Hand To Mouth.........

theblether

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entertaining stuff that........Meltdown Of The Day laugh.png

Imagine coming online to boast about leaving to explore the World at 33 cheesy.gif

Back in your box laddie......I completed my THIRD expat stint at the age of 27, on this forum you're surrounded by guys that crawled through the jungle's of SE Asia fighting for their lives at the age of 19, expats that trammelled across SE Asia on the Hippie Trail, went bouncing around Boogie Street when it actually had a soul, went bevvying like mad men in steamy Hong Kong, in among the many old timers that can remember what life was actually like in Thailand in the 60's/70's/80's because.......they were here!!

...........and yet you think travelling to see the World at 33 make's you something special. Wow.

Can I get your autograph? coffee1.gif

Anyway, back to the topic, it may well be the case that some people have decided that to live in Thailand without an income is the way to go, however the Thai authorities don't seem to share that view. There may be trouble ahead.

I feel bad about never exploring the world and never going anywhere exotic. I suppose my experience as a humble wage-slave is irrelevant, and I should keep my ill-founded opinions to myself. Notwithstanding that, I think my experience in the suburbs is no less Thailandish than life in the boondocks or lower Sukhumvit.

If a chap's been living in Thailand for a while, then he'll not be au fait with the mores of a country that he may have left many years ago, and I think Thailand is a far cheaper place to be poor than the UK; can't comment about others' home countries. Again, if he's been here a while, it's quite likely that he'll have lost contact with his friends from his youth, and his parents may have passed on as well. There's several amongst us who have no descendants on whom they could descend.

SC

And unfortunately for those struggling on Pensions,their retirement plans have been badly reduced by the exchange rate,and strong Baht.

I don't suppose anyone considered when they moved permanently to Thailand,that it would become a virtual social crime to be broke,at least in the opinion of the more affluent "I'm alright Jacks" amongst us!

18 February 2013 Last updated at 04:05 GMT

Thailand economic recovery picks pace in fourth quarter

_65939751_156238166.jpg

Thailand's factories have seen a recovery from the floods in 2011

Thailand's economic growth exceeded expectations in the last three months of 2012 as it continued to recover from the previous year's devastating floods.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-21495707

This a major reason for current upward pressure on the Baht which will affect all those expats who are not long on Baht. I have been converting and holding all my foreign earnings in Baht since 2003 which has been greatly beneficial. My US dollar earnings from 2003 held as Baht are now worth 140% of their 2003 value.

Smart move, very smart - but how did you predict this? I never could have.

I worked in Thailand in 1985 when it was about 17 Thai Baht to Australian dollar. I can't remember what it was against the USA dollar at that time despite the fact I was paid in US dollars.

My perception was that the Thai Baht had an intrinsic value better than B 44 = 1 USD in 2003 and the economy was roaring with a very high export growth rate. US dollar had flatlined after 911 taking European currencies with it. Also, to invest in Thailand I had to have Baht currency.

Thailand survived a lot of economic shocks since 2003 and has kept moving forward economically.

Entertaining stuff that........Meltdown Of The Day laugh.png

Imagine coming online to boast about leaving to explore the World at 33 cheesy.gif

Back in your box laddie......I completed my THIRD expat stint at the age of 27, on this forum you're surrounded by guys that crawled through the jungle's of SE Asia fighting for their lives at the age of 19, expats that trammelled across SE Asia on the Hippie Trail, went bouncing around Boogie Street when it actually had a soul, went bevvying like mad men in steamy Hong Kong, in among the many old timers that can remember what life was actually like in Thailand in the 60's/70's/80's because.......they were here!!

...........and yet you think travelling to see the World at 33 make's you something special. Wow.

Can I get your autograph? coffee1.gif

Anyway, back to the topic, it may well be the case that some people have decided that to live in Thailand without an income is the way to go, however the Thai authorities don't seem to share that view. There may be trouble ahead.

I feel bad about never exploring the world and never going anywhere exotic. I suppose my experience as a humble wage-slave is irrelevant, and I should keep my ill-founded opinions to myself. Notwithstanding that, I think my experience in the suburbs is no less Thailandish than life in the boondocks or lower Sukhumvit.

If a chap's been living in Thailand for a while, then he'll not be au fait with the mores of a country that he may have left many years ago, and I think Thailand is a far cheaper place to be poor than the UK; can't comment about others' home countries. Again, if he's been here a while, it's quite likely that he'll have lost contact with his friends from his youth, and his parents may have passed on as well. There's several amongst us who have no descendants on whom they could descend.

SC

And unfortunately for those struggling on Pensions,their retirement plans have been badly reduced by the exchange rate,and strong Baht.

I don't suppose anyone considered when they moved permanently to Thailand,that it would become a virtual social crime to be broke,at least in the opinion of the more affluent "I'm alright Jacks" amongst us!

Everyone is equal in my eyes.

He who hath no cash.... please cast the fist stone.

cheesy.gif

18 February 2013 Last updated at 04:05 GMT

Thailand economic recovery picks pace in fourth quarter

_65939751_156238166.jpg

Thailand's factories have seen a recovery from the floods in 2011

Thailand's economic growth exceeded expectations in the last three months of 2012 as it continued to recover from the previous year's devastating floods.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-21495707

This a major reason for current upward pressure on the Baht which will affect all those expats who are not long on Baht. I have been converting and holding all my foreign earnings in Baht since 2003 which has been greatly beneficial. My US dollar earnings from 2003 held as Baht are now worth 140% of their 2003 value.

Smart move, very smart - but how did you predict this? I never could have.

I worked in Thailand in 1985 when it was about 17 Thai Baht to Australian dollar. I can't remember what it was against the USA dollar at that time despite the fact I was paid in US dollars.

My perception was that the Thai Baht had an intrinsic value better than B 44 = 1 USD in 2003 and the economy was roaring with a very high export growth rate. US dollar had flatlined after 911 taking European currencies with it. Also, to invest in Thailand I had to have Baht currency.

Thailand survived a lot of economic shocks since 2003 and has kept moving forward economically.

PS I sold all my property in home country and transferred all my assets to Thailand with a view to staying in Thailand permanently.

Looked up 1985 exchange rate THB 21 = USD 1.00

PS2 I held my 1985 USD earnings in another currency - not Thai Baht.

Edited by Denizen

Actually, wouldn't it be a lot more productive if we all stop bickering about who has money and deserves to live here and he who is broke doesn't even deserve to have a name. Be they man or woman kind, black or white, Brits, German or USA, ex-military or bar girl bouncer.

We should all come together like one huge 1 million strong farang social club. Where those of us who have spare cash donate a % into a fund for those who are struggling. Open up blocks of subsidized condos in Pattaya, BKK and CM with resource centres for consulate advice and assistance with getting home, or at least to the islands for the full moon party.

Now I would be more than happy to contribute to help my fellow farang in need.

All we need now is someone who has the necessary logistical skills to set it up.

Any takers?

the type of person I'm talking about who's living hand to mouth through choice.

That's new. I thought, you meant those who ended up like this through incompetence or misfortune. Wouldn't it be good if someone makes a conscious fully-informed choice. Most, I'm afraid, don't.

Actually, wouldn't it be a lot more productive if we all stop bickering about who has money and deserves to live here and he who is broke doesn't even deserve to have a name. Be they man or woman kind, black or white, Brits, German or USA, ex-military or bar girl bouncer.

We should all come together like one huge 1 million strong farang social club. Where those of us who have spare cash donate a % into a fund for those who are struggling. Open up blocks of subsidized condos in Pattaya, BKK and CM with resource centres for consulate advice and assistance with getting home, or at least to the islands for the full moon party.

All we need now is someone who has the necessary logistical skills to set it up.

Any takers?

There are already organizations which do this. Each farang's national government. All they have to do is go to their embassy and request passage back to home country where all these goods will be laid on.

bangkokburning has every right to his personal point of view without being ganged up on here.

right you are JT. but i find it quite disgusting that he doesn't spend at least half a million Baht for three months living. vhat is rong viss him? vhy is he so stintchi?

l-dog%20small.jpg

bangkokburning, on 2013-02-19 16:16:31, said:

Half million baht for three months living. Disgusting.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Any takers?

In other words, you want to create a system that rewards irresponsibility and want me to pay for these losers that I've never met, whom likely lost their money drinking, whoring and being stupid.

No thanks Jeff, I didn't travel to Thailand to become part of another nanny state.

I will be happy to help people with mental disorders or physical handicaps. But no way in hell am I helping someone who's only challenge is greed, stupidity, alchohol or being too horny.

• Like 1

^^ No.....he's looking for a Taker.

Get with the programme Sir. coffee1.gif

I think we need a kind of education effort instead. Sort of like 'Just say no' but use 'Just go home' instead.

wai.gif This topic is about people that just won't go home under any circumstances, even if it means breaking Thai law and jeopardising future retirement requirements and visas for the law abiding solvent farangs.

We've had a comical meltdown by a member here that seems to object to people with any degree of financial solvency being in Thailand. That's a form of inverted snobbery. If you can't afford to abide by the visa regulations in Thailand then just......go home!! before you start damaging those that try their best to abide by the rules.

Just sayin' coffee1.gif

Losers think they are winners...

Winners know they are Winners!

The problem with many Expats living in Thailand is they live in a delusional state of mind. Lets be honest...they were losers in their home country and moving to another country doesn't change their personality or lifestyle!

Any takers?

clap2.gif sounds good but I'm afraid the money would disappear faster than in any corrupt organization/country out there, even faster than in places like Laos or Zimbabwe...

You really do make me ill.

Most, most, most of the guys on this forum had no thought of Thailand, absolutely ZERO clue until 10 years ago. I saw the wave as early as the Internet (boom 97) when "sex tours" became popular. Years after word sort of got out that yeah, Thailand is safe enough for a diy sex holiday.

Meanwhile, I'd lived in Cambodia for a number of years starting pre UNTAC election. I'd been up in Lao as early as Feb 95, was in Vietnam well before diplomatic ties were established with my country. been to Myanmar multiple times (first traveler to stay in New Bagan) and traveled all around Pakistan in 97. If I had a solid travel partner, I would have gone to Afghanistan.

You don't know shit about these countries, otherwise you would not discount my age and story. Lao, Vietnam and Cambodia all fresh and new again and I was there and you obviously were NOT.

I had traveled a great deal in the US by age 12. By 18 I had seen most of Mexico and made multiple trips to Baja. I stopped traveling to put myself through school. I graduated, then got right back on the road after making some money.

Very, very few guys here fought in Vietnam and most did were just grunts although they will all tell you they were tunnel rats, macvsog, spooks, etc...

Fewer still as we can see were hippies, real hippies. Fewer still made it to Asia and looking at the recent thread -essentially none made in to Thailand. Why? Because it was where the war was, not the party. In fact, the party was in California - where I lived.

Please spare me the lecture and the World History course.

You are so typical of the <deleted> in Thailand, neigh the world now. Hooray for me, the hell with you.

Do you look on all people that did not inherit wealth and title as you did as bums and miscreants or just white people?

You attitude is very, very, very unThai. Which questions why you are even here. Answer...like the po' folk because its CHEAP. Lets face it, if you were a real man of any means you be in south Europe on a yacht not hanging out in cheap restaurants that stumblebums frequent.

Go home.

Hey man you've not travelled and lived till you've smoked an Afghan water pipe with a head tribesman or experienced an outer body experience in India and come back as a holy man wandering the land living of handouts.

Your post is very uncool, take a chill pill, sit back catch some rays. Maybe eat some cheese and wine...

Nah...there are too many tourists eating cheese and wine. He will pass on this....unless its moon cheese...but not from Pattaya.

^^ No.....he's looking for a Taker.

Get with the programme Sir. coffee1.gif

I think we need a kind of education effort instead. Sort of like 'Just say no' but use 'Just go home' instead.

wai.gif This topic is about people that just won't go home under any circumstances, even if it means breaking Thai law and jeopardising future retirement requirements and visas for the law abiding solvent farangs.

We've had a comical meltdown by a member here that seems to object to people with any degree of financial solvency being in Thailand. That's a form of inverted snobbery. If you can't afford to abide by the visa regulations in Thailand then just......go home!! before you start damaging those that try their best to abide by the rules.

Just sayin' coffee1.gif

Uhm.. That's almost agreeable, but not all the rich are good and not all the bums are bad..

The Thai Government know long time that with the good come the bad,regardless of bank account.. and i have to say that at times the Thai average working people look more democratic than my own people ( or tolerant towards diversity ), despite not being educated by western standards.

Although i feel somehow uncomfortable to see destitute foreigners, live and let live is better .

Just saying coffee1.gif

pff i worked on that a long time. Apologies.. I wanted to say its important to return to the crux of the OP. I wouldn't call it replaced or inverted snobbery but delusional that some guys think they are living thte dream with only pennies top spare..