Pattaya should be burnt tothe ground. It's a sh*thole.

===============================================================

Wauw; what a super mature comment, mate !

I'll have you know, that I have lived in Pattaya-City for about 14 years and I seriously disagree with your opinion.

You remind me of my time in the Army: the guys who were constantly complaining about the quality of the food, were the same guys who barely ever got a decent meal at home. . . . . . . . .

Logic dictates that your origins must be some sight to see, huh ? ?

Grow Up, pal !

:o

Ok bkkmadness. I'm going to concede the point here. I can't go any further coz I actually agree with almost everything you said, I just felt like an argument. Don't know why (had a few beers this afternoon - possible explanation), call me an ar*ehole if you want. Later opening hours are better and there is no possible argument to suggest otherwise. :D

PS I'm not being sarcastic I really mean this.

No worries, this is a discussion/argument board after all! :D

Its true, I do like to harp on about the ol' days sometimes, but truth be told, at 29 yrs old now I'm a bit tired of clubbing myself so it doesn't bother me a great deal. OK, the pool bar thing does though, I do enjoy a good game through to the early hours!

I did actually read an ad on TV the other day though about a new place being opened up by I think the ballinhand crew at Times Square, but I think they misprinted the opening hoiurs as they put 11am-4pm :o . Hopefully thats 4 am though coz it's only a few subway stops from my place here and suit me down to the ground not having to walk through the jungle that is nana. I can't imagine they have opened a place that closes so early?

Enjoy the beers man and have a good nite out. :D

I read the article, in fact i posted it on my site a few days ago ***link to personal site removed***

My impression is that while it does get the gist, it is entirely wrong.

There are any number of bars in the patpong area other than Tapas and DJ station.

As another poster suggested there is lucifer, but much more to the poin is the funky dojo on patpong soi 2.

the dojo pulls its DJs from the bangkok club scene, which right now is stronger than it has been for years, drawing large name international DJs from far and wide. It also closes at 3.

As for her summary dismaissal of Astra, it leads me to believe that her Thai isn't as good as she might think. perhaps grandmother was what she actually heard.

To bring up tantra is even funnier as it was a very poorly executed version of what could have been ane excellent club. They just bought their liscence from the wrong cops, and it killed them. It was the owners fault, and not some bizzare new legislation that killed em.

I went out way too much last year, and most of it was in all night "proper clubs, though the occasional descent inot darkness was necessary.

One previous entertainment act still in effect is that in cities with a substantial foreign tourist presence, bars and discos can legally stay open till 2am. The list includes Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Samui and Chiang Mai. Only in Pattaya is the law officially recognized (though the practice in Pattaya now seems to be to let almost anywhere in S Pattaya stay open till 4am, no?). And on Samui and Pha-Ngan the early closings aren't enforced all that much. Of course the article was about BKK so this isn't relevant.

Can only speak of Pattaya, as I run a bar here, but the word of a 2am closure has not come to the authorities ears. Officially it is 1 am in Pattaya. There are rumors that Walking Street area gets an official 3am, but so far only rumors.

Fact is that practically all bars open longer, 2, 3, 4am or all night. Always with the help of a friendly guy in brown, and by dimming lights low, or turning the music down, or just hoping that the police guy coming up the street is from Pattaya, not from Chonburi or Bangkok.

For the unsuspicious tourist this all looks a bit weird, to say the least. Anyway, I'm off to Sinapore to test the waters soon!

Sunny

I don't know I think Pattaya should be burnt tothe ground. It's a sh*thole.

===============================================================

Wauw; what a super mature comment, mate !

I'll have you know, that I have lived in Pattaya-City for about 14 years and I seriously disagree with your opinion.

You remind me of my time in the Army: the guys who were constantly complaining about the quality of the food, were the same guys who barely ever got a decent meal at home. . . . . . . . .

Logic dictates that your origins must be some sight to see, huh ? ?

Grow Up, pal !

:D

Com'on guys u have upset my lunatic guru friend again.

Keep taking the yellow pills and u will carm down Jappfries.

Do u think it really matters apart from the comical relief that threads like these give people. :o

Alex seems to have issues, and rejection tops the list!! :o

BKK - you try Sin at Nana - I've been there til 4am. :D

Not really a fan of the place, and that's the point, lack of selection of places to go after certain hours. Don't the beers go up to 150 baht/small heineken and pool 50baht/game after a certain hour as well? :D:D

Alex seems to have issues, and rejection tops the list!! :o

BKK - you try Sin at Nana - I've been there til 4am. :D

Not really a fan of the place, and that's the point, lack of selection of places to go after certain hours. Don't the beers go up to 150 baht/small heineken and pool 50baht/game after a certain hour as well? :D:D

Yeah - mind you tell them your a member of TV, and they normally take care of you. :D

wowww what a long winded article ,this is a longish reply but covers 10 times the ground ,

she could of got that already well known old news information into a couple of lines,

is the writer a journalist perchance ? if so it should of been shorter , more a novelist I would say,

all the new rules are flaunted,

I had heard that the clean up, ie, closing bars at 1am , 12pm in some areas's [in particular the Chaing may gay bars] was instigated because Mr Thaksin himself didnt want to see his own children corrupted by the night life going on's ,

regarding Singapore-------its a lively gay scene ,however the singapore government who ever they be, are Anti every thing gay ,and anti every thing assumed to be sexually perverting ,good old respect and morals .

Thailand is a loser in one way ,

however it has actually increased it's tourist numbers greatly by promoting its self as a family orientated resort, In Russia THailand was voted most popular foriegn destination last year,

anyone seen the Jomtien hotels and the beaches , They are chock a block with russian families who have children, and they dont want to stay out all night, mind you they drink a fair old wallop during the day on the beach, Pattaya and other resorts have never been so busy, its only the pervs piss heads complaining

whats been lost in Bangkok bars for what they are worth has been gained 10 fold ,

did any one hear the rumour that the Chinese government had given the Thais ultimatum's that if the -sex trade wasnt cleaned up that they would barr chineses tourist's from visiting Thailand in number's,

I dont think teens should be deprived of well run entertainments -but lets face it if you over 30 years and havent had your fill of alcohol by midnight there is somthing wrong with your way of thinking ,or else you are just wasters and losers in life

why do folk need to get totally pissed out of their brains , as they generally do in theses place's,

perhapes the thais and singaporean governments are right ? but the brain dead piss heads wont agree !!

for tourists, whats the piont of going away to be sick in bed all day with hangovers ,

In my books a tourist is a person who travels around a place sight seeing !!!!!!! you know the grand palace ---------and all the other great sights THailand has to offer ,

BUt the piss heads and sex pervs -ahhhhhhhh ----------

just to add i think its high time that thailand checked people credentials before allowing entry into trhe country -as America does, No sex offenders or convicted Criminals ,

, its on the cards anyway ,

did any one hear the rumour that the Chinese government had given the Thais ultimatum's that if the -sex trade wasnt cleaned up that they would barr chineses tourist's from visiting Thailand in number's,

Closing the nightlife in certain areas is not slowing the sex trade at all, in fact some of the biggest brothels in Bangkok are in the entertainment zones. This is about nightlife, not the sex trade.

I do agree though that they are cleaning up the image of Thailand, that will give it a better reputation as a family destination and ultimately will bring Thailand more money, so business wise it's probably a good option, though I'm sure there are better ways to go about it that will suit not only the people living here but the tourism as well. Zoning seems to be a the best option but they could do with adding a few more hours in the zonesd, as I expect they will do over the years as Singapore did.

I dont think teens should be deprived of well run entertainments -but lets face it if you over 30 years and havent had your fill of alcohol by midnight there is somthing wrong with your way of thinking ,or else you are just wasters and losers in life

As was said before, if you go out at 10 pm then its nicer to have some later run establishments open. Don't look at this just from a tourist point of view.

Well one thing for sure.......Thailand is losing mass tourist dollars to Cities like Shanghai where the club scene is booming!

Some creative thinking on the Thai Government's part can easily fix this major problem....I wonder how much money the Thai Government is actualy losing?

Are you sure they are losing any? :o

Of course the nightlife scene loses money, but if Thailand becomes a more family friendly place because of it, that money will soon be made up at spas/restaurants/hotels/attractions/transport.

In fact I would imagine the tourism profit will probably surpassed by bringing in the families for their two week holidays.

I think most people have settled into the new nightlife laws and still come here and spend equally as much money, and the few hardcore nightscene revellers that do leave and go elsewhere is small potatoes.

Even with package deals, a good quantity of that cash must be going into the economy?

There was an uproar from loads of people when these regulations were first brought in saying they'd never come back here, but I expect only a small percentage have really decided to travel elsewhere for their holidays. I certainly don't think Thailand lost any tourist revenue when they closed the bars early.