Crash Kills Two Brits In Thailand

webfact

Britons killed in Thailand road accident

THAILAND: -- Two Guernsey residents who are believed to have been killed in a crash in Thailand, have been named.

newsjs

Peter Root, from the island, and Mary Thompson, originally from Bristol, died while they were on holiday in the country.

Police said family members have been informed, based on the identification of the 34-year-olds undertaken by the Thai authorities.

However, a spokesman said this had not yet been completed in accordance with local procedures.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk...ernsey-21467022

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2013-02-16

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bristol woman Mary Thompson killed in Thailand road crash

A WOMAN killed with her partner in a road accident in Thailand was from Bristol, it has been reported.

Mary Thompson and Peter Root, who were both 34, died on Wednesday, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office has confirmed.

It has been reported today by the BBC and the Guernsey Press and Star that, although the couple both lived in Guernsey, Ms Thompson was originally from Bristol.

Local TV station Channelonline.tv said that the couple were both artists, who were on a round-the-world cycling expedition they had started in July 2011 and which had already taken them through Europe, the Middle East and China.

An FCO spokesperson told The Post: "We are aware of the deaths of two British nationals in Thailand on February 13 and we are providing consular assistance."

Source: http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

-- This is Bristol 2013-02-16

Every day you can see westerns and Asian tourists / couples / families / groups on bicycles here in Chiang Mai. Nice idea.

I've often wondered how there are not more accidents.

Many of them would have never riden a bicycle before or haven't riden for years and are trying to keep balance and not paying enough attention to the cars, pick up buses, motorcyclists, trucks which are zooming past them, often very close.

A few days back I was driving past the River Market restaurant (one way road, not wide) and there was a group of about 25 tourists on bicycles all following a leader with a big flag, going the wrong way.

This may fix to the VAN Accident on Friday Morning has been between Doi Saket and Mae Kha Chan Hot Spring on the 118 Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai,

my tourguide wife told me.

Dead also a Tourguid sitting front, and two other people sitting first guest row. (Could be them ... ?)

Did't find another news about this

Well the two were a long ways into a 'around the world bike ride',

so they certainly were not new tourists riding like idiots.

But the article doesn't say they were on bikes at the time of the accident.

I am sure it was the usual 'local driving like and idiot' that took the poor folks out.

Mai bpen rai, Jatukamen Ramatep good luck icons, and driving should never mix

RIP the young adventurors.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Out of curiosity where did this happen?

It was only Wednesday, amazing they ca't tell us where and HOW. some other things need to be sorted as always. ???? sorry to read this but they sure will not be the last to die here, YOU are at a greater risk than you think when on these roads.

Will the usual dictum " guests in the country so if not here it wouldn't have happened apply ? "

Out of curiosity where did this happen?

It was only Wednesday, amazing they ca't tell us where and HOW. some other things need to be sorted as always. ???? sorry to read this but they sure will not be the last to die here, YOU are at a greater risk than you think when on these roads.

Will the usual dictum " guests in the country so if not here it wouldn't have happened apply ? "

" other things needed to be sorted as always " says a lot, dare we guess what the other things could be ?

Thai driving test = a couple of laps in a car park whilst the examiner watches from a safe distance.

The real driving test: You fail the first time no matter how well you drive. The Land Transport Office offers you the license for 5000 baht. Got it from a friends Thai wife. coffee1.gif She refused to pay and went round a second time, successfully.

On a tangential note, Thai's HATE confrontation or conflict, so keep talking until they give up. Be nice, but keep talking, and they will look for an easier target.

• Like 1

I have heard that it was a motorbike accident on Samui. My source? I had an sms from a friend in Guernsey saying. And i quote. "A Guernsey man and an english woman have been killed in a motorbike accident on samui. Have you heard anything, or do you know who they are."

Guernsey is fairly small, so talk spreads quickly.

Im guessing we shall find out soon enough.

RIP

This may fix to the VAN Accident on Friday Morning has been between Doi Saket and Mae Kha Chan Hot Spring on the 118 Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai,

my tourguide wife told me.

Dead also a Tourguid sitting front, and two other people sitting first guest row. (Could be them ... ?)

Did't find another news about this

If you look at their blog twoonfourwheels.com, it looks like they were just entering Thailand from Cambodia so they probably didn't make it to the North yet.

I have heard that it was a motorbike accident on Samui. My source? I had an sms from a friend in Guernsey saying. And i quote. "A Guernsey man and an english woman have been killed in a motorbike accident on samui. Have you heard anything, or do you know who they are."

Guernsey is fairly small, so talk spreads quickly.

Im guessing we shall find out soon enough.

RIP

I haven't heard this so far,

but there are so many here, it isn't instant news anymore... sadly.

Thai driving test = a couple of laps in a car park whilst the examiner watches from a safe distance.

Lmao!!! No, they actually just pay some tea money and they get their license. True story. I have Thai family here who can't pass the exam to get a license for their life in the US but all they have to do is pay your way for anything you want here in the paradise.

My sincere condolences to their friends and family, the roads in Bangkok and all over Thailand in general are getting so congested with unqualified incompetent drivers you cannot take your concentration away from the road and traffic for a second now.

• Like 2

Funny the articles on here say Full story and then give you a link, press the link and you get one more sentence. I am sure they could fit this in the main story, hardly taking up much room is it.

It's to comply with the news source's requirements that the whole article is not copied verbatim. (I think unsure.png)

Funny the articles on here say Full story and then give you a link, press the link and you get one more sentence. I am sure they could fit this in the main story, hardly taking up much room is it.

It's so they don't get penalised by Google for having duplicate content. That's the beauty of a forum - add dupe content, link back to the source, people discuss and create millions of impressions. Easy money!

Edited by Marcoose

It's to comply with the news source's requirements that the whole article is not copied verbatim. (I think unsure.png)

And that too.

your 100% spot on. the examiner put more importance on parking and wasnt interested in how they drove around the centre.

I watched this in Lamphun test centre, the driver doing the test had to reverse the car into a space between cones making sure they did not hit

the cones and also keeping the right distance from the Kerb ( app. 2 cm.) now ever since i have watched drivers parking and never saw anyone reverse into

a space. My Condolences to the familys of the two people.